PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ranger/Rogue fighter? Survival Scout Archer

ShortCirctui
2017-10-20, 05:00 AM
Howdy. I am confused as to where to take my character and figured yall more experienced people can help me out on this.

Current campaign is roughly medieval fantasy hunger games in post apacolpytic times.

The character is a human (variant) Rogue (started) 1/ Ranger 2

Anything in book or UA is valid no unofficial homebrew. I was planning on taking rogue scout (UA) to 7th lvl for uncanny dodge and evasion, and scout for the talent of running when an enemy ends its turn within 5' (i am known for dieing in horrible ways due to horrible rolls)

Taking ranger to at least 3 possibly all the way to 13. going into beast conclave (ranger rework) for a mount or going basic hunter for a little bit of extra damage.

So far gaining survivability due to updated natural explorer, Outlander (bounty hunter), and once i get scout archtype i get an extra double prof in survival and nature.

I am wondering if that can be optimized some more? I was also looking into other fighter archtypes. My thought being possibly Ranger 3/ Rogue 7/ Fighter 10. if i go fighter maybe arcane archer or something else that may help?

ALSO, DM decision that we can go above 20 for Stats. With that being said maybe Ranger 4/Rogue 8/ fighter 8 to maximise AP+ for feats or more stats.

Thanks in advance for the help on what to do. :D Cheers

EDIT:

As per request more party info and character info

Team of others.
Loremaster Bard (buffer)
Fighter (possibly cavalier build) (ok hp, ok dmg)
Dwarf Barb (good dmg, surprisingly not that tanky)
Dual wield fighter (most tanky)
Sword and shield Fighter (still figuring out character, came in late)
And my self the ranger/rogue (so far most consistent damage)

Current Stats:
STR 11
DEX 19
CON 15
INT 11
WIS 14
CHA 9

Took sharpshooter for human feat. Currently using a long bow with a rapier and small sentinal shield for back up.

For skill profs i have:

From starting rogue:
-Stealth
-Perception
-insight
-Investigation

From multiclass to ranger:
-Animal handeling

From background (Outlander):
-Athletics
-Survival

Campaign is based on survival, hinting at building up an army. Small missions to gather info and save survivors so far. Some water movement, lots of teleportation to far off areas (somewhat negating mounts but vehicles/mounts still have use)

TLDR: what would you do with a ranger rogue archer? And is taking fighter up to 11 worth sacrificing more ranger? (Ranger3/Rogue6/Fighter11)

EDIT 1: added character and party info

EDIT 2:added tldr for those wanting the fast lane.

Hyde
2017-10-20, 05:18 AM
Need to know more about the set-up, I think.

Are you playing solo, with other people against you, or on a team?

Regardless, I'd recommend checking your dice for bias, and taking the lucky feat.

ShortCirctui
2017-10-20, 06:22 AM
Need to know more about the set-up, I think.

Are you playing solo, with other people against you, or on a team?

Regardless, I'd recommend checking your dice for bias, and taking the lucky feat.

I updated original post with more info :D

Also just got in 7 new sets of dice off amazon. Have noticed slightly better results but still known as the only man ever to roll only 1's and 2's for an entire 4 hour session. That being said the lucky feat is one i plan on getting soon cause lady luck is never on my side.

Citan
2017-10-20, 05:15 PM
Howdy. I am confused as to where to take my character and figured yall more experienced people can help me out on this.

Current campaign is roughly medieval fantasy hunger games in post apacolpytic times.

The character is a human (variant) Rogue (started) 1/ Ranger 2

Anything in book or UA is valid no unofficial homebrew. I was planning on taking rogue scout (UA) to 7th lvl for uncanny dodge and evasion, and scout for the talent of running when an enemy ends its turn within 5' (i am known for dieing in horrible ways due to horrible rolls)

Taking ranger to at least 3 possibly all the way to 13. going into beast conclave (ranger rework) for a mount or going basic hunter for a little bit of extra damage.

So far gaining survivability due to updated natural explorer, Outlander (bounty hunter), and once i get scout archtype i get an extra double prof in survival and nature.

I am wondering if that can be optimized some more? I was also looking into other fighter archtypes. My thought being possibly Ranger 3/ Rogue 7/ Fighter 10. if i go fighter maybe arcane archer or something else that may help?

ALSO, DM decision that we can go above 20 for Stats. With that being said maybe Ranger 4/Rogue 8/ fighter 8 to maximise AP+ for feats or more stats.

