PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Well [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Maurkov
2007-08-15, 11:33 PM
The Well is shaped like a bowl. The entrance is at the top level. A split leather sheet covers the doorway and keeps wet jungle air from precipitating rain indoors. The second level down is smaller and contains the bar and a stage. On the lowest, smallest level, several derricks are positioned, supporting chains which disappear into the eponymous well.

The decor caters to adventurers. Tables are covered with glyphs and maps, partially obscured under clouded varnish. Weapons and tools adorn the walls. There are drow funerary masks, portraits of famous adventurers, and the skin of some enormous serpent or dinosaur.

This evening, someone is working above the stage, adjusting an everburning lantern. It seems there is to be a show.

Bigmac
2007-08-16, 03:08 PM
The leather flaps at the entrance are pushed aside as a solid man enters the tavern. Barrel chested and broad shouldered, the well tanned man wears a finely crafted breastplate exquisitely engraved with a flying dragon on the front. His dark hair is pulled back into a ponytail in rough fashion exposing a strong chin covered by about a week’s growth of scruff. Black tattoos are etched around his eyes, cheeks and forehead to create a truly frightful countenance. Rough hands wipe the sweat from his brow as he begins to make his way down to the second level. He carries a massive sword on his back in a scabbard covered in many colored scales. The handle appears to have been made from a massive creature's tooth as the natural curvature of the bone makes for a sure grip. Besides the weapon the man seems to carry little else, save for something held tightly inside his left fist. He walks towards the bar area with singular purpose, oblivious to any other patrons or activity in the room. His stride is quick and powerful, his path direct, and within moments he stands at the bar, looking over it with a lustful gaze. He slams down his left fist on the counter releasing what few coins were in his hands. "Bartender! Bread, cheese, the rest for beer."

Maurkov
2007-08-16, 05:17 PM
The barkeep is a small man of middle years with crinkly eyes in a guileless face. He interrupts a quiet conversation with another patron to serve the newcomer. He meets Yergal's gaze, but calls over the barbarian's shoulder, "Soph..."

"I heard 'im."

He says to Yergal, "Tell you what. This one's about empty. You help Soph wrestle up a new keg and I'll give you the first draught. For free."

Bigmac
2007-08-16, 06:23 PM
Free beer was almost enough for Yergal to smash someone's face in. Hauling a beer keg up would be no problem. The man gives a deep chuckle to the bartender and says, "Sure." He uses the same determined stride to make his way over to Soph. "Let's go."

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-16, 06:38 PM
A few minutes later, a halfling dressed in a dark green tunic with a pair of pale leggings (both in equal amount of slight disrepair). Looking over his shoulder as he pushes through the leather flaps, taking one last glance at his earthy-green coloured clawfoot companion standing near the entrance with it's bridle tied to a slightly worn post, he strides into the familiar space of The Well. Long hair tied back out of his face, the halfling heads down the familiar pathway to the second level, and jumps up to a seat at the bar, a couple seats down from where the human with the large sword was. Flagging down the barkeep, he says

"When you get a chance, I'll go for a bit of bread, cheese, and meat-with something to wash it down with as well. Also, my friend is tied up out front, I'd appreciate if you'd send up something raw for him as well."

He pauses to think for a moment, and then adds
"In fact, bring me the meat, and I'll take it to him. I'd hate for someone to lose a finger or two again by being stupid enough to tease him."

He takes a look around, and can be heard to say in a quiet tone
"Now that guy was an idiot-who would tease a hungry clawfoot? ...This place hasn't changed a bit, has it?

Maurkov
2007-08-16, 11:38 PM
The barkeep stops Yergal, "Wait until she returns. It won't be a moment." He slides over to help the Althan.

"Threehorn okay?"

Soph returns (the kitchens are off the level above). Not all halflings are jolly, and with her manner, it's obvious that she's working for something other than tips. She climbs a stool in order to drop a plate of bread and cheese in front of Yergal. She'd actually be cute if not for the frown.

"The same for Althan, and the roast. Some scraps for his animal..." She crosses her arms and waits for him to finish. "But before that, I need another keg. This man will help you."

She sighs. "Come on, fish-boy," she says impatiently.

The barkeep is apologetic, "She normally works in back. But as you can see, we're short handed."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-17, 12:01 AM
Dugby

He'd been up and down a few times, by now, to check on his animals. Although he'd yet to have an issue beyond someone losing a stray cat or a child getting its face licked a bit much, he was always concerned that something, or someone might convince them to misbehave even against his skilled training. Fortunately, having been a patron of The Well for a few years now, he was allowed to leave them in a spot alongside rather than in front of the establishment. This kept them just off the busiest street and out of direct sunlight during those times when The Bug required The Well during the daylight hours.

This trip, he'd come bearing gifts. Both animals were resting calmly in the humid, but comfortably cool evening air. From behind his back, he produced a pair of meat slabs, cut thick and still quite raw, and tossed them down, one to each. After wiping his hands on a towel he'd slung over one shoulder, he waggled a finger at one, saying "And don't try and eat his again, understand?" The animal's bright yellow eyes might have indicated understanding, but it was already too busy shredding the meat to provide a proper answer.

He turned and took up the path he'd used to get to street level, calling without turning his head, "Behave."

Back down he went, through a few back halls, through one kitchen, and on down into the room he'd used to while away the last few hours, waiting. Making a beeline to his table, one situated just left of center before the stage and only two back, he took his seat, tossed the towel onto the table, grabbed up a mug that had remained undisturbed in his absence, and casually watched a hand finessing the final touches to the stage.

So far, he hadn't bothered to check the rest of the room, having since given up on being diligent. The men he hoped would heed his offer should be arriving today, but the vagaries of travel might mean another night of waiting. There was also the fact that he wasn't even sure any would be interested in gathering again. Then again, there were two commonalities across them all: they all enjoyed the thrill of discovery, and they all enjoyed the profits that came of it. This trip promised each, and enough for both fists.

He took a draft of ale as he kicked his feet up onto the edge of the table, causing his chair to tilt onto two legs; but only a bit.

In a rather loud, but pleasant voice, he tossed a question to the stagehand, "What've ya got for us, tonight? It better not be more from that incompetent magician you thew at us last time! He's lucky Fezil wasn't here, as usual--he would've torn him apart!" Whoever Fezil was, he clearly wasn't fond of bad prestidigitators, and not very restrained about letting people--especially the perpetrator--know it. The image was, apparently, also quite humorous, as several others--probably regulars like Dugby--joined the knowing laughter that followed the drollery.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-17, 12:11 AM
Althan

Althan first nods at the bartender's question, and later grimaces at his oft-heard pun, and says to him
"You know, I might need a couple of drinks at that...I'm meeting up again with the old crew, and I'm not sure just how sober I really want to be for it. That, and the beer will help numb the pain from that horrible pun."

With that, Althan grins up at the bartender, and asks
"How's business been, eh? I'd imagine quieter without the lot of us causing a ruckus everytime we come in from our trips.

Cogito
2007-08-17, 07:23 AM
Wroen

Wroen watches everyone as they enter the Well, sitting at a table on the top level together with two Drow. He is alternating between taking a bite of bread and talking calmly to the uneasy-looking Dark Elves, who keep glancing around as if they might be attacked any second. A few minutes later Wroen removes a leather bag from his belt, drops it on the table, and takes the vials of an almost transparent fluid which the Drow hand him together with a shining white wooden stick.

Wroen then makes his way downstairs where he had heard Dugby's voice, and greets him: "The new one, remember? I'm wondering if you've got anything yet, I'm somewhat in the need for a few coins."

Still relatively young, Wroen looks a good decade older than he is, his face weather-beaten and telling of more than a few brawls, although his black hair, still wet from the rain outside, covers a good part of it. Pale gray eyes are looking expectantly at Dugby from behind it.

Bigmac
2007-08-17, 11:02 AM
Yergal grabs a huge bite off the loaf of bread, pratically half of it at once, and begins to chew it with breadcrumbs spilling out as his mouth can bearly contain it. Her name calling didn't bother Yergal. He knew these people feared him, and naming him a boy helped to calm that fear. If only she knew. It was only after many hours spent under the sting of the speaker's needle that had he earned passage into manhood. He was too busy eating to say anything to the smalling girl so he simply nods and follows her lead. This bread was making him thirsty and the sooner he had ale in his hands the better.

Maurkov
2007-08-17, 01:20 PM
Yergal

She leads him down the ramp to the lowest level. Standing next to the well it's downright chilly. She points out one of the chains. "Take that one."

"It's counterweighted," she explains as she unlocks the mechanism. The apparent weight decreases by three quarters (to about 70 lbs), and Yergal is able to raise two full kegs from the depths. With her controlling the arm and mechanism and him the chain, they unload one and return the other to the well.

She looks from him to the keg, challenging him to carry it unaided.

Althan

The barkeep grins. "We're short handed. She's short tempered. Whatever'll keep you drinking. I don't know how long I can keep this up... but then I always was short sighted."

Dugby

Seeing as he's handling a lantern, Dugby gets a good look at the man. He's at least half elven, wearing a flashy forest green and maroon doublet. Dugby also catches a glimpse of mithral beneath it. Finishing his task, the man calls down, "Only three things could explain how she might fail to amuse you: You're warforged, or you're undead." The unspoken third option earns some titters.

Wroen also notices the entertainer's armor.

The elves have a disconcerting way of holding a signing conversation with each other while still talking to you. After the deal is made, they head for the exit, but not without first glancing at another table on the second level, where four more drow are seated.

Bigmac
2007-08-17, 02:04 PM
Yergel smiles at the smalling. He had no reason to impress her, but he also had no reason not to. He shurgs his shoulder and says, "Why not." He squats down next to the keg and then gabs it on both sides with his hands. As he stands up he lifts the keg over his head, arms bulging and hands firmly gripping the barrel. He looks over at the woman and calmy says, "After you"

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-17, 02:20 PM
Althan

Grinning gleefully, Althan banters back with the familiar barkeep.

"You wound me to the quick. Really, though...those are some of the worst puns I've ever heard you use before. Keep this up, and you'll have a big problem-trying to restock all of what I drink to make up for it."

Althan looks over to the stage, and notices the heckling from the audience-and also sees who is actually doing it.

"Hold that thought-I'll be back in half a moment. I think I see an old friend."

With that, Althan slides off the tall barstool and drops nimbly to the ground. Sauntering over to where he saw his old comrade (and winking appreciatively at some of the few women in attendance), Althan, a grin still on his face, says to him
"Oi, Dugby! When did you get here? I didn't see your mutts outside when I got here."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-17, 06:22 PM
Dugby

Dugby laughs at the cleverly vague bard's inference, retorting rather uncouthly, "I'm neither of those, and there are at least a few young ladies in the area that can attest to the third not being th...."

The last words are cut short as Wroen arrives and speaks up.

"Ahh, yes, of course. Glad you followed through. Have a seat and we'll talk a bit while waiting for the others." He waves a hand at one of the empty seats and retakes his own. Almost before either could move, a familiar voice cut through the low din of the room.

Dugby turns to the voice and a wide grin breaks out almost instantly. "Althan! Haha! Even if Darryn doesn't manage to show, this was worth the wait. Come on, have a seat. By the way, have you gotten shorter in the past year?" Dugby's face went serious, but only for a moment, as he couldn't refrain from chuckling. He never could keep a straight face when joking with Althan.

"Oh, and I've been here since yesterday, abouts. Figured I'd settle in again, just in case anyone showed early. No dice, but you know how much I like this place, so it's all fine and well by me. And the mutts, yes, well, unfortunately, I lost Cheese out near the Vyshik ruins not long after you all left for home after we finished our last expedition. I'd rather not go into the details, though; but so Korn wouldn't be left without a partner, I wasted no time acquiring one for him--you no doubt remember how playful he can be." Althan would have to have lost all his memory not to recall the many times Korn had pinned him down during play and all but drowned the halfling in slobber.

Dugby grins at the shared memory. "I think you'll find my new charge rather interesting. They're both around the side, which is why you didn't see them when you arrived. I expect I'll see Gix, later as well, eh? I'll be sure to keep my fingers away from his tail this trip." He jokingly holds up a hand with two fingers curled up out of sight. It was close to being true.

For the moment, the late twenty-something, early thirties, Aundairian had effectively forgotten Wroen and his questions.

Cogito
2007-08-17, 07:50 PM
Wroen

The darkly clothed ranger sits down as the other two talk, his eyes moving between them as if trying to memorize their appearance to the smallest detail.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-17, 09:27 PM
Althan
Staying completely straight faced at first, later breaking into a sardonic grin, Althan jokes back
"I stopped shrinking last time you saw me, actually. Luckily for me I ran into a few halflings at a bar, and they took me for one of their own. Best week of my life, let me tell you that. Too bad about Cheese, by the way, but I'm glad you got another playmate for that overgrown mongrel of yours. That damned thing doesn't have a thought in its head but "Play?" any time it sees me.

Gix is fine, he's out front. I'll take him some meat later, didn't want to scare everyone out of here-again-by taking him up to the bar. Who knew you humans were so testy about that kind of thing? Or stupid around hunters, for that matter. Who in their right mind would go grabbing a clawfoot as big as themself by the tail when he's feeling more than a bit peckish? Other than you, naturally.

Looking at the young human in the dark clothes, Althan asks Dugby while flashing his seemingly ever-present grin
"New member? Host, but why can't you get someone older? I'm sick and tired of having to be the grown-up between the lot of us because you younglings can't settle down."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-17, 11:43 PM
Dugby

"Sometimes you just have to test things for yourself," he says with a shrug, insincerely dismissing his poor judgment as nothing more than what anyone might do.

Althan's question drew his attention back to Wroen.

"Sorry about that. You know how it is, eh?" he asks rhetorically by way of apology. "This is Althan, a rather talented ranger out of Talenta plains. One of our returning crew, in case it isn't obvious."

To Althan, he says, "He may be rather young, but I've done the vetting myself. And don't forget, he's only a few years younger than Oren was, so..." He'd thought to mention Oren as little as he could, but it wasn't possible to avoid it entirely.

"Anyway, my contacts seem to think he can handle the position, but as the charter states, you and Darryn will have the option to question and reject if you see fit. If Darryn doesn't show...well, you know the drill."

Turning back to Wroen, he attempts to slide some of the burden from his own shoulders onto those of the new man. "If you would, why don't you lay out your credentials for Althan while I go grab us some more ale. We'll probably need it eventually."

He was already standing and moving off as he spoke the last words, heading to the counter and waving down the barkeep.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-18, 02:33 AM
Althan

Althan calls out to Dugby as he goes to the bar, and says
"Get my order too, if you would, thanks."

Turning to Wroen, Althan introduces himself, and says to him
"All right then, tell me about yourself, if you would."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-18, 06:49 AM
Dugby

"Sure thing, Althan," he says over his shoulder as he closes the gap between the table and the counter....

Maurkov
2007-08-18, 01:07 PM
Soph nearly smiles at Yergal's bravado. Once she's aimed him in the right direction, she heads back to the kitchen.

Dugby arrives at the bar in time to step away again as Yergal unloads the keg. "Not bad, and in armor, too." The barkeep fills some mugs, and offers the first, with a flourish, to Yergal.

Soph returns with a tray containing plates, loaves of bread, a round of cheese, and a sizeable piece of roast dinosaur. She says to the barkeep, "I know how much pleasure it gives you to watch me run in circles, but we're swamped. Help out. I heard you used to be good with a knife." Emile's grin vanishes for an instant. Realizing she crossed a line, she hurries back to the kitchen, ignoring several patrons who are trying to get her attention. He pours more beer and makes up Althan's plate.

Cogito
2007-08-18, 04:35 PM
Wroen

"The name's Wroen, I grew up here, know this city inside out, and I don't have the bad habit of dying every other time I step outside the city."

His introduction might have sounded better if Wroen hadn't made it a hundred times before. But as this is the case, his voice has a great similarity with that of a Stormreach tax collector.

"Is he always that way?", he adds and nods towards Dugby

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-18, 04:41 PM
Althan

"Is he like what? And thats all fine and dandy, but what do you really do? What are you good at?

Bigmac
2007-08-18, 06:02 PM
Yergal grabs a few deep breaths of air before nodding to the bartender and taking a deep swig from the tankard. He wipes the few stray drops off his mouth with the back of his hand. "Thanks for the drink. And anytime you need another, just yell for Yergal." He grabs the remaining chunk of bread and stuffs as much into his mouth as it will hold, more than reasonably possible. He looks over the room for the few moments it takes him to swallow the food. He turns back to the bartender for a second. "Know anyone named Dugby?"

Cogito
2007-08-18, 08:09 PM
Wroen

"Never mind." Wroen returns to look at Althan.
"What I'm good at? Hmm... I suppose I'm pretty good at recognizing danger before it recognizes me, I know my way around traps and locks, and if someone gets hurt I can fix that, too. And I'm not too bad with a bow. 's that enough?"

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-18, 10:14 PM
Althan

"Right then. Weeelllll...I guess I wasn't going to say no anyways, 'less you rubbed me the wrong way. Far as I say, you're in. Have you seen the charter yet? I don't know if he's kept it on there, but theres a clause down by the bottom that you might want to ignore...I think Dugby here was fairly drunk at the time, and thought it would be funny to...well, you'll see it for yourself. I really hope you can take a joke, and give back as good as you get, or you might feel a little awkward with us.

Maurkov
2007-08-18, 11:50 PM
"Know anyone named Dugby?"

"Sure. When I see him I'll let him know you're looking."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-19, 03:22 AM
Dugby

Dugby reaches the counter, taking up a spot to the right of the barbarian, nodding politely as he usually does to all the patrons. He then turns attention to Emile.

"Three ales, fresh ones, eh? And I'll take Al's food while I'm at it. Seems Soph's a little preoccupied," he says amiably, as he leans backwards against the counter, resting on his elbows and watching the rest of the room.

Cogito
2007-08-19, 02:58 PM
Wroen

"He hasn't told me about a charter. I never knew adventuring parties had charters. Don't tell me that you also have a name?"

Wroen really looks a bit unbelieving, not sure if this is a joke.

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-19, 04:31 PM
Dugby

Dugby wiggles his fingers and flexes a foot while he waits for Emile to finish prepping Althan's plate. When it's ready, he turns and collects the plate with one hand and the three tankards with the other, looping fingers through the handles, one by one.

Carefully turning back again so as not to slosh anything--a very bad thing according to Soph--he takes a step back toward the table, then stops and looks back at the barbarian.

