PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed One of my Players wants to build Alexader Anderson (Hellsing) in 3.5

PhantasyPen
2017-10-20, 02:08 PM
Hello all

As the thread title says, I'm DM'ing a campaign, and one of my players asked me how he might build Alexander Anderson from Hellsing. Normally I'd probably hash something out, but I'm a bit busy trying to finish the campaign setting, so I can't really think straight enough to put it together right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For those who don't know the character or Franchise, Anderson's primary traits are:

Catholic Priest
Uses daggers/shortswords as ranged and melee weapons
Can regenerate injuries
Human
Nail of Helena: Anderson turns into a freakish living thornbush monster at the climax of the franchise

I'm inclined towards using a psionic character for this, namely a PsyWar or a Divine Mind, but I don't know if those are the best options, so if anyone else has a suggestion please feel free to contribute an idea.

Starting level will be 5, but I'm not sure if that will matter. I allow all 3.5 and 3.0 content, plus some third party stuff if I happen to own a copy of it (that second clause also applies to Dragon Magazine stuff), no Pathfinder stuff. I really don't like pathfinder, and do not find it to be nearly as backwards-compatible as it claims to be.

Demidos
2017-10-20, 02:14 PM
Mid-High optimization --

Divine metamagic persist Clericzilla with stacked nightsticks and persisted lesser vigor and multiple Cloud of Knives with the fell drain feat. (Cleric 5).

Deals a negative level per persisted spell per round as free actions, so 5-6 negative levels. You can heal yourself with your normal actions. I can't quite remember if fell drain negative levels stack on crits, but if they do, you can deal a lot of damage.

Low optimization --

Cleric 5.

PhantasyPen
2017-10-20, 02:16 PM
Mid-High optimization --

Divine metamagic persist Clericzilla with persisted lesser vigor and multiple Cloud of Knives with the fell drain feat.

Low optimization --

Cleric 5.

Hang on, what the hell is Fell Drain doing there? Also, I'm not sure full-on cleric is the best choice, considering Anderson doesn't really fight like a caster, he's pretty clearly a warrior.

Calthropstu
2017-10-20, 02:16 PM
You are forgetting a key aspect of Anderson: hunts undead.
I would go Inquisitor/radiant servant of pelor/paladin eventually breaking off into something that permanently changes into an Archon or other good creature. From the way that thing looked, it kinda looked like a wormthatwalks but a celestial version.

CharonsHelper
2017-10-20, 02:19 PM
If you allow Pathfinder stuff, the Warpriest would be a pretty decent fit.

1. They're a warpriest

2. They get a favoured weapon of their choice with jacked up damage dice, so daggers/bayonets would work well.

3. Healing spells.

I'm not actually sure that Anderson qualifies as human anymore. They talk about him being experimented on. And the thornbush thing was weird and based upon the artefact - not his own powers.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor might work even better from the fluff & healing perspective (Healing Judgement gives them Fast Healing for the entire combat) but they don't get to jack up their damage dice for the dagger.

Though really - if you worship Pharasma and take the Deific Obedience feat along with the River Rat trait - daggers can be solid for anyone.

Demidos
2017-10-20, 02:21 PM
Oops, I already edited my reply to explain fell drain, but it affects the cloud of knives, meaning that the knife will deal damage from level draining and make casters lose prepared spells in addition to the base damage.

Clericzilla is a type of Cleric build where they persist spells that give them combat bonuses, becoming very powerful warriors with spells as additional backup.

PhantasyPen
2017-10-20, 02:22 PM
You are forgetting a key aspect of Anderson: hunts undead.
I would go Inquisitor/radiant servant of pelor/paladin eventually breaking off into something that permanently changes into an Archon or other good creature. From the way that thing looked, it kinda looked like a wormthatwalks but a celestial version.

His combat against undead was not forgotten, just unmentioned since he technically battles "enemies of the Church" rather than undead exclusively. It just happens to be undead in the show because that's what Hellsing focuses on.

PhantasyPen
2017-10-20, 02:23 PM
If you allow Pathfinder stuff, the Warpriest would be a pretty decent fit.

