PDA

View Full Version : "Cid. There's always a Cid." FFd20

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:19 AM
Final Fantasy D20

For Starters:
Yes, I'm well aware that this, more than likely, has already been done. Yes, I do feel like doing this for the hell of it. No, I'm not crazy.

aaaaaaaaaaaand...

Welcome to what surely will take up much of my sleeping-time and consume the next 3 weeks before schools starts. Anyone who is willing to help out is much appreciated and welcome. Lets get this show on the road!

Table of Contents:

Part 1: New Level Progression

: Stat Progression by Level
: Spell Points and You.

Part 2: New Races

: Humes
: Bangaa
: Nu Mou
: Moogle
: Viera
: Seeq

Part 3: New Classes

: Warrior

: Paladin
: Dark Knight

: Black Mage

: Black Summoner
: Time Mage

: White Mage

: White Summoner
: Green Mage

: Thief

: Ninja
: Ranger

: Red Mage

: Mystic Knight
: Sage

: Monk

: Master
: Samurai

Part 4: New Spell Lists

: Black Magic

:Spell List
:Spell Description

: White Magic

: Green Magic

: Time Magic

: Arcane Magic

Part 5: New Feats and Skills
Part 6: New Monsters (!!!VERY LAST THING TO DO!!!)

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:20 AM
Stat Progression by Class:

Stat Progression is going to be kinda different in this variant. For one, you now get twice as many times to improve your stats. Jubilation! But, there's a catch. You have no control over what stats get improved. Your class decides that.

Your stat increases are based on what stats are most important for your class. Your Primary Stat is increased each time you hit a stat gain. For example: A Black Mages Primary Stat is Intelligence, so, he would gain a grand total of +8 to his Intelligence by level 20.

Your Secondary Stat is also increased each time you hit a stat gain. But this one changes each time. So going back to a Black Mage: a level two he would gain +1 Int. and +1 Wis. At level 4 he would gain +1 Int. and +1 Cha. and so on and so forth.

What each class gains at their stat gains will be recorded on their respective tables.

Spell Points and You

Not quite a new system but a variant I'll be using from Unearthed Arcana. However this may be changed to fit my needs as time goes by.

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:23 AM
One thing for races. Most of you will find the Favored Class Entry to be blank. Do Not be alarmed. This was intentional. Races no longer have favored classes. They no longer need them. All will be explained in time... As soon as I get down to putting info in the reserved spaces.

Humes

Ah, White Bread, thy name is hume. The stereotypical human type, signature to all games everywhere.

Racial Stuff:
+2 to Charisma
Medium: As Medium creatures, humes have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Hume base land speed is 30 feet.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any

Bangaa

The mighty Bangaa. Fierce warriors and courageous defenders. Rough and hard spoken, they'll fight with an ally until the last man. Just don't call them lizards!

Racial Stuff:
+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence,-2 Charisma
Medium: As Medium creatures, bangaa have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Bangaa base land speed is 30 feet.
Thick Skin: Due to their thick, leathery skin bangaa have a +2 Natural Armor Bonus
Strong Willed: Bangaa are strong willed individuals. This results in a +2 Will bonus to resist fear effects.
Automatic Languages: Common, Bangaa. Bonus Languages: Moogle, Seeq,

Nu Mou

Racial Stuff:
-2 Str,+2 Int, +2 Wis
Medium: As Medium creatures, nu mou have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Nu Mou base land speed is 20 feet.
All Knowing: Most nu mou are book wormy types. Nu Mou have a +2 racial bonus on all Knowledge checks.
Magical Affinity: Nu Mou have a +2 racial bonus to spell and spell-like affects.
Automatic Languages: Common Nu Mou. Bonus Languages: Viera, Moogle

Moogle

+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Str, -2 Con
Small: As a Small creature, a moogle gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Handiwork: Moogles have a +2 racial bonus all Craft and Repair checks regarding airships.
Wings: A moogles wings allow him to hover and fly short distances. He has a fly speed of 15 feet (clumsy) and can reach a staggering altitude of 10 feet. Also a moogle can only uses the ability for 3 consecutive rounds. After that he lands (or falls) on the ground and can not fly for another three rounds. A moogle must be carrying a light load to use this ability.
Automatic Languages: Common, Moogle. Bonus Languages: Bangaa, Nu mou.