"I'm the one you're lookin' for, young man. Come on over to my table, assuming you're interested in a position with my company. If it's anything else, we don't have the time for it right now." With that he makes his way back to the table, decorating it with his gift of food and ale, and has a seat.

He says to Althan, "I think we have one of our extras already." A glance to the barbarian serves well enough for Althan to get the idea.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-19, 06:37 PM
Althan

As Dugby is preparing to head back to the table with vittles, Althan explains to Wroen
"Of course we have a charter...how do you think we figure out how to divide pay, and stuff. We've had a few names, actually...we'll probably have a new one. I let him do it so I have something to laugh at him about, most of the time."

When Dugby walks up, food and drink in hand, and mentions the new extra to Althan, his expression twists to a look of great (and completely jokingly) personal anguish, raises his hands to his temples, and says in a clearly mock-anguished tone of voice
"Host, why did it have to be the hulking strongman? Why couldn't it be a wonderfully nubile young woman for once? What did I do to deserve this?"

Laughing, Althan stands on his seat, and introduces himself to the tattooed swordsman, and asks him to take a seat.

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-19, 11:17 PM
Dugby

This time, Dugby receives the sarcasm for what it is, chortling under cover of a scratched chin.

"And he looks to be only about half your age. That should make your day."

Taking a draft of ale, he slides back in his seat, relaxed but somewhat pensive as he wonders silently where Darryn is. It would be a shame not to have him back on the team for this one, but perhaps it made sense. He didn't take the loss of his kin very well, though he tried to keep it buried after the initial outburst. It would be understandable.

Another draft is slowly swallowed as Dugby returns to the moment.

Cogito
2007-08-20, 07:26 AM
Wroen

Wroen takes one of the mugs and drinks silently while Althan and Dugby are joking around again. Then he stretches out his hand towards the large man.

"I'm Wroen, also new in this... group."

Bigmac
2007-08-20, 08:28 AM
Yergal grabs his cheese and ale, one in each hand and follows after Dugby. As he reaches the table he gives the smalling a quick nod and a fearsome smile. When Wroen extends his hand, Yergal slaps his own hand against his chestplate with a resounding thud. "Yergal." He then grasps Wroen's wrist with a frim grip and nods to him as well. He turns to the table, still standing and looks towards Dugby. You Dugby? I am Yergal. Son of Hrothmer. Kin of dragons. Champion of Drandor. Marked by destiny. Forskaen of Seren. What is it you would have of me?"

Maurkov
2007-08-20, 02:13 PM
The bard, seated in the dark beside the stage, begins playing a tune on a recorder. He hunches over the instrument, elbows on knees, face down turned, totally focused. Those nearest start to quiet down, and the effect widens like ripples spreading across a pool. The piece is simple and short, but as he reaches the end he begins it again, this time adding counterpoints. A third time, now, and a third voice enters. He plays recklessly, with furious abandon. Fingers, instrument, breath all seem inadequate to the music he conjures. It's beautiful and horrible, like watching a airship crash. He lurches to his feet, tearing the instrument from his lips, and with it points at the stage. At her.

She stands at the edge of the spotlight, an exquisite drow. She's not looking at him but disdainfully surveying the crowd. She walks through the spotlight and across the stage as if she'll have no further part in the spectacle, but even this simple movement is enthralling. She was made for this. Before she can reach the edge of the stage, the bard sweeps his arm down and begins to sing.

"Dance, girl, here before me. Dance with passion...."

She tosses her pale silver mane, and the ripple down her hair is echoed by a ripple of her body. She turns and effortlessly leaps away, turns again with a crescent kick, head high. His song is commanding. Her dance evasive.

"The ice gets colder as the heat increases. You'll have to crawl... before tasting her kisses."

He climbs onto the stage. He song becomes entreating, her dance seductive.

"Where there is smoke, there is also fire. Wherever she is... there is desire."*

She dances near, and though she never touches him, there's an uncomfortably voyeuristic element in addition to the visceral one. She dances further away and his song becomes plaintive. She exits off one side of the stage, and he the other.

Spot DC 12:
Four drow at a nearby table take a keen interest in the dancer. One writes something down.

From the same Spot check, DC21: The writer holds the paper near the floor, where it is taken by a small animal, perhaps a weasel. The weasel keeps cover as it scampers off and heads for the door.
One used to drow knows that they tend to twitch and fidget. These sit very still as the woman dances.

((*Lyrics stolen from 80's euro synth-pop. Artist and song title escape me at the moment.))

Cogito
2007-08-20, 02:30 PM
Wroen

(OOC: Spot at Bar (1d20+8=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1216291))

Wroen arches an eyebrow as he sees the drow before he shrugs and returns his gaze towards the dancer, now less entranced with the woman than before.

fendrin
2007-08-20, 06:49 PM
Darryn

It is at this moment that the leather flaps on the door give way to a lanky young man of moderate height. He is dressed in simple traveler's clothes, and carries nothing but a well used leather pack on his back. He is also completely wet.

He shivers a bit and wipes his chestnut-brown hair from his face, revealing two blue eyes. If it weren't for the look of utter annoyance on his face, he would be quite attractive. Oh, and of course, being soaking wet doesn't help.

Darryn stares at the dancer for a moment, then, shivering again, looks around the room. Spotting his old companions, he nods in greeting and walks over to them, leaving a watery trail as he goes. His boots make a distinctive squishing sound as he walks.

He pulls up a chair from an adjacent table and sits in it backward, Resting his arms on the back of the chair. "Hey fellas, how's it going?" he looks over at the two new faces. "So these would be the new folks. Pleased to meet you. My name's Darryn." His eyes narrow a little and turns his head back to Dugby.
"From their looks I'm guessng neither of these two men are mages. I told you we need a mage! Oren only had a few cantrips, but still it was better than nothing.

Shivering some more, he reaches into his pack and pulls out a large woolen blanket "This would be the first time I've wished this place were warmer."

character sheet
Darryn Colherth
NG Male Human Artificer 3
Exp: 3150/6000
Str _8(-1)
Dex 12(+1)
Con 12(+1)
Int 16(+3)
Wis _8(-1)
Cha 16(+3)

Hit Points 15/17 = 6(lvl 1)+8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3040562&postcount=120)+3(con)
Action Points 5/6
AC 15 = 10+1(dex)+4(armor)
Touch 11, Flat 14
Init +1
BAB +2, Grap +1
Speed 30' (base 30, light load ??/26, light armor)
Fort +2 = +1(base)+1(con)
Refl +2 = +1(base)+1(dex)
Will +2 = +3(base)-1(wis)

Standard Attacks
|+1 melee_, Club, 1d6-1 B__, ___20/x2
|+3 ranged, Club, 1d6-1 B__, ___20/x2, 10'r

Speaks Common, Draconic, Old Elven, Giant

Skills (32pts)
|Concentration_______ +_7 = 6(ranks)+1(con)
|Craft(Armorsmithing) +_7 = 4(ranks)+3(int)
|Decipher Script_____ +_4 = 1(ranks)+3(int)
|Disable Device______ +_9 = 6(ranks)+3(int)
|Know(Arcana)________ +_5 = 2(ranks)+3(int)
|Know(Architecture)__ +_5 = 2(ranks)+3(int)
|Know(The Planes)____ +_5 = 2(ranks)+3(int)
|Open Lock___________ +_7 = 6(ranks)+1(dex)
|Search______________ +_9 = 6(ranks)+3(int)
|Spellcraft__________ +_9 = 6(ranks)+3(int)
|Use Magic Device____ +12 = 6(ranks)+3(cha)+3(feat)

Feats
|Legendary Artisan____ [Human]
|Extraordinary Artisan [Level 1]
|Scribe Scroll________ [Artificer 1]
|Brew Potion__________ [Artificer 2]
|Skill Focus(UMD)_____ [Level 3]
|Craft Wondrous Items_ [Artificer 3]

Class Abilities
|Artificer Knowledge (+6)
|Artisan Bonus
|Disable Trap
|Item Creation

Infusions
|Lvl1 4 DC14 *
|Lvl2 2 DC15

Cogito
2007-08-20, 07:53 PM
Wroen

"Wroen."
The ranger is still following every move of the dancer, and barely notices Darryn's remark about nedding spellslingers. No, I'm no mage."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-21, 01:53 AM
Dugby

Having listened patiently to the barbarian's lineaged title, Dugby responded simply. "We need you to swing that sword and not die while doing it. I won't ask if you think you can do that; the answer is written on your face. Why not have a seat and relax a bit while we see if this night's entertainment is enjoyable or not. We'll get down to formal business a bit later."

Dugby watches the dancer and listens vaguely to the bard, his song being of far less interest to him. When the two exit the stage, he takes a draft of ale, and says, "Not bad. Better than the magician, and a damn sight easier to look at. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always wondered what it'd be like to..."

The druid's lascivious train of thought was interrupted as Darryn finally made his appearance.

"Well, there he is! A dramatic late arrival; I should have expected that. And yes, these appear to be our new men, assuming the charter is to their liking. So, did you decide to swim the Thunder Sea to get here this time?" His approach to Darryn was markedly different than that to Althan, being far more low-key, as if he adapted his social talents to the temperament of the one being spoken to. He still inserted a quip, which seems to be a common conversational aspect for him.

OOCSpot - [roll0]

fendrin
2007-08-21, 08:13 AM
"Hah, very funny. 'Swim the Thunder Sea'. No, some sailor or other just thought it would be fun to kick the gangplank loose while I was crossing it. By the Host I hate sea travel! I swear next time I'm going to splurge for an airship pass."

Bigmac
2007-08-21, 03:53 PM
Yergal seems a bit displeased that Dugby doesn't want to get business out of the way. He remains standing at the table, not wanting to adjust the huge sword on his back so that he could sit in a chair. He shifts his weight onto his back foot as he begins to watch the performance. As he watches, he turns so that he can keep the Drow on the very edge of his peripheral vision while welcoming the newest member of he group. Not sure what to do, Yergal give the man a silent nod when he introduces himself.

When the man begins to speak about airships, Yergal feels compelled to speak up. "The skies belong to dragons. I would not venture through them."

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-21, 05:45 PM
Althan

Spot check (1d20+4=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1218209)

Drinking from the human sized tankard given to him and admiring the view atop the stage, Althan is absorbed wholly into the thought of enjoying the moment of now as long as possible, when he notices a group of drow near the stage, and their actions. Wondering just what exactly happened, he is distracted by Darryn's sodden entrance, and sits for a moment, thinking of just how he wanted to greet him. With Dugby taking first move, he at least has a few moments to think about it, and says to him

"Hullo there, Darren. You're looking well, and a little underdressed, if memory serves. Also, why an airship, so when they kick the gangplank on you, you'll at least stay dry? Although, I have to say, flying is definitely my preferred method, when it has to be done."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-22, 12:50 AM
Dugby

Dugby chortles at Yergal's remark. "Don't let any Lyrandar hear you say that. Bad for business."

A glance back at the stage changes the subject. "Hmm...well, it looks like that was the extent of the show, so I suppose we can get down to the business at hand. Since we have two of the three spots dealt with, I may have to put out another notice for the third, but it's only a contingency position, so we can do without it."

He takes what is obviously the last draft from his tankard and slides the container to an out of the way edge of the table. A moment later he's drawn out a scroll which he unwinds, clipping the ends to the weighted rollers so it remains open on the table, then withdraws a pen from a slot in one of the rollers and dips the nib into a small depression in the opposite roller.

"Alright, this charter has not been amended or modified since our last expedition," he says to Althan and Darryn, "So, it's up to you if you wish to reread the whole blasted thing." Dugby's already halfway through laying down his signature at the top of the open area by the time he finishes his words. When the last sweep of the trailing letter in his surname is drawn, he lays the pen across the charter and slides it to Althan.

He then turns his attention to the two new men, "I suggest you both read this document so you know how things are expected to work. Generally speaking, we adhere to the intent, but make final decisions on what we need to do when a situation faces us. It is more a pact between us, as members of the company, than a strictly legal document. We have never had a need to call it into play in any court, and we don't wish to change that. Remain honorable, use your wits, and don't underestimate the value of cooperation in these jungles, and we shall each profit nicely."

Dugby's small speech was completely out of sync with the light demeanor he's so far exhibited. His intensity clearly illustrates that he values integrity and honor above most else and demands it from the entire company. Besides, lack of either has decimated many expeditionary teams in the past years, and none of those teams returned much profit from dying.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-22, 01:07 AM
Althan

"I'm fine, thank you-I'd hate to have to laugh at you again if I read the whole thing through. I'm heading up for a minute, before anything serious starts. I want to check on Gix, bring him some food."

With that, Althan signs away very simply the name "Althan", and hops down with the remainder of his food (a rather large and sumptuous looking piece of meat), and begins to head upstairs to the entrance.

fendrin
2007-08-22, 07:01 AM
(responding to Althan)
"Underdressed? What... oh I get it. Well, I sold my armor. You'd be surprised at what a market there is for used but functional gear there is in Sharn. As for the rest, I've got a new toy." He pats his pack. "So much more convenient and much lighter."

(reponding to Dugby's spiel about the charter)
"Actaully, I have a bit of a confession to make. When I filed the charter last time, I made a few... alterations. Well, one anyway. I, well, removed the last paragraph. Joke it may be, and all in good fun, but this IS a legally binding document. Also, just as a reminder, and for the new folks, my skills are available at cost while in town, subject to my discretion of course."

Cogito
2007-08-22, 08:23 AM
Wroen

Wroen takes the parchment and begins to read it in silence. From time to time he looks up at Dugby before returning to the parchment. When he is through he reads it twice more, takes the pen and signs.

"And what might your skills be?"

Maurkov
2007-08-22, 01:54 PM
Spot DC 23The weasel's back.

The bard returns to the stage to accept applause, and with some encourgement, the dancer comes up as well. She's wrapped herself in a gray cloak, either against the chill or for modesty. They bow, and she tries to slip away again but he hangs on to her hand. He says, "We're heading to Sharn, so if any of you are in the area, I hope you'll come see us again. I'm going to play a some more now, but I'll tone it down a little. Don't be afraid to have a conversation or get something to drink. If we're lucky, Lahara will dance again later." He looks adoringly at her.

One of the drow has stood up. His hair is cut asymetrically, chin length on one side and much longer on the other. He wears a cloak over carapace armor. He calls, [Old Elvish]"You don't belong here. Come with us. Come back to Erilorn."

Lahara wants to be anywhere but there. She pulls free of the bard and makes for the edge of the stage.

The drow takes another step forward. [Old Elvish]"He wants you back."

She freezes, then turns to face him. She gestures, extending a pinky upwards and pointing with her thumb at the second knuckle.

The drow gapes. His hands clench into fists and he begins striding towards her. Someone in the crowd stands up to block his path, but in one smooth motion he draws and fires a hand crossbow. The man stiffens and drops. Two more drow from his table have stood. A third remains seated.

((Althan is a the top level, still on his way to feed Gix. I suppose it's time for initiative. My imagination has surpassed my mapping skills so I'm having a little trouble showing the layout. I'll try again tonight.))

Bigmac
2007-08-22, 02:46 PM
Yergal

Yergal makes no move to read the document or even look at it. He seems to simply ignore the charter altogether, despite Althan and Wroen's interest in it. Hopeful that no one will say anything he instead takes his cup and finishes it's contents before calling out to whatever staff might be near, "Bring me some more!". Despite his attempts to ignore the charter, his body language reveals that he sees it as something dangerous, trying to keep his distance with objects or people between him and it without leaving the table or area altogether.

When the bard comes back Yergal gives the man and his lithe companion his full attention, thankful for a distraction. Stuffing the rest of his cheese into his mouth in case anyone was going to talk to him he gazes lustfully at the dark skinned dancer. Yergal gives an amused look as the two elves converse in a strange language. Even he could tell that the man was upset by whatever gesture she had made. He'd have to remember it. At the first sign of violence Yergal's face brightens up with a fearsome smile. He gives a loud cry as he springs into action.

Yergal darts from the table, his powerful legs pushing him faster than most in such heavy armor. He moves between the drow and the stage and smiles as he says, "You go no further"

init=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1220230)
Yergal will ready an action to try and grapple the drow if he tries to move past the barbarian. If the drow instead tries to attack him with a weapon, Yergal will go on full defense.
Touch Attack = 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1222416)
Grapple Check = 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1222418)
damage = 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1222422)

Cogito
2007-08-22, 04:25 PM
Spot.2 (1d20+8=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1219849)

Wroen
Wroen's eyes flick back towards the Drow while the bard is talking and grips his bow tightly, an arrow ready in his other hand when he hears what they are talking about.
When the fight begins Wroen remains seated, watching the still sitting Drow with interest.

Knowledge(Local) (1d20+6=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1219863)
Have I ever seen the guy before? If so in which context?

fendrin
2007-08-22, 09:28 PM
Darryn

(responding to Wroen) "A craftsman of magical goods. An armorsmith as well, though my skills in that area have, ah, atrophied of late."

initiative (1d20+1=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1220483)

Darryn reaches into his pack and pull out a paper scroll.

"Of course, there's not much point to being able to create magical goods if you can't use them"

Calmly unfurling it, he reads the contents aloud.

UMD scroll of Web (cl 2) DC 22 (1d20+14=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1220497) oh, forgot +2 for artisan bonus, so actually a 30... aimed at the table of drow

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-22, 09:43 PM
Althan

Hearing the beginnings of an altercation, though he doesn't quite know what of, Althan makes a quick decision. Having left his main weaponry with the saddle and pack, he rushes outside, leaves the plate, and grabs his trusty Tangat, as the lengthy Sharrash might do more harm than good in the close quarters. He dashes back to the bar.

init (1d20+2=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1220522) Well, someone had to go last.

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-23, 08:21 AM
Dugby - Init=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1220229)

Wroen's question was about to be answered, but it was entirely derailed by the drows' disturbance.

Dugby mutters under his breath as he stands, his seat falling back to the floor behind him, "I suppose we'll find out..."

He grabs for the pendant hanging from a thin gold chain around his neck. Gripping it in one hand, he steps to the side, and hunkers down behind an adjacent chair and the table, putting them both between himself and the drow.

Once there, he begins to intone ancient druidic phrases. With his head tilted slightly downward and one hand forming half-visible gestures, he appears almost as if imploring his god to keep him from harm. His eyes, however, aim themselves at the drow, their intense stare hidden by his lashes. The words issue in a strange cadence that does, in fact, sound much like a prayer, "Ia lytsem is, isereat so is sat, ias rie it lia ait lov, itsyt syht lok ilodylyt...."

OOC5' step around the edge of the table away from the direction of the drow, taking cover there, and beginning Summon Nature's Ally II spell. Trading in a Flaming Sphere spell for this.

