PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Cleric Feats Help?

wookietek
2017-10-19, 12:01 PM
I have a player in my game that is playing a LG sword and board cleric in a lower OP game. She does not want to play around with metamagic at this time; don't ask, it is what it is. I am able to nerf necessary encounters to make the whole party feel worthwhile as a team, but I want her to be character to be able to pop within her concept. What are some of the better feats for this in a 1-20 build? She's at 13th level now. Any book is available except no Dragon Mag or ToB.

ATHATH
2017-10-19, 12:05 PM
Why do you disallow ToB material?

PhantasyPen
2017-10-19, 12:08 PM
Hmm, I can't think of anything in particular from ToB that would help, but I'm always sad to see it banned. :smallfrown: Hmm, well there's Extra Turning, and if she(?) wants to try counterspelling I recommend Divine Defiance. ... Actually, just load 'em up with Divine/Devotion feats and Extra turning, that way if you encounter undead they can just turn 'em, and for everything else those Turn Undeads will fuel their divine feats to make free self-buffs.

GilesTheCleric
2017-10-19, 12:10 PM
It sounds like the player might appreciate Karmic Strike or Robilar's Gambit. Devotion feats are probably an ideal choice if they're not using their turns for anything. Is the character pretty focused on buffing then wading into melee?

Nifft
2017-10-19, 12:56 PM
PHB2 has Shield Specialization + Shield Ward, which mildly increase a shield's bonus and allow you to add it to your touch AC and a bunch of other defensive checks. Nice synergy with Divine Shield (Comp. Warrior) if she has a high Charisma.

Lords of Madness has Parrying Shield, which gets you shield to touch AC but none of the defensive checks, but also doesn't have a prereq. Same nice synergy with Divine Shield (Comp. Warrior) if she has a high Charisma.

Sandstorm has Priest of the Wastes, which allows non-Domain slots to be spontaneously converted into wilderness survival spells. Frostburn has Arctic Priest which is similar but has a smaller list. If she's really bad at picking spells for the day, this might help, especially the resist elements and protection from elements pair.

Eldariel
2017-10-19, 01:15 PM
Appropriate Devotion (Law?) from Complete Champion. With Cleric bonuses, even onehanded Power Attack can be okay. Perhaps also some skill utility like Nymph's Kiss (BOED).

Nifft
2017-10-19, 01:24 PM
Ooo, one more nice low-op feat: Holy Warrior (a [Reserve] feat from Comp. Champion), if she has the War domain.

It grants a weapon damage bonus equal to her highest prepared War domain spell. At level 13, that's +7 weapon damage all day for the cost of not casting one particular spell.

Telonius
2017-10-19, 01:24 PM
... Prestige Paladin? "Sword and Board melee-centered Cleric" could be a pretty apt description of that.

wookietek
2017-10-19, 03:41 PM
Good suggestions, thanks! I'm sure we can make something happen now.

Why do you disallow ToB material?

No ToB, because nobody in my group has that book.

Thurbane
2017-10-24, 05:40 PM
No ToB, because nobody in my group has that book.

Unacceptable! Badwrongfun! :smalltongue:

Sacred/Divine/Devotion feats are always good on a Cleric build, gives you things to do with your turn/rebuke attempts when there are no Undead around.

ATHATH
2017-10-24, 09:38 PM
Consider trading one or both of her domains for Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion (or just pick them up using normal feat slots).

The Golarion Cleric variant gets Full BAB and a d10 hit die, IIRC.