PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sanity Saving Throw versus Charisma and Wisdom

LlamaGuru
2017-10-17, 01:36 AM
Hey everyone,
So I'm looking to do a horror/lovecraftian campaign for my next one and I really like the idea of the sanity score and using it, but I have a bit of a question regarding the saving throws. In your opinion, where are the lines between a charisma saving throw and a sanity saving throw, and a sanity and wisdom throw? The DMG does a bit to explain this but not enough in my opinion. For example resisting possession is a charisma throw, and stumbling on the corpse of a child is probably a sanity throw, but what about being confronted by an eldritch entity and talking to it, especially if its using telepathy and stuff?

Avigor
2017-10-20, 11:09 AM
Hey everyone,
So I'm looking to do a horror/lovecraftian campaign for my next one and I really like the idea of the sanity score and using it, but I have a bit of a question regarding the saving throws. In your opinion, where are the lines between a charisma saving throw and a sanity saving throw, and a sanity and wisdom throw? The DMG does a bit to explain this but not enough in my opinion. For example resisting possession is a charisma throw, and stumbling on the corpse of a child is probably a sanity throw, but what about being confronted by an eldritch entity and talking to it, especially if its using telepathy and stuff?

I'd say there would be a sanity throw just for talking to it, and if it was trying to do something to the character such as possess or influence him (especially beyond mere persuasion or invoking insanity), use the appropriate saving throw for that as well.

Puh Laden
2017-10-20, 11:59 AM
As far as I can tell, Wisdom saving throws for stuff like charm person are about self-awareness -- you realize the thoughts and emotions coming into your mind aren't your own and your awareness of that snaps you out of it. Charisma for avoiding possession is about preventing another entity from taking control over you. So Wisdom would be keeping yourself from being influenced, and Charisma from being replaced or shut out. Sanity is probably about your world-view.