PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magical Weapon Ideas

lmendes
2017-10-17, 08:34 AM
Hi guys,

My first post here. I'm running my first D&D game. I'm planning to give my players down the road some magical items. I'm using as inspiration Critical Role vestiges of divergence. So far I created 3 weapons:

Desperado (Musket - Attunement):

+1 to Atk and Damage. Misfire 1, charge 4, reload. 2d12 piercing damage
Awakened State:

+2 Atk and damage. + 1d4 radiant.
Bending Bullets: Sharpshooter is -2 not -5, can hit totally covered as well.

Exalted State:

Life Shot: 2 handed. Dmg: d12xN radiant, where N is the number of d12 the user wants to use. The user loses N times 5 of hit points.

Fenrir (Long Bow - Needs Attunement):

+1 to attack and damage bonus. 1d8 piercing. Bad Omen: The player can choose instead of dealing damage invoke this ability. Until the end of player’s next turn, all attacks against the chosen creature will gain advantage.
Awakened State:

+2 to Atk and damage bonus. Additional 1d4 lightning damage.
Ice Cage: The player can activate this 3 times per long rest. Target suffers an additional of 3d6 ice damage. Target needs to make a DC 15 strength saving throw. On failure, the creature becomes restrained. At the end of its next turn, the creature can re-roll to try to get free. On failure, takes 1d6 necrotic damage.

Exalted State:

Ragnarok: The user can cast True Polymorph in one willingly creature transforming it in a Dire Wolf. The dire wolf acts on its own turn. Can’t be used until next short/long rest.

Dire Wolf Special Attack: Odin’s Fall (Recharge 5-6). Hit +12, 5d10 lightning.

Star Forger (Great Hammer - Needs Attunement):

User’s Strength increases to 22. Damage to objects and constructions is doubled. 2d12 bludgeoning.
Awakened State:

Strength increases to 24. Additional 1d4 fire damage.
Pillars of Creation: Choose one creature in 30 ft radius. The creature needs to make DC 15 Dex Save. On failure, 3d10 fire damage and thrusted 30ft up. Half damage on success.

Exalted State:

Supernova Explosion: 30ft radius damage. Dex Save DC 15. On failure 4d12 Fire Damage, half on success. Can’t be used until next short/long rest.

Any feedback would be great!

JNAProductions
2017-10-17, 10:22 AM
Desperado is ridiculous. 2d12 damage is insane as it is, but the Awakened is ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

For reference, at level 11, a Fighter would normally be doing 3d8+15 at +11, or 3d8+45 at +6. With Awakened Desperado, they deal 6d12+3d4+21 at +13, or 6d12+3d4+51 at +11. Assuming they hit on 8s normally, your expected DPR changes from:

SS off: 18.525
SS on: 23.4

to...

SS off: 50.625
SS on: 63.375

That is completely insane. (Not to mention being able to hit totally covered targets. You can attack with complete impunity, if you know where they are.)

Exalted is whatever. Powerful, especially if you know you're about to rest, but it costs you HP.

Fenrir is pretty ridiculous as well even before awakened. Bad Omen your first hit, the rest have advantage, and so does everyone else's attacks. On your next turn, spend one Bad Omen on your first shot (with advantage) and you can keep it going ad nauseum.

Awakened is nothing special, as is Exalted.

Star Forger seems okay, excepting the ridiculous base damage.

lmendes
2017-10-17, 01:55 PM
Desperado is ridiculous. 2d12 damage is insane as it is, but the Awakened is ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

For reference, at level 11, a Fighter would normally be doing 3d8+15 at +11, or 3d8+45 at +6. With Awakened Desperado, they deal 6d12+3d4+21 at +13, or 6d12+3d4+51 at +11. Assuming they hit on 8s normally, your expected DPR changes from:

SS off: 18.525
SS on: 23.4

to...

SS off: 50.625
SS on: 63.375

That is completely insane. (Not to mention being able to hit totally covered targets. You can attack with complete impunity, if you know where they are.)

Exalted is whatever. Powerful, especially if you know you're about to rest, but it costs you HP.

Fenrir is pretty ridiculous as well even before awakened. Bad Omen your first hit, the rest have advantage, and so does everyone else's attacks. On your next turn, spend one Bad Omen on your first shot (with advantage) and you can keep it going ad nauseum.

Awakened is nothing special, as is Exalted.

Star Forger seems okay, excepting the ridiculous base damage.

Thanks for replying! I'm thinking about these changes:

Fenrir:

Bad Omen goes up to the awakened state of Fenrir. Make advantage go to the beginning of the chosen creature next turn. (I don't know if I downgraded it a lot)
For Ice Cage, I don't know if it was clear enough: the target needs to keep rolling for the save until it is free. More than that, as it is literally an ice cage, I think it's better the condition paralyzed than restrained.
For Ragnarok, specify that the True Polymorph will last for 10 minutes only (instead of the full one hour originally)

Desperado

Changed the normal damage to 1d12.
Bending bullets now expends one grit point. No changes in the sharpshooter feat. Only the no penalty policy for covered targets.

Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

JNAProductions
2017-10-17, 03:53 PM
Bad Omen is still ridiculously good. It might not do quite as much for you personally, but it's a HUGE help for everyone else in your party.

Desperado is still insanely overpowered. Dropping the base damage die helps, but not NEARLY enough.