PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Open Minded, A feat for multiclassing

Westhart
2017-10-16, 11:08 AM
Open Minded
Benefits: You now may take feats and levels in prestige classes that require you to be of a different alignment then you are. This can still conflict with your alignment (such as a CG creature taking levels in blackguard) if you perform deeds of the opposing alignment etc and you can change alignment overtime. This makes it so a monk could be nonlawful, and so on. In addition you no longer accrue XP penalties for multiclassing, and can multiclass between classes that you normally can't (Paladin, Monk, etc). In addition for affects dependent on alignment you are considered whatever alignment is best, and you have immunity to effects that would still affect you no matter what you alignment is (Dark speech). In addition all of your attacks are aligned for overcoming DR (aligned as whatever is required to overcome it).

Not much to it honestly, relieves alignment restrictions and no XP penalty for multiclassing. My brother got in a game, and needed something like this so I whipped it up just now...

Aniikinis
2017-10-16, 11:19 AM
Very useful, although I can honestly say I've never had to deal with either of those since my groups usually don't bother with either.

Westhart
2017-10-16, 11:24 AM
Very useful, although I can honestly say I've never had to deal with either of those since my groups usually don't bother with either.

I'm in the same boat, mine have either removed them or relaxed them (EX requiring any non-chaotic for monk), or in the case of the paladin used variants (tyranny/slaughter/freedom).

McMurderface
2017-10-16, 11:29 AM
How would this effect a Cleric needing to fall within a certain alignment to appease their god? Sure the Cleric can always shift their alignment, but it they go beyond one step of their god's alignment, they lose Cleric powers. Would this mechanically prevent this from happening?

nonsi
2017-10-16, 11:39 AM
Make it a house rule. No justification in requiring a player to pay the feat tax for something that should be a given.

Westhart
2017-10-16, 12:08 PM
How would this effect a Cleric needing to fall within a certain alignment to appease their god? Sure the Cleric can always shift their alignment, but it they go beyond one step of their god's alignment, they lose Cleric powers. Would this mechanically prevent this from happening?
I would imagine something like Heretic of the Faith... Honestly i'd leave it up to the DM

Make it a house rule. No justification in requiring a player to pay the feat tax for something that should be a given.

Oh, I would but my brother is playing in someone else's game not mine, hence the feat.

rferries
2017-10-16, 07:46 PM
It's a cool feat, but hopefully a reasonable DM wouldn't require you to take it. Perhaps add an additional mechanic benefit i.e. you gain one or two alignment subtypes of your choice (so your weapons count as that alignment for overcoming DR, and you count as that alignment for the purpose of holy word, protection from chaos, etc.)? Or instead of a specific alignment, "for all effects related to alignment, you count as whatever alignment would be most beneficial to you at the time".

Westhart
2017-10-17, 07:16 AM
It's a cool feat, but hopefully a reasonable DM wouldn't require you to take it. Perhaps add an additional mechanic benefit i.e. you gain one or two alignment subtypes of your choice (so your weapons count as that alignment for overcoming DR, and you count as that alignment for the purpose of holy word, protection from chaos, etc.)? Or instead of a specific alignment, "for all effects related to alignment, you count as whatever alignment would be most beneficial to you at the time".
No, it's a feat tax so my brother can roleplay he character he wants... Not very cool at all.
Added the alignment part.