PDA

View Full Version : Results in the Playground

Glaivemaster
2007-08-16, 06:08 AM
So, there must be a few playgrounders about from Britain who've just got their A-level results, or are about to get their GCSE's. Lets hear from all of you, so we can celebrate/mourn together

Myself (A-levels):
English Language/Literature: B
History: B
Maths: C

Going to Chester University, or Lancaster if they let me in.

So, how's everyone else done?

Rumda
2007-08-16, 06:20 AM
well my results were
Maths b
chemistry c
human biology d
general studies c
exacly one grade below what I was hoping to get in each one but they let me in to Sheffield uni anyway.

Lancaster is a good uni and a decent, though very small, city but after living here for 18 years it gets kind of old...

Arang
2007-08-16, 06:24 AM
So, there must be a few playgrounders about from Britain who've just got their A-level results, or are about to get their GCSE's. Lets hear from all of you, so we can celebrate/mourn together

Myself (A-levels):
English Language/Literature: B
Maths: C

Going to Chester University, or Lancaster if they let me in.

So, how's everyone else done?

Ha! Don't think I can't see through the hidden marketing! It won't work on me!

Artemician
2007-08-16, 06:38 AM
Whoo.. I'm not due to take my As for another 4 years yet.. and I'm basically skipping my Os and taking some idiotic, school-set, insanely hard paper instead.

And my school results aren't really very encouraging..

English/Literature: 3.6
Math: 2.8
Chinese: 2.4
Science: 4.0
History: 3.6
Geography: 3.2

Overall GPA: 3.27

Eesh.. This is not looking very optimistic.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-16, 07:01 AM
Just got my AS level results (should be in Uni now, honestly. Stupid UK and not accepting US education for uni) and they were disappointing (for me at least, I could have done better.)

History (A, 265/300)
Unit 1 - A (114/120)
Unit 2 - B (63/90 OUCH >.<)
Unit 3 - A (88/90)

Geography (A, 287/300)
Unit 1 - A (97/105)
Unit 2 - A (95/105)
Unit 3 - A (90/90)

English Language/Literature (A, 250/300)
Unit 1 - C (67/105 OUCH again >.<)
Unit 2 - A (105/105)
Unit 3 - A (78/90)

Psychology (C, 208/300 OUCH in general >.<)
Unit 1 - B (78/100)
Unit 2 - B (72/100)
Unit 3 - D (58/100)

General Studies (B, 200/300 Meh, who cares?)
Unit 1 - C (63/100)
Unit 2 - A (100/100)
Unit 3 - E (47/100)

Well, I don't give a rat's rump about General Studies (none of the universities I'm applying for even take it into consideraiton). I'm resitting the Psychology exams though, and resitting the C and B I got in English and History respectively.

Still, I guess it's alright for my first year of actually going through examinations. Being homeschooled for almost my entire life and thus working entirely on assignments and coursework, it was a bit of a culture shock to be put under the stress of such timed conditions. I also would have done a lot better had I not been suffering from clinical depression and been able to do more than about 6 hours' last-minute panic revision before each day of exams.

The psychology grade is disappointing, but after I resit the exams, I will have an A in it, no ifs ands or buts.

For those who are curious, I'm applying to: Oxford, Warwick, St. Andrews, York and Birmingham universities.

LCR
2007-08-16, 08:08 AM
Hm, my A-Levels were last year, so that's kind of old for me (A average), but I would just like to generally cheer about being accepted into Med School.

Therefore: Cheer!

Exachix
2007-08-16, 08:09 AM
These are just my AS results. Not quite A-levels Yet.

General Studies: D
- Unit 1: 50 (D)
- Unit 2: 93 (A) =(
- Unit 3: 30 (U)

Chemistry: C
- Unit 2: 41 (E)
- Unit 3: (Coursework) 74 (C)

+ Unit 1. (done before) Got B.

Physics: B
- Unit 2: 66 (B)
- Unit 3: (Coursework) 93 (B)

+ Unit 1. (done before) Got A.

Maths: A
Note: All modules done are listed here. The ones with *s are Further Maths Modules. These are Not recorded as part of an AS or A-Level until next year..

C1: 100% (A) =D
C2: 100% (A) =D
S1: 89 (B)

FP1*: 59 (D)
M2*: 94 (A) =)
D1*: 81 (B)
M1: 89 (B) (Done for M2*. Will count as mark for next year =D)

I can't find my Results from the first half of the year... Italiced results are my guesses =).

