PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Give me your favorite cliche plots so I can borrow (steal) them!

Kobold Esq
2017-10-16, 08:20 PM
So I'm DMing my first game in a decade, with a party of mostly new players (new to DnD, new to pnp RPGs, new to everything). I'm most comfortable and familiar with 3.5, so that is the setting we are using. Also I'm starting off with Sunless Citadel, just because it saves me from having to do a bunch of early thinking and design (despite the fact I'm not usually a big "dungeon crawl" fan).

Anyways, they are level 2, part way through the citadel. I'm starting to brainstorm what they should be doing next. Since the party is mostly newbies, I'm really thinking I should just bust out all the old tropes because they won't be completely tired and worn out with this crew. That being said, I still want them to be more creative than WoW style fetch quests, but I do NOT need them to be super convoluted for the purpose of tricking and surprising expert players.

So what have been your favorite "classic" quest/adventure hooks (as either a player or DM)?

JNAProductions
2017-10-16, 08:38 PM
Evil dragon kidnaps princess.

Evil princess kidnaps dragon.

Orc raid.

Goblin raid.

bahamut920
2017-10-16, 08:54 PM
Evil kid naps dragon princess.

flappeercraft
2017-10-16, 08:58 PM
Random commoner becomes a greater deity somehow and is learning to control his powers slowly

Zancloufer
2017-10-16, 09:56 PM
Murder Mystery where the Butler/Maid did it? Bonus points for them being justified in the "murder".

Amphetryon
2017-10-16, 10:04 PM
The Vizier involves the PCs in his convoluted plot to seize the crown.

Pope Scarface
2017-10-16, 11:08 PM
The wizard did it.

flappeercraft
2017-10-16, 11:35 PM
The wizard did it.

To improve upon that, "The party wizard did it while drunk"