Viera

+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Con, -2 Cha
Medium: As Medium creatures, viera have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Viera base land speed is 30 feet.
+2 Hide, Move Silently and Listen Checks
Nature's Grace: When in a forest or jungle a viera have a +2 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks. This stacks with the above checks.
Bow affinity: Viera have a +2 attack bonus when wielding a bow in combat.
Automatic Languages: Common, Viera. Bonus Languages: Nu mou

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:24 AM
Reserved Space for Warrior and Progression Classes

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:26 AM
Reserved Space for Black Mage and Progression Classes

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:27 AM
Reserved Space for White Mage and Progression Classes

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:28 AM
Reserved Space for Thief and Progression Classes

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:29 AM
Reserved Space for Red Mage and Progression Classes

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:30 AM
Reserved Space for Monk and Progression Classes

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:32 AM
List of Black Magic (Subject to change)

-Fire
-Fira
-Firaga
-Firaja
-Blizzard
-Blizzara
-Blizzaga
-Blizzaja
-Thunder
-Thundara
-Thundaga
-Thundaja
-Aero
-Aera
-Aeraga
-Water
-Watera
-Wateraga
-Gaia
-Gaiara
-Gaiaga
-Bio
-Scourge
-Inferno
-Avalanche
-Storm
-Gale
-Flood
-Earthquake
-Flare
-Gigaflare
-Ultima

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:33 AM
Fire(Black Magic[Fire])
Level: Black Mage ?, Red Mage ?
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium (100ft+40/caster level)
Target: Victim
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You call up a small ball of flame to strike your target for 1d4 points of fire damage per caster level (max of 5d4)

GRRR...this is going to take a while. But first: my 7:02 a.m. Lunch!

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:34 AM
Reserved Space for White Magic Spell List

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:35 AM
Reserved Space for White Magic Spell Description

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:37 AM
Reserved Space for Green Magic Spell List

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:38 AM
Reserved Space for Green Magic Spell Description

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:39 AM
Reserved Space for Time Magic Spell List

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:40 AM
Reserved Space for Time Magic Spell Description

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:42 AM
Reserved Space for Arcane Magic Spell List

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:44 AM
Reserved Space for Arcane Spell Description

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:45 AM
Reserved Space for Feats and Skills

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 03:46 AM
Reserved Space for New Monsters

Tengu
2007-08-16, 03:57 AM
Sorry to sound so negative, but d20 and Final Fantasy do not mix at all - there have been several attempts with converting FF to d20, and all of them sucked ass. Returners (http://www.returnergames.com/) have a better system, but I personally don't like it due to lack of options and because it seems very bland. I've made a system too (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44150), and am currently running one PBP game on these forums and one PBCH somewhere else, the second of which is already running for almost 2 years, but it's still incomplete in some parts.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-16, 04:09 AM
Kind of a full circle sort of thing almost, since the first Final Fantasy at least was very clearly dungeons and dragons inspired.

Even the thing with having to rest to recover spells really.

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 04:09 AM
Thanks Tengu. I know this probably isn't going to pan out the way I like, but hey you win some and you lose some. I'm doing this mainly because I don't have anything else to do for three weeks.

And.

Ugh, is it just me or is America becoming more of a defeatist crap-hole. First chance, moving to Canada!

Paragon Badger
2007-08-16, 05:44 AM
Hmmm. I'd say, the one... and only FF game that could most be applicable to D20 would be Final Fantasy Tactics.

(No... not FFT:Advance. Blech.)

Heck, the Leap attack from Complete Adventurer IS lancer/dragoon. >_>

Monks are virtually the same.

Classes like the Mediator would be easy to port. Basically spell-like abilities with charisma modifiers.

Prestige Classes = NPC Classes. Holy Knight, Dark Knight, Engineer?

Although there is already a system and MMORPG online game that resembles FFT... it's forum based and does not use D20.. and alot of the game mechanics formulae is hidden, so you need a DM/GM in order to do much besides roleplay. (And with a dozen or two GMs and 300 players...)

A D20 FFT would be the best way to go, in my opinion... since all the other FFs do not have as rigid a class structure.

Fallen Martyr
2007-08-16, 12:21 PM
Most of the FF games are internally consistent.
FFT is just the easiest to port over.

If you try and make a system that can (relatively) accurately portray all of the FF games.... good luck with that. :smallsigh:
Too many inconsistencies and contradictions to be anything other than a major PITA.

I'll be watching this... <3's me some FF. :smallcool:

Xefas
2007-08-16, 02:33 PM
Personally, I use ZODIAC (http://www14.brinkster.com/zodiacrpg/) for all my Final Fantasy roleplaying needs. I like it because you can essentially custom build your own class and abilities as you go along. In addition, it has finite rules for constructing monsters, which is nice. And, they have optional rules for doing things like Materia if you want to emulate a certain game specifically. But, most of all, it's very simple, and that's a nice change when you're used to playing D&D 99% of the time.

---

Although, on a different note, I do agree that FFT and FFTA wouldn't be too exceptionally difficult to port. I already have stats for a Mog Knight and Templar prestige class using the normal D&D rules written down on my computer. Not for any real reason- just because I was bored and thought they'd be cool.

