PDA

View Full Version : Amaret: My Homebrew World

Vaynor
2007-08-16, 01:18 AM
Here's (http://amaret.proboards47.com/index.cgi) a link to my homebrew world, Amaret. Please give me feedback on all parts of it.

Also, if you have any ideas you think would be good please put them down in the "Additions" forum or here.

EDIT: Also, it's not quite done yet.

brian c
2007-08-16, 11:19 AM
Well, I'll make a few comments on your races since that's what I was drawn to first.

For Dwarves, when it says "and +2 on all healing spells and effects", does that mean that any healing spell they cast heals 2 more hp? Including their racial SLA cure minor?

For Vand... " +2 on intimidate checks: Vand are naturally intimidating"
Cmon, gimme a better reason than that.

Halflings: for normal halflings, what's the CL on the mount SLA?
For city halflings, those things would be the most ridiculous wizards ever. I've noticed that you replaced the spellcasting classes, but they'll be really really good Venaar. +2 Int and an extra +1 to all spell DCs?

Aside from specifics about each race, I also noticed that you've put restrictions for which races can be which class. I guess it's a popular idea, it used to be in D&D and it's in lots of other games, but I just don't like it. Maybe restrict some race/class combinations, but to have such strict limits is bothersome for a player.

Vaynor
2007-08-16, 01:02 PM
Well, I'll make a few comments on your races since that's what I was drawn to first.

For Dwarves, when it says "and +2 on all healing spells and effects", does that mean that any healing spell they cast heals 2 more hp? Including their racial SLA cure minor?

For Vand... " +2 on intimidate checks: Vand are naturally intimidating"
Cmon, gimme a better reason than that.

Halflings: for normal halflings, what's the CL on the mount SLA?
For city halflings, those things would be the most ridiculous wizards ever. I've noticed that you replaced the spellcasting classes, but they'll be really really good Venaar. +2 Int and an extra +1 to all spell DCs?

Aside from specifics about each race, I also noticed that you've put restrictions for which races can be which class. I guess it's a popular idea, it used to be in D&D and it's in lots of other games, but I just don't like it. Maybe restrict some race/class combinations, but to have such strict limits is bothersome for a player.

I'll make sure to go over the races, I did them first and they're not as fine tuned.

And about the Vand thing, I haven't done much fluff yet and these are mostly just the basic ideas. I'll be sure to go in and add some more.

I replaced all classes, not just the spellcasting ones. except warriors, which you cant really change too much.

The restrictions were placed there because of the very specific regions. For example, in Frohaf, all of the Vand are natural born Toven. All of them. Thus, they are limited to that class. The Kromm cannot become any of the other classes because it is not taught where they live, they are very brutish and have many warriors, and each tribe is generally ruled by a powerful shaman. They fear nature, but respect it.

The nomadic halflings would not be Venaar as they think little of learning, and have no time or resources to learn the magic.

Shifter is limited to Elves because only they possess the secret to unlocking it's magic.

I could go on but I think I got my point across. In Amaret, the regions are very diverse. You wouldn't find a Kromm anywhere near the elven forests, except maybe with a Vand on it's way to Tanhj.

Vaynor
2007-08-22, 07:16 AM
Bump, any comments would really be great.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 05:10 AM
Best way to get feedback for this sort of thing, in my opinion, is to post small sections here and ask specific questions to incite commentry.