PDA

View Full Version : Life for a Life (Artifact Spell)

skeeter_dan
2007-08-15, 11:40 PM
Artifact Spells were introduced in Secrets of Xen'Drik (at least that's the first time I saw the concept) and I immediately wanted to create my own. Essentially, they're an overpowered spell engraved on a large, immovable object and cannot be transported or copied accurately enough to remove from the location. With a successful Spellcraft check, the appropriate spellcaster can learn the spell and cast it once within the next year.

Anywho, here's the Artifact Spell I spun up for an upcoming Xen'Drik campaign I'll be running. Feedback would be lovely.

Life for a Life
Conjuration (Healing) and Necromancy
Level: Divine 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Dead Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You restore life to a deceased creature by harnessing the life energy of a creature you sacrifice in the act of casting the spell. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than two days per caster level. In addition, the subject's soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject's soul is not willing to return, the spell fails to function.

The creature sacrificed must have Hit Dice equal to or greater than that of the target deceased creature. The sacrificed creature does not receive a saving throw beyond that allowed by the coup de grace action (Fort save DC 10 + damage dealt). Upon completion of the spell, the target creature is restored to life, with hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. All poisons, diseases (including magical diseases) and curses are cured. The subject of the spell loses one level (or one Hit Die) or 2 points of COnstitution if 1st level, which cannot be repaired by any means. Life for a Life has the normal restrictions on targets as Raise Dead.

Material Component: Living creature with HD equal to or greater than the subject of the spell.

Goober4473
2007-08-15, 11:50 PM
Cool, but it doesn't seem too powerful for an "Artifact spell." Raise Dead only 1 lower level, and you need a sacrifice.

On the other hand, you could just sacrifice like a dire bear and it wouldn't be all that difficult or evil. Have the druid charm it or something, set up an attack, bring it down to negative, cast the spell.

I guess I'm not sure. Cool idea though.

skeeter_dan
2007-08-15, 11:58 PM
I've considered making the level loss temporary to boost the Artifact-ness of the spell...

Deesix
2007-08-16, 12:28 AM
I'd make it last 24 hrs, allowing a save to remove it after that time, otherwise it becomes permanent. It would make the spell far more useful.

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 01:07 AM
Yeah, if you can only do it once per year, it had better be pretty sweet.

Icewalker
2007-08-16, 02:54 AM
So...it's a true resurrection and a permanent single level drain...all in one...super spell?

Knock it up a few notches, I'd say. One thing you could do (although quite mean) would be to shred the soul of the component person in the process, making them a soulless husk. Soulless husks are fun.

I don't know though, for that I'd suggest giving them more than a save, such as perhaps they have to be tied down for some form of ritual.

skeeter_dan
2007-08-16, 04:32 PM
I'd make it last 24 hrs, allowing a save to remove it after that time, otherwise it becomes permanent. It would make the spell far more useful.

Good call on the save after 24 hours. I'd considered having it last 24 hours, but that seemed silly. Having a save to get the level/Constitution back makes more sense.

For the record, the spell can be cast more than once in a year. It simply requires that you go back to the location of the artifact spell and re-learn it. If you don't cast it within a year, you simply lose the spell and have to re-learn it.

So...it's a true resurrection and a permanent single level drain...all in one...super spell?
It's a lot closer to Raise Dead than True Resurrection, I thought. It does have some added bonuses with the poison and curses cured and such. Is that too much? Is it not enough?

I don't know about the soulless husk thing. The sacrifice is just the sacrifice; the sacrificed creature is dead, period.