PDA

View Full Version : Please help me make a character

zulagar
2017-10-16, 12:26 PM
Hi guys!
Sorry if I placed this post to the wrong thread this is my first time posting here.
So basicaly me and my friends had the idea to make a webcomic about our lives in a fantasy setting. we would write it together and some of us are drawing it. The problem is that I've never in my life knew what I wanted to play or what my class is in games. This is where you could come in help people of this amazing site! I thought if I could write some stuff about me and what I preffered in videogames maybe you could set me on the right path.

I work as an EMT and always enjoyed the more supportive classes. I have a kinda twisted sense of humour(so much that my friends keep telling me to play a necromancer or warlock).I have no problem with the more primal or nature based classes...neither with the darker or more sinister ones but I would realy not be something religion based.

I usualy pick classes or characters that has: AoE; Crowd-control; Healing and a bit more on the offensive side.(I hate the stereotypical healers who sits back and casts healing); I also generaly enjoyed DoT and pet classes.

I generaly like characters with ice and frost; potions and poisons; evil and sneaky spells; pets and/or servants are welcomed too.

So I guess you can see the problem here. The comic would be about our life and I don't know how I could work as someone in a medical profession with the specifics mentioned above. Could you give some ideas? Maybe classes to look up or a more creative approach would be welcomed too( I'm realy not one to come up with a system of how these could work.)
I tried to make this short but if you need any more information please just ask.

Thank You in advance!

JNAProductions
2017-10-16, 12:56 PM
Well, this might be best in the roleplaying section.

If it's about a specific game, then go to the appropriate subforum.

Edit: Also, neat!

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-16, 03:32 PM
Alchemist? Druid? Possibly with an dark humory race, like tiefling or kobold or something? A magic user with a knack for mechanical traps might be able to play some cool pranks...

A warlock who just happens to like healing, be it as spells, potions, the healing skill and/or some sort of racial abilities?

ve4grm
2017-10-17, 11:09 AM
Alchemist? Druid? Possibly with an dark humory race, like tiefling or kobold or something? A magic user with a knack for mechanical traps might be able to play some cool pranks...

A warlock who just happens to like healing, be it as spells, potions, the healing skill and/or some sort of racial abilities?

You have a few good options here.

Druid. Elemental casting, animal pets, a little bit of healing, herbalism for poisons/potions. You're missing the evil/sneaky spells, but can have sneaky companions.

Second option, Necromancer. Lots of skeleton pets, ice/frost is often associated with death spells, cold of the grave and such. Evil and sneaky magic, plus poisons for sure. You can maybe do a bit of potions here, too, but will definitely be lacking in the healing department, unless you justify healing as just minor applications of necromancy. (I mean, seriously, what is a bone graft besides a necromantic implant? Are "Raise Dead" and "Create Undead" really that different?)

Warlock won't have as much AoE/control, probably? And no healing there. Could probably have a pet imp, or a demon dog, or something.

zulagar
2017-10-17, 02:46 PM
Thanks for everyone so far. You guys realy helped me see other options and they all sound amazing.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-17, 02:49 PM
First of all, I'm jealous. This sounds like a blast.

Second, it sounds like Necromancer would be a perfect fit. Depending on your version, there may be several "evil" buffs you can put on your allies, and they're plenty sneaky and poison-y.

Also, necromancy is often just the most last-ditch form of medicine.

In4Dimensions
2017-10-31, 10:11 AM
I vote for Drow Warlock, Hell pact of the Chain with an imp familiar.

Durkoala
2017-11-10, 07:21 AM
Sorry, I think this is a bot, everybody.

ED: maybe not, as it IS about a webcomic, rather than an RPG character like I thought.

Duskanor
2017-12-08, 03:52 PM
If you like AoE Wizard or Druid would be great & Druid has access to some healing + its also cool that their spell-casting isn't' effected by armor like the Wizard or Sorcerer. If you like crowd control Barbarian or Fighter is the obvious choice. My friend runs a Dwarf with extremely slow movement but it doesn't matter because everything comes to him.

Personally I like the Druid & I am using an Elf Druid. They have access to decent healing like I already said, they have pretty good offensive magic & they get bad-ass animal companions (I have a Giant Owl). :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile: I hope this helped!

Greenflame133
2018-01-08, 07:48 AM
If you think about free form role-playing (or games that have rules allowing for nearly anything like simple D20) then there options are limitless. Few archetypes I would consider are.

Spector - magic user that damages the soul rather than body, then he weavers the soul energy in the air to heal/buff aliens. If you want pet a spirt guide/animal works.

