PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How would you rule on...

MrStabby
2017-10-17, 05:59 PM
How would you rule on a daylight spell covered by a fog cloud? Enough light escapes to illuminate beyond the cloud? Any diminution of the light?

Lord Vukodlak
2017-10-17, 06:24 PM
How would you rule on a daylight spell covered by a fog cloud? Enough light escapes to illuminate beyond the cloud? Any diminution of the light?

Fog Cloud obscures the area but it doesn't create darkness or smother light. So daylight should radiate through it. Unless someone wants to make the argument that a cloudy day is just as dark as midnight. But there are no actual rules to cover this kind of thing. By RAW it'd function normally, though the area of the fog cloud would remain obscured.

I would personally rule to halve the area of the daylight halved if its source is within the fog cloud. A cloudy day isn't as bright as a sunny day.

MrStabby
2017-10-17, 06:28 PM
This was my problem. Either extreme was obviously wrong. Anything in the middle seemed pretty arbitrary as to where the boundaries got placed.

I was thinking to ignore the bright light and just have the radius of dim light immediately next to the source.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-10-18, 12:42 AM
Sometimes too bright of lights in the fog, especially aimed the wrong way, bounce back at you when driving and limit vision. So I could see being at the source of a ridiculous point of light in fog and being almost blinded by its reflection back at you. Or at least be concerned about the possibility.

nickl_2000
2017-10-18, 01:12 PM
The powers from above speak

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/920713141968814080

Azgeroth
2017-10-19, 05:48 AM
i would rule the daylight spell works as normal..

the fog cloud would also work as normal, but with this small change..

the fog cloud illuminates like a golden mist from celestia, figures inside cast huge shadows outside of the cloud..

add some thaumaturgy for AWESOME intimidation checks..