PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is the action economy for Unchained really that much better?

DeZrog
2017-10-21, 03:01 PM
I recently came upon the "Unchained Options: Revised Action Economy" on the d20PFSRD site, and I'm not really sure it's all that much simpler than the standard rules. You still have to basically memorize the table to tell what costs what, and ... that's quite a long list.

Has anyone tried it and found it better than "standard"?

DeZrog

dude123nice
2017-10-21, 03:43 PM
I recently came upon the "Unchained Options: Revised Action Economy" on the d20PFSRD site, and I'm not really sure it's all that much simpler than the standard rules. You still have to basically memorize the table to tell what costs what, and ... that's quite a long list.

Has anyone tried it and found it better than "standard"?

DeZrog

I've almost never heard of anyone using it with the exception of people trying it out after Unchained was released. People DO often use some rules from Unchained like fractional BAB and saves, but you rarely hear about the Revised Action Economy.

Feantar
2017-10-22, 03:27 AM
I've almost never heard of anyone using it with the exception of people trying it out after Unchained was released. People DO often use some rules from Unchained like fractional BAB and saves, but you rarely hear about the Revised Action Economy.

...Isn't fractional BAB & Saves from Unearthed Arcana?

Coretron03
2017-10-22, 04:16 AM
...Isn't fractional BAB & Saves from Unearthed Arcana?It is, but i'm pretty sure Unchained has its own version too.

Arkhios
2017-10-22, 07:01 AM
...Isn't fractional BAB & Saves from Unearthed Arcana?

It is, but i'm pretty sure Unchained has its own version too.

They're not two different versions, but the very same as far as I know.

Most (if not all of the) material from 3.5 unearthed arcana was opened up for free use under OGL, so Paizo is free to publish it as it was.

Yanisa
2017-10-22, 10:24 AM
They're not two different versions, but the very same as far as I know.

Most (if not all of the) material from 3.5 unearthed arcana was opened up for free use under OGL, so Paizo is free to publish it as it was.

Sadly the 3.5 table isn't posted online, as far as I can find, unlike other OGL content. Here is the pathfinder one (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/unchained/classes/index.html#fractional-base-bonuses). It is almost word for word to same, with one big difference. Pathfinder only applies +2 bonus to a good save only once. So the good saves start at 0.5. The unearthed arcana starts good save starts at 2.5, which still allows the silly multiclassing to bump one save to insane levels (50 as max...). (Pathfinder also changed prestige classes to remove the +2 on a good save, so it fits the M.O.)

Also, on Revised Action Economy, my two cents:
It changes the game more then just a rebalanced. If anything it makes the power creep earlier, which makes it hard to call balanced.. It allows 3 attacks per turn right at level one, or 1 move and 2 attacks. Also 1 round spells can be cast in the same round now (summon monster is the big one that comes to my mind). You can also cast a spell and attack in the same turn and there are spells and classes (Magus) that benefit from this. It's a interesting and different way to play, but I wonder what kind of group benefits from it. It's also to complex for most people to test out.