PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Spellfire feats

Jack_McSnatch
2017-10-22, 12:41 PM
I really like the concept of Spellfire, but I always felt that there should be more options for it than just damage or heals. So, to that end, I've started working on a feat tree, and have a prestige class in mind. I haven't written anything for the prestige class, and I haven't decided if it should be one class with a lot of variety, or a couple classes geared towards different builds, like a caster and a warrior. For now I just have feats, and here they are.

Spellfire Wielder: prerequisite; level 1
Benefit; gain a pool of Spellfire levels equal to your CON score. Spellfire can be used to deal 1d6/Spellfire level with a touch or ranged touch attack. Half this damage is fire, the other is pure magic (untyped), and not subject to resistance or immunity. Alternatively Spellefire levels can heal 2 points for each level. You can spend a number of Spellfire levels equal to half your character level, rounded up. You can refill your pool by asorbing spells. You must prepare an action, when an opponent uses a targeted spell, you may attempt to absorb the spell with an opposed caster level check. Your caster level is equivalent to your character level.

Spellfire Blade: prerequisite; BaB +3
Benefit; You may imbue Spellfire levels onto your weapon for a single attack. If this attack misses, the levels are wasted.

Spellfire Blast; prerequisite; knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks
Benefit; You may use Spellfire as an area spell. The area can be a 30ft cone, 60ft line, or 20ft radius burst, and deals 1d6/Spellfire level. All targets within the area must make a Reflex save equal to (10+Spellfire levels+CON modifier). A successful save deals half damage, unless the target has evasion.

Spellfire Counter: prerequisite; knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks
Benefit; You can spend Spellfire levels to counterspell. Your caster level is equivalent to your character level for this purpose. You must prepare an action to counterspell, and spend a number of Spellfire levels equal to the spell's level, including increases from metamagic. If your attempt fails, the levels are wasted.
Special; This feat is considered Improved Counterspelling for the purposes of qualifying for any prerequisites.

Spellfire Fist: prerequisite; improved unarmed strike
Benefit; You may imbue all your unarmed attacks in a round with Spellfire. Your Spellfire levels must be divided amongst all your attacks. For example, Sasha is a level 5 monk, with four unarmed attacks. She may have one strike deal 3d6 Spellfire damage, or three strikes deal 1d6. If these attacks miss, the levels are wasted.

Spellfire Retention: prerequisite; knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks
Benefit; Anytime you would waste Spellfire levels from a missed attack or failed counterspell, you have a 30% chance to retain those levels.

Spellfire Warfare: prerequisite; BaB +6
Benefit; You may use Spellfire levels to increase your to hit or grapple checks, as well as improve or resist Bullrush, Overrun, Sunder, Trip, or Disarm attacks. You add +1/Spellfire Level to your attack roll or check.

Spellfire Expertise: Benefit; You may add +1/Spellfire level to any skill check made with a skill you are trained in.

Improved Storage: prerequisite; CON 15+
Benefit; You may store a number of Spellfire levels equal to your CON score ×2.
Special; You may take this feat up to four times, for a total of CONx5 levels.

Spellfire Cloak; prerequisite; knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks
Benefit; You wreath yourself in Spellfire, dealing 1d6/Spellfire level to any opponent who attacks you in melee. The cloak lasts 1 round/Spellfire level.

Spellfire Overflow: Benefit; Add 4 to your character level for any Spellfire effect, including max levels spent.

So that's the feats. I'm hoping they aren't horribly overpowered. My biggest concern is the prereqs. I want Spellfire to be open to everyone, especially mundanes. Maybe even go so far as to put them on the list of fighter feats. I'd like more suggestions for other feats. I've thought about an improved healing feat but haven't done anything with it

nonsi
2017-10-22, 01:18 PM
I chose to approach spellfire from a different angle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534395).
Maybe you'll find it useful and maybe not. If you do, feel free to shamelessly pillage my solution :smallbiggrin:

Jack_McSnatch
2017-10-22, 02:01 PM
I chose to approach spellfire from a different angle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534395).
Maybe you'll find it useful and maybe not. If you do, feel free to shamelessly pillage my solution :smallbiggrin:
I do like it, and will absolutely pillage some of it, but I prefer the other way, with levels based on constitution, as it narrows the gap between fighter and wizard. Sure, a wizard CAN do it, but since I'm basing it on CON and character level, it won't benefit them as much. I am, however, considering an ability to spend spellfire levels on metamagic

nonsi
2017-10-22, 04:20 PM
I do like it, and will absolutely pillage some of it, but I prefer the other way, with levels based on constitution, as it narrows the gap between fighter and wizard. Sure, a wizard CAN do it, but since I'm basing it on CON and character level, it won't benefit them as much. I am, however, considering an ability to spend spellfire levels on metamagic

2 things:
1. CON-score points seems too much at low levels and too little at high levels.
2. How many Spellfire levels can one spend at each use?

Jack_McSnatch
2017-10-22, 04:35 PM
2 things:
1. CON-score points seems too much at low levels and too little at high levels.
2. How many Spellfire levels can one spend at each use?

Well to answer both, I included a limit. Half your character level rounded up, so it progresses up to 10 levels at 19th. For higher levels there's also Improved Storage, which doubles your pool and can be taken four times for a pool of con×5. There's also Overflow, which makes you count as 4 levels higher for how many you can spend. If and when I get to the prestige class, it'll have options for spending even more levels.