PDA

View Full Version : how to get ultra high AC

Chugger
2017-10-22, 04:06 AM
I've been thinking about how to get really high AC, and what I don't mean is lvl 20 barb AC - I may never reach lvl 20 anything. I'm talking about really high AC's one can reasonably reach before, oh, lvl 10 - or a bit after that maybe. And by really high AC I mean 30 if possible _without shield_. Or as close to it as you can.

Towards this end, let me say that in AL it's not at all hard to get a +1 shield and a cloak of protection. Getting +1 plate is harder but doable. The ion stone of protection drops in I think 2 adventures - so you can trade for it. Things of this sort (just mentioned) are obtainable without insane luck or work by teir 2. Things like the sword Defender may drop but are rare. Things that do +2 or +3 you can't count on getting - or maybe if you do a lot of DM'ing you can award yourself them - so we can discuss them. But let's please then have a two-fold discussion - the easy and the hard.

Here's where I'm stuck at the "easy" way:

Plate and shield both +1 = AC 22.

Fighting Style Defense = AC 23.

Cloak of Protection = AC 24.

Ion stone or maybe a ring = AC 25. (the ring may be too hard to get for easy mode)

At this point Shield of Faith would get you AC 27, but you can't count on that. You can be out of slots. You can lose conc.

Shield, if you multi'd into sorc to get it, would get you AC 32 situationally, which is quite good, but I'm wondering what I'm missing. Is there some other "relatively easy" way to get an AC boost highter than AC 25 without a spell or potion?

Okay, the hard way.

Plate and shield both +2 = AC 24 (+3 considered below)

Fighting Style Defense = AC 25

Cloak of Protection = AC 26

Ion stone of Protection = AC 27

Defender (magic item) +3 put into AC = AC 30. (attunement is used up at this point)

Plate and Shield each +3 = AC 32.

AC 32 is good - shield of faith = AC 34 and shield = AC 39.

But what am I missing please? I know I'm missing other ways to get AC up. Thanks.

JNAProductions
2017-10-22, 05:26 AM
Find a source of cover. That's +2/+5 to AC.

Citan
2017-10-22, 05:30 AM
I've been thinking about how to get really high AC, and what I don't mean is lvl 20 barb AC - I may never reach lvl 20 anything. I'm talking about really high AC's one can reasonably reach before, oh, lvl 10 - or a bit after that maybe. And by really high AC I mean 30 if possible _without shield_. Or as close to it as you can.

Towards this end, let me say that in AL it's not at all hard to get a +1 shield and a cloak of protection. Getting +1 plate is harder but doable. The ion stone of protection drops in I think 2 adventures - so you can trade for it. Things of this sort (just mentioned) are obtainable without insane luck or work by teir 2. Things like the sword Defender may drop but are rare. Things that do +2 or +3 you can't count on getting - or maybe if you do a lot of DM'ing you can award yourself them - so we can discuss them. But let's please then have a two-fold discussion - the easy and the hard.

Here's where I'm stuck at the "easy" way:

Plate and shield both +1 = AC 22.

Fighting Style Defense = AC 23.

Cloak of Protection = AC 24.

Ion stone or maybe a ring = AC 25. (the ring may be too hard to get for easy mode)

At this point Shield of Faith would get you AC 27, but you can't count on that. You can be out of slots. You can lose conc.

Shield, if you multi'd into sorc to get it, would get you AC 32 situationally, which is quite good, but I'm wondering what I'm missing. Is there some other "relatively easy" way to get an AC boost highter than AC 25 without a spell or potion?

Okay, the hard way.

Plate and shield both +2 = AC 24 (+3 considered below)

Fighting Style Defense = AC 25

Cloak of Protection = AC 26

Ion stone of Protection = AC 27

Defender (magic item) +3 put into AC = AC 30. (attunement is used up at this point)

Plate and Shield each +3 = AC 32.

AC 32 is good - shield of faith = AC 34 and shield = AC 39.

