PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Any decent online 5e character builder?

Pinjata
2017-10-19, 01:03 AM
For years I have used pathguys's site and it served me nicely. Now, as we are preparing for a new campaign after about a year, I noticed, it is offline. :( Anoyne has any other ideas where to online quickly build your characters? Not by downloading some silly Excels or similar stuff?

furryblueelf
2017-10-19, 03:59 AM
I am not sure if we can do a direct link, but try googling orcpub2 dot com.

furryblueelf
2017-10-19, 04:02 AM
I am not sure if we can do a direct link, but try googling orcpub2.

Spacehamster
2017-10-19, 07:00 AM
I use fight club if we are talking apps, just on the interwebs I'm not sure.

Cybren
2017-10-19, 07:13 AM
I use an excel sheet called Forged Anvil, http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?427158-ForgedAnvil-D-amp-D-5E-Character-Generator

Deleted
2017-10-19, 08:24 AM
Check the Google play store, the "5th Edition Character Sheet" (Green D20) is pretty awesome.

Zanthy1
2017-10-19, 09:52 AM
DnD Beyond

Deleted
2017-10-19, 10:44 AM
DnD Beyond

It bugs me that they use the Deva image for Aasimars in the character builder.

Zanthy1
2017-10-19, 11:10 AM
It bugs me that they use the Deva image for Aasimars in the character builder.

Ok....then don't make aasimars? The system is great and it is nice that it is officially licensed content from WoTC

LordEntrails
2017-10-19, 11:56 AM
The only one that legally has more than the SRD content is DnD Beyond. So if you want more than the SRD and you don't want to be a criminal, your choice for an online builder exists of 1 :)

Deleted
2017-10-19, 01:18 PM
Ok....then don't make aasimars? The system is great and it is nice that it is officially licensed content from WoTC

There are a lot of other issues with it, but that just shows the laziness WotC has always put into things.

The way it has you build characters is weird. Instwas of making it one complete process, it's blocky and even sub options are out of order... Like when you choose variant human the choices for ability score bonus isn't Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha... Which really is weird.

Honestly after making quite a few characters with it, D&D Beyond character creator is a big no. I rather use the SRD sites as D&D Beyond doesn't really streamline or give me anything useful that I don't already have.

Such potential wasted again. Really if they took notes from the 4e character builder and let me see a preview of the character I'm making, as I'm making it, it would get a passable grade from me.

But I guess this is what happens when you rely on others to hold your online info amd tools for so long, you're way behind the game when you do attempt to make something.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-19, 01:39 PM
For years I have used pathguys's site and it served me nicely. Now, as we are preparing for a new campaign after about a year, I noticed, it is offline. :( Anoyne has any other ideas where to online quickly build your characters? Not by downloading some silly Excels or similar stuff?

I just went to Pathguy, and it still worked for me. Of course it hasn't been updated in years.

I use the MPMB PDF from the DMsguild. It's got scripts that fill in character data for you, and is up to date with all published content and UA content.

Beaureguard
2017-10-19, 01:59 PM
DnD Beyond

I really wanted to use this, but I'm not willing to pay full price for digital materials when I've already purchased the physical products. I'd have been more willing to pay 20 bucks for the program and used my stuff to unlock content than spending another 200+ dollars just to use a convenient tool.

Desteplo
2017-10-19, 02:02 PM
I use the 5th edition character sheet app
-the one with the big green die as the main picture

8wGremlin
2017-10-19, 02:24 PM
D&D Beyond, is *expletive* expensive, has bad UX (user experience) doesn't offer all the classes, feats, spells and features
is poorly designed and put together.

if i was WoTC I would look at some of the other tools that people have created and select one and then sanction it with some kind of deal.

But no they slap Cease and Desist orders and close down everything (which is their right), but it doesn't open up the hobby, it limits it.

They don't embrace the digital age, and scrabble to make money any way they can.
There are other provable ways of making more money that they currently do, in a more open and inclusive way.

But they don't seem to learn...

mephnick
2017-10-19, 02:35 PM
WotC should have just hired the OrcPub 2 guy, ditched Beyond and saved everyone a lot of stupid problems. It's sad when some dude on his spare time can make a better program than a major company can.

Deleted
2017-10-19, 04:42 PM
WotC should have just hired the OrcPub 2 guy, ditched Beyond and saved everyone a lot of stupid problems. It's sad when some dude on his spare time can make a better program than a major company can.

Story of WotC's digital life.

I'm honestly impressed with how inept they can be.

Foff
2017-10-27, 01:26 PM
also Orcpub2 doesn't work anymore for me, it's still there and all, but only the SDR content without even all the feats and stuff, it used to have all UA content and more up until a week ago, but i just logged in today and found most of the stuff got deleted

Waterdeep Merch
2017-10-27, 03:13 PM
Story of WotC's digital life.

I'm honestly impressed with how inept they can be.
The weird thing is, their tools for 4e were actually very good (ignoring the monthly service fee thing...). I used homemade stuff back during 3.x and still do when I play Pathfinder, but I never found a better form of 4e tools than the official ones. I'm sure someone's about to say 'wrong, I used X and it was way better!', to which I'll point back to the fact that I never saw X. I might never have really played 4e without them.

Maybe that actually means they were terrible. Anyhow-

I understand that the modern D&D team is very small and short on manpower, but their attempts at subcontracting for 5e have been absolutely horrendous. It's really here that you can see all the damage that's been done to the brand since 4e, since all those useful third parties that used to make great licensed materials and aids for them are long gone.

It could be years before we see an official application for 5e that's worth using. Except maybe Fantasy Grounds, if you're into that. And have deep pockets.

