PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kandra (Playable Race) (WIP)

Kaskus
2017-10-19, 12:51 AM
This is my attempt at taking the Kandra from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and making a playable race. I really like the idea of a playable ooze race. Let me know what you think...

KANDRA
Medium Aberration (Ooze)
+2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Int
Base Speed: 30
Languages: Common & Kandran
Blind but Blindsight 30 ft.
Kandra breathe and eat but do not sleep.I
Partial Ooze Traits:
- Immunity to poison, sleep & stun effects

RACIAL TRAITS
Take On Bones (Ex): A Amanda's body has no structure but they can "borrow" the structure of other creatures. In a process taking 10 minutes, the kandra absorbs the skeleton of a deceased creature, shaping its body into that creature's form. If the flesh of the cadaver is in tact, the kandra may "fill" it to fully take on that creature's appearance. This ability functions as the spell Assume Appearance (if humanoid with flesh intact) or Beast Shape (if animal). A kandra using a skeleton without flesh takes on the shape appropriate to the creature from which the skeleton came but their body remains transparent with the skeleton visible within.

Blessing (Su): Choose One:
- Blessing of Awareness: The kandra's blindsight is increased to 60 ft. & they gain a +2 racial bonus to Perception checks.
- Blessing of Potency: The kandra gains damage reduction 5/magic
- Blessing of Presence: The kandra gains an extra skill point at every level.
- Blessing of Stability: The kandra gains a +2 racial bonus to saves against fear and despair effects as well as +2 to Will saves vs charm and compulsion effects. Additionally, once per day if the kandra rolls a natural one on such a save, they may reroll it.

RACIAL FEATS
Extra Blessing: You gain a second blessing. This feat may be selected multiple times, applying to a different blessing each time.

NOTES
1. Stats are based on a humanoid skeleton. Need to figure out how they are affected if without a skeleton. I'm thinking...
- Speed reduced to 20
- Penalties to Str & Dex (-2 / -2)
- Enhanced Ooze Traits: Not subject to crits or precision damage, not subject to flanking, immunity to paralysis & immunity to polymorph.
- Cannot wear armor or wield weapons.

2. In the novels, there are some kandra that use manufactured skeletons made of wood or gold or other exotic materials. I'd like to figure out rules for making those (& enchanting them?).

3. Should they have a natural acid attack like a generic ooze?

4. In the novels, the blessings are granted via special metal spikes (the magic system is based on metals in that world). Should they be a special item then rather than inherent? This would make them able to be lost / gained. For example, a kandra in the novels gains a blessing after killing another kandra and taking it. Not sure if that's advantageous or disadvantageous.

Please P.E.A.C.H. away. Thanks!