PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Baboon Companion/Familiar

Thurbane
2017-10-16, 03:39 PM
I posted this is the RAW thread:

Q 261

Besides Aerenal Beastmaster, is there any RAW method to get a baboon as animal companion, familiar, or wild cohort?

Q 261b

If the answer to this is "no": is there any way for a human to qualify for the Aerenal Beastmaster feat?

Can anyone think of a workaround for these?

If not, how would I build an Aerenal Elf Arcane Heirophant focused on having a powerful Baboon Companion/Familiar?

Cheers - T

If it helps, rolls for abilities are: 9, 11, 14, 16, 17 & 17.

Mr Adventurer
2017-10-17, 07:01 AM
Does Ruathar allow you to qualify for Elf stuff like Stoneblessed does for Dwarves?

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-17, 08:01 AM
Does Ruathar allow you to qualify for Elf stuff like Stoneblessed does for Dwarves?

No, unfortunatly. You can take a generic ape as a companion as a -3 level animal companion. Baboons are apes. The ape stat block could represent a large and deadly baboon.

Blue Jay
2017-10-17, 08:20 AM
No, unfortunatly. You can take a generic ape as a companion as a -3 level animal companion. Baboons are apes. The ape stat block could represent a large and deadly baboon.

Technically, baboons are monkeys, but that doesn't invalidate your idea from a mechanical standpoint. :smalltongue:

daremetoidareyo
2017-10-17, 08:27 AM
Technically, baboons are monkeys, but that doesn't invalidate your idea from a mechanical standpoint. :smalltongue:

Except that you can't optimize tail attacks on an ape but you can on a monkey.

Thurbane
2017-10-17, 04:29 PM
Good suggestions, but I really want a Babboon. :smalltongue:

At the moment, I'm thinking Aerenal Elf Druid 5/Sorcerer 1/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theurge 4

Aereni Focus (UMD) as 1st feat (so Baboon can use UMD ranks); Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell for 2nd level arcane spells, Aerenal Beastmaster, and towards the end of the build, Natural Bond to make up for MT levels. I'd rather Sorcerer than Wizard, so I can pump up Cha.

I'm hoping flaws will be allowed, so I can load up on feats at 1st level.

Ultimately I want the Baboon (Jack) to take ranks in Disguise and Bluff, and try to pass himself off as a Human. Maybe Pearl of Speech and Hat of Disguise, too. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.futilitycloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2014-05-19-podcast-episode-10.jpg

Tellath Mendyrian: Male Arenel Elf Druid 2/Sorcerer 1/Druid +3/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theurge 4
Str 9 Dex 11 (+2 racial) (+1 levels) Con 16 (-2 racial) Int 14 Wis 17 (+3 levels) Cha 17 (+1 levels)

Feats:
Flaw (Shaky) Aerenal Beastmaster
Flaw (Vulnerable) Heighten Spell
1 Aereni Focus (Use Magic Device)
3 Versatile Spellcaster
6 Natural Spell
9 ???
12 ???
15 ???
18 Natural Bond

Mr Adventurer
2017-10-18, 03:32 AM
As a familiar, it can use your skill ranks anyway, can't it?

Edit: take Obtain Familiar feat so its abilities are based on arcane caster level, not Sorc/Hierophant levs

Nifft
2017-10-18, 12:06 PM
How do you feel about a Familiar who merely looks like a baboon?

For example, a Quasit or Imp which had a baboon alternate form.

Or a wyrmling Dragon (probably silver or gold) which could use alternate form to take the shape of any animal or humanoid.

Thurbane
2017-10-18, 04:36 PM
As a familiar, it can use your skill ranks anyway, can't it?

Edit: take Obtain Familiar feat so its abilities are based on arcane caster level, not Sorc/Hierophant levs

Interesting points. Yes, it can use my skill ranks, but I don't want to blow skill points on Bluff/Disguise for myself.

How do you feel about a Familiar who merely looks like a baboon?

For example, a Quasit or Imp which had a baboon alternate form.

Or a wyrmling Dragon (probably silver or gold) which could use alternate form to take the shape of any animal or humanoid.

No, specifically looking for something medium sized, and humanoid shaped, and baboon fits perfectly.

Mr Adventurer
2017-10-18, 06:27 PM
I meant about Aerini Focus and UMD, though I'm not familiar with the feat

Thurbane
2017-10-18, 06:45 PM
I meant about Aerini Focus and UMD, though I'm not familiar with the feat

Ah, I see. It gives UMD as a permanent class skill, and a +3 bonus to rolls. Very nice for a character with decent Cha. Although with access to the Druid and Sor/Wiz spell lists, may not really be worth it. Still, wands or scrolls of Cleric or Bard spells may be useful at some point.

daremetoidareyo
2017-10-18, 06:46 PM
If you spend skill points on speak language, does the baboon get to use them?

Nifft
2017-10-18, 08:11 PM
No, specifically looking for something medium sized, and humanoid shaped, and baboon fits perfectly.

https://i.imgur.com/IiMtU0O.jpg

Wyrmling: "I could be your baboon."

Thrubane: "No I'm looking for a mammal with four limbs, please just go."

Wyrmling: "I have the Alternate Form abi--"

Thrubane: "Look it's not going to work. My last cohort was a kobold and I just can't, I just--"

Wyrmling: "I'm so sorry. I'll go."

Thurbane: "It's for the best."

Wyrmling: "I'm so sorry."

Thurbane: "Goodbye."