PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept Help; Thriller Bard/Lycan

Vaz
2017-10-18, 01:20 AM
Hi team, hope you can help me. I want to play basically as Michael Jackson in Thriller, and to utilise the Order of the Lycan in conjunction with Bard. Probably

How doable is it? Anyone able to help me with break points etc?

Saiga
2017-10-18, 01:27 AM
Sounds tough. You need Dex, Wis and Cha to MC and your Crimson Rite die only scales with Blood Hunter level, but deals damage based on total level.

It's not a good thing to dip, and neither is Bard. It'd probably better to just stay pure Blood Hunter and get an instrument proficiency, raise Cha instead of Wis and take Performance proficiency. You'll lose control more often, but if you're playing it like Thriller that's part of the concept.

Ventruenox
2017-10-18, 08:50 PM
If dealing blood rite damage isn't the focus of the build, or a feature you intend to use often, then a 3 level Blood Hunter dip for the Lycan is viable. Not optimal, but viable. It's pricey for a bonus d4 per hit.

You get one Blood Maledict (Eyeless, Purgation, or Mutual Suffering would be good choices) per short rest, you get a fighting style, a ribbon ability in Hunter's Bane, plus the Lycan goodies. Starting as Blood Hunter will give you Wisdom Save proficiency to help curb the Bloodlust.

Playing the King of Pop as a Bard with a secret just feels better to me than as a melee machine. What's more, Disguise Self will give you the option to do performance checks to dance as a zombie!

GlenSmash!
2017-10-19, 05:31 PM
I think the concept could be done easier as a Shifter Bard. or Entertainer Lycan

But if your set on a Bard/Lycan the 3 level Lycan dip laid out in the post above seems like it would work.