But what am I missing please? I know I'm missing other ways to get AC up. Thanks.
Honestly, I don't think you missed anything as far as having the highest permanent AC goes. Obviously those magic items do all the work.
Now, if you are looking to something sustainable in an encounter, I'd look towards an optimized Bladesinger with Mage Armor + Bladesong, topping at 18+5=23. Since you can also wear light armor, if you find +2 light armor it will end as marginally better than Mage Armor.
Also as you can see for yourself, you basically just top what you can achieve with proper class and armor. Although the "armor-based" AC has some drawbacks, including heavy weight and stealth penalty, while the Bladesinger is mobile, lightweight, and can also stack Mirror Image and Haste or Greater Invisibility on top of this.

The only better AC you can have that is sustainable during an encounter is being a either a high-level Monk, or a low-level Monk that multiclassed into Fighter or something else to get good base armor, and spend all Ki on Dodging as a bonus action every round.

Other ways to cut attacks / improve AC include...
- Cutting Words (Lore Bard 5, CHA per short rest), uses reaction
- Defensive Duelist, +prof to AC, uses reaction
- Parry (Battlemaster 3+, manoeuver dices per short rest), uses reaction.
- and all the spells (Shield, Mirror Image, Blur, Greater Invisibility, Blink, etc).
Especially those spells that result in imposing disadvantage to attacks made against you. To get an idea, with an AC=20 and bonus to attack 10 (to keep things simple), the creature's chance to hit would drop from ~50% to ~30%. If you have AC 25, chances would go from 30% to 9%. That's also why Dodge as bonus action is so good.

So, in short, it is difficult to achieve everything you want at once (great HP = great CON, great AC, mobility and stealth).
At first levels, the heavy armor way is the easiest.
At mid levels, any caster that can get 17/18 AC and get pure defense buffs will be as good or better as the heavy-armor in avoiding attacks, as well as any martial built and played for resilience.
At high levels, nobody can match a Monk (especially Long Death) or Ancients Paladin in terms of general resilience, and all Wizards come damn close thanks to free Shield (with Bladesinging trumping everyone AC-wise, Abjurer taking the lead in all other aspects thanks to magic resistance and advantage on saves IIRC).

Also, all this does not include UA content.
If you do so...
- College of Swords allows you to use Bardic Inspiration to add to AC.
- Mystic, from the few memories I have, get some crazy powerful defensive stuff...
And there are certainly numerous other things I forgot.

Arkhios
2017-10-22, 08:02 AM
Warforged gets +1 AC with or without Armor so there's that. But it's currently only in UA form.

Throne12
2017-10-22, 08:59 AM
1lv of fighter for fighting style +1 AC then go bladesinger. V-human feat dual weirder +1 AC. Now you have a set of magic studded leather giving 13+dex=18. Now you can add your int=5 thanks to bladesong. Then cast haste on your self +2. Then you can cast shield when need +5.

So you have a AC 27 or 32 with shield spell. Now if you get a cloak and ring of Protection then get a Defender shortsword giving +3 that's a AC 32 with all attunement slots filled. Now the armor, ring, and cloak are all +1. If you get +2 armor it's a 33 AC.

Tip +x armor doesn't require attunment.

mgshamster
2017-10-22, 09:06 AM
Do note that obtaining that many magic it's in AL is really challenging.

Those who have fewer magic items than you get first pick, and very few people will pass up AC boosting items, or even trade them away unless it's for something really good.

Most AL adventures only drop one magic item, so you'd have to play a lot, which ramps up your XP and gets you out of the level range you're looking at - the ones that drop more are typically multi-chaptered. And certain magic items only drop on special adventures that are only available at conventions.

Being reliant on magic items is no easy task. You'd have to convince a lot of fellow players to give up their own shot at a magic item just so you can maximize your PC.

There are a few ways around it that I can see, all of which requires gaming the system or flat out cheating.

1) Cheat and Lie. Just lie about the adventures your PC went on and pick and choose magic items, or even play them and claim you received the item when someone else actually did.
2) Plan ahead. Only play adventures that drop the specific item you're looking for. There's a list out there that shows what AL module drops what.