Cogito
2007-08-23, 08:42 AM
Wroen

Initiative (1d20+3=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1221214)
Ready action to shoot at the sitting drow if he does anything to join the fight.

Maurkov
2007-08-23, 09:54 AM
This will get us started. Expect refinements-- like labeling the grid. The origin is (0,0).

That's Althan up north. Most of you are sitting; it's a move action to stand.

Drow Init: [roll0]

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/Maurkov/Wellandgrid3.jpg

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-08-23, 09:54 AM
Jardin

Initiative at the Well (1d20=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1221276)
Please can Jardin be placed originally 3rd table in on the right from the exit - if this precludes him from casting at into the rucus then I will change his action also depending on the initiative of the drow because if they go before him he will instead cast at the newcomers that look like they are headed through the door.

A previously unnoticed Gnome with a scoll case at each hip steps forward to block any escape from the area I am sure the authorities will appreciate keeping death to a minimum, keeping clear of the grease that has suddenly appeared and anyone obviously involved in any sort of melee. Nice! Crowd control he thinks to himself.

In old elvish and quickly repeated in common he calls at the top of his voice: [b]"Everybody stop where you are!"

Maurkov
2007-08-23, 11:47 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/Maurkov/Wellandgrid5.jpg

<text to follow.>

Maurkov
2007-08-24, 11:56 AM
Dugby begins casting.

The bard draws a rapier, and he and Yergal both move forward to intercept the drow. The drow's still seated companion utters a spell and the front of the stage is slicked with oil. The bard slips. Lahara doesn't.

((Yergal, Ref DC 14 to remain standing, then a balance check to act; you have 10' of movement left (entering a greased square costs double) and a standard action remaining.

Those who are delaying need to let me know when they stop.))

((Retcon. Yergal gets his action point back.))

Cogito
2007-08-24, 06:16 PM
Wroen

Seeing the mage casting a spell, Wroen aims quickly and shoots the readied arrow before drawing another one from the small quiver at his belt.

Attack (1d20+6=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1223802)
Confirm Critical (1d20+6=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1223806)
Damage (3d8=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1223809)

Maurkov
2007-08-25, 12:31 AM
It's becoming chaotic. Lots of people are shouting and starting to get up from tables.

Wroen sees the wizard begin to cast and shoots him through the head, pinning him to the wall. Yergal intercepts the moving drow and commands him to go no further.

The moving drow stares at Yergal. [Old Elvish]"Another hero. Pathetic." He draws and attacks in one motion, and seems slightly surprised when his attack goes wide. One of the standing drow gestures, and darkness envelops the party's table. The other shoots at Yergal (missing), discards his crossbow, draws his rapier and advances.

On the top floor, four more drow enter, weapons drawn. One stops in front of Althan and darkens an area nearby. One makes it to the ramp and assess the situation. Two circle towards Jardin.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/Maurkov/Wellandgrid7.jpg

((Next up:
Jardin
Althan
Dugby
Darryn
Wroen
Yergal))

Cogito
2007-08-25, 06:21 AM
Wroen

Wroen searches his way out into the light again (moving left), and then gets into point blank range of the nearest Drow, and aims at him.

Should there still be an action left.
Attack (1d20+7=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1224697)
Damage (1d8+1=7, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1224699)
If not, I'm using this for the next round.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-25, 11:09 AM
Althan turns towards the closest Drow, and lays into him with his Tangat.

The drow close to the entrance, mind. attack roll (1d20+6=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1224939)
damage-add 2 damage if counts as favored enemy (1d8+2=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1224940)

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-08-25, 02:42 PM
Jardin

Seeing the approaching Drow and the very obviously dead Wizard at the table. Jardin realises that his previous words are going unheeded - especially by the new arrivals.

In Drow "You should take a hint from the Dead one and hit the deck!"

With those words Jardin mumbles a short series of words tossing a small amount of dust, the air suddenly explodes with colour which fans out in front of him engulfing both drow approaching him.

Cast color spray (DC18) need to overcome SR? depending on the result Jardin will either move back as far as possible or not. I will adjust this post accordingly or post afterwards.

Noting the result of his spell, Jardin takes a few mental notes on placement of people and things before moving and preparing for his next barrage of magic - determined to make it even more spectacular.

Bigmac
2007-08-26, 03:20 PM
Yergal smiles as the elf draws a weapon and attacks. While Yergal could have killed a man for nothing more than a sideways look on Seren, he learned that such actions were not always acceptable here. Now that the elf had swung, however, Yergal draws his treasured sword from it's sheath. The sword is made of dark steel that seems to have a life of it's own next to the bone white pommel. Grabbing the massive blade in both hands Yergal cries out "Death to the forsaken!" as he swings it at the elf's torso.

Power Attack (-2 / +4) = 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1224863)
Damage = 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1224865)
If this attack drops the elf, Yergal will take a 5ft step into the space he occupied.

Maurkov
2007-08-29, 11:44 PM
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]

fendrin
2007-08-30, 12:22 AM
Darryn

last round's action (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3085919&postcount=43) in the OOC thread

Darryn moves toward the stage and then along it until he emerges from the darkness (at X20Y13, right behind Yergal), drawing his club as he moves.

"Go to, strongman."

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-30, 03:39 PM

The last of the ancient words fall from the druid's lips, and through the grace of his memory alone, he calls forth a creature that scoffs at the darkness that plagues the summoner and some of his comrades.

Somewhere above the melee, an enormous bat forms from thin air, immediately pumping its wings and diving for a bite of drow scalp.

Having released the summoning energies, Dugby immediately attempts to remove himself from the darkness. Despite not knowing where the drow's effect ends, his memory of the familiar place aids his attempt. Finding the nearby railing, he uses it as a guide to move himself to the left, away from the last known location of the dark elves.

OOCSince I don't know quite where this thing will form, it'll just perform its baseline purpose and go after the nearest drow head that makes itself available.

atk + dmg (1d20+7=27, 1d8+7=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1233685)
crit confirm + damage (1d20+7=22, 1d8+7=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1233688)

I've described myself as a rather long-time regular here, and the railing is only 5' or less away, so I think it should be safe to assume I can find the railing (to the north of the table), and follow it west. In this case, since I hunkered down behind my chair earlier, I'd call that equivalent to a crouching position which requires a full move action to stand from. So I'm done, for now.

Maurkov
2007-08-30, 11:58 PM
Jardin unleashes a torrent of scintillating colors, but like water around stones in a river, they curl and bend around the drow, leaving them untouched. Two patrons aren't so lucky, and are sent reeling. Seeing the results, Jardin backs away.

Althan finds himself without his preferred armaments, and puts an unoccupied chair to use. The drow is barely quick enough and evades the blow.

Dugby completes his chant, and the air above the well shimmers. Something hairy, black, and toothy appears, with huge membranous wings. Those not enveloped in darkness gasp in astonishment and horror. With two beats of its massive wings it settles in on a drow and rips him to shreds.

Darryn emerges from the darkness too late to see the act, but the aftermath is grizzly. The drow's headless corpse is held a foot off the ground by the beast.

Wroen emerges from the other side of the darkness and brings his bow up for another shot.

Yergal draws and obliterates the elf before him.

The drow on the balcony swings his chain whip at the bat, entangling a wing. Using all is weight and strength he tries to pull the monster out of the air, but fails. On the next upbeat, the drow is pulled from the ground and thrown down again. As he stands, the bat snaps at him, but comes away with only a mouth full of railing. The drow facing Jardin are faster than he is. In the press of the crowd, though, they aren't quite able to surround him. Jardin nimbly dodges the rapier but steps into the axe blow. The last drow on the second level sees Wroen emerge, and shoots a crossbow at him. The bolt is lost into the crowd. The drow steps back into the darkness. Althan's drow lunges with his rapier, piercing the leather seat of the chair Althan wields, and piercing Althan.

The bard climbs to the first level and stabs at the drow axeman, but misses. The dancer is hiding (poorly) behind the table near the stage.

Jardin took a crit for 21. Althan took a 5 point rapier hit. DC12 to spot Lahara. Map tomorrow.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-08-31, 07:13 AM
Jardin
Init:5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1221276)|HP:0/-1|AC:11

Stumbling and bleeding heavily from the enormous gash in his side Jardin barely retains conciousness.

Breathing heavily with bloodied spittle lacing his words Jardin calls out to the Drow in their language "Ha, got me good but never pick a fight when so close to a Fire Mage!" even as he speaks these words he steps back pulling his hand from his belt pouch, with a gesture and a few quiet words Jardin and both Drow burst into flame all three being consumed by the arcane fire.

Jardin succumbs quickly and collapses unconsious to the crackling of the flame against him and of the effect on his attackers.

Jardin takes 5'step and casts Minor Image {No SR and DC 19}(duration Concentration+2 rounds = 2 rounds) Jardin is now at dying though at -1hp End of First round dying (1d100=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1235082) (01-10=stabilised)

Maurkov
2007-08-31, 09:47 AM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/Maurkov/Wellandgrid8.jpg

I lied about the labels (time constraints). Is anyone unsure of who is where?

fendrin
2007-08-31, 12:18 PM
((this round's action will come later, after I've ssen what some other people earlier in the init count do. Also the following rolls will make a bit of a difference))
to spot the dancer [roll0] DC 12
to disbelieve the fire [roll1] DC 19
nevermind, just re-read the section on figments. we believe it until we interact with it.

Cogito
2007-08-31, 03:23 PM
Wroen

Noticing that the Drow shot at him, Wroen aims the next arrow at him before searching cover under the nearby table.

Taking the rolls from last round for this. Tell me if I need to make a check to get under cover.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-08-31, 08:23 PM
Althan

Finding himself under duress, with naught but a quickly appropriated chair, Althan thinks fast, and suddenly grins. Yelling out as loudly as he can towards the entrance, he shouts three quick bits of Halfling.

I'm assuming this is pretty much the end of my turn with what I'm doing.
Anyone who can understand halfling, read this. Althan shouts out "Gix! Come here, attack!" If a handle animal check is needed, well I think I'll pass it. handle animal (1d20+8=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236064) Also, if needed, initiative for Gix (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236066). I think that's probably the last bit of 20's/near 20's ill get for a while, if things act like normal for me. Methinks he'll be attacking as soon as he comes in, so that would prolly be something like...this. Attack + damage rolls for Gix (1d20+4=18, 1d8+3=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236078)

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-01, 09:09 AM

Almost in tandem with Althan, Dugby yells out, "Korn! Bizkit! Come to daddy!"

Then he ducks behind a chair. Again. :-)

OOCGonna assume that if they show at all, it'll take at least one round. If an HA check is needed: (1d20+8=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236656). Korn's Listen: (1d20+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236657). Bizkit's Listen: (1d20+10=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236658). Korn's speed is 40' / 160' at a run. Bizkit's speed: 40' / 200' at a Run (feat). Korn's init: (1d20+3=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236668). Bizkit's init: (1d20+3=10). (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236667) Wow, got one roll above average. And there was much rejoicing!

Maurkov, you can roll the atk/dmg for the bat, since you'll be aiming it (1d20+7 atk, 1d8+7 dmg)

Bigmac
2007-09-01, 09:53 AM
Yergal

Yergal keeps turning with the momentium of his swing and starts to move again. He rushes off towards the darkness where he is pretty sure there is a drow. The lust of battle is getting to him, but instead of causing a rage it is more like joy as he gets to slaughter the haughty elfs who so often moked him and spoke softly behind his back. Now he will show them the power of the dragon isles.

Yergal charges (if the bat is in the air) the drow in (11,15). Attack = 9, damage = 19, miss chance (above 50) = 13. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1236767)

fendrin
2007-09-01, 03:04 PM
Darryn

Darryn runs to the edge of the darkness and attempts to strike the drow there.

move to (10,16)
attack against drow at (11,15)
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Maurkov
2007-09-02, 01:31 PM
The gnome (Jardin) self immolates and takes everything within 10' down with him. The drow near him leap back, but the fire finds and envelops them. [Old Elvish]"The flames!" shouts the axeman in alarm, then puzzled, [Old Elvish]"they don't burn." He gazes at the flames licking at his hand. The other grins wickedly. [Old Elvish]"Foolish gnome; consumed by his own magic*. We have resisted." Both turn to face the bard.

Althan calls for help, and before the drow can extract his rapier from Althan's chair, he is pounced and eviscerated. Gix, Althan's clawfoot, bobs his head and leans forward to be petted.

The bat bites the chain wielding drow, who howls in pain but twists away before the bat can carry him off. Dugby calls for his animals, but they are too far away to hear him over the noise.

Darryn follows to where the drow disappeared into the darkness. Spotting his dim outline, Darryn swings, connects, and fractures the elf's skull.

Seeing that that elf is out of the action, Wroen and Yergal both aim for the chain wielder, but Wroen's arrow goes wide, and drow parries Yergal's upward sword thrust.

The axeman (axe-elf?), still wreathed in flames, hacks into the bard. His accomplice misses. The chain wielder steps away from the bat. He lashes at Althan, entangles a leg, and pulls him off his feet. His followup is too quick to dodge, and draws more blood from the halfling.

The bard doubles over, protecting his wounded arm, but when the axe wielder steps in to finish him, the bard stops faking and stabs him in the chest. The rapier is deflected by armor, though, and the bard steps back, cursing.

*"consumed by his own magic" is a single word in Old Elvish, which tells you something about their culture.

Althan takes 4 and is prone.

Maurkov
2007-09-02, 08:05 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/Maurkov/Wellandgrid9.jpg

Cogito
2007-09-02, 09:07 PM
Wroen

Wroen curses silently, before shooting another arrow at the same Drow.

Attack (+1 if Point Blank) (1d20+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1238805)
Damage (+1 if Point-Blank) (1d8=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1238811)

fendrin
2007-09-02, 09:38 PM
Darryn

With a curse mumbled under his breath, Darryn plunges headfirst into the darkness, headed to the top level. (not quite sure how far he can make it)

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-02, 11:34 PM
Althan

When his assailant falls from the clawfoots attack, Althan praises his companion, and silently sends up thanks that he managed to at least be close to the entrance. Momentarily distracted by this feat, he finds himself under attack by another drow, and is tripped by his chain weapon. Lying on the floor and injured, Althan points out to the offending drow and instructs Gix to attack.

handle animal (1d20+8=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1238925)
attack and damage rolls (1d20+4=22, 1d8+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1238933)

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-03, 07:26 AM

Continuing to follow the railing to the left, Dugby finally shucks the darkness to find Wroen standing there, bow raised. The druid moves through just behind him, drawing his sling as he goes. Seeing no drow from that position, he continues to swing around with the curve of the railing to eventually catch sight of a pair of them well off to the side.

OOCDouble move, Path: 16,18->15,18(5'x2)->14,18(5')->13,17(5')->13,13(15')->14,13(5') = 40'

Bigmac
2007-09-04, 08:44 AM
Yergal

Frustrated that the drow was able to parry his attack, Yergal gives a loud yell before thrusting with this sword again, this time aiming more carefully.

[roll0] (powerattack -1 / +2)
[roll1]

Maurkov
2007-09-04, 11:48 PM
Jardin bleeds.

Althan calls Gix to attack the chain wielding drow, but the drow strikes first in a manuver much like the one that knocked down Althan. Same thing happens, but before he can strike the creature again, he is distracted by Yergal's attepts to skewer him from below, the bat's attempts to tear off his head from above, and Wroen's deadly arrow from the other side of the room. None connect, but they probably saved Gix from being cut. By the time the drow turns back, Gix is on his feet.

Dugby and Darryn move. The bat vanishes back to Lamannia.

The chain wielder calls out, [Old Elvish] "We've lost. Lets go." Looking between the prone Althan and the furious clawfoot, he says, [Common] "Call off your animal or we will kill it. We are leaving. Now."

The other two, still wreathed in fire, begin working their way back. The axeman charges over the bard. The bard dodges aside but comes up in time to stab the other fleeing drow, running him through.

The axeman soon arrives beside his compainion, his bloody axe held ready.

The bard then moves over to Jardin. Speaking a heavily rhymed and metered chant, he reaches through the flames and touches the gnome. "Nice trick," he says, as the gnome regains consciousness.

Althan only needs a move action to command Gix and it's obvious the chain wielder is overcommitted. Does he want to stand up? Crawl away?

Jardin -1 HP then +9 HP

Map tomorrow, but the folks who moved are
Gix (17,6)
Axeman (18,7)
Yergal (18,9)
Darryn (14,10)
Dugby (14,13)
Bard (23,14)

Both the chain weilder and the axeman are readied. Does Althan call off Gix?

Bigmac
2007-09-05, 12:06 AM
Yergal

Hearing the elf say that he is leaving, Yergal exclaims, "The hell you are! Face your death with honor!"

Yergal will attack the drow above him. Attack = 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1242548) Damage = 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1242550) If he tires to leave Yergal will make an AoO. Attack = 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1242553), Damage = 20. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1242556)

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-05, 01:04 AM
Althan

Damn them. These drow are worse than the Valenar.

Looking warily at the chain-wielder, Althan calls out to Gix, once again in the halfing tongue.

For those who understand, he calls out "calm down"
handle animal (1d20+8=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1242684)

Gix obeys him and steps back to Althan, though a low growl mutters from his closed mouth.

Althan gets up slowly, and dusts himself off, the wary look still full on his face.

Attack of Opportunity against drow leaving, using chair. (1d20+1=7)...and a miss, methink. Not sure what damage die to use for it, would have prolly done same as a club? (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1244986)

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-05, 02:33 AM
Jardin

Looking up at the Bard and then at the flaming drow. "Would have been nicer if it had worked!"

Taking the proffered hand Jardin stands with a wince. "My thanks for your timely intervention."

Looking to both the Dancer and the Bard. (In Drow) "What was that all about? Are you a runaway?"

Looking at the escaping Drow and the dead Jardin cannot help but think how different things are in Stormreach to Sharn and other cities in Khorvaire.

"Who were your other rescuers my Bardic friend?

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-05, 06:10 AM

Dugby mutters, "Imperious bastards. I don't think so...."

Not exactly the most effective physical combatant, Dugby drops a bullet into his sling and does his level best, letting it fly at the presumptuous drow.

"You don't leave without permission, and permission is not granted!" yells Dugby.

He then hunkers down just a bit, enough to gain some cover from the railing.