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 02:47 PM
Sorry to sound so negative, but d20 and Final Fantasy do not mix at all

Actually, they do. Final Fantasy is level-based, class-based, unrealistic fantasy. This is what d20 does best.

I've been working on Final Fantasy d20 for a long time now, though it's been on hold for a year or so. Osiris, if you're interested, maybe you could help me edit and finish this, instead of starting from scratch?

So far complete:
All base classes (8 of them)
All but one advanced class (14/15)
All NPC classes (2 of them)
All races (10 of them)
Black Magic
White Magic
Call Magic
Blue Magic

To do:
Sage advanced class
Cosmic Magic
Yin-Yang Magic
Chemistry (NPC class spells)
Skills and Feats
Monsters
Technology

None of this really has fluff yet. It's pretty much just stats. Is anyone interested in me posting this? I did a long time ago here and got some good feedback.

[Edit]:As with all Final Fantasies, my FFD20 is its own seperate thing, inspired and based on many concepts in the video games. It is not Tactics ported to d20, it is not FF7 in D&D, etc.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 02:55 PM
goob, I remember you talking about this on the other board. I don't recall ever seeing a whole lot of your work beyond a small sample of what you posted. Do you have it all some place that I can look at?

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 02:58 PM
I'll have to upload it. Gimme a minute. I'd post it all here, but it's like 100 pages of documents... I'm not formatting that right now.

[Edit]: Here we go:
http://www.edanet.com/FFD20/FF_Races.doc
http://www.edanet.com/FFD20/FF_Classes.doc
http://www.edanet.com/FFD20/FF_Advanced.doc
http://www.edanet.com/FFD20/FF_NPCs.doc
http://www.edanet.com/FFD20/FF_Magic.doc

Note: I believe Sage is in there, but needs to be fixed. This is still in alpha stages, so balance is questionable.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 03:04 PM
hehe, if my own experience of formatting documents is anything worth a damn, formatting is probably one of the most arduous and yet arguable most important factor in improving the usability of the document.

well, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going on vacation soon, I'd volunteer to do it for you.

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 03:06 PM
It's all nice and formatted in Word. I just don't want to have to do it again. Turns out those documents total 77 pages. :smalleek:

elliott20
2007-08-16, 03:11 PM
oh okay, I thought you meant you didn't even format it in word either. This is actually very nicely done.

I'm reading over your base classes though and the fighter class feels a tad weak. It's basically a fighter with less flexibility.

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 03:16 PM
Yeah, maybe I should give them Two-Fisted Monkey Style...

But seriously, that's one of the things I probably need to fix. Maybe just give them bonus feats like D&D Fighters, and make feats for the cooler abilities they have now.

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 04:12 PM
Pretty Nice Goober. I do see one point which my system is going to differ from yours. Your using traditional D&D spell Slot while I'm going with Spell Point system (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm).

Nevermind

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 05:33 PM
So are you interested in working with me, do you want to do your own thing, or are you just bored and need a time sink?

Blackdrop
2007-08-16, 08:58 PM
I actually want to do my own thing. 'K?

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 09:49 PM
Sure. Feel free to use anything from my stuff, as long as you give me credit.

Arranas
2007-08-17, 03:02 AM
Well, there's not ALWAYS a Cid... FFI, for example...

Not that it's really that relevant, I suppose...

Zeta Kai
2007-08-17, 05:24 AM
For the record, considering how different each game is from one another, I think it is somewhat futile to create a unified FFd20, as there is nothing even remotely like a unified FF universe. Almost every game exists in its own separate world, with varying levels of incompatibility.

FF7 d20? Sure. FFX/X-2 d20? Great. FFT d20? Why not. But all of them together in one game is likely to be a disappointing mess that will ultimately satisfy no one, due to the slew of compromises such as pastiche would have to implement.

Blackdrop
2007-08-17, 05:35 AM
Wow, your a downer. Who needs prescription drugs when we have you.

j/k

But, eh. See earlier post to Tengu.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-17, 06:36 AM
Don't misunderstand me, Osiris. I'm not making the argument that FF & D&D are incompatible. Considering their intertwined fantasy-based roots, I believe quite the opposite. Few things could be easier to convert to the d20 rules.

My supposition is this: Combining all Final Fantasy games into one universe will a) alienate/disappoint/annoy fans of any given aspect of any game that is not included reverently or b) create such an all-inclusive, compromising mish-mash that the universe will make less than zero sense & basically be a confusing mess.

