PDA

View Full Version : Speculation making an immensely tough sorcerer

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-20, 09:18 AM
So I've just been doing some paper craft messing with numbers for fun and I started building a really tough sorcerer.

What I got so far:
Hill dwarf
Draconic Sorcerer
Stats (point buy)
STR-10
DEX-14
CON-16
INT-10
WIS-11
CHA-14
(if you can't tell, i don't like my characters to have minuses lol)

So with all his stats his AC will be 15 and his HP will be 11, at level 4 id probably give him the tough feat and maybe some other feats later on but I'm unsure. If you see a way to up his toughness I missed please let me know or if you have a better idea feel free to blow my mind.

UrielAwakened
2017-10-20, 09:23 AM
Look into being an Abjurer Wizard with 2 levels of Warlock if this is what you want to do.

You can have a permanent arcane ward using free-to-cast Mage Armor with the Armor of Shadows invocation. Together with casting a max-level Armor of Agathys each day and you'll have as many hit points as a Barbarian of your level, plus on-demand Shield, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, and every other fun tool a wizard gets.

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-20, 09:27 AM
Well, if you're just going for sheer number of hitpoints, then you're probably on the right track. However, if you want the Sorc that is hardest to take down with only modest investment, then a Mountain Dwarf might be better for this. Gaining access to Medium Armor means that you can leave Dex at 14, and not need to pump it to get good AC. AC acts like a HP multiplier, since if the enemy doesn't hit you, you don't lose HP. Making the enemy miss 5% more is roughly equal to having 5% more HP. 13+2(from Dex) = 15, while 15+2 = 17, or a 10% decrease in being hit. You'd need to burn 2 ASIs on Dex just to get back to being even.

And that's two ASIs that would be better spent on Cha, or Con. Heck, one ASI into Con gets you that HP back anyways, and so you still have one ASI to go to Cha and you're even still.

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-20, 09:31 AM
Well, if you're just going for sheer number of hitpoints, then you're probably on the right track. However, if you want the Sorc that is hardest to take down with only modest investment, then a Mountain Dwarf might be better for this. Gaining access to Medium Armor means that you can leave Dex at 14, and not need to pump it to get good AC. AC acts like a HP multiplier, since if the enemy doesn't hit you, you don't lose HP. Making the enemy miss 5% more is roughly equal to having 5% more HP. 13+2(from Dex) = 15, while 15+2 = 17, or a 10% decrease in being hit. You'd need to burn 2 ASIs on Dex just to get back to being even.

And that's two ASIs that would be better spent on Cha, or Con. Heck, one ASI into Con gets you that HP back anyways, and so you still have one ASI to go to Cha and you're even still.

I debated doing this but I wasn't sure if it was a wise decision since at lower levels my A.C. will stay around the same point so i focused on hp because of my.....well general inexperience as a sorcerer. So if this is a better choice I can edit my build to rely on that

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-20, 09:32 AM
Look into being an Abjurer Wizard with 2 levels of Warlock if this is what you want to do.

You can have a permanent arcane ward using free-to-cast Mage Armor with the Armor of Shadows invocation. Together with casting a max-level Armor of Agathys each day and you'll have as many hit points as a Barbarian of your level, plus on-demand Shield, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, and every other fun tool a wizard gets.
I guess I should edit my post but I'm attempting to avoid multiclassing.

nickl_2000
2017-10-20, 09:35 AM
Are you allowed UA materials, or only official published?

UrielAwakened
2017-10-20, 09:39 AM
I guess I should edit my post but I'm attempting to avoid multiclassing.

Wait why?

That's...a weird stipulation.

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-20, 09:40 AM
Are you allowed UA materials, or only official published?

Only official published

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-20, 09:42 AM
Wait why?

I dunno, I see it as more of a challenge lol.

UrielAwakened
2017-10-20, 10:01 AM
....uh huh.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-20, 11:27 AM
I debated doing this but I wasn't sure if it was a wise decision since at lower levels my A.C. will stay around the same point so i focused on hp because of my.....well general inexperience as a sorcerer. So if this is a better choice I can edit my build to rely on that

IMO you are always better off not getting hit. All those hit points are going to have to be healed between fights unless you can take a long rest after each fight. Armor doesn't break (in 5e).