OOCGiven my position, and that the darkness might be blocking line of sight to the Drow speaker, I will take a 5' step to 14,14, and provide some slapstick amusement by trying to hit him with a sling bullet. To whit:

Atk [roll0] for Dmg [roll1] (optimistic, aren't I?)

fendrin
2007-09-05, 06:25 AM
Darryn

Moves up behind the chain wielder (16,9) and wordlessly whacks at him with his club.
At least I can try to keep him distracted from Althan

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cogito
2007-09-05, 02:43 PM
Wroen

At the Drow's words Wroen lowers his weapon, but keeps an eye on the two Dark Elves.

When the others continue their assault, he straps the bow to his back and makes his way over to some secure spot.

Maurkov
2007-09-05, 11:28 PM
"Would have been nicer if it had worked!" says Jardin, taking the proffered hand and standing with a wince. "My thanks for your timely intervention."

"And mine for yours. Abide while we see what happens," says the bard.

At Althan's command, Gix moves aside while Althan slowly stands. Just then, Dugby's missile hits the drow in the side of his face, erasing his smirk. The drow spits blood and teeth. He scans the room until he spots Dugby, and he glares dark hatred. Darryn emerges from the darkness and swings, but the drow evades. Yergal's strike also comes up short.

As the pair slide past Althan and his dinosaur, Althan takes one more swing with his improvised weapon, but misses. The drow retreat beyond the curtain.

The chain wielder withdraws so as to not provoke AoOs from Yergal and Darryn.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-06, 05:12 AM
Dugby

The drow's glare is returned equally.

When they leave, he says defiantly, "Unfortunately, I'm sure that brand of drow are too stubborn to learn, and will undoubtedly be back for more, eventually."

Avoiding the darkness, Dugby maneuvers over railings to join Yergal and the others on that side of the room, where he catches sight of the drow dancer.

Looking into her anxious eyes, he asks evenly, "You wouldn't happen to be interested in tossing us some information on those men, would you? Might help us both in the future."

OOCSince it wasn't mentioned, I'm gonna assume she's still looking fearful or something close, but not still hiding behind the table.

Bigmac
2007-09-06, 04:32 PM
Yergals yells <Argonessen>"Ith Dalug gromor chu' Relgo!" (A profane curse of dragons) at the fleeing drow. He then walks over to the drow that he killed and spits on him as he says, "Cowards." Yergal then bends down and begins searching the corpse for money and weapons that he can take from his fallen foe.

fendrin
2007-09-06, 08:05 PM
Darryn

"Well, that was... interesting."
Darryn says as he makes his way back down to the drow he felled.
"Someone should check to see if any of these fellows are alive."
Meanwhile, he searches the drow.
"Let's see what we can find out."
In Old Elvish he adds "While I'm normally all for saving damsels in distress on principle, my companion is right that it will probably hep us all if you can tell us what this was about."

Cogito
2007-09-06, 08:11 PM
Wroen

Wroen begins to salvage the arrows he shot as soon as the finally Drow flee while listening to the dancer's explanation.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-06, 09:02 PM
Althan

Althan lets go of the barstool, appreciatively pets the top of Gix's head, and picks up the previously forgotten plate of food. Looking it over quickly to make sure it was still fine, he puts it within easy reach of the clawfoot, and begins searching the drow that he felled. Calling out loudly as he does so, Althan says

"If we need to, I don't think there will be much problems with tracking the survivors. I don't know 'bout any of you, but I could use a bit of healing before we try any of that. I'm not dead yet, I might go for a walk or something...but I'd rather not chase after our dark friends there beforehand."

Switching to a grumbling tone which begins to diminish slightly, he can be heard to say
"that's the last time I walk in anywhere without at least my tangat, and courtesy be damned. It's bad enough I have to leave Gix outside, but whenever you see a halfling with a weapon as big as he is, you damned humans start to get nervous for no good reason.

Looking over the bit of teeth and blood spat out from the bullet-wound, he thinks to himself Certainly left enough of themselves to get a good scent, thats for sure

Maurkov
2007-09-07, 12:31 AM
The bard climbs back down to the stage, offering Jardin a hand if he wishes to descend that way as well. Lahara comes out of hiding, but she's pretty spooked. She's jumping at shadows and maintaining a good five feet of personal space. The bard tries to calm her and she punches him in the shoulder, [Old Elvish] "You said they wouldn't come this far!" She hit a little close to his axe wound and he gasps. Seeing real pain she bites her fist, instantly contrite.

[Old Elvish] "It surprised me too, baby."

Soph arrives at the second level with a small wheeled platform-- a dolly. "We use this for moving kegs, mostly," she says to Yergal with a slightly histerical giggle. "Will you help me clean up?" She leans up and whispers, "Looting is unseemly... but there'll be plenty of time for it once they're in the storeroom." She seems to take most of the carnage in stride, but she turns away from the stuck wizard.

The bard addresses the assembling adventurers, [Common]"Thank you. Thank you all. I owe you a debt. My name is Alkmaion. I'll tell you all I know but drinks first. Oh Khyber." He's looking across to the bar where Emile stands frozen and ashen faced.

Alkmaion rushes over. Lahara follows in his wake. The barkeep is catatonic, still clutching the carving knife. His knuckles are white. The tip of the knife doesn't shake. It vibrates. Alkmaion approaches slowly, as if afraid something might explode. "Old friend...," he says.

Before Soph arrives to remove the bodies, Darryn finds 5 platinum pieces tied on a string and some nasty fetish or something made of black feathers, a lizard skin pouch, and the skull of a monkey. Yergal finds... well, he finds the drow's rapier.

Edit: No survivors.

fendrin
2007-09-07, 06:49 AM
Darryn

When Soph arrives with the cart, Darryn helps (well, not much, but he tries) hoist the body onto it. "Grisly work, this, but necessary when folks refuse to be... civil."
An observer will note that although he was searching the body, Darryn did not remove anything.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-07, 10:23 AM
Jardin

Shuddering at the gristly scene Jardin limps (even though he was not struck in the leg.) to a table to clear up some spilled liquid.

"What is going on here? Why were you attacked Alkmaion? What are you and Lahara running from? While I appreciate your skill in saving my life, I am all to conscious that the only reason I ended up the way I did is because of your presence.

Bigmac
2007-09-07, 10:37 AM
Yergal smiles at Soph's comment about looting. He motions with his hands as he explians, "Not looting. I'm taking the coward's weapons. He must make a way across death's land without them now. Pheh, he won't make it far." After his explaination, Yergal takes a moment to wipe his blade before returning it to the scabbard on his back. He places the rapier between a belt and his armor and then lifts the corpse onto the dolly with little effort. Seeing the wizard Yergal utters "Nice Shot" quietly to himself. After gathering the bodies he'll accompany Soph to the storeroom to see to them.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-08, 06:12 AM
Dugby

Dugby seems rather irritated at the banter in what he guesses to be the elvish tongue, and reiterates his question, this time to the bard. He also quickly adds a remark to the gnome, "This was not only because of their presence," he nods to the bard and the drow dancer, "but because we don't take it well when people--any people--think to disrupt our ability to relax in this place."

At Yergal's muttered comment, Dugby's face lightens and he chuckles slightly morosely. "Yes, well, I actually hit something too," a booted toe pushes a couple of teeth across the floor, "And my friendly bat didn't do so badly either, you know." He winks away the thought that he might actually be jealous that his own results were not worthy of comment.

As he slips the sling back under and over his belt, he looks back to the bard. "So, would you kindly fill us in while this mess is cleaned up?"

Cogito
2007-09-08, 06:49 AM
I don't want to dampen Dugby's success in hitting somebody, but I think Yergal meant the wizard Wroen shot through the head. Might be wrong, though

Wroen

"I don't want to be rude," Wroen says towards Dugby, "but do we always kill people when they have an argument with somebody although we do not know what's behind it? These two might be criminals, or worse, hunted by one of the more powerful Drow tribes."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-08, 11:10 PM
Dugby

Dugby glares at Wroen, and replies heatedly, "If those drow have an issue with the bard and his woman, they can take care of it outside. If you don't feel that murdering a patron of this place warrants action, then you and I do not see the world in the same way. Furthermore, when they drew arms against the first of us, they drew against all of us. Keep that in mind if you remain interested in being part of this team. If you plan to make spot ethical decisions in the midst of combat that may put one or more of us at a disadvantage, you'd best find other employment. If we can't rely on your aid when expected, you are a liability, and we can't have liabilities out there in the jungles. Liabilities get people very much dead."

He may appear to be expanding the issue out of proportion, but there is a sense of history in his words that seems to support his passion.

OOCYou might be right about Yergal's statement. It was so long ago, I forgot about it. I've edited.

Cogito
2007-09-09, 07:56 AM
Wroen

"I forgot," Wroen calmly retorts, his face losing all expression, "just remember that you do not only put your own life at risk with such actions."

Wroen turns away from Dugby again, gathering the arrows that went stray on the upper level.

fendrin
2007-09-09, 08:48 AM
Darryn

"Althan, Dugby, get everyone calmed down as best you can, then maybe we can find somewhere... private.. to meet with the intended victims? I'm going to go assist in the.. trash disposal."

Darryn follows Soph to the storeroom.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-09, 08:55 AM
Dugby

"Decisions like that need to be made quickly. There's no time for debate when one of our own is facing a hostile blade," Dugby says confidently to Wroen.

He nods to Darryn, then turns to the bard, making a visible effort to decrease his intensity, "Our drinks may take a while under the circumstances, so, if you'd both follow me to an out of the way table...."

Dugby briefly scans the southern end of The Well, and begins negotiating the path around any debris. There were no patrons left near the table he chose; he took the seat nearest the back wall, and waited for the others to approach and arrange themselves.

Maurkov
2007-09-09, 11:44 PM
Lahara looks blankly at those speaking common. Alkmaion isn't ready to answer questions just yet.

Alkmaion's eyes don't leave the barkeep. He leans across the bar and grabs a bottle off the wall. He passes it to those behind and reaches for another. As he hands that one off, the barkeep snaps out of it. He points the knife at the bard.

"Must you take my condition so lightly?"

"Was there a better way to rouse you?" asks the bard, as he pays for what he pilfered. Emile jams the knife into the cutting board and then busies himself with some dishes. Alkmaion turns back to the party. "You'll be wanting that story now."

Soph is greatful for the assistance. The three of you move the bodies quickly, but Soph accidentally brushes against Yergal more than once. Even he notices. You take the bodies to an empty storeroom, left of the kitchens. "I guess we'll leave them here until the Flame can take them tomorrow." She holds out a key. "Lock up behind you?"

fendrin
2007-09-10, 06:52 AM
Darryn

Darryn reaches out and takes the key.

Once Soph leaves, He turns to Yergal.
"Let's get this done with, so we can get on to other tasks. I want to know what we've stuck our collective nose in, and that girl obviously needs some comforting, and has just as obviously chosen you. So, here's how this works. I see what's magical, you shift 'em around until we find it. Then we look for anything else useful on them."
And with his long-winded instructions out of the way, Darryn makes a few odd gestures, then pulls out a scroll and casts the spell off of it.

Infuse Skill Enhancement (UMD) into his pack //+3 to UMD
Scroll of Detect Magic (in case you couldnt guess:smalltongue:)
[roll0] //includes +2 for Artisan Bonus
DC 21

Cogito
2007-09-10, 09:02 AM
Wroen

Having collected and cleaned the arrows, Wroen grabs a chair near the others and sits down, gazing at the bard in silence.

Bigmac
2007-09-10, 10:56 AM
Yergal gives Sophs a nad and slight grin as she leaves. As he moves the bodies of the fallen around for Darryn he begins to ask a few questions. "So, you know the others from before? Will they hunt the drow down? How does your group normally work? I didn't get a chance to read the charter, so I'm in the dark here."

Maurkov
2007-09-10, 04:30 PM
Since the excitement, about half the crowd has left. It seems it idea of rubbing elbows with rough adventuring types is more attractive than the reality. Those that stay are much quieter on average than the previous patrons. Soph returns without Darryn and Yergal. She carries a pail from which she scatters sawdust over the spilt blood. Emile has composed himself and heads over to fire the bouncer.

Milking his audience, Alkmaion studies the labels on the two bottles. He puts one on the table and the other on the floor, next to his chair. "I was Out There, South of the plateau, maybe a hundred miles from here. I had a few friends with me. I try to tread lightly, but the locals were stirred to a high dander, and we tangled with a few of them. She was their captive.

"It seems the chieftain of her tribe imposed new religion-- new or very old depending on your perspective. Tradition is strong in her, and Lahara still honors the scorpion god. She was convicted of blasphemy, and her punishment was to be indentured to the high priest. She ran away, was captured, and then rescued.

"My friends and I had a falling out over what should be done. I brought her back. They continued on."

"We were performing tonight to secure a little spending money before we head to Sharn. It seems I underestimated how badly they wanted her. The last few years have been hard for her. She needs time to heal."

He looks at her thoughtfully.

[Old Elvish]"Did you want to say anything to our new friends?"

[Old Elvish]"Tell them thank you. Tell them they have saved not only my freedom, but my life. Tell them that while I have no gifts to give them, that I will beseech Vulkoor for a boon, for they have aided me, his faithful."

The bard looks a little uncomfortable. "She says thank you."

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-10, 06:20 PM
Althan

Having sent his clawfoot outside to finish his meal, and at least tried to calm down some of the patrons, Althan walks over to the gathering, and somehow manages to plop down on one of the chairs, despite the actual seat being more-or-less eye level to him. Hearing at least part of their story on the way over, he asks when the bard finishes talking

"Are those two likely to come back and finish the deed, or with friends of theirs? I have to ask, because if they are, the longer we wait, the further away they can get, and they'll probably hold a grudge against us for helping you."

Maurkov
2007-09-10, 06:32 PM
Loot list (items found by Darryn & Yergal)
35 platinum pieces. The coins have off-center holes and are strung on cords. If they ever bore writing, it has long since warn off
5 rapiers
6 daggers
6 hand crossbows
51 bolts
3 envenomed bolts
3 flasks (small stoppered but unsealed glass jars; 5 doses of venom)
2 flasks (small sealed clay pots that slosh. There is an X scribed deeply on each of the four sides)
1 flask (small sealed smoked-glass jar that sloshes)
5 gold plated spheres, each the size of a large marble, individually wrapped in cloth, inside a pouch.
Some food-- berries, dried meat, bread (very hard and dense), some herbs
Various personal items:
Some shards of bone tied together
an irridescent blue butterfly dried and pressed between pieces of wood
several flints
about twenty small seashells

fendrin
2007-09-10, 09:21 PM
Darryn

"Well," he says, talking to Yergal while sorting through the stuff, "the charter isn't specific as to whether or not we go after those two drow. We intentionally didn't put anything like that into it, so we could make decisions based on the specifics of each situation."
Darryn splits the findings into three piles. (see below)
"It is a lot clearer on the distribution of the stuff we find. In fact, it would probably be best for you to put the rapier you took with the other rapiers. If you want, you can mark it for your own use, but for now it should be in that pile."

((note the contents of these may change based on player actions))
Pile 1

a ring
two (identical) potions
a small bundle of black feathers

Pile 2

34 platinum pieces //removed the one Yergal took
5 gold plated spheres, each the size of a large marble

Pile 3

5 suits of chiton armor
6 rapiers //added the one Yergal had taken
6 daggers
6 hand crossbows
51 bolts
3 envenomed bolts
3 flasks (small stoppered but unsealed glass jars)
2 flasks (small sealed clay pots)
1 flask (small sealed smoked-glass jar that sloshes)

Bigmac
2007-09-10, 09:35 PM
Yergal pulls the rapier from the belt and places it in the pile. He stares intently at Darryn and asks, "So, exactly what DOES it say about the distribution of wealth?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-11, 06:09 AM
Dugby

Dugby takes the bottle in hand while the bard speaks, glancing at the label. He makes a face indicating he thinks it's good, but not the best, then opens it, despite only having an inferential invitation to do so. He figured his team earned at least that much.

Pouring himself a glass and depositing the bottle in the center of the table, he glances up at the pair as they exchange words. When the bard translates the woman's lengthy comment into two words, Dugby stifles a chuckle, and says, "That's unfortunate. Well, here's to your scaring up enough for passage to the great city of Sharn."

Dugby raises his glass and takes a large sip.

"Oh, and Althan asked the question that pertains most directly to us: what odds are there that those remaining two will return? I can already guess they won't be alone if they do," he asks, one eyebrow raised, and another sip in the works.

fendrin
2007-09-11, 07:56 AM
Darryn

"Well, to summarize and over-simplify, when we are out in the field, we spilt stuff up as best meets the needs of the moment. However, all loot is party property until we return to civilization and have the chance to properly divvy it up. That means that I might use an item out in the field, then have to return it to the party for fair distribution when we come back to the city.

Fair distribution involves a fifth of the loot be kept in party holdings, typically in the form of cash. The rest of the stuff we divvy up amongst the group, using appraised value for items and such."

He sighs.

"And believe me, that is the summarized and over-simplified version. We're done here for now, lets go see what the story is."

He heads out the storeroom door, waits fro Yergal to exit, then closes and locks the door. He pockets the key and joins the others.

Bigmac
2007-09-11, 08:34 AM
"Guess this is an advance then." Yergal says as he grabs one of the platnium pieces on his way out. Better a coin in your pocket now then later. When he gets back to the main room, Yergal will see if he can spot Soph. If he does, he asks her for some more food, if not he'll ask Emile. The fight had awakened his hunger, and now he had some coin to buy a real meal.

Yergal walks up to the table and grabs the bottle from the center. He takes a large gulp of the drink before looking to pass the bottle on to someone else. If there are no takers, he sets the bottle back on the table with a soft thud. He gives the girl a lusty gaze, but speaks with compassion in his voice. "You O.K.?" Instead of sitting down at the table with the rest, Yergal leans up against the back wall near the table.

Maurkov
2007-09-11, 09:48 AM
"I have already proven to be a poor predictor of the dark elves' ways," he says, but doesn't let that stop him. "I don't think they'll be trying anything more again tonight. The one that hit me didn't look like he could lace his boots without direction, and the other one is going to need a week to recover. He sure looked mad, though. Whoever hit him with the bullet had best watch out. He'll plague your childrens' children."

The barkeep wanders over, glances at the bottle on the table and replaces it with another. "Mind if I sit in?"

spot 12 to notice:
He lifted the bottle Alkmaion had set aside.

Yergal catches Soph as he's leaving the storeroom, and she eagerly heads back to make him a plate.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-11, 10:03 AM
Jardin

((OOC: Text removed till later as per Maurkov's suggestion))

Jardin has come to Xendrik to try and learn more about the Drow and the magics that they employ. He is trying to make a name for himself by coming across a great discovery much like the discovery of how to create Warforged or the binding of elementals. He is otherwise not materially minded.