Imagine if you will, a fusion of Record of the Lodoss War, the Legend of Zelda cartoon in the 80's, the D&D cartoon in the 80's, & the Dragon Warrior cartoon in the 80's. Some would say "Do0d, that's teh awsum! Mak eit now pleez!" But it would probably either ignore so much from each source that it would be it's own beast, or would try to include everything, with all of the horror that implies.

Tengu
2007-08-17, 12:52 PM
Actually, they do. Final Fantasy is level-based, class-based, unrealistic fantasy. This is what d20 does best.

D20 does a bad job at portraying heroic high fantasy. Also, the best FF games are either classless, or with easily switchable classes - a FF RPG game should allow much more character customization than d20.

While d20 rewards specialization, in most FF games the muscle-types can still cast decently, and the casters fight decently.

In FF, attacks miss much less often and deal much less random damage than in d20. You also don't face enemies that can one-shot you if you're unlucky at the lowest levels.

Limit Breaks are cool. Try introducing them.

Generally, the feel of FFT or FFTA is not the one I'd try to represent, since they are borderline strategy games and you do not really feel attached to the characters, and due to the strategic nature they suffer simplifications on the field of character options.

AjaxTorbin
2007-08-17, 02:19 PM
at some point in teh evolution of anyones gaming group someone will say 'HEY, final fantasy iS COOL, lets make it D20!', and owing to the nature of the gamer, we'll agree.

when this happend to my group about 4 years ago we made a system, well, discused making a system.
in the end we figured out a few things.
(if i reiterate a few things sorry, just bear with me)

1 you can not have the best of all worlds.
-----we had to choose which FF to base our stuf off of. we all knew FF7, FF9 and tactics farly well , and so, after many fase starts desided that Tactics was teh best to actuly pull insperation from

2 magic. we figured early on that magic was much more 'open' in FF than in normal D&D. afetr some argument, weather or not we should allow all classes to have magic, we figured out that we could use spell points, FOR THE CHARACTER LEVELS in addation to the points from class/spell levels. so this way every character gont SOME spell casting, (like cantrips) but wasnt as good with them as say, a Black mage.
------RULE: your character gets their wisdom, charisma, or intelegence, (chosen at creation-may not change) in Personal Spell Points. the character, if not a spell casting class, must choose TWO schools of magic from wich to cast. all otehr schools are BANNED from use with Personal Spell Points.
these points recover once per rest and can never be used to cast a spell higher than that stat modifier. EX: with a 16 wisdom Tifa can cast third level spells, and has 16 personal points.
once we fiugured this part out, we had all sorts of things ine could do with Personal Spell Points,(PSP)

3 this was something i was aganst at first, but the others wanted some type of limit break effect, one wanted them to be useable nearly at will; one once per day/week, ect. ect., it was me, ironicly teh one who didn't want them at all who came up with a solution, base them on PERSONAL SPELL POINTS(thats what we called the points you got as a character; the other points are CLASS POINTS) and as your personal points were limited and didn't change a whole lot we felt this was a good thing to tie them to. we just made the better Breaks cost a whole lot more.
teh othe thing we learned was KEEP THEM SIMPLE, no weird limit breaks, remeber, most limit breaks LOOKED cool, but just did damage in the end.
(we also said teh player may decide what his Break looked like, like with magic Missle)

4 Classes. we all had a class, or two, we wanted to see:
I wanted a Sharp shooter/archer class and some type of Dirvish/Whirlwind attack class; another wanted to be sure there was a Red Mage that was worth something, one that there was a Blue Mage(teh one that 'aquired' abilitys from monsters, like in FF9) one guy wanted Ninja and Thief to be in (and different enough to matter) so what we did was each take TWO classes and 'made' them to our likeing then came back a week later to go over each others work. in the end we came up with teh following:
---1 each class should be the pardigm of their 'style'.
---2 they should NOT get their greatest ability untill high level.
---3 multi classing, while not totaly out, isn't realy a GREAT idea (jack of all, master of none-thats Red Mage teritory)
---3 each class must have a spicific nich but also be able to stand on its own
following these guid lines we worrked out a system;
there woulkd be abilitys, great abilitys and ultamate abilitys. an ability started at 1 or 2 level, a great ability started no earlyer that 8, no later then 10 and a Ultimate no earlyer than 16. uesing this and the charts from the Dungon Masters Guide, (the ones that show how much avarage damage is per character level) we worked each ability into this framework.

Now, i pause here to give you an idea as to what we were shooting for.
we wanted a slightly higher fantasy that 'normal' D&D, so we wanted a 1LV white mage to be like an optmised healing cleric, (human, healing domain, domain focus[healing]) basicly we wanted the primary ability of each class to be the equivalent of building a regular D&D character do do ONLY that. with this in mind we made each class to be slightly MORE powerfull than a D&D equivilent.

TO BE CONTINUED . . .