Thanks in advance for the help on what to do. :D Cheers

EDIT:

As per request more party info and character info

Team of others.
Loremaster Bard (buffer)
Fighter (possibly cavalier build) (ok hp, ok dmg)
Dwarf Barb (good dmg, surprisingly not that tanky)
Dual wield fighter (most tanky)
Sword and shield Fighter (still figuring out character, came in late)
And my self the ranger/rogue (so far most consistent damage)

Current Stats:
STR 11
DEX 19
CON 15
INT 11
WIS 14
CHA 9

Took sharpshooter for human feat. Currently using a long bow with a rapier and small sentinal shield for back up.

For skill profs i have:

From starting rogue:
-Stealth
-Perception
-insight
-Investigation

From multiclass to ranger:
-Animal handeling

From background (Outlander):
-Athletics
-Survival

Campaign is based on survival, hinting at building up an army. Small missions to gather info and save survivors so far. Some water movement, lots of teleportation to far off areas (somewhat negating mounts but vehicles/mounts still have use)

TLDR: what would you do with a ranger rogue archer? And is taking fighter up to 11 worth sacrificing more ranger? (Ranger3/Rogue6/Fighter11)

EDIT 1: added character and party info

EDIT 2:added tldr for those wanting the fast lane.
Hmm.
Ok.

For what you want to achieve (which is as I understand a great scout and sniping archer) I'd say you are right on track. I wouldn't try to get Fighter 11 though until you are pretty sure you will reach it, because it's getting 3rd Attack at capstone or nearly.
Same with going Arcane Archer at high level, or Eldricht Knight 10 to get Eldricht Strike (great with all those Ranger spells).

Plus Revised Ranger is easier to work with.
So for your plan, I'd say "stick with Rogue 7-8 / Ranger 5+ (with Extra Attack as a priority) and potential Arcane Archer 3 for those nice arrows, unless you like to make long-term bets in which case Arcane Archer 11 (for Extra Attack) / Ranger 4 / Rogue 5 or Ranger 9 / Rogue 1 / Eldricht Knight 10 (Eldricht Strike) can be done.

Now, for "what would be the best for your party"...
Cleric & Druid. Definitely. You have so much melee and so little casting overall that you are bound for trouble later. Even the most smart Bard won't be able to take care of everything, since most good spells are concentration (plus he hasn't unlimited fuel).

I would definitely take a level in Life Cleric early on. Two reasons.
1. Life Goodberries: goes well with the idea of "survival as priority", and can also be roleplayed as a great way to sustain your "army in the making".
2. Bless: not only will it help circumvent bad rolls on your saves, but it will also hep you on attacks, as well as providing the same benefits to 2, 3 (2nd level) or 4 (3rd level) of your pals.
Also, you would get Sanctuary, which can be a darn lifesaver in a pinch.

I would in fact take it directly at your next level or just after you get either Rogue's Cunning Action (better disengage) or Ranger's archetype, unless you think so far your party survives and kills efficiently enough. In which case I'd take it just before Ranger 5 (so at the time all your friends get their Extra Attacks).

Delaying Extra Attack by yet another level is a tough choice, but when you consider how many more attacks all your friends and you would succeed with the bonus, I'd say it's a fair trade.

Then I would either focus on control spells as a Ranger and aim for Ranger 9, or wait until I got Rogue 2 / Ranger 5 / Life Cleric 1 then start pumping Land (or rather Shepherd, since you have access to UA) Druid... With two significant drawbacks though: you would get decent control spells fairly late (although not so compared to pure Ranger) and you would probably want to pump WIS, because 14 is a tad low.
On the plus side, you would get everything the party needs for adventuring in the wild, and more (buff/debuff/conjuration/battlefield control/healing/AOE), as well as much more fuel for all your Ranger spells.

8wGremlin
2017-10-20, 05:31 PM
I suggest that you get to Ranger 3 first and pick the Dark Stalker archetype

- this nets you an extra attack and extra 10' movement in the first round of combat
- you get a couple of spells as well.

then i'd recommend going to ranger 5 for a ASI/feat at level 4, and extra attack at 5

I suggest that you then take another couple of levels level in Rogue to get the cunning action, and your survivalist and skirmisher abilities.

for the feat, you may want some versatility - I'd actually pick Ritual Caster (wizard) pick Alarm and Find familiar.
(if allowed I'd take the flying monkey familiar from Tome of Annihilation) plus any wizard ritual spells you pick up on the way.

Look for Leomund's tiny hut, comprehend languages, phantom steed etc. (you can cast any you know as often as you like, and you can copy any wizard ritual in your book = half your level!)

as for your group, you'd lacking spell casters and some healing, but you'll be ok, i'm sure...