PDA

View Full Version : Bullfighting with Idiots

Galgano
2017-10-22, 07:11 PM
This is kind of a two part question in that it is two different questions with the same "Can I use..." at the beginning of it.

Can I ready a bonus action like Misty Step so that I could continue with a channeled spell like Witch Bolt (also, what a missed opportunity. I have to hold a twig or a focus in order to cast it. No Emperor Palpatine characters for me :smallfrown:)

Can I ready a bonus action like Misty Step after putting my back against a wall and goading an enemy into charging at me? And by that logic, could I get someone to run into the wall and hurt themselves?

Also, what do all the acronyms mean? I'm new to the community of D&D (but I've read the books before so I'm not new to the content) and I have seen RAW and RAI and UA and the like thrown around a lot. Based on looking up spells on the wiki, I'm assuming that UA stands for Unearthed Arcana, but I can't find any books with RAW names so I'm a bit lost on its usage. I've tried using context clues but I'm too stupid to puzzle it out. And while we're talking about acronyms, any others I should know about that people use a lot on sites?

MrStabby
2017-10-22, 07:16 PM
RAW=Rules as Written
RAI=Rules as Intended
RAF=Rules as fun

UA is indeed unearthed arcana

As to misty step - RAI (see above) I cant see how. Ready is only for actions. RAF I would allow it.

Kane0
2017-10-22, 07:17 PM
Generally speaking I don't think you can ready any sort of bonus action, not any way I know of at least. Still, seems reasonable so ask your DM.

RAW means Rules As Written, RAI Rules as Intended (or Interpreted, can vary).

nickl_2000
2017-10-22, 07:20 PM
I can't help with the rules much, I will let others help you now there.

UA - unearthed arcana. 5e test material on Wizards website
WotC- Wizards of the Coast
RAW-rules as worded. What the text in the rule books actually says after a grammatical deconstruction
RAI- rules as intended. What the game developers actually meant it to mean
RAF- rules as fun. Not how it was written or intended, but allowed at a table because it's more fun that way. A houserule for the sake of more fun

Slipperychicken
2017-10-22, 07:50 PM
You cannot ready bonus actions, only actions. Your GM might allow you to do it anyway however.

I don't believe there are any rules for damage from running into a wall. However, I'd consider ruling it as DC 10 dex save or 1d6 bludgeoning for every 10 feet moved in that round before colliding with the wall. A successful saving throw indicates stopping in time to negate the damage.

RAW = Rules As Written. Think of it like the 'letter of the law'. It represents most literal, direct, legalistic interpretation of any rules text.
RAI = Rules As Intended. Think of it like founder's intent, only with designers instead of founders. It represents figuring out what the rule was trying to do, and doing that.
RAF = Rules As Fun. I rarely hear this term used, but it indicates trying to make rulings in support of fun.
UA = Unearthed Arcana. This is a series of non-published game material posted by WotC online. It is optional and serves more as a kind of bug-testing than anything else.
PHB = Player's Handbook
DMG = Dungeon Master's Guide
MM = Monster Manual
EE = Elemental Evil Player's Companion
OotA = Out of the Abyss. An adventure module
OotA = Oath of the Ancients. A paladin subclass.
OotS = Order of the Stick. The webcomic hosted on this website.
PC = Player Character
NPC = Non-Player Character. A character controlled by the game master
GMPC = Game-Master Player Character. An NPC (usually friendly) who follows the PCs and is considered overbearing, unwanted, or a GM self-insert.
DM = Dungeon Master
GM = Game Master. The same thing as DM, but is not system specific. Just about every roleplaying game has the role of Game Master, albeit with different names.
DPS = Damage Per Second. It's a term carried over from video-games. D&D time isn't measured in seconds, but it's about measuring damage dealt in a time period
DPR = Damage Per Round. This is a measurement of how much damage a character deals within a round on average. It can vary depending on the character's actions and enemy AC or other defenses.
CC = Crowd Control. This represents hindering enemies in ways other than damage.
d4, d6, d8, d12, d20, etc = The different die sizes. The number after "d" indicates the number of sides. For example a d20 is a twenty-sided die.
PAM = Polearm Master. It's a feat
GWM = Great Weapon Master. It's a feat
GWF = Great Weapon Fighter. It's a fighting style (a fighter class feature)
EB = Eldritch Blast. A warlock cantrip, almost always used in conjunction with the agonizing blast warlock invocation class feature.
GOO = Great Old Ones. A warlock subclass. Sometimes "GOOLock" will indicate a warlock with the Great Old Ones subclass.
CW = Cure Wounds. A spell used mainly by clerics, bards, and druids
MC = Multiclass
LVL = Level
GFB = Green-flame Blade. A spell often abused here. I don't remember which book it's from, but somehow it involves a melee attack and extra damage.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-22, 07:55 PM
The Witchbolt/Misty Step I don't think would work, as you cannot cast spells during it. to ready a spell, you need to cast it. So no.

