PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 charge shield gish thing

eyeman927
2017-10-20, 02:55 AM
Hey guys another gish idea I need help. I need a build starting at 10 based around battlefield control with a shield charging, knocking people prone, etc. I'm kinda lost being as the concept is simple but on paper takes alot I'm not used to. Normal feat progression everything SRD is allowed ability ups for feats allowed and I believe 2 flaws (for feats) and a trait

karinrin55
2017-10-20, 04:08 AM
Wow am I glad I stumbled upon your thread.
I had a character very similar to what you want.
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=759801
These here is 15th level but I'm sure you can back track to 10, if you need help I'm here.
Basically you should either take crusader (devoted spirit and white raven maneuvers) or fighter (for them delicious feats) and tons of shield bashing feats.
Furthermore, are you looking for DMG output or tankyness?
This build could go both with the right maneuvers/feats choices so just play with it/
Hope this is helpful :smallbiggrin:

eyeman927
2017-10-20, 04:36 AM
Could you describe the build to me? Why you took what list it all off ill comprehend it better that way I don't wanna copy paste I just need to see the ideas and reasons behind it. If you could do that for me its be great and is appreciate it so so so much

Darrin
2017-10-20, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure I understand what sources are available. You said "everything SRD", which is good if it includes Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), but bad if it doesn't include Completes, because you need Shield Charge from Complete Warrior. PHBII would also be nice, as it has Agile Shield Fighter.

Assuming you have access to Complete Warrior, I might suggest:

Race: Human.
1) Barbarian 1. Feat: Power Attack. Human: Improved Shield Bash. Spirit Lion Totem -> Pounce. Flaw1: TWF. Flaw2: EWP Kusari-Gama (DMG p. 145).
2) Barbarian 2. Wolf Totem -> Improved Trip.
3) Fighter 1. Feat: Knock-Down. Bonus: Shield Charge.
4) Fighter 2. Bonus: Improved Bull Rush.
5) Fighter 3.
6) Fighter 4. Feat: Shield Slam. Bonus: Shock Trooper.
7) Fighter 5.
8) Fighter 6. Bonus: Improved TWF.
9) Fighter 7. Feat: Stand Still (XPH/SRD).
10) Fighter 8. Bonus: Shield Specialization (PHBII).

karinrin55
2017-10-20, 12:17 PM
Well, firstly my goal with this build was a kind of off tank battle control kind of character. My group had a main DMG dealer Champion of Corellon, a Shuganja and a Blackguard.
So my main deal was high AC, health and some battle control.
I took a lot of feats regarding my shield so that I could pump up my AC and shield bashing.

Feats

Firstly shield specialization that gave me a meh bonus of +1 to AC with my shield, but it is required for shield ward. This lets you add your shield bonus to touch AC against trip, bull rush etc'.
Next is the Improved Shield Bash, lets you attain the bonus to AC from shield while shield bashing. It's required for shield charge and slam.
The first letting you trip an opponent as a part of a charge while using shield bash and the latter also dazing him (with a Fort save of 10 + 1/2 your character level+your Str modifier).
I took Devoted Balwark to, again, up my AC. If an opponent hit me, I'd be harder to hit next time.
I'll admit Force of Personality is kind of a throw away that you can switch for something else, maybe change a bit in your Ability Score and add to INT, take Combat Expertise and Improved Trip to nudge the Shield Charge to be a little more effective.

Maneuvers

Douse the Flames|White Raven
Let's you prevent a foe from using AoO in his next round, making sure your squishy damage dealer wouldn't get countered too oblivion.

Foehammer|Devoted Spirit
This is a little damage boost, you gain +2d6 to your damage and over come DR for one attack, mainly used after you charge a foe and knock him prone. Used it to finish off low targets while the damage dealers were charging at another risk.

Shield Block|Devoted Spirit
Here come a defending one. Let's you give an adjacent ally +4 to their AC as a counter to one attack by an enemy, mostly used this against raged attacks on squishy allies. We encountered Arcane Archers more than I think is tasteful.

Revitalizing Strike|Devoted Spirit
This is what you take when there is a Shuganja as a healer in your team. Because you always have to be in the front line and a Shuganja is no Cleric that can just charge in with you (mostly combining high AC and multiple buffs) that means healing is a rare thing you'll get, even more so with the fact that you most likely have the highest HP pool and your Steely Resolve. This heals you for 3d6+level with one strike, not so fabulous but gets the job done while in combat.

White Raven Tactics|White Raven
Really tanky boss maneuver, but I mean REALLY TANKY. Let's you change an allies initiative to act again, i.e if you act after him use this to let him make a full attack after charging or make a full attack again (either way a lot of damage in a small time frame). But it get's a little tricky, the ally stays with that initiative for the rest of the battle so make sure it's ok with your teammate.

Entangling Blade|Devoted Spirit
Another small damage boost but with added battle control. This maneuver adds a +2d6 to your damage but also causes an -20 ft. penalty to your enemy's movement speed. Use on mobile targets such as Dervishes or on casters that you don't want running away so fast so you could catch them.

Covering Strike|White Raven
Same as Douse the Flames but for 3 rounds instead of 1.

Law Bearer|Devoted Spirit
WE HAVE REACHED CRITICAL MASS. This here is already a level 5 maneuver, here it's starts to get a little more powerful as we are entering a 9th-10th level span (you are here).
This let's you deal +4d6 damage gain a +8 to your attack and +5 to your AC and saves, all of this if you make a charge attack against a cheotic opponent. You will always prefer to charge to use your shield bash anyway and this lets you deal decent damage and pump up your AC and saves all for the price of one.

Rallying Strike|Devoted Spirit
A little like Revitalizing Strike, this let's you heal 3d6+level with a successful attack. Added bonus, it's a 30 ft. burst heal, meaning you can also heal another close ally. Again I took this because our healer was an illusion focused Shuganja, we got healed mostly out of battle.

War Leader's Charge|White Raven
This is a one I used a lot, let's you charge without AoO. We fought Large and larger creatures or foes with reach weapons a lot, so having no AoO while charging was game changing. It also gives you a +35 to damage, but at this stage it is minimal compared to your group's damage dealer.

Shield Counter|Devoted Spirit
Pretty much does what the name says, you make an attack with a -2 penalty against an attacking enemy. If it hits he automatically misses that attack, a nice counter but only works against one attack.

White Raven Hammer|White Raven
This one is a bit crazy if you ask me, you gain a +6d6 to damage and a free stun. Yes, free stun. Although it doesn't work against certain creatures (undead, some fiends and maybe more) it's pretty powerful in any other combat situation, you completely lock an enemy down.

That's all I can give you ATM cause it's a really stressful day (I'll spare you the details), I'll explain the Stances I've chosen another time.
Sorry it took so long but I hope this was useful :smallredface:

Nifft
2017-10-20, 12:35 PM
Well, firstly my goal with this build was a kind of off tank battle control kind of character. My group had a main DMG dealer Champion of Corellon, a Shuganja and a Blackguard.
So my main deal was high AC, health and some battle control.
I took a lot of feats regarding my shield so that I could pump up my AC and shield bashing.

(...)

That's all I can give you ATM cause it's a really stressful day (I'll spare you the details), I'll explain the Stances I've chosen another time.
Sorry it took so long but I hope this was useful :smallredface:

I'm surprised you didn't fit Stone Power in there anywhere.

It can be an amazing source of HP on a Crusader tank, since you know for sure whether you're going to suffer 5 or 10 HP of damage next round (specifically from your delayed damage pool).