Maurkov
2007-09-11, 10:46 AM
((That's probably an incorrect assumption. It seems unlikely that you'd be back there with Yergal and Darryn. But feel free to save that block of text for later.))

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-12, 02:02 AM
Dugby

The druid's eyes cloud slightly at the bard's sidelong warning.

"Well, I've run into their type a few times before, though for other reasons; monetary, primarily. I'm not going to lose any sleep over them. However, the next time I see them, I won't be pulling any punches. And if I'm not alone, I expect neither will the rest of us." He gulps down the rest of his drink, leaving his inference undirected.

As he sets the glass upon the table, he notices Emile drifting closer, and then his subtlety with the bottle. The slightest chortle escapes his lips, followed by a mild shaking of his head.

He looks up again to the bard and his...mistress...he supposed. "So, how soon will you two be leaving, then? I expect sooner, now, rather than later, eh?" Dugby made an effort at small talk ostensibly to see if the bard had any other items on his agenda. At the moment, he had no inclination toward delaying his plans for the expedition.

fendrin
2007-09-12, 06:42 AM
Darryn

Darryn pulls up a chair.
"So, what's the story? Will we have a bloodthirsty pack of savages hounding us for the rest of our days?"
He immediately adds in Ancient Elvish, directly to the dancer:
"Are you ok?"

Maurkov
2007-09-13, 09:55 AM
"Our ship is due tonight, and we'll leave as soon as they've taken on new cargo. Before nightfall, I hope."

"Yes, about that... I heard they ran into some trouble."

"..."

"I had a shipment due. I was keeping an eye out for it. Pirates."

Alkmaion makes a face. "This day just gets better and better!" He thinks. "Sir gnome, in case they're watching the place, any chance you could arrange a little something to cover our exit?"

Lahara looks at Darryn with pale blue eyes. [Old Elvish] "You speak the tongue. I'm angry. And scared. So much is different here" She glances at and looks away from Yergal's ogling. [Old Elvish]"and some is too much the same."

Cogito
2007-09-13, 11:26 AM
Wroen

Wroen's attention is obviously peaked when the bard begins to talk about a possible employment. He remains silent though and waits for the other's reaction, only grinning for a second when he hears Lahara's answer.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-14, 12:26 AM
Jardin

Startled at the fact that he is being addressed so directly, Jardin looks thoughtful for a moment before replying. "Why, yes I do believe that I can arrange a suitable covering for your exit. What did you have in mind? I will do my best to incorporate your idea's in the effect if I can. I will just need a moment to work out all the nuances to ensure that any watchers believe it to be real and that you and Lahara can work within it."

With those words a pleased smile comes over Jardin's face as he begins thinking about what will be needed.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-14, 07:27 AM
Dugby

"Ahh, pirates. Yes. They get thanks for carving out this place, but spit for being such a nuisance. It's why I always fly the sea whenever I can."

He reclaims his empty glass, spinning it idly on the table's surface.

"So, what was it this time? Sahuagin raiders? Smugglers? Darguun slavers? Or, perhaps it was something new the merchants will pay handsomely to guard against?"

Maurkov
2007-09-15, 04:28 PM
The bard says, "I can disguise my own features but not hers. Drow have superior darkvision, so sneaking unlikely to work. I was going to wait for the dead to be removed and leave with them, but I don't want to put her through that if I can help it. What spell do you have prepared?"

"I'm not sure what happened, but I know where. Actually... It's going to take Lyrandar days to salvage from the wreck. I'd rather not have a bunch of strangers pick through, then sell me my stuff. I feel like I owe you something for dealing with the drow with minimal disruption and no structural damage. Can I grossly overpay you guys to head out there and retrieve something for me?"

fendrin
2007-09-15, 05:50 PM
Darryn

"Emile! you of all people must know that we already charge a ridiculous fee. grossly overpaying us would be highway robbery on our part. We, or at least I, won't... can't do that to a friend."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-16, 04:10 AM
Dugby

Dugby laughs, and nods, saying, "As much as it pains me to turn down gross overpayment, I have to agree with Darryn. You're one of the very few we wouldn't squeeze so hard. But then you know that, eh?" A narrowed, knowing eye and half-grin flash toward Emile.

Leaning forward, he asks, "Alright, what exactly are you after?"

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-16, 04:20 AM
Jardin

[Old Elvish] (To include Lahara in the conversation)"I have a few spells that will create illusory images with some sound included if necessary. Static images would be easier but I don't think that will work. The detail required for hiding Lahara's features are beyond the spells I have available. I think we should go bigger and better for this one. Perhaps, I can expand the fire illusion that I created initially but include a lot of smoke to cover your escape. If they believe that the smoke is real they will believe that inhaling it is bad they will steer clear of image that they are chocking. It will also cover your escape."

Maurkov
2007-09-17, 01:00 AM
Emile smiles. "Well, here's what I had in mind: I'll tell you where the ship went ashore. You recover my things, for which I will pay you. Anything else you can carry off is of course yours.

"What I want is in small barrels-- there should be six, sealed and painted green. They probably weigh ten pounds each.

"The site is only a few days from here. What is your usual rate, that I may know if I can afford to be extravagant?"

Soph returns with a lavish plate for Yergal. She takes a moment to size up Lahara while she takes additional orders.

Lahara looks to Alkmaion for explanation of the gnome's words (she missed out on most everything so far). He provides, but she bows out, saying, [Old Elvish]"I have no head for strategy."

Alkmaion says, "If you all speak it, we can switch to Old Elvish. No? Hmm. As to the illusion, if subtlety is impossible, maybe we could try the opposite. How many images of Lahara could you control, streaming out of the Well and departing in every direction?"

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-17, 01:27 AM
Jardin

Continuing in old elvish, "I am able to control any number of images, I am however constrained by the fact that I am unable to control them over too extreme a range, so I can't have them run off in many directions without the ruse being discovered."

Bigmac
2007-09-17, 08:57 AM
Yergal gives Soph a big smile when he sees the plate of food that she brings. He would say something, but he already has a mouthful of food before he sets the plate down. He does nod and give a delightful grunt though. As he Emile finishes his tale of the ship, Yergal asks, "What makes you think the barrels are still there? Any pirate off his mother's teat would have fully pillaged the ship by now."

Cogito
2007-09-17, 09:20 AM
Wroen

Wroen seems to have tuned out somewhere during the gnome's little explanation, and is now staring into empty space, looking, from time to time, at Lahara.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-18, 12:40 AM
Dugby

Nodding in agreement, Dugby adds, "He has a good point, Emile. Then there's the scavengers that scour the shorelines for just such uncontested bounty. Any special reason your items would sidestep the usual fate? Did the ship wreck on dangerous shores, or something? If not, I'd expect just about everything that survived to be on the market somewhere in Stormreach by the time we catch first site of the flotsam."

Maurkov
2007-09-18, 01:45 AM
Alkmaion drums his fingers, trying to come up with a fool proof escape plan.

Emile says, "There are no guarantees, but I suspect you overestimate how crowded are the seas. Yes, somebody will find and loot it eventually. It could be you. The way I figure, you could be there by dawn if you really pushed. Even if it has been looted, the casks are supposed to be hidden, and if they were found, they're not of obvious value. Will you go have a look? And if you will, what's your price?"

Cogito
2007-09-18, 08:01 AM
Wroen

Suddenly, Wroen tips Darryn on the shoulder. "You don't have a few potions of Disguise with you, do you?" Then he gets beack to staring and thinking.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-19, 12:28 AM
Dugby

Not answering for a few moments, Dugby considers the task and what might be a fair price for his friend. "Tell ya what, Emile. Because we've known one another for a while now, and this doesn't look to be too difficult an undertaking but one with potential sticky issues, we'll do this for you on a contingency basis. When we return, we can hash out any discrepancies. No guarantee we'll be able to recover all six barrels, though. Some may have washed out, and I have no intentions of shipping off to search for them. You already know how I feel about the sea and boats. We'll get whatever's left at the site, though."

He sucks a tooth and narrows an eye toward Emile, "Am I likely to get a straight answer if I ask what's in the barrels?"

Initially, the dual conversations were becoming an annoyance, but once he began a full exchange with Emile, Dugby was able to tune out the Old Elven gibberish.

fendrin
2007-09-19, 07:05 AM
Darryn

Darryn turns to Wroen.
"No, I don't have anything useful for disguise."
He shrugs then adds in old elvish to the rest of the group (or at least those participating in this conversation)
"Do you really need disguises? I think a simple escort would do. against two Drow, one already wounded, I think that should be good enough. What are the chances they would sail across the thunder sea to get to you? If they are that determined, don't stop at Sharn. I doubt they will be able to find you once you start moving around the mainland."

Cogito
2007-09-19, 07:53 AM
If I remember correctly, Wroen has 4 ranks in Knowledge(local) (max ranks for his rogue level) and an int modifier of +3 (Edit: int bonus is only +2, so reduce final result by one). Need to know wether I can get / buy a few potions of Disguise Self in Stormreach within the next hour or two. Check: Knowledge (local) (1d20+7=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1274427), adding an Action Point for security: Action Point for Knowledge check (1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1274433) for a total of 25 (edit: 24).

"I for myself avoid fights if possible, and I think I can get some helpful potions, if I have enough money, that is. If we pair up in groups apparently consisting of you two and move together, we can split up into several versions of you. That should be enough to ensure some safety. You shouldn't be in the same group, of course, and I suggest disguising Lahara as someone of us, possibly someone who seemed to be not much of a danger in the last fight," Wroen says to the two Drow in old Elvish, waiting expectantly for an answer.

fendrin
2007-09-19, 09:12 PM
Darryn

(old elven) "Oh, I wasn't suggesting we would fight. I was more thinking that they just ran from us, so they aren't likely to attack a few hours later unless they happen to have reinforcements in the immediate vicinity, which I doubt."

He pauses for a moment, his eyes getting a distant look for a moment, then he snaps back to normal.

(still old elven) "If we do go with the disguise option, we will need scrolls. You won't find what you're looking for in potion form. Between the three of us" he indicates the bard, the illusionist, and himself "I'm sure we would have no difficulty using the scrolls."

Bigmac
2007-09-19, 10:36 PM
Yergal inturrupts Dugby before Emile can answer. He stares at him and says bluntly, "Hold on. Friends or no, you better know where the ship crashed before you say how much trouble it will be. We may need stuff before we go, and I wanna know if he's paying."

Maurkov
2007-09-19, 10:53 PM
"Am I likely to get a straight answer if I ask what's in the barrels?"(beat) "No.

"I'm not comfortable with negotiating a price after the service is rendered. If you don't like the sound of this bargain, say so. I'll take the information I have to Lyrander, and I'll find another way to thank you for what you've done this evening." He pours more wine to soften his words.

Alkmaion says, "I'm not worried about being attacked tonight. I'm worried about being followed. With my ship out of commission, it's going to take days to arrange transport. Drow are thick with wizards. All it would take is some familiar to keep tabs on us until they can mobilize a new strike force. I know Disguise Self, so I can come and go at will." He snaps his fingers. "Reduce Person. Can we manage one of those? I could pack her out in my backpack while my Disguise can conceal that I'm even wearing one."

Just to clarify: Alkmaion is half Valinar elf, not drow. All speech not marked [Old Elvish] has been in Common.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-20, 02:50 AM
Dugby

Dugby smirks, but wasn't surprised. Occasionally, an employer will fall for the post-facto price negotiation ploy, which routinely nets far more than might otherwise be the case. When you can dangle the prize before them, they become much more pliable than otherwise.

"Looks like we won't have to worry about it, Yergal," he glances at the barbarian, then back to Emile. The proprietor's response told him what he needed to know. "400gp per barrel returned intact. Intact referring only to the condition of the barrel, not the contents, beyond obvious breakage or breaches. And as Yergal mentioned, any necessary special equipment is expected to be provided by you, up front, with non-expendable gear returned. Good?"

He continued to ignore the second conversation; or, at least, appeared to.

Cogito
2007-09-20, 08:11 AM
Wroen

"I'm pretty sure I came across such a potion, but nevermind, it doesn't seem to be the right thing for the occasion, anyways. Just say what you want, give me the money, and I'm off to get it."

Maurkov
2007-09-21, 01:24 AM
"I agree to your price, though I'm disappointed it's so close to as generous as I am prepared to be. As for additional equipment, what is needed? The ship is beached. There is a road that should take you three quarters of the way. A bit of cross country, and you're there."

He moves the winebottle and rubs at the varnished tabletop to see if the map beneath is clear enough for his purpose.

Alkmaion nods at Wroen's suggestion but lapses back into thought (instead of coughing up money).

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-21, 08:51 AM
Dugby

Chuckling, Dugby shrugs mildly. It was business, after all. Friend or not, part of his mandate as leader of this peculiar band was to always look out for their best interests, and coin was always in a person's best interests.

He says, "Done then. Half in advance, or a signed legal contract, depending on how much of a trail you wish to produce. We're flexible. Your choice." He leaves the conditions floating and scans the map upon the table's surface, attempting to get somewhat ahead of Emile's pointing finger, directly to the most likely spot.

Cogito
2007-09-21, 02:12 PM
Wroen

Hearing the word contract, Wroen leaves Alkmaion to his thoughts and turns to where Dugby and Emile are discussing business. "So we got something lucrative to do now?"

Maurkov
2007-09-21, 11:38 PM
"I'm not sure I can get a letter of credit drawn up this time of night. Nor do I know where we could find a notary. I'm not going to swindle you. I've got a reputation to protect."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-22, 06:13 AM
Dugby

"You were hired on for something lucrative, but fortunately, it's something that can sit on the back fire for a while. This is just a side job for a friend, which could be considered lucrative if four-hundred gold in your pocket meets your criteria," he says to Wroen while still looking down at the table's map.

Pulling his hands back and folding them while still leaning forward, Dugby says to Emile in a notably even, matter of fact way, "In that case, we're somewhat back to the original concept. We'll manage the prepartory supplies, if any are needed, but recovery of that cost will be expected as part of full payment as long as we can secure and return at least one of your barrels. We'll pick up whatever we think we need from Greth and retain a receipt. Thus, you'll have personal verification that we didn't overspend at your expense. Let me know if you consider this overstepping."

"And on the topic of reputations--this particular arrangement remains between us. It's not something I want to come back to haunt me. So, are we solid? If so, show me where this wrech is and we'll be on our way."

OOCInserted a little background item here. Greth would be some sort of supplier of gear to expeditionary teams and such, and someone Emile would know as a friend and fellow local proprietor. Thus, we buy stuff from him, and Emile can feel comfortable that the prices weren't inflated (since Greth would have to answer to his bud, Emile, for it). This is entirely flavor, really, but has some low-level, in-game purpose. If you happen to already have someone suited to the role, I'll change the name. Let's assume Greth opens his shop very early to cater to adventurers who want to make use of every daylight hour they can--well before the notaries and bankers get moving.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-22, 11:09 AM
Althan

Never having been entirely comfortable in dealing with subjects he wasn't particularly knowledgeable, Althan listens to the conversation with Emile, having realized that he didn't quite understand the language of the other one. Having both finished his glass and stayed silent for a good amount of time, he finally ask a question.

"So, what exactly is the first job, if I may ask? There really wasn't much in the message you sent.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-23, 01:35 AM
Jardin

Snapping his fingers and smiling wryly at those included in the escape conversation, (Old Elvish)"Sometimes, we forget that the most effective solution is the most simple, I could simply make Lahara invisible. I would need to spend some time studying the spell as I have not got it ready at the moment."

Maurkov
2007-09-23, 11:09 PM
Alkmaion perks up and nods. "Yes. Invisibility would be ideal."

Sense Motive 14:He's very happy with the suggestion. That might be what he was angling at in the first place.

Emile looks tired. "I'm trying to repay the favor, but what I can't do is write you a blank check. I've got maybe 75 gold here in the bar. Will that cover what you need?"

fendrin
2007-09-23, 11:34 PM
Darryn

(old elvish)"Well then, sounds like we have this taken care of, then".

Not even stopping long enough to take a breath, he turns to Emile and says

(common)"In the interests of us getting what we need and you not writing a blank check, why don't we figure out the specifics of what we need, at which point we can draw up an estimate for you? We will need the details of where we are going, and as much information about the ship as possible. Then we can discuss it amongst ourselves, perhaps while we attend to..." he glances at the locked storeroom "other matters."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-24, 12:01 AM
Dugby

Althan asks, "So, what exactly is the first job, if I may ask? There really wasn't much in the message you sent."

Dugby glances toward Althan, catching his eye, but doesn't answer the question. Rather, he continues negotiating with Emile. To that end, he considers Emile's claim of lack of funds, which might soften his stance in some entirely different situation, but if he's willing to drop four-hundred on each barrel, it can be assumed the value of whatever's inside far exceeds that figure.

In Darryn's footsteps, Dugby redirects a bit. "We'll see if we can manage the task without additional equipment. If the ship is beached and not in any special position, we won't need it. Just bear in mind that if that is not the case, we reserve the right to rescind the agreement. I'm doubting that'll be necessary, but it is standard contingency procedure in these sorts of situations."

With that he stands, pushing his seat back against the wall, and takes up the wine bottle for a last drink. Half-full glass in hand, he downs it quickly, and says to his team, "We have an interim job to do. We'll get to the main reason for this reassembly afterward. So, if you," he addresses the bard, the drow and the gnome, "will excuse us, we have things to attend to."

The side conversation has been entirely ignored, thus far.

OOCMaurkov - in post #145, Emile didn't actually show me the spot on the map--it was only suggested. I'm going to assume he followed up and traced out a path to the wreck.

Cogito
2007-09-24, 07:38 AM
Wroen

Wroen had tuned out again when Dugy started to rant on in business-ish, only barely noticing Alkmaion finally responding.

"Hmm... so invisibility it shall be. The longest lasting invisibility spell I've ever seen lasted 5 minutes, so there would be need for a wand or quite a few potions, right?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-24, 09:19 AM
Dugby

Performing an impressive double-double-take between Wroen and the bard, Dugby asks confusedly, "What? We don't need any invisibility. If the wreck hasn't been scoured by now, it's probably far enough off the common routes to be free of vermin. At least any of the types we'd have to worry about."

Cogito
2007-09-24, 01:03 PM
Wroen

This earns Dugby a blank and very long stare from Wroen. "You are doing this on purpose, right? Some of us just thought that getting involved in a fight and rescuing one party of said conflict should lead to further involvement in securing safety for rescued people," Wroen says rather fast, still looking the same, "It's something about not doing things for naught."