Enchanter - rather the fighting himself enchanter creates environmental effects. This can be anything from setting the ground on fire to crating a flute that buffs alleys and detract enemies. Enchanter healing is rather scars but some regeneration effects to exist. You can always include a familiar.

Teinter - you corrupt enemies and evarumant ant to help you fight. You can buff alleys by twisting their anatomy making them into monsters. Unless you want some abortion I don't recommend a pet.

Now if you want some in any pretrial games here are few I had expirance with. Keep in mind this archetypes are still possible in free frim. Just more stock.

Any d&d:
Spell casters such as wizard and sourcer usually work. There is a lot of AoE magic and control effects. You also get familiar. Only set back it little to no healing but there are options such as domain granted power (3.5e wizard), infernal healing (Pathfinder wizard /sorcerer)

Paladin, while there is only a little magic you can take feats such as cleve to get some more AoE potential. You do get a lot of perks, they work differently in different versions but 2 that usually are present are lay of hands (some heal) and mount.

Now for version specific, 3.5e:

Dragon fire adept get AoE breath weapon that can deal damage or apply debuffs. Further more you get some investigation that can be different at will effect moust of them are buff or sensory but some offense as will (in case breathing fire isn't enough to). Sadly no pets and healing.

Marshall gets to buffing aura and x/day effects. Either making his alleys move twice or if you take adrenaline rush giving them temporary hit points (demage absorbing effects). Marshalls are also usually skilled with weapons. Sadly no pets and healing.

Dragon shaman - you get auras like Marshal and limited breath weapon that can only damage.

Pathfinder.

Cavalier gets banner busting morales, change that make enemy more valuable to you (and if you select right order your enemies as well) mout and for team works Feats are more useful. Sadly no healing.

Druid, unless you are going cavalier go druid either normal or via variant multi ckassing. Animal companions are handled absolutely greatly is PF.

LeMooseImperium
2018-01-09, 11:26 PM
If you are playing 5e or doing a 5e based webcomic, I'd suggest playing a Divine Soul sorcerer from Xanathar's Guide. You don't have to establish anything about religion and just take cure wounds in addition to your other sorcerer spells.

Sig
2018-01-21, 07:02 AM
You know, if this is just a general fantasy-themed setting and not necessarily based off any system, game or otherwise, in particular, why not abandon all this agonizing about classes and simply lay out what your character/characters can do. If you want a character to do healing magic, have poisons and have a minion, just put that in the story. No need to go into the details of a Healer/Assassin/Hexblade multiclass or whatever combination you need to facilitate your desired character abilities. It would probably be a good idea to construct some loose rules for whatever kind of magic or supernatural abilities the characters use, but for pure storytelling purposes that's about all you really need.

Roleplaying game concepts like classes are rarely referred to in-universe in games anyway, and outside of a game situation they can hinder storytelling if you are compelling yourself to stick closely to the rules, and if you're not compelling yourself to stick closely to the rules, there's not much point in having them anyway, unless you want to do jokes about game mechanics like the Order of the Stick and many other comics of its ilk do, but it doesn't sound to me like that's what you're going for.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-21, 11:06 AM
You know, if this is just a general fantasy-themed setting and not necessarily based off any system, game or otherwise, in particular, why not abandon all this agonizing about classes and simply lay out what your character/characters can do. If you want a character to do healing magic, have poisons and have a minion, just put that in the story. No need to go into the details of a Healer/Assassin/Hexblade multiclass or whatever combination you need to facilitate your desired character abilities. It would probably be a good idea to construct some loose rules for whatever kind of magic or supernatural abilities the characters use, but for pure storytelling purposes that's about all you really need.

Roleplaying game concepts like classes are rarely referred to in-universe in games anyway, and outside of a game situation they can hinder storytelling if you are compelling yourself to stick closely to the rules, and if you're not compelling yourself to stick closely to the rules, there's not much point in having them anyway, unless you want to do jokes about game mechanics like the Order of the Stick and many other comics of its ilk do, but it doesn't sound to me like that's what you're going for.I will second this. While I find the challenge of modelling a specific character concept within the constraint of a progression-based tabletop RPG system to be interesting at times, D&D isn't the only tabletop RPG system out there. You could look to Big Eyes, Small Mouth (https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12712.phtml), or Jaws of the Six Serpents (https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15381.phtml) or other games where you just have a concept and make your character and then you just play that character. The mechanics are more modeled to support the story you want to tell, though certain systems may be better at telling the stories found in certain settings. While you can get inspiration/direction from working within the rules, I would be hard pressed to think of a tabletop game which would have supported Jack the Plaid from Zebra Girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebComic/ZebraGirl). At the end of the day, creativity wins.