And I did the same I did for GCSEs. Got 100% in two Exams =D.

banjo1985
2007-08-16, 08:10 AM
If general academic cheers are in order then yay for me, Mr uni graduate from Aston. Hurrah, no more education for me!

And congratumalations to all who get there results today and get to where they want to go!

Glaivemaster
2007-08-16, 08:50 AM
Update: Just to say that Lancaster University did let me in on these grades, and I didn't even have to resort to begging

Well done everyone else. Saithis, I'm still gonna say, your results are good, whether you like it or not :smallsmile:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-16, 10:39 AM
Update: Just to say that Lancaster University did let me in on these grades, and I didn't even have to resort to begging

Well done everyone else. Saithis, I'm still gonna say, your results are good, whether you like it or not :smallsmile:

Congratulations, but you're still wrong, whether you accept it or not. :smallbiggrin:

Eldred
2007-08-16, 11:52 AM

Wahey! Congrats Glaivemaster! What are you planning on doing at Uni?

And... congratulations to everyone who got their results today! *pulls party popper* :smallsmile:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-16, 12:08 PM
Wish us GCSE people luck. We don't get ours until the 23rd. Good luck to all. Congrats to Saithis (for Geo at least seeing as you seem happy about that one) and to Exy for overall Okness except General Studies. Does everyone have to do that, because my College never said anything about that and I'm already taking 5 A-Levels in college.:smallconfused:

Nerzi
2007-08-16, 12:20 PM
A level:

English Literature: B
Classical Civilisation: B

I was gutted.
Will have to retake and go to uni next year.

Hoggy
2007-08-16, 12:30 PM
AS.

English Literature: B.
Psychology: C.
History: D.
General Studies: D.
Maths: U.

Yeah, I suck... considering I was expected to get all A's, ain't this a good indicator of things going very wrong. A few comments.

- Got 100% on English coursework (Othello) which more or less saved my results or I'd have had a D in English and probably redone the entire year.
- As it happens, I've only got another 5 exams to resit. Including all next year's work.
- And that's not including the three maths papers I'd have to resit, because I'm dropping it. 36th best young mathmatician in the country my arse... can't even spell it.
- On the subject of maths, mucho apologies to averagejoe, who tried so hard to help me. Sorry I wasted your time, man. :smallfrown:
- :smallfrown:

EDIT:
- I totally don't want my mum to get back from france. Can the ferry tragically sink or something?

Dihan
2007-08-16, 12:36 PM
My AS's:

English Literature: B
Sociology: C
Biology: C
Chemistry: D

I expected worse.

I'm more of a course work person than an exam person... None of my subjects had coursework - my school decided not to do coursework anymore...

Exachix
2007-08-16, 01:01 PM
Wish us GCSE people luck. We don't get ours until the 23rd. Good luck to all. Congrats to Saithis (for Geo at least seeing as you seem happy about that one) and to Exy for overall Okness except General Studies. Does everyone have to do that, because my College never said anything about that and I'm already taking 5 A-Levels in college.:smallconfused:

Curly.
General Studies I tried to avoid. They may make me do it more because I didn't fail it (hence the =( at the A).

Hoggy.
Worry not. Looking at the others you are doing Maths doesn't look to matter much. Are you dropping it?

Eldpollard
2007-08-16, 01:09 PM
My A level results.
Classical civilisations-D
Government and Politics-D
Law-D
General studies-C

As for me, I'm rather lazy. But also filled with apathy so all is well. Funnily enough I got the C in general studies having missed one of the papers.

Glaivemaster
2007-08-16, 01:16 PM
Wahey! Congrats Glaivemaster! What are you planning on doing at Uni?

And... congratulations to everyone who got their results today! *pulls party popper* :smallsmile:

English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (which just means I get to do more Creative Writing :smallsmile: )

General Studies. Does everyone have to do that, because my College never said anything about that and I'm already taking 5 A-Levels in college.

With 5 subjects you might be able to get out of doing General Studies, depending on what your head of college (or whatever) decides.

Seeing as everyone else is listing General Studies:

General Studies: B

We did it all in the second year. I stopped really caring after AS when I did no work and got nearly full marks, but it probably helped a lot in getting my university choice. Won't help many, but Lancaster did specify it as allowed, so that's good. I'll just say that it's probably worth it even if it isn't specified, because a university will choose someone with GS over someone without (blah blah blah etc. you've probably heard it all before)

Congratulations everyone, even if you aren't happy with your grades. At least you got them, I've seen a lot worse today

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-16, 01:22 PM
Congratulations everyone, even if you aren't happy with your grades. At least you got them, I've seen a lot worse today

Heh, it could be a lot worse. I saw someone get 3 U's and a D for their results when they were predicted all Bs and As. Needless to say, the reaction was less than pleasant.

