PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting comes with a Magical Items "tax"

Boci
2017-10-18, 03:54 PM
One idea I had for a game setting was one where magical items and spellcasting (learned or innate) interfere with each other, as represented by the two following rules:

Magical Feedback: Whenever a magical item which occupies a slot is worn by a creature who possesses a caster level from their race, a template or class, their own magic overwhelms that of the item and it is suppressed. The strength of its aura becomes faint though it retains it original school, and any effects or abilities it would normally have do not function.

Forced Overload: Though the magic of the individual tends to have the upper hand, it can be overwhelmed. Whenever a creature with a caster level wears any number of magical items, and the sum total of the item's caster level exceeds 2n+5, where n is the creatures caster level, after 48 hours their own magic is suppressed and the magical items function as normal. They are treated as having a caster level of 0 and may not use their spells or spell-like abilities. After enough magical items are removed to drop their combined caster level below the threshold, the creature's innate magic returns after 12 hours. The caster level of slotless magical items does not faction in and is unaffected.

So, how do you think a game with these rules would work? I think it might be interesting, casters do use slotless items, (eager dagger of warning and that armour that protects you from deatheffects from book of exalted deeds, and the bed role that allows them to sleep less, plus thought bottle if you hate your DM), but needing to pay double for their stat boosters and whatnot is a nerf. Not enough to equalize the casters and non-casters I don’t think, but enough to make for an interesting change in the game dynamic I feel. What do you think?

An acknowledgement of the obvious downsides - Classes effectively lost for PCs: Bard, Duskblade, Psychic warrior, Hexblade, plus basically any PrC with full BaB and caster progression or independent casting like Eldritch Knight or Spellsword, and quite a few more. Regrettable, but not a terrible loss I don't think.

Also, its probably worth noting this game would take place in a high magic setting, where slotless magical items can be commissioned in major city, you just need to pay for the item and wait for it to be crafted.

Question mark: Artificer, Binder, Factotum, Ranger and Paladin.
Artificer because its loses infusions, but I don't remember how the class works well enough to know if that lose makes it unplayable. Binders because most vestiges grant spell like abilities, even though they themselves are supernatural. If binding a vestige which grants a spell-like ability drains your magical items, the loss of choice may well kill the class. Perhaps binders should be granted an exception, with the logic that the vestiges grant the spell-like abilities, not the class (yes I have maxxed out mental gymnastics)? Factotums I'm not sure because spell casting is such a small part of their class, they definitely lose something, but perhaps what they have left is enough to carry it? Or maybe they can trade away their spell-like abilities for a version of bards song or the chameleon's floating feats. Rangers I'm not sure. The spell-less variant was a little lackluster, complete champion gave a featless one which could work, and wildshaping was strong I think. I don’t know if Paladins can trade their spellcasting for something worthwhile, but I seem to recall they have a lot of options.
Warlocks, dragonfire adepts and advanced casters may be out as well, depending on the optimization levels of the group, as they lack of the sheer power or versatility to carry them which this nerf.

Variant rules, usable with the above separately or together:
a. Weak Innate Magic: Some people's magic is weak enough that a balance can be reached between their magic and those of the item they wear. Partial-casters (as determined by the DM, no way am I going to try and quantify that term definitely) may war one slotted item, plus 1 per 6 character levels (so 2 at level 7, 3 at level 13 and 4 at level 19).
Would this be enough the partial casters?

b. Magical Harmony: Unlike spells, spell-like abilities are more in harmony with the magic of enchanted items. If a creature with no ability to cast spells, but with a caster level and spell-like abilities wears a slotted magical item, neither their own magic or the item are suppressed and both function as normal.
This will make rich outsiders and dragons the bane of PCs, and therefor might not be a good idea. Barring that, warlock and dragonfire adepts could become a really powerful class with this. Factotums are also back with this.

PhantasyPen
2017-10-18, 04:16 PM
As someone who loves mixing a little magic with my martial action, I just don't think this would work. While at first blush it sounds like a fun idea to control spellcasters, it ultimately feels like it's too punishing to be reasonable.