PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a class?

Falcii
2017-10-20, 10:11 PM
We are doing a one off, and I dunno what to play. We are level 8, and I rolled these stats. Side, note I hate paladins. Plez help.
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13

2D8HP
2017-10-20, 10:23 PM
I would play an Outlander or Urchin background Half Elf, Half-Orc, or Variant human, that's a Champion Fighter 5/Swashbuckler Rogue 3, because that's what I like to play.

If you can keep all the extra options and rules in mind Battlemaster is supposed to be a good sub-class (I don't play casters).

Wood Elf is a good "race" for the mechanics, but I like role-playing humans and half-humans better.

Specter
2017-10-20, 10:29 PM
These stats would make me play a Variant Human Draconic Sorcerer with Tough as a feat. At 8th level, you can have up to 18 in Charisma.

Christian
2017-10-20, 10:42 PM
I would play an Outlander or Urchin background Half Elf, Half-Orc, or Variant human, that's a Champion Fighter 5/Swashbuckler Rogue 3, because that's what I like to play.

If you can keep all the extra options and rules in mind Battlemaster is supposed to be a good sub-class (I don't play casters).

Wood Elf is a good "race" for the mechanics, but I like role-playing humans and half-humans better.

Please share how you're getting this 8 Dex up to 13 by 5th level so you can multiclass Rogue. :smallconfused:

Asmotherion
2017-10-20, 10:45 PM
Half Elf variant that gives a starting 35 speed Fighter 1 Warlock (Any Patron you like) 2. This way you can get Full Plate and a shield for an AC of 20, and have a Decent 15 Charisma (That will go to 16 on the next ASI, and then at your option 18), and you can Eldritch Blast well. With a base 35 speed, your speed when wearing Full Plate becomes 25 feet reguardless of Str (as if you were a Dwarf).

2D8HP
2017-10-20, 10:50 PM
Please share how you're getting this 8 Dex up to 13 by 5th level so you can multiclass Rogue. :smallconfused:

Good catch, it can't be done.

Fighter/Barbarian then.

ImproperJustice
2017-10-20, 11:19 PM
Play Captain Meatshield and absorb damage that would target the "good" characters until you die and get to roll a new character with better stats? J/k

Honestly, looking at the stat spread and how you hate Paladins.....would some form of Bladepact Warlock work here?

Maybe you envied all the other hero types and chose to go for an "easier" route to power and made pacts with dark/unusual forces....

Plan B would be some form of Bard?

Aymon
2017-10-20, 11:29 PM
We are doing a one off, and I dunno what to play. We are level 8, and I rolled these stats. Side, note I hate paladins. Plez help.
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13
With those stats you don't want to be anywhere near combat, and you are not a sneak.

You get two ASIs so an 18 at 8th which is fine.

I'd play a single classed vhuman with the observant feat, as a lore bard. Or leave strength at 13 and pick up the alert feat instead. You're fragile and vulnerable, but everyone's friend

Or pick HAM and go fighter 6 Warlock 2 and use Eldritch blast. More defence and offence, much less utility...

SaA
2017-10-21, 12:08 AM
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13

first off for the sake of fun

get the Orc Race from volos so that your stats go to

Str 15
Dex 8
Con 11
Int 5 (dumb as a oven full of hammers, no reading or writing and probably cant speak to good)
Wis 10
Cha 13

also could i recommend you going Bladelocke ? Spend your first ASi on +1str +1Cha for a Str 16 (+3) , and a Cha 14 (+2)

Get Polearm Master as your only feat, with your lv 8, and your all set to be a Mentally Challenged Large Drooling Orc Serving an Evil Demon with a Big Pointy Stick

You also get Proficiency on Intimidation and get to Take a the Dash action as a bonus action each turn.

Also dont forget the Heavy Armor

Also take advantge of the Devils Sight + Darkness Combo for advantage on every attack

Hex Blade is probably your best Patron btw for this

SaA
2017-10-21, 12:11 AM
.... ignore this post

bid
2017-10-21, 02:55 AM
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13
Scourge aasimar for 13 8 12 7 10 16 (with racial+ASI for Con10+1+1 / Cha13+2+1)
You need fighter 1 for heavy armor, chainmail + shield gives you AC18 without move penalty.
That leaves 7 level in a Cha caster that can stay in the back:
- bard 7 for support
- sorcerer 7 for blasting or buffing allies
- warlock 7 for scouting with chainlock and EB spamming

At this point, the choice is more RP concept than optimisation.

lebefrei
2017-10-21, 04:42 AM
Yes, I read your post, and I still say go Paladin. Specifically, Oath of the Ancients paladin. Most people that hate paladins hate them as a holdover from 3.5 Lawful Stupid. OotA is a good, fun guy that has a lot of useful powers, and with your base rolls plus the right class and ASIs he can shine.

Waazraath
2017-10-21, 05:27 AM
Assumption: with these stats, you want to find a way to improve your survivability: more hp, high ac (probably heavy armor with this dex) and a way to keep away from melee (so: ranged damage, but no bows because of abyssmal dex score).

