PDA

View Full Version : Crazy character concept: burning grappler

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 05:39 AM
One thing led to another in a discussion with a friend, and I came to envision a tad crazy character concept:

A tiefling Valor Bard with Tavern Brawler and Grappler feats, utilizing Heat Metal, a LOT.

Yup. Heating your OWN armor with the spell, then go to town and hug people! Yes, you would take damage yourself, but as a tiefling you have resistance to fire damage, and you could/should probably take War Caster as well to make it easier to cope with the concentration checks from taking damage.

I know this idea is nuts beyond measure, but god damn isn't it fun!?

Citan
2017-10-16, 06:14 AM
That is extremely stupid...

I love it \o/.
Plus there are certainly other ways to cope with fire damage... Grabbing hp related feats, picking Aid and more importantly the EE spell that imbues you in fire later although a 6th level spell...

If you manage to survive up to 17th level you can wish yourself immunity to fire... : )

Also dont forget to grab Greenflame Blade, Absorb Element and Elemental Bane to complement your set. ; )

Just note that as far as I understand it Grappler gives you advantage on attacks as in weapon attacks but does not translate to checks you make as replacement. So if your idea is solely to deal damage through twin hug it is useless. If however your dm allows you to hug as part of the grapple then make a weapon attack then it will be useful especially paired with some smite spells or ensnaring strike...

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 06:49 AM
That is extremely stupid...

I love it \o/.
Plus there are certainly other ways to cope with fire damage... Grabbing hp related feats, picking Aid and more importantly the EE spell that imbues you in fire later although a 6th level spell...

If you manage to survive up to 17th level you can wish yourself immunity to fire... : )

Also dont forget to grab Greenflame Blade, Absorb Element and Elemental Bane to complement your set. ; )

Just note that as far as I understand it Grappler gives you advantage on attacks as in weapon attacks but does not translate to checks you make as replacement. So if your idea is solely to deal damage through twin hug it is useless. If however your dm allows you to hug as part of the grapple then make a weapon attack then it will be useful especially paired with some smite spells or ensnaring strike...

I think barbarian levels might help a little with reckless attack! xD

But no, the gist of the idea is to maintain the grapple and deal continuous fire damage to the target as long as they are grappled and in contact of the armor, because Heat Metal lets you deal the damage again as a bonus action. The rest of my attacks would probably involve weapons and the like.

Ventruenox
2017-10-16, 06:53 AM
I'd also suggest the Barbed Skin UA feat. If you weren't imposing disadvantage on your own attacks and ability checks from the Heat Metal, this would be a better concept.

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-10-16, 07:03 AM
That sounds similar to what a barbarian of mine did.

When faced with a pack of gnolls my barbarian proceeded to cover him self in tar and lit himself on fire. Then he went into a rage and ran flaming at the gnolls. upon seeing a flaming, raging orc, they retreated. Not before a few were incinerated though. :)

Sirithhyando
2017-10-16, 07:09 AM
I dont remember all the details, but there's an ability from mastery of fire from the mystic that let you be encompass by fire.
Hugging would definitly hurt the other but you wouldn't take damage. :smallwink:

nickl_2000
2017-10-16, 07:13 AM
I dont remember all the details, but there's an ability from mastery of fire from the mystic that let you be encompass by fire.
Hugging would definitly hurt the other but you wouldn't take damage. :smallwink:

I think this is the one you are looking for

Fire Form (5 psi; conc., 1 min.).
As a bonus action, you become wreathed in flames until your concentration ends. Any creature that end its turn within 5 feet of you takes 3d6 fire damage.

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-16, 07:14 AM
The Forge cleric will be able to do this even better once they hit level 17 (which many players likely will never get to, but still). Being completely immune to fire damage will let you do this all day, and even allow you to drag an enemy into something like a Wall of Fire or other semi-permanent fire damage source.

Citan
2017-10-16, 08:17 AM
This, coupled with the UA Barb Path that also gives some burning damage to close-by creatures, and Fire Shield, could achieve much better result...

But, let's be honest: isn't the greatest thing of Arkhios's idea precisely the fact that his character is ready to hurt himself to vanquish his foes?

This is like manliness pushed to the extreme... XD

I think barbarian levels might help a little with reckless attack! xD

But no, the gist of the idea is to maintain the grapple and deal continuous fire damage to the target as long as they are grappled and in contact of the armor, because Heat Metal lets you deal the damage again as a bonus action. The rest of my attacks would probably involve weapons and the like.
Then I'd say might as well use both hands to Grapple two creatures no? So you don't care about Grappler, you can instead grab another feat like Tough or Inspiring Leader, then go as high caster as you can and grab Fire Shield.

In fact, I'd argue that Fiend Blade Warlock 7 / Lore Bard 3 would work better than Valor Bard 10 for that reason: you would not lose much on AC (mainly the +2 for shield if you planned on grabbing only one creature, and maybe 1-2 points of AC from light armor only) but you'd still have Expertise in grappling, so you could keep both creatures grappled, and stack a Fire Shield (and possibly upcast AoA) on top of that, every short rest.

nickl_2000
2017-10-16, 08:20 AM
This, coupled with the UA Barb Path that also gives some burning damage to close-by creatures, and Fire Shield, could achieve much better result...

But, let's be honest: isn't the greatest thing of Arkhios's idea precisely the fact that his character is ready to hurt himself to vanquish his foes?

I would be pretty fitting for a bare chested barbarian who rages, lights themselves on fire, and charges into battle. Mechanically that's a lot harder to accomplish though

Sirithhyando
2017-10-16, 08:21 AM
Exactly !

Yeah but you can be wreathed in fire and do lots of heat metal, you'll just be even more dangerous. :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 02:42 PM

He gets it (btw, thanks!) XD

No pain, no gain. Right? Right.

However, Forge Cleric isn't all that bad to be honest, actually.

I don't know why, but something about dwarves' stubborness has always appealed to me, especially with R.A.Salvatore's depiction of Thibbledorf Pwent's and Bruenor's "suck it up" attitude in the face of danger.

I think I might try and see if Battlerager/Forge Cleric would be good way to go with this concept, because, adding that self-sacrificing manliness on top of dwarven stubborness... Man, I want to play a character like that!