Glaivemaster
2007-08-16, 01:35 PM
Heh, it could be a lot worse. I saw someone get 3 U's and a D for their results when they were predicted all Bs and As. Needless to say, the reaction was less than pleasant.

I saw someone with 2 U's and an E, at full A-level. He wasn't too happy, but at least he'd expected it

Dihan
2007-08-16, 01:41 PM
I didn't do General Studies. No one in my year did.

Nerzi
2007-08-16, 04:59 PM
I got an A in the General Studies paper where, when asked about how to reduce waste and pollution I argued:

Kill every cow in the world, they produce lots of methane and stop making us take this stupid exam, think of all the deforestation and needless waste the question and answer papers are causing for an exam NOBODY wants to do and no decent university will look at the results for.

Examiner must've had a sense of humour

Tom_Violence
2007-08-16, 05:12 PM
Just got my AS level results (should be in Uni now, honestly. Stupid UK and not accepting US education for uni) and they were disappointing (for me at least, I could have done better.)

History (A, 265/300)
Unit 1 - A (114/120)
Unit 2 - B (63/90 OUCH >.<)
Unit 3 - A (88/90)

Geography (A, 287/300)
Unit 1 - A (97/105)
Unit 2 - A (95/105)
Unit 3 - A (90/90)

Unit 1 - C (67/105 OUCH again >.<)
Unit 2 - A (105/105)
Unit 3 - A (78/90)

Unit 1 - B (78/100)
Unit 2 - B (72/100)
Unit 3 - D (58/100)

Unit 1 - C (63/100)
Unit 2 - A (100/100)
Unit 3 - E (47/100)

Well, I don't give a rat's rump about General Studies (none of the universities I'm applying for even take it into consideraiton). I'm resitting the Psychology exams though, and resitting the C and B I got in English and History respectively.

Still, I guess it's alright for my first year of actually going through examinations. Being homeschooled for almost my entire life and thus working entirely on assignments and coursework, it was a bit of a culture shock to be put under the stress of such timed conditions. I also would have done a lot better had I not been suffering from clinical depression and been able to do more than about 6 hours' last-minute panic revision before each day of exams.

The psychology grade is disappointing, but after I resit the exams, I will have an A in it, no ifs ands or buts.

For those who are curious, I'm applying to: Oxford, Warwick, St. Andrews, York and Birmingham universities.

Yikes, someone thinks a lot of themselves. I dare say you'll fit right in if you end up St Andrews, at least. Hell, any of your top three will do you nicely I reckon. :smallamused:

Eldpollard
2007-08-16, 05:13 PM
@^^Nice. In mine the question was about what groups you belonged to. I said that I don't feel as if I belong to one as it's simple tribalistic behavior. But fear not for I shall answer it from the standpoint of a teenage bimbo. every other word was "like" I got 110/120 in that. The examiner must have been bored.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-16, 07:38 PM
English/Literature: A
Math: A
Chinese: A
Science: A
History: A
Geography: A
Chemistry: A
Human biology: A
General studies: A

I wish...*sigh*

Im not british

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-17, 01:37 AM
Yikes, someone thinks a lot of themselves. I dare say you'll fit right in if you end up St Andrews, at least. Hell, any of your top three will do you nicely I reckon. :smallamused:

If thinking that I'm not living up to my potential is thinking a lot of myself, then yeah, alright. I do believe that I'm fully capable of getting an array of As, and I've got a lot of pressure to do so.

bosssmiley
2007-08-17, 01:23 PM

History (A, 265/300)
Geography (A, 287/300)

GJ Saithis. That's a broad subject spread there, so those grades were earned fair and square. Not like getting grades in Maths, Further Maths, Physics (ie: more maths) and Chemistry (ie: maths). :smalltongue:

Well, I don't give a rat's rump about General Studies (none of the universities I'm applying for even take it into consideration). I'm resitting the Psychology exams though, and resitting the C and B I got in English and History respectively.