1. They're a warpriest

2. They get a favoured weapon of their choice with jacked up damage dice, so daggers/bayonets would work well.

3. Healing spells.

I'm not actually sure that Anderson qualifies as human anymore. They talk about him being experimented on. And the thornbush thing was weird and based upon the artefact - not his own powers.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor might work even better from the fluff & healing perspective (Healing Judgement gives them Fast Healing for the entire combat) but they don't get to jack up their damage dice for the dagger.

Though really - if you worship Pharasma and take the Deific Obedience feat along with the River Rat trait - daggers can be solid for anyone.

Pathfinder is a big no from me. I'm editing the first post to reflect this.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-20, 03:36 PM
Hmm... The regeneration and turning-into-a-spikey-monster make me think Warshaper levels might not go amiss...

PhantasyPen
2017-10-20, 03:56 PM
Hmm... The regeneration and turning-into-a-spikey-monster make me think Warshaper levels might not go amiss...

I think that would put too much emphasis on the transformative aspects, which the character doesn't really have. :/

Blackhawk748
2017-10-20, 05:09 PM
Well the healing can come from Troll Bloodline, but Bloodlines are....weird. Otherwise id go for a Zen Archery Cleric, nab a level of Master Thrower (for Palm Throwing) and then run off into Ordained Champion.

Cleric 4/Ordained Champ 2/Master Thrower 2/ Ordained Champ 3

I went with 2 levels cuz Evasion is nice. After Ordained Champ you can keep going with Master Thrower, take more Cleric or grab another PrC.

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-20, 07:03 PM
You could also take the trollblooded feat at level 1 for regeneration 1.

OldTrees1
2017-10-20, 07:48 PM
Human Crusader 4 / Warblade 1 / Bloodstorm Blade X with the Trollblooded feat

Tome of Battle does a good job of representing the rapid pace and variety of Anderson's attacks while Bloodstorm Blade allows him to throw his bayonets. The Trollblooded feat should do a decent job of representing his normal regeneration (the Holy Nail is an artifact rather than being part of Anderson's abilities).

PhantasyPen
2017-10-20, 08:09 PM
Human Crusader 4 / Warblade 1 / Bloodstorm Blade X with the Trollblooded feat

Tome of Battle does a good job of representing the rapid pace and variety of Anderson's attacks while Bloodstorm Blade allows him to throw his bayonets. The Trollblooded feat should do a decent job of representing his normal regeneration (the Holy Nail is an artifact rather than being part of Anderson's abilities).

Ah! I can't believe I didn't even think of that! Yeah, this might work quite well. Not sure how good his grasp of ToB is though...

Calthropstu
2017-10-20, 08:15 PM
I think that would put too much emphasis on the transformative aspects, which the character doesn't really have. :/

Agreed, it was an artifact that granted the transformation. Let's ignore that entirely.
Let's look at some things he did in the show.
He focused primarily on melee combat.
He had an anti magic field, from talismans.
He cast talismans everywhere in a kind of smoke bomb effect.
He had extremely high movement rate.
He had an extremely high number of attacks per round.
He had a near limitless number of enchanted blades.
His attacks had extra effectiveness against the undead.
He literally had the title of paladin.
He was able to regenerate very quickly.

Paladin quite literally has to be in the build. Alexander epitomized all that is lawful good to the extreme, as befits a paladin. Smite explains the damage boost against undead., and the high bab explained his attack rate.
I also think enough levels in monk or barbarian to get hightened movement rate would also be a good bet.
A large number of daggers, with some ability to make all of them enchanted explains much of the rest.
The paper smoke bombs, anti magic talismans and other wierd paper crap can be homebrewed into an artifact coming from a holy book just as Anderson had in the show.
And there you have it: one Alexander Anderson.

Arbane
2017-10-20, 11:24 PM
Paladin quite literally has to be in the build. Alexander epitomized all that is lawful good to the extreme, as befits a paladin.