Maurkov
2007-09-24, 02:10 PM
"So, if you," he addresses the bard, the drow and the gnome, "will excuse us, we have things to attend to.""A moment. As this gnome assisted in defending my establishment, my offer extends to him as well." He turns to Jardin, "Do you have the time and inclination to work on this?"

Alkmaion says to Wroen, "Don't worry. You've done so much for us already. I think we just need to get past the choke point," he gestures with his thumb at the door, "and we'll be fine. I know Stormreach better than most. Once we've lost them, we won't be found."

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-24, 02:17 PM
Jardin

Shaking his head free from thinking on his spell preparation. Jardin smiles at the offer. "I would appreciate going along. I think that I can certainly offer assistance in this venture, to be honest I could use the money.

Maurkov
2007-09-24, 02:20 PM
"And does that work for you?" he asks Dugby.

fendrin
2007-09-24, 02:20 PM
Darryn

Darryn claps Wroen on the shoulder and says to him, conspiratorially, but loud enough to be heard by all "You're making the mistake of taking our self-proclaimed leader too seriously."

Bigmac
2007-09-24, 02:28 PM
"A moment. As this gnome assisted in defending my establishment, my offer extends to him as well."

Yergal chokes on a bit of food but manages to get out, "You call waving your arms and getting stabbed help?" Yergal waves his hand dismissivly before he sets his plate, once so full of food but now suprisingly barren, on the table. He asks Dugby, "So, we leaving tonight or can I make other arrangements?" as he looks back toward the kitchen and Sophie.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-25, 02:19 AM
Dugby

Wroen says, "It's something about not doing things for naught."

Dugby provides an equally blank stare, but a much shorter one. "I thought I was clear, earlier, the times when I said I was irked at their ruining my evening, and possibly this place. That's hardly for naught." His eyes don't linger upon Wroen, but turn to the bard.

"Seems you've convinced some of my team to aid you in some way. I presume to sneak out of Stormreach, eh? That rather leaves us with your dirty laundry, doesn't it?" The irritation is obvious. Pinching the spot between his eyes for a few moments, he says, "Alright. Just deal with it however you've decided. But make it quick; there's money to be made and the sooner the better. We'll have to deal with those leftover elves, regardless, and I'm less interested in helping them catch their quarry, than I am ending their chase entirely. Bad seeds."

"And does that work for you?" Emile asks Dugby.

Considering the situation for a moment, he finally decides to turn the decision over to the others. "I suppose. If the others are up for it. However," he looks down at Jardin's face, "You will be entitled to half the gold reward." He quickly holds up a hand to belay any immediate retort. After a few moments of deep thought, he adds a qualification.

"If you're interested in something more long term, in thinking over what lay ahead--that is, beyond this side task--I believe we might be able to use your skills. If this basic idea is acceptable, you may view the current charter and if still interested, can sign with the rest of us. As a proper member of this company, you will be entitled to a full cut of the proceeds, as per stipulations in the charter. Your choice." Apparently, Dugby's decided to decide this for himself, after all.

He looks to Yergal, and nods. Which part of Yergal's question was being agreed with is difficult to say.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-25, 03:43 AM
Althan

Yergal chokes on a bit of food but manages to get out "You call waving your arms and getting stabbed help?"

Althan clears his throat lightly, and says to Dugby
"Speaking of getting stabbed, I could still use healing if you've got any prepared, Dugby.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-25, 06:10 AM
Jardin

Smirking at Dugby, "Sure, I will agree to that as long as you carry my pack for me, since the offer is not from you and you are not doing the paying I see no reason to be treated as a second class individual or do you feel that I should get half due to being half your size? Are you sizist? Mayhap, I should speak with your halfling friend about you?"

Jardin proceeds to wink at Yergal to show he is attempting to goad Dugby. Bluff to not let Dugby see the conspiritorial wink. (1d20+2=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1285236)

Looking over to the charter still on the table, Jardin begins to read through it intently all the while mumbling about keeping two of the attackers busy while few others had such insurmountable odds.

Bigmac
2007-09-25, 10:22 AM
Yergal sees the wink and makes a hideous (and obvious) face with his facial muscles tensed and his tongue sticking out at Jardin. He sates frimly, "Yergal does NOT do THAT. Never."

Got a 6 on my sense motive, so he had no idea what Jardin was trying to do.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-25, 11:21 PM
Dugby

Jardin's remark gains a sneer, but a relatively heatless reply, "The fact that Althan is part of this company dismisses your contention. Big or small, you pull your weight. Beyond that and loyalty to the company as a whole, I couldn't care less."

Dugby stands quietly, observing the gnome as he peruses the charter contract. A few moments pass, when he remarks, "If you choose not to become part of this company--and may I add, it will be your loss--be prepared to travel on your own." Jardin's accusation seems to have festered a bit in the interim.

OOCSense Motive vs tricky gnome: [roll0]. Ahhh...let the snarkiness ensue!

fendrin
2007-09-26, 07:29 AM
Darryn

"Right then... if we're done with the snippyness, Dugby, we still have some other business to attend to?" He says as he stands and nods towards the storeroom.

Cogito
2007-09-26, 07:56 AM
Wroen

After having listened long enough to the small interlude between Dugby and Jardin, he finally gives Alkmaion a nod and speaks up:
"So does anybody here have the ability to cast invisbility? I forgot wether anybody said so."

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-26, 02:22 PM
Jardin

"I can cast the spell but need to spend some time preparing it. Also I can create an image to hide us for now."

With those words Jardin quickly chants a spell and an image appears surrounding the group changing the makeup of the bar to hide their presence. adding people to the mix and creating a wall of illusion hiding the truth of the presence of Alkaimon and Lahara.

Jardin quickly puts pen to paper, shows Dugby and the others his sign then rolls it up for storage.

Cast Minor Image to hide the centre of the bar behind a wall showing a different image.

Maurkov
2007-09-26, 02:35 PM
"So my plan is that while Jardin rests and prepares, I shall stay here and drink. Once Lahara is invisible and I am Disguised, we shall depart to a safe place not far from here. Once I find a new ship, we'll go.

"I, for one, am ready to do my part." Alkmaion reaches down for the bottle he had previously set aside. Finding it missing he casts around with a faux-evil look which eventually settles on Emile, who studiously fails to notice.

Noting the various glances towards the storeroom, Alkmaion adds, "I dont really have time to deal with any of the loot I won this evening. You gentlemen are welcome to distribute it amongst yourselves. Good luck on your quest."

To Emile: "Don't get up, I'll help my self." Alkmaion pushes back his chair and heads towards the bar.

Emile waits for the negotiations between Jardin and the others to resolve, dividing his attention between them and the bard.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 10:20 PM
Dugby

"Oh, don't worry, Darryn, we'll get to that very soon," replies Dugby with a wry grin. Darryn knew, as well as anyone, that no spoils go unlooted without exceptional reason.

He waits a bit for Jardin to finish, doublechecks his signature, and takes possession of the contract. It quickly worms it's way back into his pack, while Dugby watches the gnome weave a spell.

"No funny business on the contract, right? None of that illusionary writing or whatever it is you call it," he asks Jardin. The words are intoned neutrally, indicating fairly clearly the question's an acknowledgement that he's aware of such tricks, rather than an actual accusation.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-09-27, 03:29 PM
Jardin

"I am as honest as the others of this group and appreciate the confidence that has been placed upon my shoulders." Jardin then turns from Dugby to search out his spellbook, a slight crease on his forehead showing his concentration on the illusion that he has weaved.

Cogito
2007-09-27, 05:19 PM
Wroen

"Soo... we're waiting here while our new friend here prepares his spell?", Wroen asks, obviously quite ready to hear a positive answer.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-29, 02:10 AM
Dugby

"I suppose, if it's necessary for him to do so and it can be done in short order," He turns to Jardin, for confirmation or expansion on the details.

One of Dugby's failings, though not always obvious, is his propensity to be distracted by contention, much as his mood tends to change in the same manner. He quirks and eye and makes a rather sour smirk at something that must be on or near the ceiling; or, at least, it seems so.

Something was missing. It took a moment to sort it out, having been used to just four names on his contracts in the past--this recent expansion to six almost clouded a rather important detail. While Jardin responds to Dugby's silently inferred question, he retrieves the charter contract he'd just stowed, unfurls it, and regards the bottom where four signatures are scribbled.

"Hold it, hold it! Our little altercation sidetracked something important." He looks up from the scroll, glancing directly at Yergal then at Wroen.

"It seems you two gentlemen have forgotten to properly commit to our fine coven of witches," he says with only a slight bit of accusation. He realized it was his responsibility to ensure the contract was properly dealt with, so he had no room to pass the blame to them.

The contract, and soon after, a pen and ink pot, are slid to Wroen, first, but he speaks to both. "If you would."

Bigmac
2007-09-29, 07:39 AM
Yergal gives a sour look when the contract is brought up. He had hoped that it would not have come to this. As it is slid over towards him, the barbarian does not touch it. Instead he looks intently at Dugby. There is something unsettling about his demeanor and a fire behind his words.

"Paper is weak. Easily broken. Words spoken in the presence of many, they are strong. Yergal is a man of honor. I treat you the same. Let us agree here, before all, to do what we must. That is better than paper."

Cogito
2007-09-29, 11:28 AM
Post #45

"I do know that my siganture is tiny and could also be mistaken for a simple blotch of ink, but I have signed exactly here," Wroen points out quite amused, and when you follow his finger to the siganture you see a rather small and ugly W accompanied by a few other, not readable letters. All in all the thing really does look like some inarticulate doodling on a first fleeting glance.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-30, 12:28 PM
Dugby

"Ahh...hmm...I see. I believe I'll blame missing that on the dim light in this place. Be sure to deal with that problem, sometime soon, eh Emile?" That part of the subject is quickly changed.

"One down..." he turns to Yergal. When he refuses to sign properly, Dugby provides a verbose layer of explanation in hopes of putting the situation to bed without further difficulty.

"While I agree with your sentiments, and I, too, believe that honor transcends mere signatures and thick speech, there are local legal issues I, as organizer of this expeditionary company, must cater to. If I fail to do so, there could be difficult entanglements for those of us who have signed, should certain potential things occur during our exploration. It's all very iffy and contingency-based, of course, but to be blunt, I don't care to be left holding the legal bag of bones should anything unfortunate occur." Dugby smiled innocently and wiggled an index finger at the pen lying next to the contract.

"A simple sigil or initial is all that's necessary. The rest of us will act as witness in addition to Emile, who, as a legally functioning businessman of this fine city, has a certain reputation we can rely on should there be any questions at a later date. If you care to have the thick language of the contract recited in layman's terms, I'd be glad to do so. I'm afraid there's no way around this part, my friend. I am simply bound by law to require your signature. Honor works amongst men of good faith, but I'm afraid, it doesn't carry as well in local courts should something unforseen occur that lands us there."

Bigmac
2007-09-30, 02:35 PM
Yergal slowly moves over and picks up the pen treating it as if it were something horribly cursed. He looks at it for a moment, trying to understand exactly what the thing is. Having seen the others sign, Yergal attempts to do the same and scribble something out that would appease this man. Unfortunately, Yergal managed to use the wrong end of the device and nothing happens. Embarrassed and frustrated, Yergal snaps the pin in two before hurling it across the room followed closely by a curse in Argonessen. He turns his fury toward Dugby, a visage that has proceeded many men's death. He stares for an uncomfortable amount of time before saying, "You think that THING is better than my word! Your courts and laws have made you weak and fearful. <pointing to the contract> This is nothing more than trash to me. If you are not man enough to earn my respect, then no one, and certainly not A PIECE OF PAPER, will force me to do anything unless I wish it.

Yergal grabs the knife he used to eat off of his plate. For a moment he considers throwing the knife as well, but this time at a particular target. Instead, he slices it across his palm and lets the blood begin to pool as he holds his hand out. "Still, you have proved a man of action, and I will follow you into the jungle. Come good or ill, you have my sword by your side. I just pray that your cities have not made you too soft." With that, Yergal slams his blood stained palm down on the contract, carelees of where he places it. He then lickes off the remaining blood from his hand before he reaches for a dirty cloth lying on the table to bandage the cut.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-30, 03:29 PM
Dugby

Looking uneasy in the face of Yergal's outburst, Dugby hopes for the best, considering he could no more likely fend him off physically than he could stuff him into a wine bottle. Fortunately, it wasn't terribly difficult to see that he was more upset at the situation than at him--which was a conclusion that only made him feel slightly less threatened.

When Yergal stared, Dugby stared, too. It was a tiger and a deer, situation. Dugby didn't flinch, but instead something fairly odd occurred to him that very nearly made him laugh: he recalled the silly claims that playing dead in the face of an angry bear would convince it to leave you alone. The image was so preposterously surreal, it actually served to keep Dugby from sweating or speaking, for that matter.

Fortunately, Yergal ultimately cut himself, which was just fine by Dugby, and acquiesced to sign the offending paper in his own bestial fashion.

Dugby cleared his throat and stood fully upright again, after realizing he'd cringed a bit. Attempting to recover control of the situation, he says in a voice mostly similar to his norm, "That'll do." As soon as Yergal's hands were otherwise occupied, the contract was pulled back to Dugby's side, blotted with Althan's cuff before he could yank it away, rolled and stashed in his pack where it was safe from further abuse.

A sad glance was thrown at his poor pen as it lay shattered on the floor. "That was my favorite, too..." he muttered just above the thin breath it took to form the words.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-09-30, 10:48 PM
Althan

Well, that could have gone worse. Who knows, maybe now he'll dumb down the contract so you don't have to get someone to teach you how to read it...hell, who am I kidding?

With this thought, Althan grins slightly, hiding it in his glass as he takes another swallow. He looks like he wants to say something flippant, but apparently he does actually know how to hold his tongue when the fit takes him.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-01, 02:12 AM
Jardin

Looking sourly at Dugby, Jardin creases his face when he inspects the scroll again and mutters just loudly enough for Dugby to hear, "Pompous fool, no matter how hard you try you can never become a gnome."

He then turns to his newly found book to begin his preparations. Once that is done Jardin looks up, "I will need to clear my mind and I can only do this through rest before I can complete my preparations. The problem being that the spell I have woven will fade. We should take this opportunity to go someplace less conspicuous."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-01, 11:52 AM
Dugby

"I have no desire to be a gnome...less than none, in fact," he says matter-of-factly, apparently completely ignoring the gnome's insult.

He sighs at the thought of further delay, especially one that nets them nothing of value.

"We'll leave through the side entrance. Anything further, here? Emile? Anyone?"

OOCMaurkov - I suppose one of us should know of a place to go to allow Jardin to rest up. I doubt anyone has a residence in the city, and I've been living at the library (backstory element). An average inn might be middle-of-the-road enough.

Bigmac
2007-10-01, 01:12 PM
Yergal, unwilling to let the treasure sit unwatched for too long pipes up. "I think you should check out the storeroom before you go. Maybe he can take a nap in there?"

Cogito
2007-10-01, 04:08 PM
Wroen

"Well, if you really need to go somewhere, I've got a small apartement, well it's more a permanent room in a nearby inn. I've known the owner for quite some time, you know."

OOC: Never lived anywhere else than in Stormreach, so I allowed myself to make this up.

Maurkov
2007-10-01, 11:59 PM
Emile returns, "Did I miss anything?" he asks jovially (and waving off any attempted replies).

((Who's resting where, who's picking through loot, and who's going to stay and drink? It's nearing midnight.))

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-02, 12:44 AM
Jardin

"I could do with a cot in your store Master Emile, however I am uncomfortable with doing so until all those involved in tonights fracas are out of sight - particularly the quarry of the those Drow."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-02, 06:23 AM
Dugby

Dugby blinks at Jardin, obviously somewhat puzzled at his remark. "Don't you...didn't you just...nevermind. Do whatever it is you have to do to do whatever you have to do. It's beyond the company's scope, anyway. Yergal and I will be seeing to other business. The rest of you can decide your own fates until we set off at dawn tomorrow. That is, unless everyone is keen on getting an earlier start. We'll decide that later."

He aims himself toward the storeroom, and says as he walks by Yergal, "Come, my good man, let us see to business, shall we?" Dugby thinks to himself, Perhaps a bit of common ground will cool that boiled blood of yours.

OOCAssuming Yergal comes along, and no one stops us, I guess we'll be searching the Drow corpses. It's probably safe to assume we'll both be taking 20, which for me, means I roll a 20 as needed. :smallsigh:

fendrin
2007-10-02, 01:26 PM
Darryn

"I'm with you Dugby. Let me show you what we've found."

Darryn walks to the storeroom and unlocks the door, slipping the key back into his pocket when he is done.

OOC:
It was over 50 posts ago, but the searching has already been done, including sorting out magical items. The items are currently in 3 piles in the storeroom, as described here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3174710&postcount=112)
Current distribution stands at:
Yergal: 1pp

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-02, 02:57 PM
Dugby

Stepping aside, Dugby provides a path between himself and Yergal, waiting for him to take the lead. "Excellent. Always fine to have the man with the key along," he says, with most of his usual joviality returning.

He follows Darryn into the storeroom and peruses the three groups of items. He inspects the bundle of black feathers and eyeballs the gold spheres, eventually saying into the open air, "Interesting. Any idea what these are?" Placing the last sphere back with the rest, he moves to consider the flasks, adding, "Well, we'll be able to occupy our time on wait for Jardin, by figuring out what these do, as well."

OOCThanks for the xref to the goods. I'll reply (if needed) late tonight when I get home. Cheerz!

fendrin
2007-10-02, 03:56 PM
Darryn

"Well, in the first pile is magical things, in the second is valuables and coin, and the third is potentially useful or salable non-magical items. That includes items that may be alchemical in nature."

He indicates the items in the first pile.

"All magic items are minor in strength, which is to be expected given the relative strength of the raiding party.

The ring was on the wizard and is abjurative in nature. Likely a simple protection ring. Useful to those who for one reason or another do not wear armor.

The fetish is divinatory, which surprised me given that it was on one of the warriors. It's purpose is unknown, though I would imagine that it would have a one-time effect, given the simplicity of it's construction. An alternative idea is that it may be a tool to track the dancer.

Lastly, two potions, identical to all methods of observation applied so far. transmutative in nature, and taken from two of the other warriors. Could be just about anything, though given that they were on the warriors, probably something useful before,in, or after combat."

He pauses for a moment.

"I have a couple of scrolls I can use to identify the items, but I would prefer to save them for the field, when the pearls necessary are a bit harder to procure. Now that we have a true arcanist, I would suggest we visit a jeweler and purchase a few pearls. Our gnomish ally can then prepare the necessary spells and identify the items tomorrow."

