PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How would you rule Giant Slayer?

Jack Bitters
2017-10-22, 01:37 PM
So the text for the Hunter Ranger's 3rd level ability Giant Slayer reads as such:

When a Large or larger creature within 5 feet of you hits or misses you with an attack, you can use your reaction to attack that creature immediately after its attack, provided that you can see the creature.

This has to be one of the fuzziest rules in the book.:smallannoyed: My question is what does it mean in this case for the ranger to attack the creature? Does it mean actually taking the Attack action? Does it mean making a melee or ranged weapon attack? What about a melee spell attack, like if you had Vampiric Touch up and running from a 5 level wizard dip or something?

Secondly, if you provoke an attack of opportunity by attempting to move out of the space next to the large creature (assuming 5 foot reach), since its AoO happens before you leave the adjacent square (PHB 195), can you also immediately counterattack with a melee weapon before you finish moving out of reach?

Throne12
2017-10-22, 01:45 PM
So the text for the Hunter Ranger's 3rd level ability Giant Slayer reads as such:

This has to be one of the fuzziest rules in the book.:smallannoyed: My question is what does it mean in this case for the ranger to attack the creature? Does it mean actually taking the Attack action? Does it mean making a melee or ranged weapon attack? What about a melee spell attack, like if you had Vampiric Touch up and running from a 5 level wizard dip or something?

Secondly, if you provoke an attack of opportunity by attempting to move out of the space next to the large creature (assuming 5 foot reach), since its AoO happens before you leave the adjacent square (PHB 195), can you also immediately counterattack with a melee weapon before you finish moving out of reach?

It does what it say if your attacked be it a hit or miss you can use your reaction to make a attack. As long as it is within 5ft.

sithlordnergal
2017-10-22, 02:29 PM
It seems pretty cut and dry. If you are targeted by anything, from a grapple to an actual attack action to a spell, that was done by a Large or larger creature within 5 feet of you, you can attack it as a reaction.

Allium
2017-10-22, 05:54 PM
It means you can use your reaction to make an attack on that attacking creature. If you made a ranged attack you would do so at disadvantage as it's within 5ft of you. I don't think you can use your reaction to make a spell attack unless you have the Warcaster feat.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-10-22, 07:08 PM
It seems pretty cut and dry. If you are targeted by anything, from a grapple to an actual attack action to a spell, that was done by a Large or larger creature within 5 feet of you, you can attack it as a reaction.

Note--spells that force saving throws are commonly not interpreted (not getting into the whole debate here) as triggering Giant Slayer. Generally, it requires either a) an attack roll or b) something specifically called out as an attack (grapple/shove for example) to trigger.

You also only get one attack (even with extra attack--this is not an Attack action, it's a single weapon attack). Whether you can substitute for a grapple/shove is unclear (to me at least at this time). Effects that trigger on "taking the Attack action" don't trigger on Giant Slayer.

Deleted
2017-10-22, 07:14 PM
Note--spells that force saving throws are commonly not interpreted (not getting into the whole debate here) as triggering Giant Slayer. Generally, it requires either a) an attack roll or b) something specifically called out as an attack (grapple/shove for example) to trigger.

You also only get one attack (even with extra attack--this is not an Attack action, it's a single weapon attack). Whether you can substitute for a grapple/shove is unclear (to me at least at this time). Effects that trigger on "taking the Attack action" don't trigger on Giant Slayer.

Spells that don't have attack rolls aren't attacks and thus wouldn't trigger. Pretty simple. This is even more cut and dry than the Giant Slayer rules.

MrStabby
2017-10-22, 07:18 PM
It means you can use your reaction to make an attack on that attacking creature. If you made a ranged attack you would do so at disadvantage as it's within 5ft of you. I don't think you can use your reaction to make a spell attack unless you have the Warcaster feat.

Of note, I believe this is using a reaction to make an attack and is not explicitly an attack of opportunity.

Puh Laden
2017-10-22, 07:26 PM

You can only make special melee attacks, like grapple and shove, with the attack action according to the section in the PHB for grappling/shoving.

Deleted
Of note, I believe this is using a reaction to make an attack and is not explicitly an attack of opportunity.

It isn't.

Something something feats, something something dark side.

SharkForce

strictly speaking, the ability to replace an attack with a grapple or shove is tied to the attack action. note that this means monsters with multiattack cannot do the same, but it also means that most reaction attacks cannot be used to grapple or shove (the exception being an actual ready action, which allows you to ready an action of your choice, so you can ready an attack).

PhoenixPhyre
2017-10-22, 07:52 PM
strictly speaking, the ability to replace an attack with a grapple or shove is tied to the attack action. note that this means monsters with multiattack cannot do the same, but it also means that most reaction attacks cannot be used to grapple or shove (the exception being an actual ready action, which allows you to ready an action of your choice, so you can ready an attack).

You can only make special melee attacks, like grapple and shove, with the attack action according to the section in the PHB for grappling/shoving.

That's my understanding as well, but I didn't want to completely remove the possibility due to being AFB.

Spells that don't have attack rolls aren't attacks and thus wouldn't trigger. Pretty simple. This is even more cut and dry than the Giant Slayer rules.

There was a 20+ page contentious thread (dead now, thankfully, and probably locked) with that as the central premise under debate. I'm with you--i think there's a clear, unambiguous rule here. Others do not agree, and I didn't want to re-fight that war.