Deleted
2017-10-27, 03:55 PM
The weird thing is, their tools for 4e were actually very good (ignoring the monthly service fee thing...). I used homemade stuff back during 3.x and still do when I play Pathfinder, but I never found a better form of 4e tools than the official ones. I'm sure someone's about to say 'wrong, I used X and it was way better!', to which I'll point back to the fact that I never saw X. I might never have really played 4e without them.

Maybe that actually means they were terrible. Anyhow-

I understand that the modern D&D team is very small and short on manpower, but their attempts at subcontracting for 5e have been absolutely horrendous. It's really here that you can see all the damage that's been done to the brand since 4e, since all those useful third parties that used to make great licensed materials and aids for them are long gone.

It could be years before we see an official application for 5e that's worth using. Except maybe Fantasy Grounds, if you're into that. And have deep pockets.

4e's digital stuff had a lot of problems but was a great first step...

The original download builder was amazing but had its issues. Not needing an internet connection was great and it was less buggy than the later builder...

However it wasn't anything special except that it was from WotC. It looked great, for the most part, but left a lot of potential on the table... Especially because of all the things that were talked about. The fact it was suspposed to have a character generator like you get in videogames really makes me salty.

4e was meant to be supported with a whole bunch of features but they never came to life :(, mostly because Hasbro suit stuff (omg invisible pirates that aren't stealing anything... But there are pirates out there!).

4e character builder was a great first step since they were terrible during 3e... Too bad they regressed during 4e's time and continue to be inept.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-27, 04:45 PM
also Orcpub2 doesn't work anymore for me, it's still there and all, but only the SDR content without even all the feats and stuff, it used to have all UA content and more up until a week ago, but i just logged in today and found most of the stuff got deleted

Yep. It looks like orcpub is down to the SRD content just like any free character builder. Even my previously saved characters have been reduced.

Farewell friends. So many of you I didn't even get to play.

Deleted
2017-10-27, 08:40 PM
Yep. It looks like orcpub is down to the SRD content just like any free character builder. Even my previously saved characters have been reduced.

Farewell friends. So many of you I didn't even get to play.

Wait, so you're mad that a company is making something, protecting their product, and expect you to pay them if you want access to their product/want more of their product?

As inept as WotC/Hasbro can be, I won't fault them for protecting their product and selling their material.

tkuremento
2017-10-27, 09:14 PM
Wait, so you're mad that a company is making something, protecting their product, and expect you to pay them if you want access to their product/want more of their product?

As inept as WotC/Hasbro can be, I won't fault them for protecting their product and selling their material.

I think they mean they had character ideas and concepts saved on the website and if they had features or content not in the SRD they suddenly disappeared from the character. Those concepts are now, more or less, deleted.

mephnick
2017-10-27, 11:30 PM
I loved orcpub2 but the guy is pretty dumb. Not only was he providing restricted WotC content...he was monetizing it. Then he acted like he had no idea he was doing anything wrong.

I'm no fan of WotC's online ideas, but I can't believe the guy wasn't shut down immediately.

LordEntrails
2017-10-28, 12:51 AM
I loved orcpub2 but the guy is pretty dumb. Not only was he providing restricted WotC content...he was monetizing it. Then he acted like he had no idea he was doing anything wrong.
Lots of people are totally clueless about intellectual property. They shouldn't be. But if I think back to my formal education, the closest we ever got to it was in English class and talking about plagiarism and proper citation.

Not that ignorance is an excuse, but it's not surprising.

vehementi
2017-10-28, 01:42 PM
The best current one I've seen is CharForge

It is hilarious how inept WotC is. And how they make you re-buy your digital stuff makes me feel like it's unethical to give them money at all. Their employees must be so embarrassed by their upper management's decisions. Like can you imagine Mike Mearls having to keep eye contact with you as he tried to defend WotC decisions? lol

Sigreid
2017-10-28, 01:49 PM
D&D Beyond, is *expletive* expensive, has bad UX (user experience) doesn't offer all the classes, feats, spells and features
is poorly designed and put together.

if i was WoTC I would look at some of the other tools that people have created and select one and then sanction it with some kind of deal.

But no they slap Cease and Desist orders and close down everything (which is their right), but it doesn't open up the hobby, it limits it.

They don't embrace the digital age, and scrabble to make money any way they can.
There are other provable ways of making more money that they currently do, in a more open and inclusive way.

But they don't seem to learn...

Because of the way IP law works if they don't do the cease and desist or form an official relationship they lose their rights.

Deleted
2017-10-28, 06:50 PM
Because of the way IP law works if they don't do the cease and desist or form an official relationship they lose their rights.

Yup, surprising how many people don't know this.

Though, WotC should really learn a thing or two from Sega. Don't shut out these people, hire them. Do the best and get the job.

But then again Hasbro is still using WotC as if it's a toy line.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-29, 02:01 AM

Nope. Not mad at all, just a little sorrowful. I like that great-weapon wielding Revised Ranger I made. I had uploaded a pretty cool Portrait for him too.

furby076
2017-10-30, 10:04 PM
I have used herolabs for years. Love it. Also, its fully customizable and has many community files. Heck, i worked with 2 others to make mystic, v3, and its available and working for any subscribers.

flat, one time fee. It can support many editions

furby076
2017-10-30, 10:07 PM
Yup, surprising how many people don't know this.

Though, WotC should really learn a thing or two from Sega. Don't shut out these people, hire them. Do the best and get the job.

But then again Hasbro is still using WotC as if it's a toy line.

Actually, its not surprising at all. Just cause you know it, and others know it, doesnt mean the vast majority know it.

Given that, i buy books, then have to pay for content again? I still believe if i buy the book, it should come with pdf.