PDA

View Full Version : D&D in other sizes than 25/28/30 mm

ZorroGames
2017-10-17, 05:32 PM
Changing almost all my wargames and RPG armies/collection to 15/18mm wondering if any one else has that interest.

Much of my mass battles armies are 6mm or 3mm but 15/18mm seems best of those for RPGs as I downsize.

If you use figures below 20mm for RPGs what are your experiences?

Laserlight
2017-10-17, 08:29 PM
Changing almost all my wargames and RPG armies/collection to 15/18mm wondering if any one else has that interest.

Much of my mass battles armies are 6mm or 3mm but 15/18mm seems best of those for RPGs as I downsize.

If you use figures below 20mm for RPGs what are your experiences?

I have 25/28mm for RPGs, 15mm for skirmish, 6mm for tanks, 1:1200 for Napoleonic ships, and am considering 2mm for Renaissance/30YW armies. And I probably have some 20mm Victorian North West Frontier stuff in the back of a closet.

ZorroGames
2017-10-17, 08:40 PM
I have 25/28mm for RPGs, 15mm for skirmish, 6mm for tanks, 1:1200 for Napoleonic ships, and am considering 2mm for Renaissance/30YW armies. And I probably have some 20mm Victorian North West Frontier stuff in the back of a closet.

The sizes of figures you have pretty much match what I have reduced stuff to, except the Der Kriepspieler and Ral Partha Dwarf and Goblin armies and my 3mm aerial figures. Really need to dispose at least 50% of those larger figures and reduce same sized VSF (Tarzan and opponents) for IHMN games to 15/18mm. Will probably keep some Dwarf RPG figures and about half a dozen humans but there is mot space in an apartment (3 beds) after we sell this five bedroom house plus large basement.

So, no one has 15/18mm FRPG sets other myself on this forum? Okay, I understand, tradition, just wondering if anyone else was pioneering a scale/size change.

Christian
2017-10-17, 11:19 PM
I used to have a collection of 15/18 mm figures, but I'm not sure what happened to them ...

It can be hard to find commercial gridded battlemats for other scales than 25/28 mm. Most hobbyists who use figures at smaller scales use them for skirmishing on play surfaces without grids, where they measure distances for movement & attacks etc. manually. I used to use those figures for GURPS games, as I had a battlemat with (IIRC) 10 or 11 mm hexes that I found somewhere, which worked OK as 3 foot GURPS hexes for figures at that scale. (I don't know where that mat is any longer either. Probably the same place as the minis.)

D&D 5E actually would work pretty well gridless but with a battle map; those smaller scales would help prevent combat sprawl on your tabletop, which I've had issues with since 3rd Edition. It seems to me a lot of combat areas in published adventures are unrealistically small, probably because a more plausible size would end up taking up 6 feet by 8 feet at 1 inch = 5 feet scale. The downside is that, if you do want to use a grid, you'll likely need to make it yourself.

ZorroGames
2017-10-18, 06:23 AM
I used to have a collection of 15/18 mm figures, but I'm not sure what happened to them ...

It can be hard to find commercial gridded battlemats for other scales than 25/28 mm. Most hobbyists who use figures at smaller scales use them for skirmishing on play surfaces without grids, where they measure distances for movement & attacks etc. manually. I used to use those figures for GURPS games, as I had a battlemat with (IIRC) 10 or 11 mm hexes that I found somewhere, which worked OK as 3 foot GURPS hexes for figures at that scale. (I don't know where that mat is any longer either. Probably the same place as the minis.)

D&D 5E actually would work pretty well gridless but with a battle map; those smaller scales would help prevent combat sprawl on your tabletop, which I've had issues with since 3rd Edition. It seems to me a lot of combat areas in published adventures are unrealistically small, probably because a more plausible size would end up taking up 6 feet by 8 feet at 1 inch = 5 feet scale. The downside is that, if you do want to use a grid, you'll likely need to make it yourself.

There are products you can create maps at that size hex/square or you can shrink PDF commercial products for larger hexes.

I base my 15mm fugures on 15mm or 20mm squares, circles (most common,) hexagons, or octagons (class based) and race.

Halflings orbgnomes on smaller size, medium sizes figures on 20mm and larger creatures on 25mm unless integral bases require 30mm+ basing.

Since I use Litko basing my 6mm halflings are on .8mm thin 15mm circles. :smalleek:

Random searches showed hex/square products with potential:

http://www.yeoldemapmaker.com

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/24994/CF-Quickmaps?it=1&filters=0_40209_0_0

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

https://www.printablepaper.net/category/hexagon_graph

http://www.papersnake.com/graph_paper/hexpaper/

Plus Amazon and Pinterest are sources of paper with different sized hexes/squares.