Endorse your view of General Studies. But re-sits? Vile hedonistic luxury! A sign of decadence in a decaying system. Play the ball where it lies. No do-overs for lightweights and timewasters. This is speaking as someone who never re-sat an exam at GCSE, old school no re-sits A-levels, Uni, post-grad education, or in vocational training. Only exception: my driving test.

(General rule: do it right first time and you don't need to resit. Net result = effort saved + more gaming time :smallcool: )

No-one ever revises enough before their exams, and everyone always does fine despite the lack of revision: this is an immutable law of nature. Revision is over-rated anyway. Like 3 weeks cramming will ever take the place of 2-3 years of proper grounding and intensive full-time training in the subjects.

"Waaaaah, I haven't revised!" :smalleek:
"By now you shouldn't even need to." :smalltongue:

Good attitude. A C grade (although perfectly respectable in itself) is really little more a spur in the ribs to a student who can do better.

What ya wanting to read at uni'?
Please not Oxford though (*spit*)

Yikes, someone thinks a lot of themselves.

There is no inherent virtue in selling yourself short. If you are that good, you have the right to say so, and to h£ll with the frail over-puffed egos that can't cope with it! Who but a churl or a villain wants to be surrounded by mediocrities? :smallannoyed:

Jibar
2007-08-17, 01:31 PM
No-one ever revises enough before their exams, and everyone always does fine despite the lack of revision: this is an immutable law of nature. Revision is over-rated anyway. Like 3 weeks cramming will ever take the place of 2-3 years of proper grounding and intensive full-time training in the subjects.

Aaahhh Boss. This is but one of the many reasons why when I rebuild the Empire, I'm gonna let you take your pic of land.

bosssmiley
2007-08-17, 01:40 PM
Aaahhh Boss. This is but one of the many reasons why when I rebuild the Empire, I'm gonna let you take your pic of land.

I ain't greedy. I just want a little bit of land to call my own. I was thinking...Old Northumbria (http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/image/england/england2/mapsengl/msh8th.jpg) (the delicious light blue bit), the rest is a bit *meh*.

pic of land, in both senses: done. :smallwink:

Syka
2007-08-17, 01:46 PM
Congrats to everyone!

Anyone get AP scores back from over here in the States?

I got my grade from Greek 2, which I took over the summer, and it was an A. Yay, my predictions of failing out of my major are so far false...but then again I don't begin the upper level course work until this term...:)

Cheers,
Syka

Tom_Violence
2007-08-17, 02:36 PM
There is no inherent virtue in selling yourself short. If you are that good, you have the right to say so, and to h£ll with the frail over-puffed egos that can't cope with it! Who but a churl or a villain wants to be surrounded by mediocrities? :smallannoyed:

I know there's no virtue in selling yourself short, and I'd never suggest that. That's just daft. But there's a line between honestly and arrogance, and here I think that line that line has been left in the dust. (Though credit for doing the arrogance in the traditional English way - "3 As, yeah I guess that's not too bad...")

I've no desire to be surrounded by the mediocre, but nor do I seek out those that have a fondness for exercising their 'right' to tout their acheivements. If you do well, have the strength to stand up and say "I did well!" There's no need to shuffle your feet and say "yeah i guess it was okay..." And even worse is to say "Well?! You think I did well?! Pah! This is not nearly good enough for me! A genius am I and better things do I deserve!", cos I know countless people that would be more than happy to get 3 As, a B and a C at AS level.

Oh, and what's wrong with Oxford? A place like that on your CV does no one any harm.

I do agree with you on the resit issue - get it right first time, unless you've got a major reason for doing worse on the exam than you should've.

zeratul
2007-08-17, 03:08 PM
My cumulative average for the year was an 89 out of 100.

I remember having a constant 100 average in english, high grades in History, medium in Science, and Math. I can't remember them exactly.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-17, 03:16 PM
GJ Saithis. That's a broad subject spread there, so those grades were earned fair and square. Not like getting grades in Maths, Further Maths, Physics (ie: more maths) and Chemistry (ie: maths). :smalltongue:

Haha, well, to be fair, I'm going to drop Psychology (gonna organise it with my teachers, who adore me, so that I drop it after Uni applications have already been sent in, that way they get a predicted grade from my teachers and not a 'final' AS grade.) and I'm hoping to take Maths as another AS level. I live with someone who graduated from Warwick with a degree with honours in Maths, he's addicted to Maths, and he told me 'hell, don't even go to your lessons, I'll just teach you everything you need to know at home and save you a lot of time. It'll be like a free A level." And I've always had a good head for Maths, and I enjoy it. Keeping everything else though. Maybe AS Further Maths too, if they'll let me. I'm gonna be so freaking demanding, and thankfully my school isn't very strict and all the teachers love me. :3

Endorse your view of General Studies. But re-sits? Vile hedonistic luxury! A sign of decadence in a decaying system. Play the ball where it lies. No do-overs for lightweights and timewasters. This is speaking as someone who never re-sat an exam at GCSE, old school no re-sits A-levels, Uni, post-grad education, or in vocational training. Only exception: my driving test.

