PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Tricksters with familiars? Rules legal...?

prototype00
2017-10-15, 05:42 PM
So I’ve seen quite a few threads talking about Arcsne Tricksters with familiars. But isn’t Find Familiar a Ritual spell? And Arcane Tricksters do not have the Ritual casting class feature, how are the getting access to this?

Am I missing something in the rules?

Avonar
2017-10-15, 05:47 PM
Casting a spell as a ritual is an optional way of casting a spell. If a class can cast rituals then they can choose to spend an extra ten minutes casting it which does not expend a spell slot. However they can also cast it without the additional time and spend the slot which is NOT casting a ritual.

An arcane trickster could still cast a spell with the ritual tag in the regular way, spending the slot, but cannot choose to take the additional time to save the slot.

prototype00
2017-10-15, 05:52 PM
Excellent. Did not know that, thank you very much.

Toadkiller
2017-10-15, 05:53 PM
That’s the scoop ^^^^^

Another handy way, especially for a variant human, is to take the magic initiate feat (wizard). Familiars are fun and it nets two additional cantrips which helps the AT feel a little more magical. At least to me.

Arkhios
2017-10-15, 06:04 PM
That’s the scoop ^^^^^

Another handy way, especially for a variant human, is to take the magic initiate feat (wizard). Familiars are fun and it nets two additional cantrips which helps the AT feel a little more magical. At least to me.

If anything, as the variant human feat, Magic Initiate lets a rogue feel magical even before 3rd level, which is quite nice too.

8wGremlin
2017-10-15, 07:12 PM
I also like the Ritual Caster (wizard) feat, you get 2 1st level rituals - find familiar and alarm a good.
and then you can add rituals to your book when you adventure.

Good think about this is that you can add rituals of a spell level = your level/2 (there are exceptions that limit this)

I currently have a Fighter/Ranger of level 11 that can cast nearly every wizard ritual upto level 5!
makes him super handy and versatile.

Leomund's tiny hut, is an excellent place to sleep/defend, Find familiar is awesome and Phantom Steed is great!

Zehinoc
2017-10-15, 08:02 PM
That’s the scoop ^^^^^

Also, getting a cantrip like green flame/booming blade can be good with sneak attack.