Option 2 is obviously the legal route, but it's challenging to get all the magic items you want. So here's what you'll have to do:

Make at least two PCs. PC 1 will go out and obtain the magic items. This PC must never keep their items, so they can have the first pick in any adventure. PC 2 will receive the magic items; however, this PC still needs to adventure to gain Downtime. It costs 15 days of downtime for *each* PC to trade. The only exception to this is if they're both in the same adventure, but that can only happen through cheating (you playing two PCs or someone else playing one of yours). In the beginning, you can have both PCs obtaining items, but as PC 2 gains more, he'll be less and less likely to legitimately obtain them through adventure.

And remember, the same PC can't play the same adventure twice.

Chugger
2017-10-22, 04:21 PM
Do note that obtaining that many magic it's in AL is really challenging.

Those who have fewer magic items than you get first pick, and very few people will pass up AC boosting items, or even trade them away unless it's for something really good.

Most AL adventures only drop one magic item, so you'd have to play a lot, which ramps up your XP and gets you out of the level range you're looking at - the ones that drop more are typically multi-chaptered. And certain magic items only drop on special adventures that are only available at conventions.

Being reliant on magic items is no easy task. You'd have to convince a lot of fellow players to give up their own shot at a magic item just so you can maximize your PC.

There are a few ways around it that I can see, all of which requires gaming the system or flat out cheating.

1) Cheat and Lie. Just lie about the adventures your PC went on and pick and choose magic items, or even play them and claim you received the item when someone else actually did.
2) Plan ahead. Only play adventures that drop the specific item you're looking for. There's a list out there that shows what AL module drops what.

Option 2 is obviously the legal route, but it's challenging to get all the magic items you want. So here's what you'll have to do:

Make at least two PCs. PC 1 will go out and obtain the magic items. This PC must never keep their items, so they can have the first pick in any adventure. PC 2 will receive the magic items; however, this PC still needs to adventure to gain Downtime. It costs 15 days of downtime for *each* PC to trade. The only exception to this is if they're both in the same adventure, but that can only happen through cheating (you playing two PCs or someone else playing one of yours). In the beginning, you can have both PCs obtaining items, but as PC 2 gains more, he'll be less and less likely to legitimately obtain them through adventure.

And remember, the same PC can't play the same adventure twice.

Not as hard as you're saying. Some tier 2 modules drop more than one item, so your odds of getting the one you want improve. Once you get to know the AL people in your area and they trust/like you, they'll cut you some slack if you're going for something that would ultimately help everyone in future adventures - i.e. they won't nec. pick a good item if you need it and they only wanted it for some vague hope of a future trade.

TRADING - you can legally trade AL items on fbook. It's very cool. Oh, and at cons - if you can make it to one (not everyone can afford it). No one wants that ioun stone. Any halfway decent rare could probably be traded for it, if you want that 1 ac boost - though might take weeks to find someone. Trading for a ring of prot is much harder - because you get a +1 ST from ring (and you don't from ion).

But mostly FACTION PURCHASE. You have to get to faction rank 3 - i.e. do one secret mission for your faction - and be lvl 5 - and for 500 gp and 50 DT you can buy a +1 shield. Or a +1 weapon. Or if you're O of the G a cloak of prot. And for 5,000 gp (which is doable) and 100 DT (ouch!) you can buy a +1 set of armor.

Then the final way to get magic items is to DM. For every 24 hours you DM you can award your characters a magic item iirc from a module you have DM'd. So ... passing up winged boots or a giant str belt or any of the other many nice things would be hard. But if you run the game once that drops Defender, once you get 24 hours logged (iirc) you can reward one of your chars with Defender. I put this into the "hard" path because it takes 6 weeks at least, at 4 hrs per module. And not everyone has the DM skill.