(General rule: do it right first time and you don't need to resit. Net result = effort saved + more gaming time :smallcool: )

Oh yes, I agree with you. I've never had the luxury of resits before, and now that I do, I'm going to use and abuse it for AS levels, the only year I'll really get to. Not going to need to for proper A levels though, I'm not going to let myself get less than an array of As for that. I've got no time to resit for that. Oh, and as I mentioned, this was my first year of doing actual exams. I've never had any test longer than ten minutes before, so this was a completely unfamiliar and very stressful environment for me. I'm very glad to have the resits, because my very first exam (the D in psychology) ended up with me panicking and freezing up. :3

True, but I literally didn't do ANY revision other than glance over my notes in a panic upon realising the exam was the next day. However, I was suffering from severe depression at the time, so studying and paying attention in lessons wasn't really top of my game plan. I will dominate the school next year.

Good attitude. A C grade (although perfectly respectable in itself) is really little more a spur in the ribs to a student who can do better.

Funny, 'cause I was raised to believe that Cs were for failures, and that if I got a C, I was a failure. Not saying anybody here is a failure, I don't judge you all on your scores. I just judge myself. But yeah, I'm gonna treat it like a prod in the ribs to do better.

What ya wanting to read at uni'?
Please not Oxford though (*spit*)

I'll be taking History, and yeah, I'm applying to Oxford. If I've got the grades and I've got the abilities, why not? It's one of the best (if not the best) universities in the world for History, my favoured subject, and if I do get in, it's a world-renowned university. Any employer in my future career path will know the name 'Oxford' and understand that it is a prestigious university.

I am good enough to receive nothing but straight As on every exam. I am disappointed with my results. My results are not bad, no, they are quite good. However, these are not as good as I personally can do, thus my disappointment. I am not going to 'hide' my disappointment simply because it'll make someone feel better. And Tom_Violence thinks I am arrogant? If so, I just lol'd. One who thinks I am arrogant because I was disappointed in my exam results misunderstands me and my intent, or more likely, just does not know the whole picture. I'm not an arrogant person, and it hurts me to be called one.

bosssmiley
2007-08-17, 04:02 PM
I know there's no virtue in selling yourself short, and I'd never suggest that. That's just daft. But there's a line between honestly and arrogance, and here I think that line that line has been left in the dust.

Arrogance? THIS! IS! ENGLAND!!! :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, fair play, I completely overstated the case for rhetorical effect. Must remember to get that corrective surgery to get my tongue removed from my cheek sometime. :smallamused:

Oh, and what's wrong with Oxford? A place like that on your CV does no one any harm.

Yeah, again, rhetorical overstatement. But Oxford's hardly a proper university, like what Cambridge is. :smallwink:

(declaration of interest: Eggy was dragged up in the festering fens and stinking marshlands of Cambridgeshire before moving as far from Oxford as possible, while still remaining in England)

I'll be taking History, and yeah, I'm applying to Oxford. If I've got the grades and I've got the abilities, why not? It's one of the best (if not the best) universities in the world for History, my favoured subject, and if I do get in, it's a world-renowned university. Any employer in my future career path will know the name 'Oxford' and understand that it is a prestigious university.

All joking aside. Reading History at Oxford: "woah!" Given my time again Eggy would kill for the chance.
Good luck Saithis, and, if needs be, ask the Mods to temp ban you until July '08.

Om
2007-08-17, 04:13 PM
My cousin got his Leaving Cert (Irish equivalent) results this week and was very pleasantly surprised. He's not planning on going to uni but it was still great to see him get very respectable results. Especially given the odds stacked against him.

Like 3 weeks cramming will ever take the place of 2-3 years of proper grounding and intensive full-time training in the subjects.I've gotten by on three days of cramming before. Despite being completely incapable of study (and scraping through every exam for the past decade) I should be collecting my Masters degree in a month or two. Funny, no?