ZorroGames
2017-10-18, 06:30 AM
And, yes, I do run 6mm skirmish games for SF and Fantasy. Most historical 6mm gaming is mass battle.

I use 15/18mm for most everything but large 6mm SF battles (Battalion (-) games,) 6mm Fantasy mass battles, and aerial (3mm.)

About the only thing I use 25mm+ figures for anymore on a semi-regular basis are :smallcool: Soldado de Cuera era skirmishes, my friends with their (Zzzzzz) Warlord armies/rules, and, of course, D&D. :smallsmile:

Knaight
2017-10-19, 04:04 AM
Plus Amazon and Pinterest are sources of paper with different sized hexes/squares.

If you're going to be printing it anyways just use Incompetech (https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/). Then you can have whatever arbitrarily sized hexes and squares you want, without looking through premade stuff.

ZorroGames
2017-10-19, 10:06 AM
If you're going to be printing it anyways just use Incompetech (https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/). Then you can have whatever arbitrarily sized hexes and squares you want, without looking through premade stuff.

Will give it a shot. Gracias!

ZorroGames
2017-10-19, 10:12 AM

Well, if you use a 1”/25mm square/hex/circle grid then 15/20/25mm basing would fit. And for 15mm figures you could keep the 1 square/hex = 5’ aspect since figure scale and ground scale never equal each other in 99% of the war games/RPG games I have played since 1959/1974 respectively anyway.

LordEntrails
2017-10-19, 12:01 PM
.... those smaller scales would help prevent combat sprawl on your tabletop, which I've had issues with since 3rd Edition. It seems to me a lot of combat areas in published adventures are unrealistically small, probably because a more plausible size would end up taking up 6 feet by 8 feet at 1 inch = 5 feet scale.
This is why I went digital. You don't get the tactile feel, but combat sprawl and storage are no longer issues for me. If you are willing to consider giving up the physical, it can be a big money saver as well.

ZorroGames
2017-10-19, 05:16 PM
This is why I went digital. You don't get the tactile feel, but combat sprawl and storage are no longer issues for me. If you are willing to consider giving up the physical, it can be a big money saver as well.

Mac compatible? No microsoft in house anymore...

Seriously, I have some great sources in Khurasan Miniatures, Splintered Light Miniatures, Rebel Minis, for 15/18mm FRPG figures plus I have seen lots of 2017 progress in 6mm Fantasy so storage is much less than before. Many of my 15/18mm armies personality/leader figures do double duty for 15mm FRPGs.

Moving to Dwarf only (okay gnomes for the wife and a handful of Humans too) for FRPGs in larger size. Long as I do not DM in larger figures I should be fine.

Painting on the screen never worked for me. :smallwink: I use a medically retired friend to paint many of the figures. Not charity, just more figures painted annually.

Asmotherion
2017-10-19, 06:15 PM
well, the rare cases I use anything comparable to figures once in a wile during encounters, were we use a chessboard and chess piecess, so I can't really give any valuable information.

ZorroGames
2017-10-20, 08:05 AM
well, the rare cases I use anything comparable to figures once in a wile during encounters, were we use a chessboard and chess piecess, so I can't really give any valuable information.

Interesting image. Does each type of chess piece (Bishop, knight, rook, etc.,) represent a class? White knight paladin black knight Ranger, black rook barbarian type of modelling?

Being a war gamer since 1959 and a miniature (other than plastic soldiers) using player since 1970s when I went FRPG with friends we just brought the figures element over without thinking. My biggest (intentional) is the excess of 25-30+mm figures in cases in the basement, around 20 plus cases if larger figures to winniw out.

LordEntrails
2017-10-20, 12:36 PM
Mac compatible? No microsoft in house anymore...
Sure, I use Fantasy Grounds which has an wine wrapper install for Mac. I've heard of other options too, but can't speak on them.

Painting on the screen never worked for me. :smallwink: I use a medically retired friend to paint many of the figures. Not charity, just more figures painted annually.
I get it, part of the fun of mini's is creating (painting) them etc. Keep having fun and enjoy your gaming, whatever that takes :smallsmile:

I admit that I love mini's/figures. Playing with them in person on custombuilt terrain is... awesome. And probably the most tactile thing until we get real VR. But, since I don't have the room, travel too much, and often can't play in person, I had to go the digital route. And, even though I don't have the tactile benefits anymore, I do get other benefits. Works for me. But would never think it would be the best solution for everyone.