PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Single Use Pearl of Power?

Eddieddi
2017-10-19, 06:09 PM
So I'm playing a character in a downtime heavy campaign and he specializes in making magic items (I mean we're level 7 and every feat so far has been a 'craft x' feat,) and the DM allows for custom magic items. I've been trying to sell things to make a little profit. and after the Gm ruled no one in the town could afford an 1st level pearl of power, and chatting with the party, I've been trying to price up a 'Elixir of Magic' which the fluff for a single use pearl of power.
My first thought was pearl of power / 2 / 50 (as per charged item, 1 charge rules) but when that came out at 810gp for what is effectively a single use 9th level spell slot, I felt that was a little much, I mean how often do you use a pearl of power of ninth level? so I decided to just divide by 50 and got 1620gp for 9th level and 20gp for a first level spell. Does this feel right to you guys? Anyone got any other ideas?

Hellpyre
2017-10-19, 06:20 PM
I'd say just charge the same as a scroll of equivalent level. More utility for on-list spells, less ability to diversify. They seem roughly equal.

Eddieddi
2017-10-19, 06:23 PM
I'd say just charge the same as a scroll of equivalent level. More utility for on-list spells, less ability to diversify. They seem roughly equal.

The issue with that, is that it uses the creators caster level as a cost basis. are you suggesting that I price it as a 'lowest possible caster level for spell level scroll'?

Hellpyre
2017-10-19, 06:32 PM
The issue with that, is that it uses the creators caster level as a cost basis. are you suggesting that I price it as a 'lowest possible caster level for spell level scroll'?

More or less. If nothing else, that should give a good ballpark of where you want it fall eventually.

ATHATH
2017-10-19, 07:00 PM
Are you an Artificer or a Warlock, by any chance?

Eddieddi
2017-10-19, 07:23 PM
More or less. If nothing else, that should give a good ballpark of where you want it fall eventually.

Hmm, I'll have a poke at it. It seems a bit over expensive, as they don't allow non-casters to cast, or even casters to cast outside their lists.

Are you an Artificer or a Warlock, by any chance?

Artificer. He spends 75% of his game time forging.

Fizban
2017-10-19, 07:46 PM
I have two ways of statting "mana potions."

The first is to just take 1/10 the price of a Pearl of Power, similar to the Elixer of Sneaking and friends.

The second is to just use scrolls or "elixers" of Mage's Lucubration, which restores a 5th level spell slot- no restriction on class as long as the user can activate it somehow, so the use-activated potion/"elixer" price is the thing.

Of course, I should point out that being a crafter is not a license to have more WBL than everyone else, or more than the DM wants you to have. If you turn cash into gear that is worth twice as much, you now have twice as much wealth, and that means the DM is fully within their rights to reduce treasure to compensate if needed to bring you back in line. Crafting feats are powerful because they let you get exactly what you want, free money is just a bonus that lots of people allow without realizing they shouldn't.

Eddieddi
2017-10-19, 08:04 PM
I have two ways of statting "mana potions."

The first is to just take 1/10 the price of a Pearl of Power, similar to the Elixer of Sneaking and friends.

The second is to just use scrolls or "elixers" of Mage's Lucubration, which restores a 5th level spell slot- no restriction on class as long as the user can activate it somehow, so the use-activated potion/"elixer" price is the thing.

Of course, I should point out that being a crafter is not a license to have more WBL than everyone else, or more than the DM wants you to have. If you turn cash into gear that is worth twice as much, you now have twice as much wealth, and that means the DM is fully within their rights to reduce treasure to compensate if needed to bring you back in line. Crafting feats are powerful because they let you get exactly what you want, free money is just a bonus that lots of people allow without realizing they shouldn't.

1/10th seems to fit, it scales well and dosn't stop lower level adventurers acquiring it.

And yeah, I run everything by the DM before it happens, and often enough the treasure is items that other party members can use, and I can't. The Dm is actually pretty good at compensating for over-inflated WBL. We've not had any instances of wbl breaking the game, and I'm pretty good at self balancing (no spending 2 years making money then forging the best gear possible). The point of this isn't to fuel the WBL/get what we want, We're actually just trying to reduce our outgoings and save up all the gear for a trip across the 'Mana Wastes' (no 'create X' spells work in the area, Spells don't recover unless restored by a magic item, and those don't recharge till out of the area, Summoned creatures have 1/2 duration ect. its a pretty nasty adventure, Hence why 'mana potion' are very very high up our list of '**** that should be made').
Basically I re allocate our WBL to make our next mission easier.

Psyren
2017-10-19, 09:13 PM

I think I'd second this. Or at least not much more expensive than a scroll.

Advantage vs scroll: You get to use your own CL and ability score. Can be any spell you have prepped rather than fixed.

Disadvantage vs scroll: Only gives you access to a spell you know and (non-spontaneous) have prepared that day. Party Rogue can't UMD it in a pinch (it does nothing for a noncaster.) For spells with expensive or unwieldy material components/foci, you must have those present at the time of casting, instead of them being included in the scroll itself ahead of time.

I could see it being a wash.

Telonius
2017-10-20, 06:48 AM
It sounds like you want it to act like a staff with one charge in it? So just price it like it's a staff and divide by 50. (Can't use it on spells that require a material component etc).

Interesting to note, there's no difference in price between a single-spell custom staff, and a Wand.

Eddieddi
2017-10-21, 06:47 PM
It sounds like you want it to act like a staff with one charge in it? So just price it like it's a staff and divide by 50. (Can't use it on spells that require a material component etc).

Interesting to note, there's no difference in price between a single-spell custom staff, and a Wand.

Not like a staff, as staffs have limited spells, this is a 'regain a spell slot' sort of thing. pearl of power with 1 use. albeit in a potion form.

The issue with scroll pricing, is that the formula for price of scroll is Spell level x scroll creator level X 25.
What do I put in as 'scroll creator level' 1? or minimum level needed to cast the spell? or some other number?