He sighs.

"Of course, this brings us back to the debate we had a while back about whether costly components used for the party should be covered by the party funds."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-02, 11:33 PM
Dugby

Casually leaning against a wall while Darryn enumerated the various known details, Dugby listened and glanced at each item of interest, in turn. Nodding when he finishes, he pushes himself away from the wall with a booted foot and returns to the table.

"I think it's covered already, as a practical extension of the purpose of the party reserve. If it aids the party, or a majority, funds can be drawn from it. This fits the criteria about as well as anything. We can't do much without knowing what these things do. We'll just have to hope they're worth more to us than the pearls."

Sifting through the mundane armor and weaponry, he doesn't appear impressed. "I'm not seeing anything that's likely to be of interest to the others, so we'll need to get hold of Inky or Fix to dispose of these. Emile can send a chore-boy to fetch one, if they haven't all fled the place. Fix' shop is closest, so we'll send the boy to him first, and hope he's still poring over his day's theft, as he usually is. Besides, if you recall last time, Inkalia has a tendency to try and undercut us on armor when she knows we don't want to lug it elsewhere." The angular face of the gnome merchant sprang into his mind's eye, complete with haughty sense of superiority. "After today, I'm becoming slightly less fond of gnomes, in general." An initial smirk twists into a grin as he raps twice on the table top, indicating his personal survey of items is done.

"Let's sort aside the magic and undefined items, then see if anyone wants anything in particular. Nothing here strikes my fancy, yet. I'm curious about those spheres, though. They look like they'd work nicely in my sling. Anyway, Fix can have the rest. I'll go get Emile on that runner," he says as he turns to exit the room.

OOCMaurkov - I really hope you don't mind me making up some utilitarian NPCs. They're sorta like part of our backstory, anyway. Kinda links me into the setting a bit more, as a player.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-03, 12:42 AM
Jardin

Once the group has left the bar, Jardin sigh's So adventure is like this eh... my goodness I hurt, perhaps I can get Emile to send for a Jorasco? I need to ask him.

Jardin moves out of sight and double checks that all are gone before entering the store.

"Emile, could you get a healer sent over here? I believe I have enough money to pay for one."

Cogito
2007-10-03, 08:07 AM
Wroen

"Have you hade a taste of the potions. I guided and alchemist around the ruins once, and he said that most potions are identifiable by taste," Wroen asks, "of course, this only works if you have drunken such a potion before..."

fendrin
2007-10-03, 08:37 AM
Darryn

"Taste them? No, I leave that for those amongst us less likely to die from the ingestion of toxins. Would you like to volunteer?"

Oh, and Dugby I think those spheres have a higher monetary value than value as sling bullets."

Cogito
2007-10-03, 01:53 PM
Wroen

"What was the saying? Right, the dosage makes the poison... or something like that. Whatever, I'll taste them. At least we then know if they are the same."

With that Wroen takes the to vials, uncorks them, carefully dips a finger in, and with a dramatic pause, tastes them.

OOC: I'm not sure which potions Wroen will have most likely used during his career, but enlarge person would most likely not be among them.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-03, 07:17 PM
Althan

Meandering in to the room after his companions, Althan looks over the scene, watches Wroen sampling the bottles, and mutters to himself
"Better you than me."
He leans against a nearby wall, looks over the pile, and asks more loudly
"So, any idea what it is, sonny jim? Or, for that matter, anyone got an idea 'bout how much we can get for this stuff?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-04, 07:37 AM
Dugby

His plan to exit the room was stalled as he stood aside to allow the glut of others to enter. As he paused, he replied to Darryn's remark.

"Oh, I assume as much, Darryn. I'm just hoping they'll be special sling bullets, if you follow." Once the path was clear, he left the room to find Emile, but caught Althan's question a step or two outside the room, and moved to poke his head back through the door, to say, "I'm hoping to get Fix over here to take the loose things off our hands. He's reasonably square with us, so we'll find out soon enough."

Taking a seat at the counter, he asks, "Any of your little scrubbers still around after the scuffle? I need one to make a quick run to Fix's shop to see if he can stop by to pick up the drow's leftovers. There's a silver in it for him." Always the generous one. Then again, Emile's chore-boys are probably awed if he throws them a copper, so everything's relative.

Maurkov
2007-10-04, 01:15 PM
To the multiple requests for runners, Emile says, "I'm sorry, we're still short handed. For healing, Alkmaion can probably spare another cure or two, especially since you'll be turning his girlfriend invisible later.

"For a fen... merchant, I don't know. If you're getting an early start tomorrow, I can hold the stuff for you until you get back, and if you wish, call 'em down to appraise it while you're gone."

Cogito
2007-10-04, 02:45 PM
Wroen

"Urgh," Wroen coughs as he tastes the potions. "No, I have definitely not drunken some of these before. Tastes as if you are licking some spilled ale off a forrest ground. But they are definitely the same, as you said."
Wroen pauses a moment before speaking up again:
"But may our dear druid is able to identify them..."

When Emile speaks of the healing that Jardin seemed wanting to keep secret, he walks over to the gnome, draws the wooden stick he had bought earlier, and touches his head with a single word.

Cure Light Wounds (1d8+1=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1299702)

"Now that you're with the group, you get full benefits, right, Dugby?"

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-04, 03:11 PM
Althan

Althan speaks up as Wroen heals Jardin.

"What about me? I know it's out of sight, out of mind, but come on. I took a couple good hits myself."

Cogito
2007-10-04, 05:49 PM
Wroen

"As you have asked so nicely," Wroen says wrily, and the wand tip touches Althan's head a bit faster than necessary.

CLW (1d8+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1299944)

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-04, 06:50 PM
Althan

"Well thank you kindly. I'm still hurt, but not so badly anymore. I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now...i was for a moment there, you know. What would you all do if you didn't have me as a chaperone, eh?

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-05, 01:20 AM
Jardin

Stifling a guffaw, Jardin rushes over to prevent any further taste tests. "Uh, by the smell of those clay flasks we are talking about Fire there they are meant to explode for sure. Those golden balls strike me as modified Sunrods as well. I would appreciate being able to keep the Flasks, the balls would do a treat for those that can't see in the dark [looking at Dugby]."

The touch of the wand cause more of Jardins wounds to heal and a greatful smile toward Wroen is extended. "Thank you for including me."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-05, 03:01 AM
Dugby

Suddenly looking a bit tired, again, Dugby says, "Nevermind. We'll manage." He leaves the counter without further comment and returns to the storeroom.

Wroen asked a question of him as he reentered, but the words were lost amidst his other considerations. He did, however, nod and make a small grunting sound.

He stared a moment at the pile of armor and sundry, scratching at the side of his head. One ear managed to detect the last words of Jardin's comment to Wroen, to which he relied, "Yes, no problem...none at all," mistaking the intended subject of the words.

Shifting to a state of proper lucidity, he says, "Alright, Emile is being a drek and won't have one of his little minions do us the favor of fetching Fix for us," He smirks a bit at the unintentional alliteration. "I don't want to leave this stuff lying around--better coin in pocket, I say. Fix' place isn't far, so we'll stop by on our way to wherever you've all decided to go that isn't, what was it? Less conspicious. Speaking of which, have you actually picked a place, or not? There are a few taverns that don't get many talkative or inquisitive types--mostly because they're too busy keeping their own profiles low. One of them should be fine for the time we need. Or was there a problem with that plan?"

OOCMaurkov - consider this a request for a little info on a nearby tavern that fits the bill.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-05, 10:58 AM
Jardin

Taking the final flask in hand Jardin sniff's and swirls the liquid around in a manner that speaks of past experience. "This is interesting, I think it might me Druidic in nature, with a hint of a Fey of somekind perhaps? Definitely for use outdoors, I like this one, I think it will mask ones passing, great to avoid being followed..... Perhaps an added security for Lahara, should they have an able tracker who could follow even the invisible or at least the invisible's trail."

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-05, 01:40 PM
Althan

Becoming decidedly more serious, Althan's tone becomes less jovial, and says in response
"Well, it's not that hard to do that, really. Invisible people still leave trails...hell, they tend to get cocky and leave em' bigger than normal. Even if they take care, most people leave enough of one to get an idea of where they're goin...and then theres scent. I'm not the only one who can follow someone by that alone, and I have help doing it. Anyone resourceful enough can hire a shifter tracker what can sniff someone out. Hell, they can just hire out House Tharashk if they're really desperate. Anything like that will help them out, but don't take it as a cure-all."

fendrin
2007-10-05, 01:48 PM
Darryn

"Well, It's not my usual style, but seeing I didn't have time to finish my new set of armor, I could probably make do with one of these sets. Unusual construction, but better than nothing. Jardin, do you have the spell prepared to identify the magic items we got off of them?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-06, 12:35 AM
Dugby

Having a question entirely ignored is not something Dugby is particularly fond of. Certainly, the brain-numbing thought of looted playthings is enough to drain one's awareness, but the result still irked him. Even so, he forced a smile and reiterated at a different angle.

Clearing his throat loudly, he begins, "Darryn, if you want a set of that armor--it's chitin, by the way," he runs a finger around the edges of the uppermost suit. "Seems typical of the sort. Anyway, get to it. Wroen, help him out, if he needs it." He then shifts his gaze to Jardin.

"Now, let's get this entirely clear: you need to rest in order to cast the spell you plan to use for the bard and the dancer, correct? How long do you need, and are you going to sit around here, or not? If not, I know of a suitable inn or two that we can all disappear to for the night. We'll all do better with some sleep, as we have an early start tomorrow. The bard and dancer can stay with us at the inn, and we can dis...usher them to their ship as part of our leaving for our task." Lastly, he remarks on Althan's comment. "We don't really have to care about things to that degree. I hardly think they'll regroup with a new crew of any special worth in the span of one evening. We just need to get them on their ship and once it's off, all the trackers in Stormreach won't do them much good. Let's just get to that part as soon as possible."

He finally comes full circle, faces Jardin again, and awaits his answer.

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-06, 12:49 AM
Jardin

"Pah, I think that you underestimate the abilities of our darkskinned friends, they spend their lives tracking far more dangerous and elusive creatures then a run away. I would not doubt that all of them are better trackers then I could ever be. I know where my strentghs lie as I hope you do. I think since we am not running from anyone we should provide them with the potion."

Huffing at having to explain everything to Dugby, Jardin continues, "I am ready but I think it is best if we are not seen at all, we should rest here, while uncomfortable we can provide protection should they Drow come back and out of sight means out of mind. I will need a good nights rest to allow my mind to release the energies I have learnt. I have finished my preliminary reading I need only to complete my preparations in the morning which will not take long. So if you don't mind I am going to find a semi comfortable resting spot."

Knowledge: Local re: Drow (1d20+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1302701) I want to know what I remember about Drow - specifically Daylight vulnerability etc., to further bring home the fact that we should not move from the Bar.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-06, 01:07 AM
Dugby

"Fine. As for the drow, I doubt very highly they would have brought along the second rate crew for their main purpose. Thus, any replacements are unlikely to be quite so wonderful as the ones that gave us this lovely bounty. For the sake of my schedule, I hope we don't have to find out, either way."

He turns and leaves the room again, finding Emile and notifying him of the decision to remain in the bar for the evening. He further inquires about the situation with Althan's mount--which has, apparently settled somewhere out of sight--and his own animals.

"So, we'll need to know where we can all sleep, and where to leave the animals overnight. Do you have a storeroom that isn't used very often? They're all capable of defending themselves, but leaving them outside in the street all night is less than preferable."

He hadn't even bothered to consider a flat refusal to all this.

Cogito
2007-10-07, 06:15 AM
Wroen

During the discussion Wroen sat down at a random table again, and with his feet on said table is now sleeping on a precariously balanced chair.

Maurkov
2007-10-09, 04:41 PM
Emile goes from dismissive to stern to defeated. He says, "Sure. Why not? Put your animals in the storeroom with the drow. It has to be cleaned anyway."

Bigmac
2007-10-09, 05:04 PM
Seeing that the crew was not planning on doing anything tonight, Yergal decides to make the most of the evening and heads out of the room. "I'll be back before morning." He says as he leaves and heads towards the kitchen to see if he could lend Soph any more assistance.

Maurkov
2007-10-09, 05:22 PM
Yergal finds Soph in the kitchen making dough. She looks guilty for an instant, then smiles at him, "You should get some sleep. Big day tomorrow."

Bigmac
2007-10-09, 05:34 PM
Yergal laughs. He moves to help Soph as he asks "Maybe you can to show me the best place to sleep? I doubt it's the storeroom.

fendrin
2007-10-09, 09:35 PM
Darryn

Darryn takes the chitin armor closest to his size. After some experimentation and a few minor modifications, he figures out how to wear it effectively.
"Not quite as good as what I'm making but it will do." he says to no one in particular.

Craft(Armorsmithing) - [roll0]

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-10, 04:16 AM
Dugby

Dugby raps a knuckle twice on the countertop and points a finger at Emile. "Good deal. I'll go tell the others, then see to my children."

With that he makes his way back to the storeroom to let those still present know the situation, making special note to Althan regarding the animals. As he was about to leave, he turned back and said to the halfling, "Why don't you come along with me, Al. I told you earlier I finally found a companion for Korn. Besides, he'll want to visit with you for a bit before we stick 'em in the storeroom for the night."

He also takes a moment to glance Darryn up and down, then remarks, "Very becoming. We'll make a proper drow of you yet."

"Bring a waterproof cloak," he suggests over his shoulder, obviously to Althan. Dugby laughs rather evilly as he begins to wend his way toward and through the back rooms that eventually lead out to the side street.

OOCI'm assuming Althan will want to come along. If not, I'll edit.

Maurkov
2007-10-10, 03:05 PM
Dugby slips out through the kitchen and scullery.

Soph thinks a minute. "Most of the places you'd want to stay won't accept guests this late. A quiet corner of the common room would be alright. A moment."

She gives Yergal a tablecloth to use as a blanket.

Yergal has just left the kitchen when he hears Soph shriek. He wheels around to see her confronting Dugby and animals. Her wooden spoon is held like a weapon. "GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN!"

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-10, 03:17 PM
Althan

(to Dugby)
"Will do. I'll head out to get him in a minute, and meet you in the kitchen."

Althan goes and fetches his trusty companion Gix from outside the entrance, and brings him back inside, to the kitchen. With his usual sense of great timing, Althan manages to head into the kitchen right as Soph brandishes the spoon, having taken a moment to finish his drink first before going outside. Of course, he isn't alone, as Gix is following him closely. He winces at the sight, and tries to make himself unnoticeable to the enraged Soph. Difficult to do, considering the six-foot tall clawfoot towering over him. Trying to calm her down a bit before she kicks someone out, he calls out to her

"Hold on now, we didn't know you hadn't been told. Emile told us to bring our animals in here for the evening. We can't leave them outside, not after earlier."

diplomacy check (1d20+1=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1310176)

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-11, 10:06 AM
Dugby

Flinching at the woman's sudden histrionics, Dugby stops in his tracks. Korn, an oversized bull-baiter, growls menaciningly at her perceiving the raised spoon as a threat. Dugby's youngest child is a clawfoot similar to Althan's, but with larger extremities and claws, and an almost dizzying array of metallic blue and vivid orange stripes across a deep red hide. He throws his head, raising a ruckus in the form of a guttural screech.

Dugby raises his hands to calm them both, and adds to Althan's remark. "We'll be out of your way as soon as you move aside." He looks to Yergal and tips his head toward Soph, hoping he gathers the intent of the gesture.

Maurkov
2007-10-12, 10:40 PM
"Emile told us to bring our animals in here for the evening.""In here? In here!? He's gone too far."

She takes off her hat and apron and throws them down. "Fine. Just help yourselves." She pauses on the way to the door, goes back for her bowl of dough. She walks the long way around to the back door and there struggles into her rain cloak.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-13, 01:26 PM
Dugby

Dugby barely restrained a laugh at the woman's consternation. But by way of soothing her a bit, he said to Althan, "Well, we're not keeping them in the kitchen. We have a little used storeroom to house them for the night. Come on, let's get them out of here before they decide to eat everyon...thing."

Then, with something that could be characterized as a dark sense of humor or a mean streak come alive, he looks to Korn and says, "Hey boy! Look! It's Uncle Althan! Playtime!"

Korn's ears perked and the remnants of his growling demeanor faded as he jerked his face toward Althan. In so doing, his jowls swayed heavily and a fair bit of slobber brought forth while in his defensive stance, splatted to the floor in frothy blobs. He made one of those endearing sounds that people choose to mistake as a questioning 'huh?' when he recognized the halfling. The tail began to wag ominously and he struck.

A big, fat, slobbery tongue ran across the halfling's face, chin to forehead, before he could react. To Althan's good fortune, Korn had mellowed some in the last year and simply stood there panting and wagging his stumpy tail, rather than plopping himself down atop the hapless Althan and licking his face to a bright red sheen.

Dugby snickered evilly and said, "See? I told'ja he missed you." From his current position, Althan could easily see the stamped metal oval on the animal's spiked leather collar. It proclaimed, "IF YOU CAN READ THIS - YOU'RE IN TROUBLE".

The two clawfoots appeared to be somewhat mystified at the big dog's actions, but seemed to understand it wasn't an act of aggression. Bizkit danced a bit from foot to foot, but otherwise remained heeled.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-13, 03:49 PM
Althan

In between slobbery "kisses" from his "nephew," Althan manages to grunt out
"You know,...sometimes I...really...hate you."

Here's to hoping this works, I've seen him give them commands enough to get the idea of what he does, and they trust me, so...

That having been said, he turns his attention to the mongrel holding him down, and says in a cheery voice as he points to Dugby.
"Oh, that's a good boy, yes it is. Go give daddy some kisses"

Going to try a handle animal check to have the mutt switch his moment of affection to his master. handle animal (1d20+4=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314538)

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-14, 07:21 AM
Dugby

The snickering laugh Dugby was enjoying at Althan's suffering quickly gave way to a look of concern. Concern for his own face. "Sneaky bastard!" he blurted as Korn turned and regarded him just as he had Althan.

Dugby dropped into a fight or flight stance, crouched slightly and with hands out. He couldn't very well outrun the beast, and wasn't entirely certain he could easily heel him given that Althan had Korn's trust.

When the dog gained that wide-eyed, playful look, Dugby fell to the master and servant defense, and said sternly to Korn as he came at him, "Heel!" Didn't quite work. In a louder voice--one likely less frantic than he'd use to avoid having his head chopped off--he tried again: "HEEL!"