I doubt your DM would rule that the charging enemy would crash into the wall, since the point of a charge is usually to use that momentum to perform a weapon strike. So the charge stops BEFORE the enemy, and you not being there doesn't factor in until the enemy hits is how I'd rule it. RAW (Read as written in the PHB), there's no reason to assume that the character would keep going after performing a charge.

If you wanted some crazy antics like that, I suggest speaking with your DM on how to do it. Perhaps a bit of oil/grease before the fight and some bluff checks? Just because the rules don't work the way you think they do doesn't mean there isn't a way to accomplish what you are suggesting.

Some more abbreviations:

OoC/IC: Out of character/In Character
FR: Forgotten Realms, the setting that's been released
SCAG: Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
GWM: Great weapon master. A really nice feat for two-handed weapon users.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-22, 07:56 PM
One that took me a long time to figure out is Gish. It's not an acronym (and its etymology is somewhat unclear, if I remember correctly) but it refers to a hybrid martial/arcane caster character.

Slipperychicken
2017-10-22, 07:59 PM
One that took me a long time to figure out is Gish. It's not an acronym (and its etymology is somewhat unclear, if I remember correctly) but it refers to a hybrid martial/arcane caster character.

There is some contention as to what constitutes a gish, but the main idea is to have a lot of casting ability (6th or 9th level spells) while fighting competently, usually with weapon attacks.

Ganymede
2017-10-22, 08:04 PM
You cannot ready Misty Step to stay in Witch Bolt range because both Witch Bolt and readying a spell require your concentration; as soon as you ready Misty Step (assuming your DM lets you ready a bonus action), Witch Bolt ends because you're concentrating on another spell.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-22, 08:23 PM
Also, on the Palpatine thing: You ignore materiel components without a listed cost (which are essentially items so cheap they can't have one). Witchbolt lists a burnt twig, but you can use a arcane focus such as a crystal, orb or rod instead.

If you are VERY determined to get your Sith on, ask your DM if you can have a bit of jewelry on your hand (like a panjas), but with the caveat that you won't hold anything in that hand. You won't mechanically gain anything, but you got the flavor you want. The only issue is that it doesn't make sense that you can climb things without stowing it, but work that out with your DM.

Galgano
2017-10-22, 08:52 PM
I know you ignore the material cost when using a focus but don't you cast the spell from the arcane focus? I've read somewhere about people using different things as a focus (like a necromancer using their father's skull as the focus) instead of the four listed in the PHB, but is that a RAF/RAI thing or a RAW thing? I don't mind trying to go for RAI/RAF things but I try to stay as close to RAF as possible to avoid breaking things. I enjoy being all powerful as the next guy but if I'm able to one shot a dragon at level 1 then I think things might be a little bit unbalanced. Plus it just wouldn't feel as fun for me or the DM probably. But enough of that tangent, what is the ruling on different arcane focuses?

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-22, 09:07 PM
I know you ignore the material cost when using a focus but don't you cast the spell from the arcane focus?

Just says it replaces the components. Since the spell originates from the same place mechanically, this is a rule that can be RAF, since there is no mechanical benefit.

I've read somewhere about people using different things as a focus (like a necromancer using their father's skull as the focus) instead of the four listed in the PHB, but is that a RAF/RAI thing or a RAW thing?

Read as written, only the examples given can be used. Read as for Fun, I would say as long as nothing mechanically changes, who cares? That dead guy's skill is going to be treated the same as a orb in the hand. Read as intended...I'm pretty sure it was meant to be vague to give people some leeway for flavor, since 4e had much clearer rules on the subject and seems to be inspiration for those particular rules.

