PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monastic Tradition: Tavern Wench [PEACH]

Wryte
2017-10-17, 08:31 PM
Looking for critique on a monk archetype I'm creating in response to the DM for an upcoming campaign choosing to restrict dwarves from playing caster classes, as otherwise I'd just multiclass monk/bard.

Way of the Wench
You are not the typical monk. Your holy temple is a crowded, smoke-filled room hot with the press of bodies. Your divine hymns are the roar of laughter, conversation, and incoherent insults all shouted over each other simultaneously. Your revered abbot is the bartender, and beer is your holy ambrosia. In fact, some might suggest you're not really a monk at all!

Tavern wenches wield their tongues like other monks wield their fists, wounding their foe's pride with sharp insults and bending others to their wills with a quick smile and a low-cut bodice.

Empowered Flirtation
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can enhance your natural charms with your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 1 ki point to cast charm person or command, or 2 ki points to cast calm emotions or enthrall, without providing material components. Calm emotions is centered on yourself when cast with this feature. Additionally, you gain the friends cantrip if you don't already know it.

Beguiling Technique
Also at 3rd level, you may substitute Charisma for Wisdom in determining the save DC of your ki features. You may also substitute Charisma for Wisdom in your Unarmored Defense, but can only gain a maximum of 2 AC from your Charisma in this way. At 11th level, this maximum increases to 3.

Tongue Lash
At 6th level, you gain the ability to empower your insults with ki, disrupting the target of your ire's effort to focus. As an action, you can spend ki points up to an amount equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) to cause a creature within 60 feet who can hear and understand you to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, choose either attack rolls, ability checks, or saving throws. Until the beginning of your next turn, the creature must subtract a die determined by the number of ki points you spent from all rolls it makes of that type.

Ki Points
Die

d4

d6

d8

d10

d12

Bouncing
By 11th level you have learned how to off-balance opponents with your strikes to make them easier to control. Whenever you successfully hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an attack using a monk weapon during your turn, you have advantage on your next Strength (Athletics) check to grapple or shove the same creature before the end of your turn.

Improvised Weapon Proficiency
Also at 11th level, you gain proficiency with improvised weapons, which count as monk weapons for you.

Around Your Finger
By 17th level you have learned to make your charms even more potent using your ki. As an action, you can spend 6 ki points to cast dominate person or modify memory.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-18, 07:30 AM
This could be fun.

khadgar567
2017-10-18, 08:24 AM
This could be fun.
exacly unarmored wenches getting fights with patrons know i want to see nude apron bar wench getting into fight with fully armored paladin just for lols( reason is wizard used mage hand to slap her when near to paladin).

JNAProductions
2017-10-18, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I'd make this a total Charisma swap. I see no reason to make the Monk more MAD than it already is.

I'd also add a note, if you do agree with me, that you should be able to ask your DM to start off Charisma-based even though you don't technically get the archetype till third level, just so that way you aren't gimped for focusing on Charisma over Wisdom at levels 1 and 2.

Also, I really like this!

Wryte
2017-10-19, 06:02 PM
Full Cha conversion would be preferable, of course, but I was wary of going that far since Cha is already such a strong ability in its own right. Then again, given that a lot of the tradition's features are already built around the sort of thing Cha skill checks are used for, the redundancy might reduce the OP factor. In fact, I might even add proficiency in a Cha skill of choice to Beguiling Technique, since monks don't have any options for them from their class (I'm getting Persuasion from the Guild Merchant background, which is the closest approximation I could figure for a waitress, with the character I made this tradition for).

JNAProductions
2017-10-19, 07:21 PM
Full Cha conversion would be preferable, of course, but I was wary of going that far since Cha is already such a strong ability in its own right. Then again, given that a lot of the tradition's features are already built around the sort of thing Cha skill checks are used for, the redundancy might reduce the OP factor. In fact, I might even add proficiency in a Cha skill of choice to Beguiling Technique, since monks don't have any options for them from their class (I'm getting Persuasion from the Guild Merchant background, which is the closest approximation I could figure for a waitress, with the character I made this tradition for).

Custom backgrounds are actually RAW, so you could easily have made a "Day Worker" background, covering a lot of jobs.

And while Charisma SKILLS might be more useful, usually (but NOT always), Wisdom saves are far more common. Wis->Cha is an even swap, methinks. They definitely have different uses, but I wouldn't consider one better than the other.