PDA

View Full Version : Tyrion Lannister the Halfman and the Imp - fan fiction character build

Remover of Obst
2017-10-22, 09:58 AM
***warning possible GoT spoilers***
https://i.imgur.com/WWT9Ide.png

I was playing around with ideas for a halfling character and saw the picture of Tyrion holding a crossbow and it all came together with bits of Warlock (Chain Pact for Imp - 5), intelligent Fighter (Eldritch Knight - 8) and Rogue (Assassin - 7). A fair amount of poetic license was (ab)used to grant Tyrion magical powers and embellish on his martial prowess. I hope you don't mind.

Race: Halfling for the Halfman
Lucky
Nimbleness/+2 DEX check
Brave
Subrace: Lightfoot
+1 CHA
Naturally stealthy
Everything checks out here including Tyrion's acrobatics in the books.

https://i.imgur.com/71pIdOw.jpg

Background: Noble
Skills: Persuasion, History (lots of books read)
Tool: Gaming Set - Cyvasse board
Language: Draconic (High Valyrian)
Feature: Position of Privilege

https://i.imgur.com/YKNaNQ8.jpg

Warlock Level 1
Hex - I recommend saying "A Lannister always pays his debts" when cast. It works when threatening or persuading with disadvantage on the target's Wisdom checks.
Hellish Rebuke - Tyrion has some great comebacks.
Eldritch Blast - mechanically efficient ranged damage
Cantrip 2 - Friends
Patron Fiend - Dark One's Blessing

Warlock Level 2
Comprehend Languages - A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone.
Invocation:
Agonizing Blast - efficient damage
Devil's Sight - covers for halflings lack of darkvision
(alternate - repelling blast, better with if you have a polearm master like Oberyn as your champion)

Warlock Level 3
Pact of the Chain - you can name your imp Shae (or your quasit Podrick or your psuedodragon Bronn)
{Honorable Mention - taking Pact of the Tome for Vicious Mockery}
Darkness - pairs well with Devil's Sight and an aged cheese

Warlock Level 4
Hold Person - Useful
Cantrip 3 - True Strike or Blade Ward or ?
Ability Score Improvement/Feat

Warlock Level 5
Counterspell - Tyrion loves to spoil plans
Invocation:
Kiss of Mephistopheles - use your bonus action to send a green fireball of Wildfire at a target you hit with Eldritch Blast

https://i.imgur.com/fu3Y2zq.jpg

Fighter Level 1
Strength and Constitution saves
Prof. with all weapons and armor
Decent starting gear
Acrobatics
Insight or Perception
Second Wind - extra healing is nice
Fighting Style - Close Quarters Shooter (Unearthed Arcana: Light, Dark, Underdark!)
When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover against targets within 30 feet of you. Finally, you have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.
(note ranged attack, not ranged weapon attack)

Fighter Level 2
Action Surge - more actions, more fun

Fighter Level 3
Eldritch Knight
Weapon Bond
Spell Casting
Shield - Stay alive to stay in the game
Absorb Elements
Feather Fall - because The Eryie has a Moon Door and Sky Cells
Shape Water - keeping the drains and cisterns of Casterly Rock running well
Mending - might be useful to fix crossbow bolts or nets

Fighter Level 4
Identify - Knowledge is power

Fighter Level 5
Extra Attack

Fighter Level 6

Fighter Level 7
War Magic - Cast a cantrip and use your Bonus Action to make a single attack
Misty Step

Fighter Level 8
Mirror Image

If you start with Rogue you get DEX and INT saves and net one extra skill overall.
Upon multiclassing into Rogue you get an extra skill, light armor and thieves' tools.
Stealth if multiclassing
Stealth, Acrobatics, Deception and Insight if starting class

https://i.imgur.com/HiWyDhe.jpg

Rogue Level 1
Expertise - Persuasion and Stealth
Sneak Attack 1d6 - a nice addition after you have War Magic
Thieves' Cant

Rogue Level 2
Cunning Action - sounds thematically accurate

Rogue Level 3
Assassin
Killing lords and ladies since birth...
Bonus Proficienies
Disguise kit - helpful when you sister puts a bounty on your head
Poisoner's kit - since you have been accused might as well use it
Assassinate - You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit. (seems like this works well with Eldritch Blast)

Rogue Level 4

Rogue Level 5
Uncanny dodge - helpful if your mouth gets you in trouble

Rogue Level 6
Expertise - Thieves' tool and Insight

Rogue Level 7
Evasion

Feats:
Alert
Lucky
Bountiful Luck
Resilient - depending on what class you start with, you could use this to even out DEX or CON.
Spell Sniper - a nice way to get Vicious Mockery
War Caster - depending on gear and DM this may be necessary
Sharpshooter - I would probably avoid this unless you are thinking about using a net (see below)

https://i.imgur.com/nNxumRc.jpg

Gear
If you start fighter, you can use pretty much everything.
Mithril plate with embossed lions (may be you have a very,very nice DM that has a soft spot for bastards and broken things)
Light Crossbow (Heavy Crossbow and Longbow give disadvantage to Halflings)
Dagger and Staff/Wand
Wand of the War Mage (+1 spell attack rolls and ignore half cover for spells)
Shield and Staff of Power (+2 to hit, AC, saves)
Net (Apparently does not do damage even with Sneak Attack, but you are trading your Bonus Action attack so the target is restrained and it will loose an action to get out of the net. Works well with Close Quarters Shooter and Sharpshooter to avoid disadvantage on the attack.)
Rapier/Short Sword/Dagger/Garrote - if you want a melee alternative

Progression
I am considering starting Fighter and get getting at least two levels of Warlock before continuing up to Fighter 8 and leaving Rogue for the final levels. If you want to get access to AE, you can go for Warlock 5 sooner. Fighter 3 opens up some good utility with Shield and Absorb Elements. Going fighter early can get you 3 ASI/Feats by level 10.

Playstyle
Thanks to Close Quarters Shooter you can fire Eldritch Blasts from behind your tank while ignoring enemy partial cover while keeping half cover for yourself. Thanks to Halfling you can use Cunning Action hide behind your tank. In a pinch you can stand face-to-face with an enemy and use Mirror Image and Shield or Uncanny Dodge.

Typically play will involve using Hex and Eldritch Blast spam. Once you get War Magic or Kiss of Meph you can get in extra damage using your bonus action. Until the sneak attack damage gets higher you may be better off hiding to get advantage on Eldritch Blast rather than using a single attack. Check with your DM if they give advantage on all the of the EB rays or just the first for being hidden.

The familiar is nice for scouting and getting consistent sneak attacks.

Although you do not have a lot of options for attacks, you do have lots of options for Bonus Actions and Reactions.

Bonus Actions
Hex
Misty Step
Cunning Action - Hide, Dash, Disengage
Second Wind
War Magic
Kiss of Meph.

Reactions
Hellish Rebuke
Absorb Elements
Shield
Feather Fall
Counter Spell
Uncanny Dodge

So in conclusion, not a meta/optimized/crazy damage build, but thematically fun for a campaign that is going to high levels with a few things that play well together.

Jethro
2017-10-23, 06:37 AM
No criticisms, but wouldn't a Mastermind Rogue work better? Or a Warlock/Rogue combo. Or a Bard/Rogue Combo.

To me Tyrion is all about using his words and his mind. I'd think Lore Bard/Warlock would be a nice combo.