So, unless I'm really messing up on this somewhere - and I might be, I'm hardly an AL expert - I think my breakdowns of what is hard and easy are quite reasonable for AL. Pls tell me if I'm wrong. Of course we can disagree on what I think counts as "hard" or "easy" - and I'm using those as more a comparrison to each other than an absolute attempt to brand these paths as such.

Chugger
2017-10-22, 04:25 PM
1lv of fighter for fighting style +1 AC then go bladesinger. V-human feat dual weirder +1 AC. Now you have a set of magic studded leather giving 13+dex=18. Now you can add your int=5 thanks to bladesong. Then cast haste on your self +2. Then you can cast shield when need +5.

So you have a AC 27 or 32 with shield spell. Now if you get a cloak and ring of Protection then get a Defender shortsword giving +3 that's a AC 32 with all attunement slots filled. Now the armor, ring, and cloak are all +1. If you get +2 armor it's a 33 AC.

Tip +x armor doesn't require attunment.

Thanks! I think you doubled shield spell - or am I missing something, but good to know.

The attunement I referred to above was the cloak, the ion stone, and defender. Not the +x armor, thanks.

Chugger
2017-10-22, 04:26 PM
Warforged gets +1 AC with or without Armor so there's that. But it's currently only in UA form.

Thanks! I wonder if Warforged will be in ZgtE? Then - well if it is officially published, it can be used in AL. Otherwise good to know for non-AL games a that allow it.

Chugger
2017-10-22, 04:35 PM
Honestly, I don't think you missed anything as far as having the highest permanent AC goes. Obviously those magic items do all the work.
Now, if you are looking to something sustainable in an encounter, I'd look towards an optimized Bladesinger with Mage Armor + Bladesong, topping at 18+5=23. Since you can also wear light armor, if you find +2 light armor it will end as marginally better than Mage Armor.
Also as you can see for yourself, you basically just top what you can achieve with proper class and armor. Although the "armor-based" AC has some drawbacks, including heavy weight and stealth penalty, while the Bladesinger is mobile, lightweight, and can also stack Mirror Image and Haste or Greater Invisibility on top of this.

The only better AC you can have that is sustainable during an encounter is being a either a high-level Monk, or a low-level Monk that multiclassed into Fighter or something else to get good base armor, and spend all Ki on Dodging as a bonus action every round.

Other ways to cut attacks / improve AC include...
- Cutting Words (Lore Bard 5, CHA per short rest), uses reaction
- Defensive Duelist, +prof to AC, uses reaction
- Parry (Battlemaster 3+, manoeuver dices per short rest), uses reaction.
- and all the spells (Shield, Mirror Image, Blur, Greater Invisibility, Blink, etc).
Especially those spells that result in imposing disadvantage to attacks made against you. To get an idea, with an AC=20 and bonus to attack 10 (to keep things simple), the creature's chance to hit would drop from ~50% to ~30%. If you have AC 25, chances would go from 30% to 9%. That's also why Dodge as bonus action is so good.

So, in short, it is difficult to achieve everything you want at once (great HP = great CON, great AC, mobility and stealth).
At first levels, the heavy armor way is the easiest.
At mid levels, any caster that can get 17/18 AC and get pure defense buffs will be as good or better as the heavy-armor in avoiding attacks, as well as any martial built and played for resilience.
At high levels, nobody can match a Monk (especially Long Death) or Ancients Paladin in terms of general resilience, and all Wizards come damn close thanks to free Shield (with Bladesinging trumping everyone AC-wise, Abjurer taking the lead in all other aspects thanks to magic resistance and advantage on saves IIRC).

Also, all this does not include UA content.
If you do so...
- College of Swords allows you to use Bardic Inspiration to add to AC.
- Mystic, from the few memories I have, get some crazy powerful defensive stuff...
And there are certainly numerous other things I forgot.

Thanks! Very thorough answer - I appreciate your work!

So right, if I'm going for really high AC I'm probably gonna multi (like if Pal I'll multi sorc - or I'll be an EK and not have to multi) to get shield.