Are we talking about the same Protestant-killing guy here?! :smalleek:

Zanos
2017-10-20, 11:35 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e4/c6/a2/e4c6a202efb6bb4b48e1bff276abbb43--funny-emoticons-ugly-faces.jpg

Hang on, what the hell is Fell Drain doing there? Also, I'm not sure full-on cleric is the best choice, considering Anderson doesn't really fight like a caster, he's pretty clearly a warrior.
Clerics have 3/4 BAB, d8 HD, and heavy armor/shields. Many of their buffs are personal only and provide more melee defense/offense, and they even have a spell to give themselves full BAB temporarily.

Clerics don't usually fight like casters.

torrasque666
2017-10-20, 11:44 PM
Are we talking about the same Protestant-killing guy here?! :smalleek:
To be fair, to him Protestants are on par with Vampires and Werewolves and Leprechauns.

Calthropstu
2017-10-21, 12:14 AM
To be fair, to him Protestants are on par with Vampires and Werewolves and Leprechauns.

Actually no. Though Protestants are his sworn enemies, he can at least respect them. He doesn't slaughter noncombatants and goes out of his way not to include them... even if they are protestant. When his superior goes too far and orders the crusade to slaughter noncombatants, he essentially kills him as his law and code demands. And when he is ordered to back down againt the hellsing organization he despises (and respects) he does so.
He's lawful good to a T.

OldTrees1
2017-10-21, 12:54 AM
Actually no. Though Protestants are his sworn enemies, he can at least respect them. He doesn't slaughter noncombatants and goes out of his way not to include them... even if they are protestant. When his superior goes too far and orders the crusade to slaughter noncombatants, he essentially kills him as his law and code demands. And when he is ordered to back down againt the hellsing organization he despises (and respects) he does so.
He's lawful good to a T.

You have described the Lawful aspect. But drawing the "line in the sand" right between lethal religious persecution and religious cleansing merely shows that Anderson is LN (or LE in the abridged) with a conscious and not LG.

Calthropstu
2017-10-21, 02:23 AM
You have described the Lawful aspect. But drawing the "line in the sand" right between lethal religious persecution and religious cleansing merely shows that Anderson is LN (or LE in the abridged) with a conscious and not LG.

His work with the children, his persecution of evil, his strong moral compass... the only reason he hates the hellsing organization so much is because they use vampires to kill other vampires. The use of evil is evil even if for good ends. He has a hardline stance, but the good is there. As for the abridged version... tfs is kinda... out there. Hilarious, but out there.

OldTrees1
2017-10-21, 03:05 AM
His work with the children, his persecution of evil, his strong moral compass... the only reason he hates the hellsing organization so much is because they use vampires to kill other vampires. The use of evil is evil even if for good ends. He has a hardline stance, but the good is there. As for the abridged version... tfs is kinda... out there. Hilarious, but out there.

Anderson tells a pair of young boys that they should only engage in violence against "monsters and non-believers," and comments to his superiors that it is fortunate that a large vampire population must be killing many English Protestants.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Anderson might have a strong moral compass, but clearly it does not point true. Whether that makes him LG or LN might be in the eye of the beholder. (It might even stem from differences in portrayal between the Manga and the Anime)

Eldariel
2017-10-21, 04:27 AM
Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator is pretty solid. Turning feels like something he could do but everything else points to self-buffs and martial skills with a smattering of magical powers. Indeed, Swordsage or Crusader straight-up could also work. Pretty good at what they do. Psionics...Ardent maybe? I do think he's more martial with few magical tricks (ToB enables this just fine) than anything else though. The metamorphosis could be gotten as a Cleric domain spell, or as an Ardent power or whatever.

DrKerosene
2017-10-21, 05:21 AM
I thought Mystic Ranger 10/Verdant Lord 10 with the Sword of the Arcane Order feat working, should come close enough to being able to act like Anderson.

I believe Favored Enemy can be against an "organization". You get light armor (can trade some Ranger levels for Swordsage or whatever).

I can't argue with the feat Trollblooded. I figured there should be some mention to being a half-black dragon or something, and getting the (fire) subtype to help become nearly immortal.

zergling.exe
2017-10-21, 07:40 AM
I thought Mystic Ranger 10/Verdant Lord 10 with the Sword of the Arcane Order feat working, should come close enough to being able to act like Anderson.