Last_resort_33
2007-08-19, 07:06 AM
Just thought that I'd post Em's results on her behalf, as she is quite shy.

English Language: A
English Lit: A
History: A
General Studies: A

Ceres
2007-08-19, 07:20 AM
Er... 60.5 out of 60-70. Wacky Norwegian grades.

Hoggy
2007-08-19, 08:18 AM
Funny, 'cause I was raised to believe that Cs were for failures, and that if I got a C, I was a failure.

BINGO!

Ladies and Gentlemen, there's the reason I don't like my results.

Ceres
2007-08-19, 09:21 AM
Funny, 'cause I was raised to believe that Cs were for failures, and that if I got a C, I was a failure. Not saying anybody here is a failure, I don't judge you all on your scores. I just judge myself. But yeah, I'm gonna treat it like a prod in the ribs to do better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how good a grade is varies greatly from country, and that they have similar names can cause quite a bit of confusion. In Norwegian universities C is the average grade and A is a very rare grade indeed. Not even E is considered a failure (A grade I believe you can't even get in the US), which is reserved for F. This can become problematic when discussing grades across the borders.

Glaivemaster
2007-08-19, 09:50 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how good a grade is varies greatly from country, and that they have similar names can cause quite a bit of confusion. In Norwegian universities C is the average grade and A is a very rare grade indeed. Not even E is considered a failure (A grade I believe you can't even get in the US), which is reserved for F. This can become problematic when discussing grades across the borders.

That's pretty much the same here as well. C should be average, and As are hard to get. E is the lowest possible grade, apart from U (unclassified) which is a fail

However, getting into somewhere like Oxford is hard, and will require extremely high grades i.e. all A grades, and good ones at that, as well as interviews etc. That means Saithis needs much better than C's. Doesn't mean they're bad grades however, just not what is needed

Last_resort_33
2007-08-19, 02:38 PM
That's pretty much the same here as well. C should be average, and As are hard to get. E is the lowest possible grade, apart from U (unclassified) which is a fail

However, getting into somewhere like Oxford is hard, and will require extremely high grades i.e. all A grades, and good ones at that, as well as interviews etc. That means Saithis needs much better than C's. Doesn't mean they're bad grades however, just not what is needed

Yup, C is meant to be average... I got into university with a C, a D and an E, which are still passes, out of about 250 people taking 3-4 A levels, about 10 achieved 3 or more As

Tom_Violence
2007-08-19, 05:38 PM

Hehe, even then you might not get in. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6949582.stm) At the end of the day it is, ultimately, a lottery.

Eldpollard
2007-08-19, 05:38 PM
Nationwide it's about three in ten that get three As.

Last_resort_33
2007-08-20, 02:13 AM
Nationwide it's about three in ten that get three As.

Not quite, about a third of people get an A, lots of people get this wrong, mainly because the wording that it is often given in on the news "around a third of people have achieved 'A's".

Glaivemaster
2007-08-20, 05:32 AM
Hehe, even then you might not get in. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6949582.stm) At the end of the day it is, ultimately, a lottery.

Well it's not just a matter of grades of course. Like I said, Oxbridge applicants generally have to be interviewed, and can often be rejected on the grounds of not being as interesting as other people. Sure, these people are clever, but if they aren't very well-rounded people, universities might not like to include them

Ceres
2007-08-20, 05:51 AM

It was the same thing with psychology in Oslo in the old system. Thank God this is the first year to use the new system :smallsmile:

Jibar
2007-08-23, 05:40 AM
GCSE results were today, and I gots mine.

English Lang: A*
English Lit: B
Maths: B
Science: BB
Ethics: B
ICT: C
History: C
Geography: B
Drama: C
Critical Thinking: E

The English Lang is a huuuuuge surprise, considering this is the lesson I didn't do any work in. Seriously, over the course of two years, I did about five of the pices she set during lesson, none of the homeworks, and my coursework was terrible.
Having looked it up, I was two marks off an A in my Maths Exam, and I was on the borderline with my coursework.
The History is a disappointment. My coursework was brilliant, my mocks were brilliant, but apparantly my actual exam wasn't. A friend who did History however said he did the exact same thing, so I feel a bit better.
Critical Thinking is no surprise, and I don't really mind. It was a free AS Level anyway.

Overall though, I got an A* I got an A*! Glee!

Eldred
2007-08-23, 05:51 AM
Just got my GCSE results from school, ripped open the envelope and.....

