PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Halfling fighter (champion)

Ichneumon
2017-10-18, 11:43 AM
So, I have this character build in mind and would like some advise on how to make it viable and, above all, more fun.

I want a character that is very easy to play (not too many choices to make on a round to round basis), one that can rush right into the action and one that will likely make me smile a lot on a round by round basis. What do I mean with the last one? Champions have a higher chance of getting a critical hit and as a halfling I am Lucky and can reroll a 1, turning a failure into a possible succes. I figure these are moments when dice outcome will make me cheer, as I can do something special. Now, I decided to go for a two-weapon fighting fighter, because that would mean I get to roll twice per turn, increasing the odds of one being a cric or a 1.

This is what I had in mind:

Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)
Class: fighter (champion)
Background: Criminal, Outlander or Entertainer (mostly for fluff reasons)
Abilities (standard array):
Strength 8
Dexterity 14 + 2 racial: 16
Constitution 13
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 10
Charisma 15 +1 racial: 16
Weapons: 2 scimitars (changing it to longswords once I have the Dual Wielder feat)
Feats: Dual-wielding as soon as possible, then for the second one, I was thinking of Lucky or Savage Attacker)
Armor: Studded leather (12 + dex(3) = 15)
Fighting style: two-weapon fighting and the second maybe defence

Any tips on what the weaknesses and strengths of this build are, would be appreciated.:smallsmile:

Cap'm Bubbles
2017-10-18, 11:54 AM
Longswords are not finesse weapons, meaning you can't use Dex for them; try two rapiers instead when you have the dual wielding feat.

You will probably want to get the Lucky feat first, though, as the bonuses from dual wielding are only going to amount to an average of +2-3 damage per round on successful hits and +1 AC. Lucky will give you not only 3 more chances per day to get a crit, but will also undo failed hits, or can save you from enemy critical hits.

Savage Attacker doesn't usually pan out without an excessive amount of dice being rolled on a single attack; great weapons, sneak attack, or committed crit-fishing (any two of half-orc, champion, barbarian with brutal critical). I would skip it on this build in favor of Medium Armor Master to help boost your AC, or increasing Dexterity for improving you attacks.

Mind that you are going to have some AC problems compared to martial characters that chose heavy armor; you'll get there by the end, and will have other things to compensate like going earlier in initiative and the combined luck and lucky bonuses.

Specter
2017-10-18, 12:17 PM
With Champion on board, you want more ways to get dice damage on your attacks, so your crits can actually scare someone and not just be like a greatsword attack.

If you want to keep it simple, 1-3 Rogue levels will help you there with Sneak Attack.

bid
2017-10-18, 06:11 PM
Feats: Dual-wielding as soon as possible, then for the second one, I was thinking of Lucky or Savage Attacker)
A Dex ASI will give you more than DW or savage attacker.
- Dex means +1 AC, +1 damage per attack, +1 hit
- DW means +1 AC, +1 damage per attack (1d8 vs 1d6), SAME hit
- savage attacker means... +0.75/+1 damage per ROUND
* null and void if you're in love with the d8 or just want to roll more dice.

Dex20 before feats, unless your RP concept demands it.
Lucky would help you crit: when you fail a attack, just roll one of your lucky dice and hope you crit/roll 1.
Mobile or rogue 3 dip for swashbuckler to keep moving.

I suggest you swap to Con15 / Cha14, unless you want the feat inspiring leader. More hp is always better.
By level 10, you might prefer archery to defense. See how it goes.

Marvnmartian
2017-10-18, 10:08 PM
If it was me and I was doing the dual wielding halfing build like this I would make it like so

Race: Halfling (Stout or Ghostwise)
Background: Urchin
Strength 8
Dexterity 16 + 2 racial: 18
Constitution 14 (13 if stout for +1)
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 14 (13 if ghostwise for +1)
Charisma 10
Weapons: 2 Rapiers
Feats: Dual-wielding at 6, lucky at 8 Inspiring Leader at 19
ASI: Dex +2 at 4, Con + 6 at 12,14 and 16
Armor: Studded leather (12 + dex(4) = 16)
Fighting style: two-weapon fighting and the second Defense

If I was going to go full on optimized path I would switch to a Aarakocra as my race for the flight allowing you to be trained in stealth + perception and be a flying scout as well as the party tank it would be a good all rounder build

bid
2017-10-18, 11:21 PM
Dexterity 16 + 2 racial: 18
Not possible.

Charisma 10
Inspiring Leader at 19
Not a good fit.