Race: Variant human; +1 cha, +1 str, tough feat (+2 hp/level)
Classes: level 1 fighter, level 2+: warlock (EB focused)

Tactics:
- lvl 1: stay out of melee; use shield & heavy armor, with thowing weapons. If you can't help ending up in melee, your 12 hp, second wind and AC 16 are adequate to survive for a while. Grabbing con save proficiency is a welcome addition for later, when you go caster (warlock).
- lvl 2: Warlock; preferably fiend, for higher survivability, but that's not a must. You can get temp hitpoints also with Armor of Agathys or the invocation fiendish vigor, and since tp don't stack, you only need 1 source. Grab EB and hex. You now have a decent AC (up to 20 when you can afford better armor), decent HP with tough, and decent damage.
- lvl 3: grab agonizing blast for more damage, and whatever other invocation neccisary. I like stuff like misty visions or mask of many faces, for utility at will.
- lvl 4: profit. Add either book or tome boon, whatever you like or what you party needs most, keep increasing your cha whenever you gain an ASI, and go to town.

JackPhoenix
2017-10-21, 06:18 AM
Obligatory moon druid. Stats aren't ideal, but moon druids don't need them that much anyway, not even Wisdom, keep the spells for buffs/healing/summoning/utility, not combat use.

Citan
2017-10-21, 06:38 AM
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13
Well...

If you like the fluff and spells and want the easy way, go Moon Druid.
OR plain Eldricht Knight.

Moon Druid: you will suffer a bit for the first half but even with low WIS you can still do many useful things for your party (Fog Cloud, Healing Words, Lonstrider, Pass Without Trace, Water Breathing, Conjure Animals, Wall of Fire, etc). Once you reach level 10, you will feel much more confident in going on the offensive.
Either play your low-WIS and rack up utility feats (Healer, Inspiring Leader, Ritual Caster: Wizard, Magic Initiate, Tough, Resilient) or bump WIS.

(Hill Dwarf, Half-Elf, Variant Human) Eldricht Knight: you will get Shield to help survive fights, and you get the greatest number of feats, so you can...
- Either pump back STR and CON to decent levels.
- Or rack up utility and offense feats.

For example, with your low CON, you could still play your Strength:
either go with a heavy reach weapon and pick PAM along with Spell Sniper and Warcaster.
Or pick a few levels of Warlock instead and play a magic sniper, taking all Eldricht Blast related invocations and bumping CHA along with Spell Sniper.
Or go full Warlock with only starting level of Fighter for proficiencies.

Spacehamster
2017-10-21, 07:08 AM
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13

Wood elf moon druid, use a shield and quarterstaff + studded leather when in humanoid form, mostly stay in beast form and use spell slots to heal your animal form, 4 ASI's towards WIS and last one for a feat or maybe CON 12.

ASI 1: +1 INT, +1 WIS
ASI 2,3 & 4 +2 WIS
ASI 5 I would prob take mobile.

Ferrin33
2017-10-21, 07:30 AM
If optimizing with these stats I'd go for a half-elf Fighter1/Warlock2/Sorcerer5, taking one more fighter level later on for action surge. Use Heavy armor, a shield, and cast Eldritch Blast with the occasional Quicken. This gives you a solid role as ranged damage-dealer, with sorcerer spells letting you have some fun on the side. Ability Score Increments going to +1 Cha/Con and +2 Cha So you start out with a 18 Charisma and 12 constitution. (Alternatively, could go for 15 strength so you can wear heavier armor)

Mara
2017-10-21, 08:04 AM
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13
Vhuman Battlemaster (+1 str and con) grab the heavy armor master feat.

At 4 +1 str and con
At 6 and 8 +2 strength.

Level 8 stats

Str 20
Dex 8 (you are in fullplate)
Con 12
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13

I would recommend going sword and board (dueling style)

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-21, 08:24 AM
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 7
Wis 10
Cha 13
Entering assumption: you begin at level 8, so you don't have to play your way there.
V human Fighter. Suggest Battle Master.
Feat: Tough
Initial +1/+1 Str and int; 14/8/10/8/10/13
ASI@ 4 = 14/8/12/8/10/13
ASI@ 6 = 16/8/12/8/10/13
ASI@ 8= 16/8/14/10/13
Skills: Intimidation/Survival
Background (Sailor) Athletics/Perception
(You could alternately leave the Int at 7 and make Cha 14, but I have no idea who you'd be intimidating ...)
Go for heaviest Armor you can manage.
Fighting Style Dueling. Sword and Board.
5 Maneuvers at level 8
Since I don't know who is in your party, I can't help you choose. A few I'd suggest.
Distracting Strike
Feinting Attack
Parry
Sweeping Attack
Precision Attack

Then again, take a good hard look at all of the BM maneuvers and see which ones you like. I'd suggest ones that are used as a reaction or as a bonus action.
Depending upon who is in your group, Commander's Strike may be what you want for your DPS machine's benefit.
Best of luck.
(Quite frankly, the suggestion to go Order of the Ancients Paladin as a Half Elf is a very good idea. Read up on that class, I think you'll find it fun to play. Very much a "life is good and I'm all about the good life" flavor to it. Whomever is a buzz kill is your enemy). You don't need a deity to be OoTA. You just need to be into fun. Check out the bonus spells:
MIsty step, ensnaring strike, speak with animals, moonbeam at the level where you enter.
And smiting is always good fun.
Aura of Warding? You'll have it, which gives your party members within 10' resistance to all spell damage.
That's pretty stout. And did we mention that your charisma bonus is added to your friends Saveing throw? Yeah. And you are immune to disease/ (Fear no aboleth).

Cybren
2017-10-21, 08:44 AM
All the official classes are in the PHB but there's subclasses in some other books like the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide or the upcoming Xanathars Guide to Everything. There i helped you find them