PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help needed: creating an artifact

Foxydono
2017-10-16, 10:48 AM
As the title states, I need some help creating an artifact. To give some background, it's made by the god of invincibility, fearlessness and tieflings. This is a homebrew god who's a barbarian tiefling who doesn't know how to walk away from a fight. He is reckless, but not dumb and will fight till his last breath. I envision the artifact as a pair of gloves/gauntlets that activate upon raging. When raging the arms/hands become two sizes larger than the wearer and can extend and move in all directions. Kind of like when naturo turns half beast or gaara with his hand of sand or D-gray men with his demonic hand. There are some other examples but you guess were I'm going at. The artifact is created with four main ingredients (some elemental particles from the elder elemental god (from the elemental evil campaign), scales from ancient dragons (from both the five main color chromatic and metallic dragons), the elastic skin of a kraken and the blood of demon ruler in the nine hells. Finally they need a powerful wizard to enchant it all together.

The idea is that the elastic flexibility of the arm comes from the power of the kraken skin, it is hardened by the scales of the ancient dragons and the berserker fury comes from the demons blood and it gets charged by the elemental particles that roam through the gloves. The arms are supposed to be a weapon of sorts and so the character cannot wear a shield or another weapon while the gloves are activated. The item will be used in an epic level campaign, so it can be more powerful than the suggestions noted in the DMG for creating an artifact. I also want some negative qualities that can have serious consequences for a character using the gloves.

I could use some help with what positive and negative abilities the gloves should have. I do have some ideas myself, but I rather no influence all the creative ideas of you guys so I'll keep them to myself for now. I really appreciate any input you might have!

JNAProductions
2017-10-16, 03:00 PM
First off, love the fluff. Second off...

Gauntlets Of God
Artifact, requires attunement by someone who can Rage

The Gauntlets of God are... Okay, just look at Foxy's fluff.

Benefits while attuned are:
-Advantage on saves against fear.
-Resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid, Poison, and Lightning damage.
-Plus two Rages per day.
-Can extend your reach by 5' as a bonus action, lasting until the start of your next turn.
-If frightened, can go into Rage as a reaction.
-Your unarmed strikes do 1d10 damage.

Benefits while attuned and raging are:
-Immunity to fear
-Immunity to Fire, Cold, Acid, Poison, and Lightning damage.
-Double Rage damage bonus, and rage damage bonus can be of any element or basic weapon damage
-Reach is extended by 10'
-You can breathe underwater and gain a swim speed equal to your land speed.

Things that happen while attuned:
-Whenever you are frightened, you take 5d10 damage at the start of your turn and make a new save against the Frightened effect.

Penalties while attuned are:
-Must make a Wisdom save (DC 30-CR of the highest level creature you're facing) to run away from a fight. DM can possibly lower DC if, for instance, the highest CR monster is 2, but there are something like 10,000 of them.
-Each day you are attuned to the gloves, you must make a DC 10 Con save or become permanently attached to them, having them meld into your arms. This DC increases by 1 each day.
-To unattune, you must receive a Remove Curse or greater spell AND succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom save.

Penalties while raging are:
-You CANNOT retreat from a fight. You can tactically reposition, such as going for a narrow hallway when outnumbered, but you cannot flee a fight. In addition, you MUST chase down fleeing foes, assuming there are no foes actively fighting you while the others run.
-You must make a DC 21 Wisdom save to end your rage voluntarily if there are any enemies left standing.

Basic ideas.

Foxydono
2017-10-18, 07:11 AM
First off, love the fluff. Second off...

Gauntlets Of God
Artifact, requires attunement by someone who can Rage

The Gauntlets of God are... Okay, just look at Foxy's fluff.

Benefits while attuned are:
-Advantage on saves against fear.
-Resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid, Poison, and Lightning damage.
-Plus two Rages per day.
-Can extend your reach by 5' as a bonus action, lasting until the start of your next turn.
-If frightened, can go into Rage as a reaction.
-Your unarmed strikes do 1d10 damage.

Benefits while attuned and raging are:
-Immunity to fear
-Immunity to Fire, Cold, Acid, Poison, and Lightning damage.
-Double Rage damage bonus, and rage damage bonus can be of any element or basic weapon damage
-Reach is extended by 10'
-You can breathe underwater and gain a swim speed equal to your land speed.

Things that happen while attuned:
-Whenever you are frightened, you take 5d10 damage at the start of your turn and make a new save against the Frightened effect.

Penalties while attuned are:
-Must make a Wisdom save (DC 30-CR of the highest level creature you're facing) to run away from a fight. DM can possibly lower DC if, for instance, the highest CR monster is 2, but there are something like 10,000 of them.
-Each day you are attuned to the gloves, you must make a DC 10 Con save or become permanently attached to them, having them meld into your arms. This DC increases by 1 each day.
-To unattune, you must receive a Remove Curse or greater spell AND succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom save.

Penalties while raging are:
-You CANNOT retreat from a fight. You can tactically reposition, such as going for a narrow hallway when outnumbered, but you cannot flee a fight. In addition, you MUST chase down fleeing foes, assuming there are no foes actively fighting you while the others run.
-You must make a DC 21 Wisdom save to end your rage voluntarily if there are any enemies left standing.

Basic ideas.

Thank you, I'm really excited about the fluff as well! I like how you split the benefits for attunement and while raging. I do think the immunity against almost every element is a bit much though. The extra rage damage is a nice touch, but two extra rages doesn't mean much if you are full barbarian as you have unlimited rages. But most characters tend to multiclass, so for those it's quite an improvement. The immunity to fear while raging seems to fit the theme perfectly, but I am unsure about the penalty for if you fail a fear check. DC 30-CR of highest creature? Does that mean that when the character fights a Tarrasque he won't be afraid (30-30=0)? It seems a bit complicated and mostly up to the DM and many creatures do have their own fear aura and save DC.

The unattunement requirements seem fine and I like the penalties while raging. Not being able to retreat is a big penalty, especially if you make it harder to end your rage. I was thinking of maybe adding a 'berserk' mode while you are at 10% health. Like every hit is considered a crit, but you attack a random person within range. If there is noone in range you attack the nearest person you can target while moving (and if you can't hit anyone that round it stops). Almost like a curse, when you get consumed by the power. I also like the swimming and climbing speed, that will make the character more versatile, without adding too much power.

I'm thinking of replacing the immunity while raging to resistance and instead give the character the option to grapple and pin people down with their huge hands. You can grapple one person with one hand and pinning them with a second successful grapple check. But unlike the normal grapple rules, only your opponent is restrained! This way you can even grapple with giants, that is pretty awesome!

Thanks again for your ideas :)

JNAProductions
2017-10-18, 11:34 AM
The DC 30-CR Wisdom save is to flee from a fight. So, against a CR 1 monster, you have to make a really damn difficult save to flee.

But against the Tarrasque, it's much easier to flee.

Mith
2017-10-18, 06:04 PM
For the Wisdom save to run, how about 30 + 1/2 character level - CR of encounter. This way a stronger character is more likely to stick around, but may run from being hugely outnumbered/outmatched.