PDA

View Full Version : Class Guides after XGtE

Naanomi
2017-10-21, 03:02 PM
A lot of the class-guides (posted here and elsewhere but linked in the 'useful stuff' thread) are already pretty out of date... most don't include Volo's races; some don't even include SCAG subclasses. After XGtE drops, they will be in even more dire need of updates.

Any of our in-house guide writers planning on revising/writing some new stuff after we've had a chance to evaluate the new material?

Deleted
2017-10-21, 04:45 PM
A lot of the class-guides (posted here and elsewhere but linked in the 'useful stuff' thread) are already pretty out of date... most don't include Volo's races; some don't even include SCAG subclasses. After XGtE drops, they will be in even more dire need of updates.

Any of our in-house guide writers planning on revising/writing some new stuff after we've had a chance to evaluate the new material?

For the most part I don't think a lot of stuff really matters.

New subclasses don't really change much of the base class and as for races... Well, they are typically easy enough to see how they have synergy with a class/build.

It will be interesting to see what new guides come out but unless they went crazy with something, I just don't think it will matter all that much.

suplee215
2017-10-21, 04:54 PM
Depending on how much they are I can the racial feats making races a little more complicated.

Naanomi
2017-10-21, 04:57 PM
I agree that guides perhaps may not be really *necessary* in 5e... but the fact that none of the three monk guides even mention the two SCAG subclasses at all seems like a bit of a failing somehow

jaappleton
2017-10-21, 08:38 PM
The new spells might alter things the most. This will be the first batch of new spells for Clerics and Paladins since 5e’s release.

Deleted
2017-10-21, 10:51 PM
I agree that guides perhaps may not be really *necessary* in 5e... but the fact that none of the three monk guides even mention the two SCAG subclasses at all seems like a bit of a failing somehow

It isn't that they aren't necessary, just I don't see much changing. WotC is pretty scared of doing anything with 5e.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-10-21, 10:55 PM
If nothing else, a new (or old) player can learn a thing or two about evaluating their options from reading the extant class guides, and hopefully apply that knowledge to all this new material. Maybe what we need now is a "meta-guide" for doing exactly that.

Slipperychicken
2017-10-22, 11:59 AM
I think 5e in its current state is easy enough to use that we don't need class handbooks. Maybe when the chargen-options bloat and power-creep really kick in, we might need something like that.

Deleted
2017-10-22, 12:31 PM
I think 5e in its current state is easy enough to use that we don't need class handbooks. Maybe when the chargen-options bloat and power-creep really kick in, we might need something like that.

God, that will be a beautiful day.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-22, 01:10 PM
I’ll certainly have a look out for any of the new subclasses (or other content) to have synergies with other classes and update my multiclassing guide accordingly.

I’m excited for the potentials opened up by things like Kensei, provided they make it not suck.

Hexblade opens up lots of SAD builds.