I don't mind trying to go for RAI/RAF things but I try to stay as close to RAF as possible to avoid breaking things.

If you use a bit of hand jewelry and RP it as being so ornate that you cannot wield a weapon/climb with that hand, I see no possible mechanical benefit of using it to zap your foes in style.

I enjoy being all powerful as the next guy but if I'm able to one shot a dragon at level 1 then I think things might be a little bit unbalanced. Plus it just wouldn't feel as fun for me or the DM probably. But enough of that tangent, what is the ruling on different arcane focuses?

"An arcane focus is a special item--orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length of wood, or some similar item designed to channel the power of arcane spells."

Unfortunately, those are the only rules I know of, which seem to suggest as long as it is a doodad you can hold and can't use as a weapon, it's probably fine. You should ask your DM what is going to be appropriate, but remember: It should cost you use of your hand if you don't want any mechanical benefits.

Armored Walrus
2017-10-22, 09:31 PM
Just came to leave this here, and to say, "Awesome thread title!"

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?18512-Common-Acronyms-Abbreviations-and-Terms

Malifice
2017-10-22, 09:43 PM
Can I ready a bonus action like Misty Step so that I could continue with a channeled spell like Witch Bolt (also, what a missed opportunity. I have to hold a twig or a focus in order to cast it. No Emperor Palpatine characters for me :smallfrown:)

Readying a spell uses your concentration. So it breaks Witch bolt.

Can I ready a bonus action like Misty Step after putting my back against a wall and goading an enemy into charging at me? And by that logic, could I get someone to run into the wall and hurt themselves?

Yes. With a trigger of 'spell cast when the creature gets within 5' of me, and before they attack me.'

As to whether they hit the wall or not, maybe. Charisma check to anger them sufficiently when goading them perhaps.

Galgano
2017-10-22, 10:09 PM

Heh thanks. I was thinking of the whole cartoon thing where Bugs or someone else would hold something to draw the ire of the bull (or in my case, my poor defenseless wizard body) only to have an anvil on the other side when coming up with it.
Although, I thought I remember there being a feat or a skill that fighters could get that allowed them to bull rush something. I definitely recall an ability where you could charge an opponent, but it had to be a straight line. In other words, if they got out of the way, you were screwed. Or I may be thinking of another game like Shadowrun. All these rule sets are so similar but so different. I get them confused some times. Also, I don't know if the quote will work properly. I had to get rid of the link that was generated because I have fewer than 10 posts. I didn't even know it created the link until I was stopped from posting. woops

xanderh
2017-10-23, 05:26 AM
Another reason you can't ready misty step while Witch Bolt is active is that readying a spell requires concentration. So if you ready a spell, you cannot keep concentrating on a spell you cast previously (like Witch Bolt)

Slipperychicken
2017-10-23, 07:13 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?18512-Common-Acronyms-Abbreviations-and-Terms

That list looks like it was made long before 5e, so take it with a pinch of salt; some terms are still in use, but much of the game-system-specific stuff is out-of-date or not applicable to 5e.

Unoriginal
2017-10-23, 07:32 PM
I know you ignore the material cost when using a focus but don't you cast the spell from the arcane focus? I've read somewhere about people using different things as a focus (like a necromancer using their father's skull as the focus) instead of the four listed in the PHB, but is that a RAF/RAI thing or a RAW thing? I don't mind trying to go for RAI/RAF things but I try to stay as close to RAF as possible to avoid breaking things. I enjoy being all powerful as the next guy but if I'm able to one shot a dragon at level 1 then I think things might be a little bit unbalanced. Plus it just wouldn't feel as fun for me or the DM probably. But enough of that tangent, what is the ruling on different arcane focuses?

You don't necessarily cast the spell FROM the focus, you just need to have it in hand. Using other things that what the PHB lists is allowed the rules, as the rules indicate you can use "an orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length of wood, or some similar item–designed to channel the power of arcane spells." as arcane focus. As long as it was specifically crafted into an arcane focus, you're good to go (so, if you wanted to take a stick from the trashbin and use it as a wizard's staff, it wouldn't work per RAW, but your DM can allow it if they want).

all the focus does is replace the material component requirements for a spell -provided the components aren't worth gold. That's why an arcane focus couldn't be used to cast Chromatic Orb.