PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Inspiration: odd dips that work for you

8wGremlin
2017-10-22, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm seeking inspiration, tell me about the interesting dips, multiclassing combinations, why you like them and why they work for you. I'm interested in any and all straight, and UA builds.

Kane0
2017-10-22, 05:44 PM
A bit of GoO lock with a sneaky character can give you limited telepathy, minor illusion, alter self at will and charm person on a short rest recharge which can be great in the right hands.

An Elf Champion fighter with 2 levels in barbarian and the Elven Accuracy feat can get ridiculous fast using reckless attack and a source of bonus action attacks (frenzy, polearm master/great weapon master, dual wielding, etc)

Mixing paladin with sorcerer or warlock for extra smiting power is a classic

Two levels of Rogue on almost anything that doesn't rely on a lot of bonus actions makes you very mobile and very annoying, taking expertise in athletics for grapples doubly so.

If you rolled good stats Eldritch knight can be combined with warlock to make an archer with tricks up his sleeve combining War Magic and Eldritch Blast. Rogue later on can add sneak attack to the bonus action bowhsot.

MrStabby
2017-10-22, 06:29 PM
A level of cleric works really well on a LOT of classes.

1) A lot of classes want wisdom anyway
2) Even if you don't want wisdom anyway for your primary class it is a solid save to have
3) You can pick up armour and martial weapons as a class feature (rather than starting proficiency) unless there is something you want even more
4) If you are not using your concentration for anything, it is a bit of a waste
5) In combat healing. The more people have it the harder it is to kill off someone by taking the healer out of the fight
6) Bless
7) If you do know spells, a 1 level dip gives you a load more. Typically 1 + 2 domain +2 for wisdom in my experience.
8) Some cool domain spells - faerie fire or divine favour can turn around some encounters

I also think this is simple to work in from an RP perspective. Your character worships a god. At whatever level you chose the PC becomes blessed enough to channel their god's power.