Will have to investigate bladesinging - you and others mentioned it. THanks.

Ooo and I forgot about BM's Parry. Well it or shield - I think they fight over reaction use. But it's a good one to keep in mind - a fallback when out of slots.

And yes, there are classes that can do outrageous defensive moves - the monks burning ki to attack and dodge. Sorcadin has access to shield and can quicken a GFB (and add a DS on a hit) or a spell cast while using main action to Dodge or cast Blade Ward (Dodge would probably be fine for resilience, better in many cases - though BW's resistance might be good in situational spots). Thanks. Mostly on this thread am trying to get a sense of what AC is possible and what has to be done to get it. But yes, knowing all the various tricks for resilience or survivability is good. Thx.

Rogerdodger557
2017-10-23, 06:24 AM
Going Wizard 1/EK X can get you some pretty sweet AC. Plate, Shield, if you can get your hands on a Staff of Power(grants +2 AC, saves, (Spell) Attack Bonus, damage) and a shield of any sort will get you +4 AC. And instead of Shield of Faith, you can get Haste, which still gets you +2 AC, but has more benefits. If you decided to dual wield with a defender weapon, then you could get a +4 from just having it in your off-hand. So, for the calculations, assuming EK 15/ Wizard 1:

+3 Plate/Shield = 26 AC

Defense Fighting Style: +1 = 27 AC

Staff of Power +2 = 29 AC

Cloak of Protection: +1 = 30 AC

Ioun Stone of Protection: +1 = 31 AC

Haste: +2 = 33 AC

Shield: +5 = 38 AC

While this doesn't get to 39, this is from 1 party member, and there might be a cleric or two who will cast Shield of Faith and/or Warding Bond on you, getting the max between 39 - 41. While the defender weapon would provide a +3, the Staff of power is more useful overall.

Arkhios
2017-10-23, 06:33 AM
Thanks! I wonder if Warforged will be in ZgtE? Then - well if it is officially published, it can be used in AL. Otherwise good to know for non-AL games a that allow it.

XgtE won't include new races, unfortunately.

See for yourself:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMmjxfTUMAAT_Tn.jpg

Citan
2017-10-23, 11:25 AM
Thanks! Very thorough answer - I appreciate your work!

So right, if I'm going for really high AC I'm probably gonna multi (like if Pal I'll multi sorc - or I'll be an EK and not have to multi) to get shield.

Will have to investigate bladesinging - you and others mentioned it. THanks.

Ooo and I forgot about BM's Parry. Well it or shield - I think they fight over reaction use. But it's a good one to keep in mind - a fallback when out of slots.

And yes, there are classes that can do outrageous defensive moves - the monks burning ki to attack and dodge. Sorcadin has access to shield and can quicken a GFB (and add a DS on a hit) or a spell cast while using main action to Dodge or cast Blade Ward (Dodge would probably be fine for resilience, better in many cases - though BW's resistance might be good in situational spots). Thanks. Mostly on this thread am trying to get a sense of what AC is possible and what has to be done to get it. But yes, knowing all the various tricks for resilience or survivability is good. Thx.
Honestly, if you want to goal for general resilience, in theory, nothing would best a Long Death Monk 14 / Paladin 6.

For lower levels, I'd totally put my bet on a Wizard / Monk combo. You have several ways to go at this...
- Try to balance everything to keep use for Stunning Strike and make just a magical Monk, in which case you will indeed suffer for a long time. Best bet is to just use Mage Armor, max DEX, and keep starting INT for only utility. Then Abjurer, Evoker or Diviner would be the best schools depending intended max Wizard level.
- Or just totally ditch WIS (so WIS 14), get good armor thanks to Mage Armor, and just take up to 4 levels of "Dodging" Monk to complement your Bladesinger. But it's a net loss at character level 18 (at which a pure Wizard would get free Shield).
- Or make a true gish, still Bladesinger, but agreeing to get a redundant Extra Attack to instead get a great balance (like Long Death Monk 11 or Open Hand 9 or Four Elements 7).

