PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Sorcadin

Azreal
2017-10-18, 11:23 AM
So I'm looking at doing a thought experiment build for a Kobold Sorcadin for an upcoming Tiamat Campaign.

Just not sure how best to do the stat spread with that -2 Str so I can actually carry my equipment.

nickl_2000
2017-10-18, 11:24 AM
So I'm looking at doing a thought experiment build for a Kobold Sorcadin for an upcoming Tiamat Campaign.

Just not sure how best to do the stat spread with that -2 Str so I can actually carry my equipment.

Ignore it and buy a mule/hire lesser kobold to carry it for you/ make the fighter/barbarian carry it for you.

Laserlight
2017-10-18, 11:29 AM

If you're going by the standard rules (and if my memory of them is correct), you can carry 15 times your STR. So a STR6 sorcadin can carry 90lb. Is that not sufficent? If not, suggest to your DM that your armor ought to weigh 1/4 the listed amount.

MagneticKitty
2017-10-18, 11:36 AM
Perhaps a creature that's size small has half sized weapons... Other than that ask dm how close he follows encumbrance. Remember you need 13 str to even multiclass to or from paladin.. so I think you will be fine.

Azreal
2017-10-18, 01:56 PM
Perhaps a creature that's size small has half sized weapons... Other than that ask dm how close he follows encumbrance. Remember you need 13 str to even multiclass to or from paladin.. so I think you will be fine.

DM is hand waving the Multiclass rule subbing Dex for the Str requirement. Was looking at a Dex build for this guy.

MagneticKitty
2017-10-18, 02:33 PM
Then you're probably not using heavy armor if you don't want to be encumbered. I don't think carrying will be a problem. Just don't hoard. Or buy a bad of holding

Azreal
2017-10-18, 02:46 PM
Then you're probably not using heavy armor if you don't want to be encumbered. I don't think carrying will be a problem. Just don't hoard. Or buy a bad of holding

Gotcha thanks for the advice.

On a second note what do you guys recommend for level spread/stat spread considering we will only get to 15

sithlordnergal
2017-10-18, 10:02 PM
Well, that part depends on your build. If you're going Oath of the Ancients, I'd go Paladin 8, Sorcerer 7. This will net you spell slots for an 11th level Sorcerer. If you're any other subclass, go Paladin 6/Sorcerer 9. That way you have two attacks, the Paladin Aura, and decent HP. That said, I personally preferred Oath of the Ancients over the others since it makes you tankier.

As for the Sorcerer, I'd go with the Wild Magic subclass over the Dragon one. The Dragon subclass gives you a base 13 AC, +1 hp, Draconic Language, double your Proficency bonus when making a charisma when dealing with dragons, and the ability to spend a Sorcerer point to gain resistance to the element of the dragon you picked and add your Cha bonus to one die of damage when casting a spell with the element of your dragon. Since you're a Paladin, you will probably have armor, making the 13 AC pointless, and a +1 to HP isn't that big of a boost since you'll have Paladin HP from your previous levels. The eventual Resistance and charsima damage is nice, but you won't get that till you're nearly level 15, or at level 15 if you did Paladin 8, Sorcerer 7. So it'd basically be your capstone, and it isn't enough.

Wild Magic will give you advantage on one attack roll, saving throw, or ability check of your choice, and that recharges on a long rest or whenever you roll on the Wild Magic table, access to the Wild Magic table, which has more good affects on it then bad, and Bend Luck. Which is basically the Lore Bard's Cutting Words and Bardic Inspiration ability combined. It works on attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks, and you get to decide if the roll increases or decreases whatever the person rolled. The only major downside is that it is up to the DM if you roll on the Wild Magic table, but even then a free advantage on anything you like is pretty good. It may not be the greatest capstone in the world, but it is far more flexible then a possible +5 damage to a single elemental type.

As for the rest of the subclasses, I haven't gotten to use/read them. So I'm not sure what they're like. Though if you're playing in AL, then you're kind of stuck with the two from the PHB since you need to have Volvo's as your +1 to be a Kobold.

So, stat spreads. If you are doing the standard point buy, I would go with:

Str: 8

Dex: 14

Con: 14

Int: 10

Cha: 14

Since Kobolds have a +2 to Dex, that'll give you a nice 16 in Dex. I suggest you use Rapiers as your main weapon, and go with a Sword and Board character. As for ASI's, I'd go with:

Level 4: 16 Cha

Level 8: War Caster

Level 12: 18 Cha.

18 Charisma is decent enough that you'll be able to have a reliable hit chance with your spells, your Spell Save DC will be high enough that things won't always get past it, and you'll be giving a nice +4 to all your saves.

Soo, I know you didn't ask for this, but I'll put it here anyway. I highly suggest you take Firebolt, Chill Touch, and Shocking Grasp for your damaging cantrips. Unless this isn't Adventure's League, and you're allowed to use Volvo's and Sword Coast Adventure, in which case swap Shocking Grasp for Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade. Those three to four spells will give you all the magical damage you'll need for a good, long while. Fire Bolt is a great ranged spell, and Chill Touch can pick up the slack when you run into something immune to fire. Shocking Grasp, Green Flame Blade, and Booming Blade all provide you with a powerful and important item, a Melee cantrip attack. Which means you can smite on all of them. And once you take Quicken Spell, you get to have 3 melee attacks to Smite with in a Round, and if you snag Haste once you reach Sorcerer 5? Well, now you've got as many attacks as the Fighter and can Smite on each of them.