English Lang: A*
Media Studies: A*
Maths: A
Science: A/A
Business and Comm Studies: B
Applied Business: D :smallbiggrin:
ICT: A

I had done the English Lang a year early and already knew the result - it's by far my best subject. But the Media? Holy carp, I did not expect that!

I hated App Business from Day 1, so it became my gaming/doss lesson. I'm impressed I even got a D grade. :smallsmile:

Hoggy
2007-08-23, 06:06 AM
Jibar, I get you on the history. I got an A in my history mocks, but only a C as my final grade, which I was a bit miffed at. They still let me do history at A level though, so -meh-. :smallwink: Congrats on the results!

Eldred, it's people like you I hate for making people like me look stupid :smalltongue:

Ikkitosen
2007-08-23, 06:36 AM
Congrats everyone. I remember getting my results (12 years ago...). Ah, good mixed times. [Insert obligatory comment about everything being easier these days :smalltongue:]

PlatinumJester
2007-08-23, 07:00 AM
Maths - C
English Language + Literature - B
History - B (shoulda been an A but oh well)
Japanese - B (I wrote 2 sentances. Easiest B ever)
Drama - C
German - C
Science - Double B
Graphics - E (big improvement from the mocks)
ICT - F

Jibar I know your disapointment with History. I got an A in my mocks but only got a B in the real thing. Stupid Suffragettes.

Dib
2007-08-23, 07:21 AM
There was already one of these Threads? Why did no one tell me? lol...

Anyway, got my GCSE results today

English Language - B
English Literature - B
Mathematics - A
Science Double - B B
DT - B
ICT - C
Art Double - D D

I'm kind of upset about the Art, I was predicted a C/B by my teacher and its one of my favourite subjects and something I've had fun doing since I was tiny... oh well...

Edit: Although, Double D :smallwink: maybe a premonition of teh fyoucha?

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-23, 07:26 AM
Now I feel really guilty.

Eng Lang: A*
Eng Lit: A*
Dbl Science: A* A*
History: A*
Geography: A*
French: A
RE: A
Math: B :( I was expecting an A/A* here but I don't relly care about Math anyway.

AS Level Sociology: B (This is good and I'm not retaking anything here because this was a bonus really)
Unit 1: B (74/100)
Unit 2: A (95/100
Unit 3: C (59/100)

So overall it's not bad. And did you hear about AQA Mdia Studies? They screwed up the results so what you were given as a result is NOT actually your result at all.:smallamused: Figures really.

banjo1985
2007-08-23, 07:26 AM
I'm kind of upset about the Art, I was predicted a C/B by my teacher and its one of my favourite subjects and something I've had fun doing since I was tiny... oh well...

Don't worry about it Dib, I did GCSE Art (several years ago admittedly) and that subject has no relevance to how well you can draw or paint or sculpt or anything else! There's a ridiculous amount of focus on written work and learning about the artist....and if all you want to do is actually, you know, create art, the results aren't kind! However it gets better at A-Level (my girlfriend took it and enjoyed it) not so much written work there, so you'd probably get more chance to do what you enjoy!

EDIT - Oh and Curly those results are awesome! Stroll onto a college with them and they'll be locking the doors to stop you getting away!

Wraithy
2007-08-23, 07:32 AM
English C
English lit B
Mathematics C
Drama C
Applied ICT G
Applied Science E
French C
German C
History B
Graphic Products E

All of the ones I got Es for are waste subjects, a rediculously high amount of coursework and a rediculously low amout of use in the real world. for graphics we spent two years trying to make chocolate boxes, we did, aparently we had to write a 2000 page analysis of cardboard too.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-23, 07:52 AM
Both Graphics groups in my school had no teacher for 1/2 of the time.

Tom_Violence
2007-08-23, 08:08 AM
Well it's not just a matter of grades of course. Like I said, Oxbridge applicants generally have to be interviewed, and can often be rejected on the grounds of not being as interesting as other people. Sure, these people are clever, but if they aren't very well-rounded people, universities might not like to include them

I'm well aware of that - Oxbridge generally interviews about 85% of applicants last time I checked (so someone just getting an interview there isn't something to be overly pleased about). And I know the process there is pretty tough. But its more than that - Oxbridge has a huge amount of demographics it has to fill, due to it having received huge criticsm in the past for only accepting students from a fairly small number of top public schools (something that it still gets flak for). So you can have great grades and a great interview technique, but you're still not necessarily gonna get a place.