But honestly that would be for the fun of answering the "high AC" challenge. Resilience overall is made of many things, between avoiding attacks, making yourself harder to hit, reducing damage, preventing others to target yourself in the first place...
So I'd take a "reasonably high AC -like 20- with added defensive spells or features" over "stupidly high AC but otherwise naked" any day, every day. ;)

jaappleton
2017-10-23, 11:29 AM
Any way to incorporate Bladesong to get +Int Mod to AC?

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-23, 12:20 PM
There are a bunch of different ways to approach high armor class.
Some good answers here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/67197/22566)

The question is, what magical items to you have?
What limits does the DM put on Dexterity?
Which three items do you want to attune/have/can attune?

If you have:
+3 Shield
+3 Half Plate
16 Dexterity
+1 Ring of Protection
15+2+9+1 = 27
If you have +1 Shield and +1 Half Plate and the same other stuff ...
Add in fighting style of Defensive and it's
If a Paladin:
Shield of Faith adds 2, but IIRC calls for Concentration
Ioun Stone adds 1, as you noted.

27 AC isn't bad, but any monster still hits you and crits you on a 20.

Throne12
2017-10-23, 12:58 PM
A long death monk lv3 and bladesinger lv17 mc

Monk AC 10+5+5=20
Bladesong +5
Bracers of Defense +2
Staff of power +2
Shortsword Defender +3
Feat dual weirder +1
Haste +2
Shield spell +5

AC=40

Then you get temp up after killing things.

Citan
2017-10-23, 03:41 PM
A long death monk lv3 and bladesinger lv17 mc

Monk AC 10+5+5=20
Bladesong +5
Bracers of Defense +2
Staff of power +2
Shortsword Defender +3
Feat dual weirder +1
Haste +2
Shield spell +5

AC=40

Then you get temp up after killing things.
Ahem...
I don't want to break your enthusiasm but... How in the hell are you supposed to get 20 in Dex AND in Wis AND in INT AND also get Dual Wielder feat?:smallbiggrin:

But apart the case when you rolled stupidly high enough to need only 3 ASI to max all three stats, PLUS get Dual Wielder feat AND still get a decent CON, I don't see any way for your build to work...
Because AC means squat against natural critical, and a Wizard has a d6 die.
So it's nice to boast AC that nobody else could ever have, but if it's to get down on the first vaguely strong weapon hit (or the first horde ganging up on you)... What's the point? :)
In that regard, Tough would be immensely better than Dual Wielder btw. :)

And without high luck on rolling stats... INT could at least be doable with Headbands of Intellect and maybe some other item... For CON I vaguely recall some items existing... Of course this would cause a problem considering the "3 attuned items max" limit... ^^

Submortimer
2017-10-23, 04:05 PM
Going by something you can (soon) play in AL, Forge Cleric is the way to go.

So long as you have enough strength to wear full plate, you can have a 23 by level 11:

Fighter 1/Forge cleric 10

Full Plate: 18
Shield: +2
Defensive style: +1
Blessing of the Forge: +1 to your shield or armor
Soul of the Forge: +1 while wearing heavy armor

Toss on a Shield of Faith, and that's a guaranteed 25, totally legit with minimal multi-classing. Any magic items beyond that are icing on the cake.

The Highest Possible static, round-by-round armor class you can get on your own with this build would be 35. That's assuming:

- +3 Shield
- +3 Full Plate
- Any two of the following: Ring of protection (requires attunement), Cloak of Protection (Requires Attunement), Ioun stone of protection (requires attunement)
- Defender weapon (Requires attunement)

With a magic shield and magic armor, your Blessing of the forge can't be used to boost your own AC anymore, which is why this isn't 36.

Alternately, You could do 34, so long as you had Dual Wielder and two defending weapons. Still, that's not optimal. If you can get someone to cast haste on you, you'd have a 37.

Still, with a 35 AC, you can generally only be hit on a 20. The Tarrasque needs to roll a 16 or better to hit that. Find some cover, and he can only hit on a crit.

