PDA

View Full Version : awaked animals

talse
2007-08-16, 12:04 AM
can awakened animals gain characters levels? cause in the game i'm playing my DM has introduced us to an awakened direwolf that i just helped liberate it's pack. I thought it'd make a good animal companion (as i am a druid).

RTGoodman
2007-08-16, 12:23 AM
Awaken

An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal). An awakened animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

Well, according to the rules of the spell, it can't serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount. However, I've known some DMs that allowed it (though they treated the effective druid level as -4 or -8 and it didn't gain any special abilities).

As far as gaining class levels, that's perfectly fine, I would think. Anything with a non-animal intelligence (that is, an Intelligence of 3 or higher) can take class levels.

One option you might consider could be to wait until you can get the Leadership feat, and get the awakened animal as your cohort.

Bassetking
2007-08-16, 12:27 AM
I'm entirely uncertain as to the RAW regarding this. However, I would rule in a game I was running, that they would be able to.

This in no way, shape, or form has anything to do with an Awakened Owlbear Beast Heart Adept with Owlbear Monsterous companions, Leadership(Awakened Owlbear Cohort)...

Oh gods, the shame of my Hooting Horde...The shame of six Owlbears roaming the countryside.... HOOTING...

talse
2007-08-16, 12:53 AM
I have to figure out how to convince that dire wolf to hang out with me for another 2 levels then... my halfling needs something to ride later...

Fax Celestis
2007-08-16, 12:56 AM
Any creature with Intelligence higher than 3 can gain class levels,