PDA

View Full Version : Ways to maximize Rangers animal companion?

Albions_Angel
2017-10-22, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

I must confess, I have never tried to do this before.

First up, I need to stress this, this is theory crafting for a VERY LOW OP game. We are talking monk is a viable option without fixes or cheese, wizards are probably the weakest and least useful members of the party, most of the time in combat type games. Games you would play as a first timer.

I have someone who is interested in playing a 3.5e ranger, but focusing on the animal companion. Yes I know Druid does it better. Yes I know ranger doesnt get it until level 4. What I dont know is, are there ways to improve the rangers companion? Are there options to let you take it from first? Are there ways to advance it faster? Can you focus on it as a primary thing?

Beastmaster of course exists, and is probably perfect for this player, but in the intervening levels between first and 6th? Or if they choose not to go that way?

A.A.King
2017-10-22, 03:20 PM
If you're starting at level 1 then one thing you might want to consider is the Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat. It's a feat any class can take and gives you a sort of Animal Companion based on your Character level. Not as strong a Druid's Animal Companion but stronger than basic Ranger Animal companion because his is half as strong as the Druid's companion (assuming you never enter a prestige class anyway).

ATHATH
2017-10-22, 03:59 PM
Give him a fleshraker and he should be fine. If you want to go even further, let him take the Planar Ranger ACF and give his Animal Companion the Vow of Poverty feat and the Touch of Golden Ice feat (you might need to remove his fleshraker's venom glands or something if you go that route).

Natural Bond is a pretty good feat, especially if your class/the Wild Cohort feat doesn't give you full Animal Companion progression. Note that, even in a full Animal Companion progression class, it can offset the penalties for having a strong Animal Companion (like, say, a fleshraker).

Goaty14
2017-10-22, 04:03 PM
If you ever multiclass out, Nature's Bond feat lets your Animal Companion (AC) qualify as 3 levels higher up to your ECL.

I've had a thing with having an Exalted AC... A 16th level ranger can get a Unicorn.

Collar of umbral metamorphosis, blah blah blah... Seriously, go check those out.

Finally: Fleshraker Dinosaur :smalltongue:

I'm not so sure what else...

EDIT: Ninja'd or swordsaged or something