PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Immunity to Fear?

ATHATH
2017-10-20, 01:48 PM
Is there a way to voluntarily lower the immunity to fear granted by the Aura of Courage ability without having to use a non-free action every turn? I'm making a Holy Monk build that uses the Devoted Inquisitor and Craven feats, but the Aura of Courage given by the ACF disqualifies me for Craven.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-20, 02:07 PM
I'd argue that even a lowered immunity is still an immunity. However, you don't need to lower it; you can simply deactivate your Aura of Courage (Su). Its activation action is not listed, so it defaults to a standard action. I would let you deactivate it as a standard action, as well--essentially, the whole aura is a toggle ability. If that doesn't work: Aura of Courage is a supernatural ability, so you can suppress it with antimagic, and it is not active while you are unconscious or dead (although the latter clause is probably hard to leverage).

Jowgen
2017-10-20, 02:12 PM
The Coward flaw, from Dragon 324:

Effect: You automatically fail all saves against fear effects. An ability that makes you immune to fear (such as becoming a 3rd-level paladin) instead grants you a saving throw, but at a -4 penalty on the save.

ATHATH
2017-10-20, 04:23 PM
The Coward flaw, from Dragon 324:
Ooh! That's perfect, thank you!

ATHATH
2017-10-20, 04:27 PM
Quick question: If a Paladin's immunity to fear is removed by the Coward flaw (or bypassed by a Dread Witch), can they (still) receive the +4 morale bonus to saves against fear granted by their own Aura of Courage ability, since it affects "Each ally within 10 feet of her"?

Feantar
2017-10-21, 01:03 AM
Depends on whether you are considered your ally. I'd tend to say you are, but then again, you are your own worst enemy:smalltongue:.

Also, can't you lower immunities as a rule? I remember something in the PHB about elves lowering their immunity to sleep.

Forrestfire
2017-10-21, 01:07 AM
Also, can't you lower immunities as a rule? I remember something in the PHB about elves lowering their immunity to sleep.

You can lower your special defenses when targeted by a spell that allows a saving throw, as part of voluntarily failing the save. You can't do so in any other situation.