PDA

View Full Version : Item Caster Level and Spell Requirements

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 03:20 AM
I notice that a lot of items have a fairly low caster level, yet require fairly powerful magic to create. For example, I was looking at the 3.5 update to Monster Manual II, and the Dread Guard creation was lowered from caster level 15 to 5, the creation cost was cut from 40,000 to just over 3,000 (including armor and shield), which makes this craftable by lower level characters (and being 5 HD, CR 3 constructs with no special abilities, that's fair), and yet, it require fabricate, geas/quest, and polymorph any object to create. These are 5th, 6th, and 8th level spells respectively, so in the end, only a 15th level or higher character can make these (assuming no one helps, and no scroll or anything are used).

This is the case for a lot of other magic items, which have low caster level, yet high level spells to craft.

Still another problem I have, is why are progressive items all the same caster level? Why can a 7th level character craft bracers of armor +8, while a 6th can't even craft +1? Why can an 8th level character craft gloves of dexterity +6, while a 7th can't even craft +2?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-16, 03:51 AM
The caster level listed is not a requirement of creation, it is just the default level for randomly generated items.

However, items may list explicit requirements, like teh Bracers or Armor you talk about.

Craft Wondrous Item, mage armor, creator’s caster level must be at least two times that of the bonus placed in the bracers;

So you need to be level 16 to craft +8 bracers.

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 02:28 PM
But then why would the default caster level be 7? There would be no case in existance of caster level 7 bracers of armor +8. And what's to stop a level 3 character with decent cash from making increadably expensive items with crazy high caster levels listed, because they have no other high level requirements?

Fixer
2007-08-16, 02:41 PM
Caster Level is 7 because that is how powerful the item is. The spells can be cast from scrolls rather than actually be learned by the creator.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-16, 04:13 PM
But then why would the default caster level be 7? There would be no case in existance of caster level 7 bracers of armor +8.

That is correct, but they assigned a level anyway.

And what's to stop a level 3 character with decent cash from making increadably expensive items with crazy high caster levels listed, because they have no other high level requirements?

The DM and the wealth by level guidelines.

Jasdoif
2007-08-16, 04:31 PM
The caster level listed is not a requirement of creation, it is just the default level for randomly generated items.This is awfully vague business here, so if you would be so kind as to answer this for clarity...what is the caster level of an item created by a character? The character's own caster level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-16, 04:34 PM
Is this some kind of trick question?

Yes, unless you want to make it lower (minimum CL requirement must of course still be met).

Jasdoif
2007-08-16, 04:40 PM
Is this some kind of trick question?No, this is me wondering if it's accepted to make an item with a caster level higher then your own (ie, the item's listed caster level), by meeting its prerequisites through alternative means. Say, a level 3 wizard making a (Type VII) necklace of fireballs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofFireballs) through minimum-CL wands of fireball.

Hypoglycemia may be impacting my rationale at the moment, though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-16, 04:50 PM
Sure, I think the FAQ even mentions it.

Spells and such can be supplied from external sources, but CL is still set by the creator, so then it gets really confusing...
(In this case you would obviously have to let the exogenous CL overrule the endogenous)

They should have made a CL requirement for all items or enforced the existing "guideline" to keep things consistent.