PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Armor Stealth Penalty - AL

bloodgroove
2017-10-18, 06:12 PM
My cleric wears plate so I get the disadvantage on stealth checks. If I have Boots of Elvenkind does that make it a straight roll or
do I actually get advantage on the stealth check?

MintyNinja
2017-10-18, 06:16 PM
Should be a straight roll. No matter how many Disadvantages you have paired up against any amount of Advantages, they'll equal out to zero.

Naanomi
2017-10-18, 06:19 PM
Advantage and disadvantage cancel eachother out, roll as normal. Note that further advantage or disadvantage won't matter; it will always just be a normal role once 'cancelled' in this way

bloodgroove
2017-10-18, 06:22 PM
thanks y'all....

JackPhoenix
2017-10-18, 11:54 PM
Normal check or disadvantage, depending on situation. Boots of Elvenkind only give advantage on checks to move silently, not against visual or olfactory detection. The later only comes up with some monsters, and there isn't much you can do about it anyway, and to hide in the first place, you'll need to already be behind full cover or heavy obscurement, which blocks line of sight to you, so visual detection won't apply most of the time, but it may happen (lightfoot halflings and wood elves can try to hide even without being heavily obscured, for example, and they would have disadvantage with plate and boots)

RickAllison
2017-10-18, 11:57 PM
thanks y'all....

The reason for this is that while the Boots of Elvenkind may help you move silently, those heavy armors restrict your movement enough that you give away your position in other ways. Things like the the heavy boots kicking around sand or rocks because you can't feel to prevent that, or bumping into a wall so an oomph sound goes out. It is no more obtrusive than anyone else of your proficiency and Dexterity trying to hide, but that average person isn't doing so with cumbersome armor.