With the shield spell and a decent AC you can fairly easily avoid damage. Your cleric would appreciate it.

At any rate, you are most certainly making your character weaker by investing so much into defense, when you should just stand back.:smalltongue:

GlenSmash!
2017-10-20, 12:28 PM
Wait why?

I don't think it's a weird stipulation. Lots of players I've met like to play single classed characters.

UrielAwakened
2017-10-20, 12:43 PM
But they usually don't have a weird requirement like being a tanky caster.

Citan
2017-10-20, 12:47 PM
So I've just been doing some paper craft messing with numbers for fun and I started building a really tough sorcerer.

What I got so far:
Hill dwarf
Draconic Sorcerer
Stats (point buy)
STR-10
DEX-14
CON-16
INT-10
WIS-11
CHA-14

So with all his stats his AC will be 15 and his HP will be 11, at level 4 id probably give him the tough feat and maybe some other feats later on but I'm unsure. If you see a way to up his toughness I missed please let me know or if you have a better idea feel free to blow my mind.
Hi!

Well, for official-only I'd say you nailed the most of it.
If you are considering UA content...
1. Stone Sorcerer will provide the best built-in resilience.
2. Favored Soul Sorcerer will allow you to buff yourself with Aid and Shield of Faith. :)

nickl_2000
2017-10-20, 12:51 PM
I'm curious about a Sorcerer Sea Tortle Build (you are a turtle, Sea Sorcerer just makes sense). You wouldn't have ideal Cha (only max 15 from with point buy), but you could dump both Strength and Dexterity. So, your other stats could be pretty incredible for skills.

8wGremlin
2017-10-20, 01:25 PM
Svirfneblin (deep gnome) Abjuration wizards, with the Svirfneblin magic feat at level 4 is quite tanky.
They can cast Nondetection at will (3rd level abjuration spell) - this helps keep their abjuration ward up.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-20, 01:29 PM
But they usually don't have a weird requirement like being a tanky caster.

You don't know my players :smallwink:

GlenSmash!
2017-10-20, 01:31 PM
Only official published

That's too bad. Stone Sorcerer has some great inherent toughness.

nickl_2000
2017-10-20, 01:34 PM
That's too bad. Stone Sorcerer has some great inherent toughness.

That was the exact reason I asked about UA.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-20, 01:36 PM
That was the exact reason I asked about UA.

I'm really bummed it didn't make it into XGtE.

nickl_2000
2017-10-20, 01:40 PM
I'm really bummed it didn't make it into XGtE.

To be fair, it is pretty overpowered as is.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-20, 01:42 PM
To be fair, it is pretty overpowered as is.

Sure, but lot's of UA stuff is toned down before going to print. Just look at the Storm Sorcerer from UA and the one from SCAG.

nickl_2000
2017-10-20, 01:43 PM
Sure, but lot's of UA stuff is toned down before going to print. Just look at the Storm Sorcerer from UA and the one from SCAG.

Very true, there is always hope for next time.

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-21, 10:50 AM
Very true, there is always hope for next time.

I'm also very upset that we won't be getting the stone sorcerer

djreynolds
2017-10-22, 02:47 AM

What I got so far:
Hill dwarf
Draconic Sorcerer
Stats (point buy)
STR-10
DEX-14
CON-16
INT-10
WIS-11
CHA-14

This is workable, I played a mountain dwarf abjurer wizard. The issue is you casting stat is stuck at usually 15, 17, 19 and then 1/2 feat or whatever

But in your case you must max your casting stat out. A really tough sorcerer is adding +5 to whatever element they took and have added elemental adept to boot.

So that's 3 ASI and a feat and I would take resilient wisdom. 16 con for you is actually like having a 20 con in terms of bonus HP every level because of dwarven toughness and draconic resilience

Fire shield, mirror image, and the investiture spells are nice

IMO, at 4th because of your 14 charisma take elemental adept so when hit, you hit hard and then max charisma