Glaivemaster
2007-08-23, 08:10 AM
Wahey - congratulations everyone. Some of you are putting my GCSE results to shame.

Everyone seems to be disappointed about History. When we all get poor results in a subject we have two scapegoats: bad paper or dodgy examiner. Was it a bad paper or something?

EDIT: @Tom: Yeah, that's true as well. I was more getting at the father of the person just because his extremely intelligent child didn't get into the uni, and expecting her to get in just on her grades.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-23, 08:38 AM
I loved that histroy paper (AQA board). Our History teacher was brilliant; he was sarcastic, made everything interesting and we went on so many tangents. I checked out nearly everybobys' History results for my class. The lowest result there was a C.
It depends on teachers, whether you did the cartoons (we did about 30 for our Suffragettes/Home Front/other for each section) and if you revised well. We all did because we had fun, liked the teacher and the subject. Although Suffragettes as a subject are annoying. But think on this: You could have had Liberal Government...:smalleek:

Dr. Bath
2007-08-23, 11:38 AM
Looks like I'm up next:

English Lit: A
English Lang: A
D.V.A: A
Greek: A
Latin: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A*
Mathematics: A*
German: B

and Additional maths: A, but that's the highest grade. It's sort of like an AS level. But not.

I was pleased with most of my grades, the only annoyance is that I didn't get A*s in Physics or Chemistry, two subjects I was predicted A*s pretty much for two years. That and I missed out on an A in German by four marks.

Overall, however.... Huzzah!

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-23, 11:50 AM
What's DVA? And you're lucky. You got to take 12 GCSEs, including two I really wanted to take (Latin and Grek. Is it Ancient or normal?)
And your results are great. I wish I actually bothered to, you know, care about Math. Then I might have got an A.
*is humbled by all those As*

EDIT: Hold on, did you take triple science?

Dr. Bath
2007-08-23, 12:09 PM
D.V.A is Design and Visual arts, it's half D.T and half art. You also have to get something like 98% for an A*. I actually did Latin last year and greek this year, which is how I could do the extra Gcses. And yes, I did do triple science, I think it was the course work that brought down my grades in Physics and Chemistry. I'm sucky at coursework.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-23, 12:24 PM
You're lucky then. I wasn't alowwed to take GCSEs early and our school gave us crummy options, and far too many BTECs and Diplomas. We also wasted a double every Wednesday (when we could do another GCSE) on some qualification that gets you a Grade B max. Noone even liked the qualification; not even the teachers.
And some of my friends took something similar to a DVA: Art and Design thing. it's about the same.

And coursework is evil. I did really well on all my courseworks. I think for all my lessons the worst mark I got was A*. Whivh makes me sound so geeky and boastful. But I hated doing it, especially Geo fieldwork. I think the only lessons I enjoyed doing coursework for was English Lang, Eng Lit and History. History because the majority of us went to the Somme on a trip so we could use what we learned there.

Dr. Bath
2007-08-23, 12:38 PM
Uggh, Geography coursework was horrible! I went to Cambridge in the rain and everyone just yelled at me when I tried to give them a questionaire. Over an entire day my group got two questionaires filled out. Two. We ended up having to write something like 30 pages and I still got something like 18 out of 30. Bah! Geography coursework was not fun, but the rest of the course was.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-23, 12:45 PM
Did anyone else who didn't go to my school (you know who you are) do the Diployme de Citroen?

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-23, 12:47 PM
We had to do fieldwork about a river. (AQA board) It sucked. I was the only one in my area so I had to get my brother (in Y9) to help me. Then I had to walk from the source to the mouth of the river. And because of the wat the river went I had to find different place to do the tests. Then write about it in the conclusion/evaluation. I did get 28 out of 30 though so I guess it impressed the person checking it.

Dib
2007-08-23, 01:07 PM
Don't worry about it Dib, I did GCSE Art (several years ago admittedly) and that subject has no relevance to how well you can draw or paint or sculpt or anything else! There's a ridiculous amount of focus on written work and learning about the artist....and if all you want to do is actually, you know, create art, the results aren't kind! However it gets better at A-Level (my girlfriend took it and enjoyed it) not so much written work there, so you'd probably get more chance to do what you enjoy!

Cheers Banjo :D I hope A Level Art is good... I just need to put together a portfolio to show the college and hopefully I'll get in, seeing as how I needed at least B in Art to get it... D is not a B or better :smalltongue: