PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade 13 / Oathbreaker 7

Spacehamster
2017-10-16, 02:02 AM
If UA allowed this build seems quite powerful(yes know it does not get the full utility before end game).

Variant human: + 1 CON + 1 CHA
Feat: polearm master
Skill: perception
Background: Outlander

Ability score after modifiers: 15/8/16/8/8/16

Fights with quarterstaff + shield and full plate,
Gets triple CHA to damage, uses CHA to hit, uses his 4 ASI's to max CHA and puts CON to 18, dunno what feat to pick for the last ASI tho any good suggestions?

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 03:00 AM
Always worth mentioning that it's a big if whether a DM allows you to use a polearm master's bonus action attack with a shield in hand.

Spacehamster
2017-10-16, 03:50 AM
Always worth mentioning that it's a big if whether a DM allows you to use a polearm master's bonus action attack with a shield in hand.

Most would as its the rules? You hit them with the stick then bop it with the butt end of the stick as it says nothing strange about it. :)

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 04:56 AM
Most would as its the rules? You hit them with the stick then bop it with the butt end of the stick as it says nothing strange about it. :)

It doesn't make sense to me that you somehow could do that with only one hand. Polearm weapons are generally wielded in two hands, and the butt-end attack is clearly intended to be made when you hold the weapon with two hands. Just think about it. If it would work, then you should be able to do it with any of the listed weapons, not just with quarterstaff. Note, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. And the DM is ALWAYS the final arbiter of rules, whether the player agrees or not. it's more safe to not assume it works without a doubt.

Spacehamster
2017-10-16, 05:06 AM
It doesn't make sense to me that you somehow could do that with only one hand. Polearm weapons are generally wielded in two hands, and the butt-end attack is clearly intended to be made when you hold the weapon with two hands. Just think about it. If it would work, then you should be able to do it with any of the listed weapons, not just with quarterstaff. Note, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. And the DM is ALWAYS the final arbiter of rules, whether the player agrees or not. it's more safe to not assume it works without a doubt.

True, luckily I am the "rules" guy of our group so when somebody else than me DM we go by the rules I use when DMing. :)

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 05:19 AM
True, luckily I am the "rules" guy of our group so when somebody else than me DM we go by the rules I use when DMing. :)

Well, that's good for you then. Just saying it might not pass in all tables though.

Mikal
2017-10-16, 09:01 AM
If UA allowed this build seems quite powerful(yes know it does not get the full utility before end game).

Variant human: + 1 CON + 1 CHA
Feat: polearm master
Skill: perception
Background: Outlander

Ability score after modifiers: 15/8/16/8/8/16

Fights with quarterstaff + shield and full plate,
Gets triple CHA to damage, uses CHA to hit, uses his 4 ASI's to max CHA and puts CON to 18, dunno what feat to pick for the last ASI tho any good suggestions?

By doing this you're actually losing out on damage thanks to not gaining the 14th level hexblade ability.
With it, you can use your curse at will (albeit against a single target at a time), no longer worrying about a short rest, and, more importantly, using it against more than a single target during any particular battle (though again, only one target at a time!).

So, as a paladin you gain an additional +5 to melee weapon damage at level 20
In exchange for this, you lose +5 to all damage regardless of type, crit on 19-20, a 50% miss chance on attacks against you, plus shadow hound abiities starting at level 14 from a single opponent. In addition, the +5 damage to everyone becomes a +6 at level 17.

I'd actually stay a hexblade until 14, and then go sorcerer (if you want more smite slots), fighter (battlemaster for more melee fun), or a mixture (or perhaps even EK)

Regarding feats, I'd choose sentinel. You're already doing OAs when they enter range, why not do it if they try to leave, while also rooting them to the location? Also note as a fighter 6 you'll get two ASIs, at 18 and 20, so you could do that and bring your con to 20 if you want, or something else.

Spiritchaser
2017-10-16, 10:05 AM
By doing this you're actually losing out on damage thanks to not gaining the 14th level hexblade ability.

This was my thought as well.

I think any reasonable mix of these ATs is going to be strong, but the 14 ability is a lot to go without.

As for one handed PAM... the whole idea that polearms attack faster seems absurd to me, one handers most of all. We need a revised PAM feat.

But if it’s cool in your campaign and doesn’t break immersion for you... go for it I guess.

Finlam
2017-10-16, 10:11 AM
Gets triple CHA to damage,

Can you break that down for me? I see the level 7 pathbreaker aura grants +CHA to damage and the level 1 hex blade ability grants +CHA to damage... where is the other +CHA from?

Dudewithknives
2017-10-16, 10:13 AM
Can you break that down for me? I see the level 7 pathbreaker aura grants +CHA to damage and the level 1 hex blade ability grants +CHA to damage... where is the other +CHA from?

Lifedrinker invocations I would assume.

Mikal
2017-10-16, 10:19 AM
Lifedrinker invocations I would assume.

Yup, that would be the most logical choice since GFB would negate the extra attack and PAM bonus attack.

As for one handed PAM... the whole idea that polearms attack faster seems absurd to me, one handers most of all. We need a revised PAM feat.

But if it’s cool in your campaign and doesn’t break immersion for you... go for it I guess.

I've always pictured it like a baton twirl in one hand by the wielder. Goofy looking to be sure, but... possible? Would love to see someone try it in real life.