PDA

View Full Version : Measuring distance on hex-grid map

SiCK_Boy
2017-10-16, 09:18 PM
I have a question regarding measuring distances on a hex-grid map, such as the regional map found in the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure (from the Starter Set; that map has a scale of 1 hex = 5 miles).

When the scale states "1 hex = 5 miles", which part of the hex measures 5 miles?

1 - Is it the sides of the hex that are 5 miles long?

2 - Is it the distance between two parallel sides of an hex?

3 - Is it the distance between two opposed pointy corners of the hex (opposed as in going across the hex passing through the center)?

4 - Is it some other measureable aspect of the hex that I am missing?

Obviously, when measuring "squares", there is no such question since all sides measure the same, but I'm not as clear on using an hex (although from my various google search, I get a feeling it's probably answer 2 from my list above).

Joe the Rat
2017-10-16, 09:46 PM
You measure from edge to edge. Technically you should go center of hex to center of an adjacent hex, but it's the same. You always use the sides, not the corners.

If you're curious, corner to opposite corner of a hex is about 7/6 the side to side distance.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-16, 09:51 PM
This is actually something that will be covered in Xanathars. Can you wait a month?

SiCK_Boy
2017-10-16, 10:48 PM
Technically you should go center of hex to center of an adjacent hex

Thanks for this. This is the explanation I was looking for.

Officer Joy
2017-10-17, 12:26 AM
Obviously, when measuring "squares", there is no such question since all sides measure the same

Exect corner to corner, diagonally.

NecessaryWeevil
2017-10-17, 12:34 PM
Exect corner to corner, diagonally.

A diagonal is not a side. It's a diagonal.