Degwerks
2017-10-23, 09:46 PM
Half-Elf Eldritch Knight 14 / Hexblade 4 / Bladesinger 2, with starting stats of Dex 16, CHA 16, INT 14. You're kinda weak in the rest though...
All ASI's from EK go to getting DEX & CHA to 20 & INT to 16 then Hexblade ASI for 18 INT. Use Defense Fighting Style.
Items needed are Robes of Archmagi, Staff of Power and any of the Dragon Masks from Rise of Tiamat or Horde of Dragon Queen adventures.

AC all day long is 28. Short rest recharge 2/short rest Bladesong for AC 32. Shield spell for AC 37 and Haste for 39.
Personally I'd stay away from Haste with the weak Con save you'd have.

The Dragon Masks let you add your CHA to your AC. Robes give AC 15+ dex. Staff gives +2 AC.

Person_Man
2017-10-23, 09:50 PM
Just note that like all overspecialization, unless your DM is just using modules, getting an AC above 22ish is probably self defeating from a meta standpoint. Your DM wants to make some percentage of combats difficult. They're going to do that no matter how you build your character. So if you put most of your resources into having really high AC, your DM is just going to use things that ignore AC and enemies with really high to-hit modifiers more often. So by overspecializing in any particular game statistic, you're denying yourself additional game play options for no actual benefit.

For this reason, if you're actually interested in playing a character with really high AC for whatever reason, I recommend you pick someone who can temporarily boost their AC to a very high number when they really need it, instead of permanently raising it.

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-24, 01:19 PM
For this reason, if you're actually interested in playing a character with really high AC for whatever reason, I recommend you pick someone who can temporarily boost their AC to a very high number when they really need it, instead of permanently raising it. This. Nice post.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-24, 01:58 PM
Best strategies to getting the magic items you want in AL are:

1) DM the mod, and DM at least 24 hours (a bit cheesy but 100% success rate)
2) Be VERY picky about what items you take. Since whoever has the fewest items gets priority pick, its not uncommon for my character to be in tier two with 1 or no magic items. That way, when something good comes along, its yours while your party looks at their piles of mostly useless items in dismay, and of course
3) Get to know the players and ask in advance if you can have x items (only works if ppl are nice and regularly there).

There is a tier 2 mod with a +2 shield, so if you play/run that you can have that and the +1 plate and cloak from faction. That gives you a base AC of 25 with defense FS as soon as you can afford the downtime and gold for the plate. That's some solid armor class.

Throne12
2017-10-24, 02:00 PM
Ahem...
I don't want to break your enthusiasm but... How in the hell are you supposed to get 20 in Dex AND in Wis AND in INT AND also get Dual Wielder feat?:smallbiggrin:

But apart the case when you rolled stupidly high enough to need only 3 ASI to max all three stats, PLUS get Dual Wielder feat AND still get a decent CON, I don't see any way for your build to work...
Because AC means squat against natural critical, and a Wizard has a d6 die.
So it's nice to boast AC that nobody else could ever have, but if it's to get down on the first vaguely strong weapon hit (or the first horde ganging up on you)... What's the point? :)
In that regard, Tough would be immensely better than Dual Wielder btw. :)

And without high luck on rolling stats... INT could at least be doable with Headbands of Intellect and maybe some other item... For CON I vaguely recall some items existing... Of course this would cause a problem considering the "3 attuned items max" limit... ^^

First it not Impossible. Secondly he/she asked what is the highest AC he/she can get and i just provide a build.

Citan
2017-10-24, 04:00 PM
First it not Impossible. Secondly he/she asked what is the highest AC he/she can get and i just provide a build.

Then if it is possible plz explain how to reach it.

mgshamster
2017-10-25, 12:06 PM

Then if it is possible plz explain how to reach it.

Specifically in AL, not a home game, please.

Khrysaes
2017-10-29, 08:13 PM
Forge Cleric in XgtE may still have the +1 Armor option.