PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Infusions: How do they work?

D3agle93
2017-10-21, 02:25 PM
The title basically says it, but for some context and clarity:

I'm DMing a game where there's an artificer (lvl 10) serving as the main spellcaster in the party. I'm trying to discover what the limitations are on his ability to cast infusions as per RAW before I limit them via houserule. For example, can he cast them into already magic items (such as a ring or magic cloak); can he cast multiple infusions into a single item; are there any limit to how many infused items are in a specific body slot, eg. multiple infused rings; etc.?

Game is DnD 3.5, with just about every book and Dragon magazine available. 3.0/Pathfinder options that are easily translated are possibly available after review.

cagemarrow
2017-10-21, 03:44 PM
Basically they work just like spells but the target is the object instead of the person or creature. Whoever has the object gets the effect. At least that's how it works for the buff spells. Targeted effects work normally, such as heat metal.

I've never had a reason to limit the number that can be placed on a single object and never worried about magic items being invalid. Normally stacking rules apply so that two mage armors or bark skins wouldn't stack, they'd overlap. Many are already severely limited in use during encounters because of their long casting times and material component costs.

When I played an artificer it became more about the items made ahead of time and he hardly ever used his infusions during an adventure.

You're going to want to be more careful about the spells they choose for things like Spell Storing Infusion since they can pull from every spell list. My Dms always made me roll a spell craft check like I was identifying a spell to see if my artificer knew it to use or craft from, in addition to the normal requirements.