This time Korn's face dropped and he padded obediently to Dugby's side and sat there panting. With relief, Dugby wiped his brow and patted the dog on the head.

"Nice try, Al," he said mockingly, though underneath he was probably more amused than he was willing to show. "I see I'll have to spend some time with my children and teach them not to listen to anyone but me."

He turned and reached to grab a towel from a nearby counter, then tossed it to Althan.

"Now that the reunion festivities are over, we should get them to the storeroom and set ourselves up to get some sleep. We should be fresh and sharp tomorrow."

OOCHA roll is in OOC.

Maurkov - Emile is allowing us to put the animals in a storeroom and us to sleep...where? I'm not sure if I understood correctly, if we're all expected to be in the same room with the animals, or not. When I spoke to Emile, I intended for us PC types to sleep somewhere other than with the animals.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-15, 01:21 AM
Althan

Althan snickers at Dugby's very real consternation, gleefully replaying the look on his face in his mind. With the laugh still a bit evident in his voice, he says to him
"Hee hee, oh right. Fine then. Thanks for the towel. What the hell have you been feeding him anyways? Did he get bigger, or was he always such a beast? For that matter, where did you get this lovely fellow, eh? I can't imagine you trying to ride a clawfoot, and you were always partial to your dogs. Of course, mine is better, naturally.

He motions with his chin towards the other clawfoot standing in the room as he speaks, the admiration clear in his gaze at the two animals.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-15, 06:47 AM
Dugby

As they led their animals toward the storeroom where the drow had been laid out, Dugby chuckles and says, "Yep, he's finally left his years as an overgrown puppy behind and become a proper dog. I also took a bit of time this last year to lay in some extra training to build some extra muscle, so he's definitely gotten somewhat heavier. As for Bizkit, well, I was looking for a playmate for Korn and met a vendor in the northwest quarter who was just about to leave Stormreach on an airship. Was just my pure luck that he'd overshot his weight and space allotment and was rather vulnerable to some aggressive dickering. He didn't have any mutts on hand, but had a number of clawfoot specimens, two of which were magebred. I could hardly pass up the opportunity--I mean, right away he dropped the price to nearly half what I'd expect, and my inspection revealed he was as healthy as the best Valenar horse you could find. Untrained, as well, which was a boon for me, since I've had hard times retraining other animals back in Westfields."

When they reached the storeroom, he scratched his chin with one hand and reopened the door with the other. "Anyway, he turned out to be a smart one, too. Trained him almost as fast as I did Korn, and they get along amazingly well, considering. Oh, and I won't even be trying to ride him. He could carry me without any trouble, I'm sure, but I'm not very comfortable in the saddle." He points to his temple. "My brain's been twisted ever since I took that nasty fall off that overgrown horse-thing my father brought home from the fair when I was a kid. I get, you know, the same way some people get in enclosed places. But, at least now, I only get nervous and uncomfortable, rather than panicky, like I used to."

He ushers Korn then Bizkit inside, idly adding, "Besides, one day I'll learn to fly, so, no loss, eh?" With a trailing laugh, he bows to Althan and waves his hand into the room. "After you."

Maurkov
2007-10-18, 02:17 PM
Soph gets her cloak on and leaves, too furious to hear Dugby.

Dugby and Althan get their animals squared away in the store room and find quiet enough places to sleep in the common room.
---
Morning:

With no windows, The Well is dimly lit day or night. Only when the curtains are pulled aside does the sunlight (reflected, but still harsh) sunlight enter. Perhaps a dozen patron spent the night. Emile is still there and still awake, speaking quietly to a pair of Sivis gnomes. Alkmaion is sleeping deeply. Lahara has decorated a table like a shrine, with candles and various odd objects. She is praying.

Jardin wakes and studies. The others begin to stir.

Bigmac
2007-10-18, 05:16 PM
Yergal slept well enough. At least it wasn't wet inside and he could still smell the sea. Rising from his slumber, Yergal makes his way over to Emile, "Got something to eat?" Yergal stretches for a bit before moving to put his armor on and waiting for the others to get up.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-18, 05:29 PM
Dugby

Rolling over to end up facing into the light, Dugby pops an eye open and is instantly forced to squint. Realizing it was well after dawn, he flings himself out of his makeshift bed, to his feet. He grumbles as he looks about for his armor, and when it fails to hide from him, stalks over to it, grabbing it with both hands.

"Everyone up! We're late already, dammit. Up up up!" he practically snarls as he manhandles his way into his armor and begins the process of adjusting it to suit his particular build.

"Jardin...you ready to do your thing?" he asks, interrupting the gnome's studies. Dugby continues with his task, but is clearly keeping tabs on everyone to ensure they're not slacking this late in the day.

Maurkov
2007-10-18, 06:59 PM
"Got something to eat?"

As Yergal approaches, Emile gives him a look that says 'don't interrupt while the grownups are talking,' but when it doesn't work, he excuses himself from the gnomes. "No, no I don't," he says, more loudly than necessary, "my chef quit mysteriously some time last night."

fendrin
2007-10-18, 08:12 PM
Darryn

Darryn, tightens the last strap of his newly acquired chitin armor.
"Dugby, not so loud. We're mostly all up anyway."

He tosses a cloak around his shoulders, largely concealing that he is wearing such unusual armor.

Cogito
2007-10-20, 08:24 AM
Wroen

At Dugby's shouting Wroen falls backwards from his chair, somehow rolls and jumps into a standing position, and starts knocking an arrow when he realizes who woke him up.

"Not my fault if you aren't fitting into your armor anymore, so quit shouting."

Wroen is still wearing his armor together with the rest of his equipment. After having put the arrow away again he takes some dried meat out of one of his belt pouches and starts chewing slowly.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-20, 04:48 PM
Dugby

Dugby snorts irritably, dismissing the snippy retorts. He was used to it, and was secretly mildly amused to see that Wroen was fitting in better than expected.

"Everyone have food for the trip? If not, you better get some from Emile before we leave." While he cinches the final straps and shrugs a few times for comfort, he quietly mutters a checklist. Most of it is unintelligible, but water, healing and other basics appear to be provided for.

Arms akimbo, he looks around the room briefly, then heads for the door. Before exiting fully, he turns back and prods Jardin again.

"You there! Get your nose outta that tome and get your agenda settled with the bard so we can work it into our route. I'll feed and dress the kids, and be back in a bit. Oh, and wherever Yergal's gotten to, have him collect up the rest of the armor and blades. We're going to make a quick stop at Fix' place on the way out, and unload them for whatever we can get."

And he was off and out of sight.

He swung by Emile's usual haunt, and let him know some of the crew might need some food. He also secured a few slabs of meat Emile claimed was beef flank, paid quickly, and lugged them into the storeroom where the three animals were behaving themselves well. Nothing like good training, he thought as he tossed each one their breakfast.

It required no more than a minute, if that, for them to dispense with the meal. Dugby then began suiting up his two, and with a bit of extra care, saddled Gix for Althan.

"Three good boys, ready for the day!"

OOCI have a complex morning routine, so I'll let everyone else play catch up, now. :)

Lemme know what the meat cost, and I'll deduct it from my bank account.

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-22, 02:06 AM
Althan

Althan stumbles towards the rest of the group from his hiding place for the night, yawning widely as he finishes buckling his armor down. Seeing the frenzied activity, he mutters

"Where's the fire?

A bit louder, he says
"Two questions: has anyone gotten food together for the trip yet, and where has our fearless leader gone off to? You know what, hold that thought...I've got a fair idea. I'll be back."

His jaw cracking with another wide yawn, he turns and heads to the makeshift animal hold, figuring at the least Gix would be there waiting, probably Dugby too.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-22, 12:11 PM
Dugby

Rather than leave immediately, Dugby stands there before the three animals, each of which could very likely gut him before he could react. Then again, he was mostly staring with satisfaction in his eyes at the results of proper training, which, amongst other things, prevents such things from happening. He'd heard--and a couple times, seen--training fail and the handler pay a nasty price for their incompetence, but Dugby was completely confident. Even Gix, though the ward of another, was behaving very well. No doubt, due to being well-trained by Althan.

Just then, the devil stalked in with a yawning head three feet from the floor. Dugby turned and regarded him with a wide grin.

"All set and ready to go. I'm guessing more than I can say for the rest of our crew, eh?"

His grin drops into a smirk as he thinks, Do I have to prod them every time?

"We should've been out of here an hour ago, at least."

Bigmac
2007-10-22, 12:23 PM
Oh, and wherever Yergal's gotten to, have him collect up the rest of the armor and blades.

"I'm right here. I'll have the stuff ready shortly."

Yergal heads down to the storeroom and begins to gather the spoils into manageable piles then searces for empty, or easily emptied, containers to put the stuff into. He'll load up as much as he can carry into a box for himself to carry, and the rest into bags for the others. When finished, he hauls them out to the main room. He looks around for their "Leader". "Hmm, I thought we were in a hurry."

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-22, 12:45 PM
Althan

Althan turns a baleful gaze to the animals in the room, noting that Gix has been saddled already.
"Oh good, you've saddled him up for me already. Thanks, that's one less thing I have to do. Of course, all I really had to do was roll out of that cozy nook, dress, and strap on my armor...my stuff's all here. And honestly, I can't say I'm surprised that we're running behind schedule...we were all drinking a bit last night, got in a fight, and stayed up a bit later getting things squared away. That, and you'd have us leave three hours earlier if you had your druthers, not that I'd blame you. Think about it this way, regardless of what we do, we'll probably end up getting waylaid and lose time, and I'd rather we spent this extra hour or so resting so that we aren't tired when we do get in another scuffle. It looked to me like everyone was up and moving a moment ago.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-22, 10:48 PM
Dugby

"Then it's time to get them moving out the front door before they all fall asleep again. Oh, and the boys've all had their breakfast, so they should be good to go until this afternoon."

He turned away from Althan to face the animals, stepping forward between Korn and Bizkit and lending each a handfull of scratching fingers. Korn to the back of an ear, and Bizkit to his right jowl. "I'll be back in a few minutes, then we can get you all out of this stuffy old hole."

Back to Althan, he says, "Alright, I'm going to light a fire under the others, particularly that gnome, and see if we can't get moving before noon."

Dugby steps around Althan and exits the makeshift kennel on his way to the makeshift barracks for a makeshift encounter with a makeshift illusionist.

Maurkov
2007-10-23, 12:00 AM
By the time Jardin has finished his studies, Emile has dismissed the gnomes. Alkmaion has roused himself. Lahara disassembles and stows her portable shrine. Emile shakes Alkmaion's hand, and then each checks his belt pouch.

Emile walks back to the bar and the three head for the door. There, Alkmaion and Jardin cast their glammers. Lahara vanishes. Alkmaion becomes a study in non-descript: average height, average build, dark hair, and grayish brown clothing. He looks exactly like someone who slept it off on the floor of a bar somewhere, down to the light dusting of sawdust down one side. "I find the secret of illusion is to tell a story. Make them want to believe. Thank you again for all you've done. Goodbye." Someone invisible kisses Jardin on the forehead. Alkmaion hurries out with Lahara presumably in his wake.

Before the curtain settles, it parts again. Soph is there. She gives a curt not to Jardin and presses into the room. Emile watches her, but neither speak. She approaches Yergal and hands him a basket. "For you. Thank you, again. Be careful out there." She turns to head for the door.
((For Yergal, and Wroen, who is near enough to notice))Pan dolce. Warm.
http://www.cucinaironia.it/hotcrossbur.gif
Emile opens his mouth and closes it again. Instead he goes in the back to find Dugby. When he finds him, he says, "You've been a fine patron but you are an extremely troublesome employee. When you get back, we're going to need some ground rules. Foremost of which is that your animals are not allowed in the kitchen. You know she's Ghallanda, right?"

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-23, 01:54 AM
Jardin

Smiling at Dugby's telling off, Jardin confidently announces "I am ready to head out as soon as everybody else is."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-24, 07:30 AM
Dugby

As Dugby looks around for the next issue to tie down, Emile materializes before him, and says, "You've been a fine patron but you are an extremely troublesome employee. When you get back, we're going to need some ground rules. Foremost of which is that your animals are not allowed in the kitchen. You know she's Ghallanda, right?"

With a snort, Dugby replies, "Please. I've seen worse running through that kitchen of hers. Look, it was either that or go traipsing all around the building and down through the main customer area. If nothing else, your patrons would assume they were to be the next special on the menu. So, I did you a favor by keeping their presence on the low and quiet. Besides, they'll be out of here soon enough, along with the rest of us. I wanted to go to the Eagle and Sun, anyway, but no, he," a glance at Jardin, "had to stick around to help your hired entertainment to escape the place. Done and done. No need to worry about any of it, now. Give Soph a brandy on my tab, if that'll calm her frazzled nerves."

Folding his arms across his chest and shrugging the whole incident away, he turns his gaze upon Jardin.

"So, if you're done with all the secondary trivialities, get your things. We're going whether the others are done putting their diapers on, or not."

Brooking no further delays, he moves off quickly toward the room where the animals were housed, pausing to yell toward the open storeroom where the less civilized animals in the group had slept.

"Time to get moving. Collect your stuff now or tell Emile you're moving in." An extra glance finds Yergal. "Yergal...ahh, good man. I see you've done as requested. More than I can say for certain others. You'll only have to lug that stuff around for a bit, as Fix is our first stop. Do me a favor and rouse up the others, wherever they've gotten to and tell 'em we're moving. Jardin and I will be out front, waiting."

With a nod, as if he were the one acknowledging the instructions, Dugby finishes his walk to the storeroom to acquire Korn and Bizkit, and leads them out into the main room.

"You should go ahead of me, I think," he says to Jardin, as he leads the way for the animals. As the quartet pass Emile's counter, Dugby shrugs in feigned helplessness as he does exactly what he claimed earlier he was trying to avoid. "Don't want to upset Soph again, y'know?"

Snickering to himself, he, Jardin and the kids make their way out front.

OOCTrying to play catch-up. I don't think there's too much left to do here. Pardon me for dragging Jardin along, but it seemed reasonable since he's being puppeted anyway. I figure the rest of you can manage the exit scene on your own. :)

fendrin
2007-10-24, 07:52 AM
Darryn

As soon as the door shuts behind the gnome, human and menagerie, Darryn sighs.
"Sometimes he really annoys me." He says to Althan. "If he weren't so useful I'd vote we gag him."

Shrugging, he grabs his pack and heads out the front door, where he sits with his back against the wall in the exact same posture that he was in when Dugby left the common area.

Bigmac
2007-10-24, 11:04 AM
Yergal

"For you. Thank you, again. Be careful out there."

Yergal could smell the treats, and gives Soph a big smile. He gives her a wink. "Careful out there? Heh, out there needs to be careful around me. I bring you back something nice, you'll see." He then stuffs a few of the pastires in his mouth before wrapping the rest up in the cloth and tying it to his waist.

Yergal glances at the stuff and the others that have headed outside. He shrugs and picks up the crate that he loaded for himself. He was used to being ordered around and not averse to manual labor so Dugby's orders didn't bother him. Gold was gold. But he couldn't carry it all. If the others wanted to leave there share, that was their buisness. He meets Dugby outside. "Someone going to grab the rest or you want to leave it to rot?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-24, 12:48 PM
Dugby

With a nod to Yergal, he takes a quick head count. Despite what one ex-employee once claimed, Dugby can count to six just fine. However, he didn't quite make it, seeing that Wroen and Althan were still dilly-dallying around inside.

And then there was the issue of the heavier spoils. He'd given Yergal the job of lugging it around not so much because it was necessary for him to do so, but in part, because he preferred team members being used to pulling their weight even when it wasn't always necessary. Early on, it provided purpose and a sense of place; later, it wouldn't matter. At this point, however, the delays were beginning to truly yank Dugby's chain.

"Yergal, drop the crate and go back and get the rest. While you're there, stick Wroen and Althan in some sacks and drag them up here, too. Wave Althan in front of his pet to get him to follow along." he said rather snarkily. How much of that was to be taken literally was difficult to discern given his darkening mood.

When Yergal leaves, Dugby decants the items in the crate and arrays the larger of them across the backs of Korn and Bizkit, cinching them down with rope. The rest are stuffed into one or two of the saddlebags. He then waits impatiently for the missing links to arrive.

Bigmac
2007-10-24, 01:32 PM
Yergal places the crate on the ground and returns inside the Well, pushing the flap aside. He points to Wroen and Althan. "Help me get the rest of this." With that, the three grab the remaining loot and meet the rest of the group outside the well.

Yergal's glad to see that Dugby has attached some of the supplies to the animals. At least they were good for something other than food. "Which way to Fix's?"

The_Lonely_d12
2007-10-25, 12:28 AM
Althan

"Ah, he's impatient as always. No problem, I was on my way out anyways.

He grabs what he can carry comfortably-a considerable amount, considering his stature-and heads outside, Gix following behind.

Dropping the arms and equipment he brought out onto the dwindling pile, he looks over the remainder, mentally figuring what he could stuff away in the saddlebags available to him. Fitting as much as possible without ruining anything, he looks over the group, and asks

"Anything else pressing, or are we off now?"

Kirnon_Bhale
2007-10-25, 09:13 AM
Stepping away from Dugby as if tugging free on an invisible grip on his collar Jardin walks over to the stable, after a quick whisper to the stable boy Jardin hands over a copper and retrieves a mule fully saddled with tent and various accoutrements.

"I don't see what all the fuss was about your Dinosaurs, the elves would never have known that they were yours." sighing at the heavy handed nature that Dugby has. Jardin quickly pops into the kitchen to thank Soph for her hospitality, not wanting to burn any bridges on their return. "Do you mind if I keep hold of some of those glow balls?" Jardin says the last bit almost as an after thought.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-25, 06:28 PM
Dugby

As the rest of the loose items arrive, Dugby shuffles them to saddlebags or balanced positions, more or less evenly distributed across his two animals.

When Jardin retrieves his mule, Dugby regards it with a brief, passive stare. They were useful enough creatures, though quick corpses in a fight.

"We're all present, and loaded up, so it's time to go. Fix' place is that way," he says, pointing down the street.

"Shup, shup!" Both the dog and the dino begin moving in behind and to the side, following their master.

OOCKB - I'm not sure who that last question was directed at. Soph? Or did you come out and say it?

I'll be back late tonight, so Maurkov, please feel free to drag us to Fix, and NPC me if you think there's some reason I'd haggle with his offer. Then we can move off in whatever direction the wreck is supposed to be in.

fendrin
2007-10-25, 07:19 PM
Darryn

Darryn stands, brushes the dust and dirt of of his cloak, grabs his pack and follows Dugby to the fence.