DanyBallon
2017-10-19, 04:14 AM
It may or may not be useful to you, but in one of our game we have an halfling BattleMaster and it's now a running gag how he is always late to the party because of Halfling's 25ft movement. Since you are a frontline fighter, you want to get in melee as fast as you can, and this is where our halfling is having a hard time. I must admit that so far, most of the encounters we had were done in the open with enemies engaging from far away, not the best condition for him. :smallbiggrin:

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-19, 04:27 AM
It may or may not be useful to you, but in one of our game we have an halfling BattleMaster and it's now a running gag how he is always late to the party because of Halfling's 25ft movement. Since you are a frontline fighter, you want to get in melee as fast as you can, and this is where our halfling is having a hard time. I must admit that so far, most of the encounters we had were done in the open with enemies engaging from far away, not the best condition for him. :smallbiggrin:

That's why the Fastball Special exists.

Azgeroth
2017-10-19, 04:30 AM
does it have to be fighter??

halfling monk is ALOT of fun..

DanyBallon
2017-10-19, 04:39 AM
That's why the Fastball Special exists.

I know, but we don't have the kind of powerhouse to throw a full plate wearing halfling, in fact the only one who would be able to is said halfling tin can :smalltongue:

Godshoe
2017-10-19, 06:26 AM
Mhah, he should just buy a mastiff

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-19, 06:34 AM
I know, but we don't have the kind of powerhouse to throw a full plate wearing halfling, in fact the only one who would be able to is said halfling tin can :smalltongue:

I don't suppose there's some kind of reality bending trick to allow the tin can to throw themselves, either..

Marvnmartian
2017-10-19, 09:24 AM
Not possible.

Not a good fit.

Point buy metric 27 points to spend
11 to Dex for a 16 + racial = 18
7 to Con for a 14
2 to intel for a 10
5 to Wiz for a 13 + racial = 14
2 to char for a 10
11+7+2+5+2 = 27... so yeah def possible

also the level 19 feat is kinda a coin flip for me either tough or inspiring leader because its either 38 hp to you or 19 hp to the whole party so if their is more then 3 characters in the team its a net positive to just taking tough for themselves

bid
2017-10-19, 09:36 AM
Not possible, this is 5e.

Trampaige
2017-10-19, 09:41 AM
Point buy metric 27 points to spend
7 to Con for a 14
2 to intel for a 10
5 to Wiz for a 13 + racial = 14
2 to char for a 10
11+7+2+5+2 = 27... so yeah def possible

But you can't buy above 15 in point buy. 17 is the highest starting stat, given a +2 racial bonus.

Joe the Rat
2017-10-19, 10:12 AM
On the initial build, this screams Rogue - Cunning action can cover a lot of ground, and sacrificing the off-hand attack to get close enough is fair. Swashbuckler 3 is a good grab as well - charisma to initiative, and partial Mobility baked in... plus the 2d6 sneak attack so long as you aren't fighting one vs many.

Boots of Springing and Striding are fun too.

djreynolds
2017-10-20, 04:04 AM
So, I have this character build in mind and would like some advise on how to make it viable and, above all, more fun.

I want a character that is very easy to play (not too many choices to make on a round to round basis), one that can rush right into the action and one that will likely make me smile a lot on a round by round basis. What do I mean with the last one? Champions have a higher chance of getting a critical hit and as a halfling I am Lucky and can reroll a 1, turning a failure into a possible succes. I figure these are moments when dice outcome will make me cheer, as I can do something special. Now, I decided to go for a two-weapon fighting fighter, because that would mean I get to roll twice per turn, increasing the odds of one being a cric or a 1.

This is what I had in mind:

Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)
Background: Criminal, Outlander or Entertainer (mostly for fluff reasons)
Strength 8
Dexterity 14 + 2 racial: 16
Constitution 13
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 10
Charisma 15 +1 racial: 16
Weapons: 2 scimitars (changing it to longswords once I have the Dual Wielder feat)
Armor: Studded leather (12 + dex(3) = 15)
Fighting style: two-weapon fighting and the second maybe defence

Any tips on what the weaknesses and strengths of this build are, would be appreciated.:smallsmile:

Pure champion dual wielder, here it goes

Your weakness is wisdom saves

Keep the scimitars and forget dual wielder for the moment as rapiers may not be worth it.

Dual wielder is worth it for strength based, but just for rapiers and +1 AC.... it can wait until dex is maxed. Then think about it as until 20 dex, every 2 ASI is worth +1 to hit, +1 AC, at past 5th level +3 damage if all attacks hit

For me, hex I would grab as soon as possible through magic initiate, around 6th level

Magic initiate for hex, lasts 1 hour adding 1d6 to all attacks versus the same opponent

Make con as high as possible... 14 at least

Grab resilient wisdom and make that starting wisdom 13.

Leave charisma respectable for fluff purposes

leave intelligence at 10

9/16/14/10/13/14

4th level dex +2 18
6th level magic initiate warlock and grab hex
8th level dex +2 20
11th level, 4 attacks along with hex damage
12 level resilient wisdom... wisdom is now 14 and you have a good wisdom save which you can augment with indomitable
14th level maybe dual wielder if you have snagged a magic rapier if not, lucky or mage slayer
16th level maybe dual wielder if you have snagged a magic rapier if not, lucky or mage slayer