PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Damage Modeling Tool

Kreakdude
2017-10-21, 02:37 AM
So it started with a simple question of when should I use the "power attack" in my newly acquired feat, Great Weapon Master. I found out there was an AC threshold where it was expected to be better below the AC and worse above it. Anyway, I got in deep. Here's what I came up with. What do you think?

https:// docs.google.com/document/d/1r4i0RsHfcaE4aEtksmY5E5tCLylQeiZIj8zN8FKqYTk/edit?usp=sharing

(Sorry I can't post an actual link yet)

Contrast
2017-10-21, 02:56 AM
These are all your +damage mods such as adding your Proficiency modifier, Strength/Dexterity modifier, magic weapon bonus, etc.

For clarity - is there anything that lets you add your proficiency mod to damage?

Also I can see you've included auto hitting on a crit but unless I'm missing something (which I may well be) you haven't taken account that 1 is an auto miss.

Kreakdude
2017-10-21, 12:13 PM
You haven't taken account that 1 is an auto miss.
That's true! Thanks for noticing. Maybe I'll include that if I update it sone more.

Armored Walrus
2017-10-21, 02:26 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373572-GWM-Reference-Table

Not sure if yours has anything new compared to what's already been done.

Kreakdude
2017-10-21, 03:32 PM
For clarity - is there anything that lets you add your proficiency mod to damage?

Yes. The one I know of is the warlock hexblade Cursebringer.

"Hexblade’s Curse

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on an enemy. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier.
You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest."

Kreakdude
2017-10-21, 03:37 PM

I'll have to take a closer look and check my results against that. I might be doing better math (taking into account more cases) or vice-versa. But right off I like that mine uses sliders for a more straightforward and lively user experience.

Kreakdude
2017-10-21, 04:02 PM

Yeah so the table you linked makes you have to calculate your own avg damage. Mine will do that for you. Sometimes calculating that can get pretty complex if you have great weapon fighting or if you want to know how much extra damage you'll do if you crit with a Great Weapon Matter resulting in extra attack(s).

Mine also allows for variable crit range. Also mine explains what's going on under the hood for people who want to verify the results.

Armored Walrus
2017-10-22, 09:33 PM
Sounds like a step forward then. Your link didn't work for me (still doesn't) or I would have checked it out before posting.

Kreakdude
2017-10-23, 01:49 AM
Sounds like a step forward then. Your link didn't work for me (still doesn't) or I would have checked it out before posting.

Yeah you have to actually copy & paste the link. This post is only my 6th out of 10 until I'm allowed to post links.

Arkhios
2017-10-23, 01:54 AM

Only for Beast Master Ranger's companion, but not for the PC's themselves.
At least not yet.

For further clarity, Ranger's companion can't take any feats, whether it was a revised or original version.