I believe Favored Enemy can be against an "organization". You get light armor (can trade some Ranger levels for Swordsage or whatever).

I can't argue with the feat Trollblooded. I figured there should be some mention to being a half-black dragon or something, and getting the (fire) subtype to help become nearly immortal.

Feral might be better for Fast Healing rather than Regeneration. Despite his title of 'Regenerator', in the final fight with Alucard his body is clearly not regenerating. The nail gives him true regeneration though, but again that's an artifact rather than base ability.

Calthropstu
2017-10-21, 11:46 AM
I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Anderson might have a strong moral compass, but clearly it does not point true. Whether that makes him LG or LN might be in the eye of the beholder. (It might even stem from differences in portrayal between the Manga and the Anime)

Fair enough. I doubt we could discuss that particular point without discussing where his moral compass points and why... which can't help but involve the religion those beliefs are based on... which is against forum rules.
Still, it is quite clear the intent of the writers was to display him as the quintissential paladin, the ones that the d&d class is partially sourced upon.

Fouredged Sword
2017-10-21, 09:18 PM
I want to come up with some way to have a crusader 10 / blood storm blade 10 build so that you alway have an iron heart maneuver granted at all times to use your bloodstorm abilities, but i am not sure the feats work out with troll blooded and shoe horning enough iron heart stuff into crusader to make it practical.

Two flaws for toughness and troll blooded. Martial study / stance at 1st level. Point blank shot at 3rd level. Extra granted maneuver at 6th. Martial study at 9th. An iron heart maneuver granting item...

Yes, it can work so you can have 3/5 of your maneuver pool as iron heart maneuvers by 9th level, meaning you can use your bloodstorm blade abilities without stopping.

I suggest crusader 5 / bloodstorm blade 10 / crusader 5. As it is a tob prc it grants full initiator levels. This should allow you to focus on devoted spirit and still get the heal strike. Put lots of ranks in umd and carry a few scrolls of beastland ferocity / delay death to turn into an unkillable monster for a few rounds and ensure you get to your heal befor you die.

Deadline
2017-10-22, 01:51 AM

Is ... is the manga different to the two anime outings? Because in those, he's a barely restrained psychopath. His "work with children" consists of him encouraging them to commit violence against monsters and non-believers.

Don't get me wrong, he's the kind of deranged that is fun to watch, but "paragon of good" is ... well, not even close to being a fitting label.

Arbane
2017-10-22, 01:49 PM
Is ... is the manga different to the two anime outings? Because in those, he's a barely restrained psychopath. His "work with children" consists of him encouraging them to commit violence against monsters and non-believers.

Don't get me wrong, he's the kind of deranged that is fun to watch, but "paragon of good" is ... well, not even close to being a fitting label.

Hellsing morality grades on a curve. When the bad guys are LITERALLY baby-eating Nazis, being a good guy by comparison isn't too hard. :smallamused:

Deadline
2017-10-23, 08:07 PM
Hellsing morality grades on a curve. When the bad guys are LITERALLY baby-eating Nazis, being a good guy by comparison isn't too hard. :smallamused:

Well, I mean, if you set the bar that low, a bunch of terrible people look good by comparison. :smalltongue:

PhantasyPen
2017-10-23, 09:13 PM
Eh, I'd call Anderson LN myself. He's definitely not a *good* man, but he tries, and he definitely follows the word (if not always the spirit) of his personal Laws.

Now, I wasn't actually looking for a debate about a fictional character's morality, so let's move back to the original question please? Also I've now linked my player to this thread, he told me he might go for a clericzilla. I blame all of you.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-23, 09:56 PM
Eh, I'd call Anderson LN myself. He's definitely not a *good* man, but he tries, and he definitely follows the word (if not always the spirit) of his personal Laws.

Now, I wasn't actually looking for a debate about a fictional character's morality, so let's move back to the original question please? Also I've now linked my player to this thread, he told me he might go for a clericzilla. I blame all of you.

You come to GitP for advice. If someone doesnt recommend God Wizard or CoDzilla at some point i get concerned.