PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Please help me create a race for a player!

bmc88
2017-10-23, 02:23 AM
My cousin is new to RPG's. I once ran a Star Wars D20 game that her and my wife played in, it lasted about 3 sessions before they got themselves killed. More recently we have discovered DREAD and have been having fun playing single session games. Now she wants to get into some more serious stuff and so we are starting a 3.5 campaign!

Just some background, I have been DM in 3.5 before for a few short campaigns years ago. I have also been a player in a game that spanned pathfinder and 5e. I think I am better suited to run a game now that I have played and seen it from the player side. I am also fairly knowledgeable about 3.5.

Anyway, back on topic, I ordered my cousin a copy of the PHB and a set of dice. She was so excited that she worked on her character concept while she waited for the mail. Most of what she came up with is fine, I explained the story and the setting and she told me where she wanted to be from. I told her a bit about the classes and she told me she wanted to be a cleric. I told her about stats and how to roll them, so she rolled her stats while she waited for UPS, she got a 10, 12, 12, 13, 15, 18.

Then she said she wanted to be half gnome and half elf who worshiped Garl Glittergold. I'm really not sure what to do for that. I don't see why it can't be a thing, and she is really invested in the idea. I would hate to discourage her. I figured maybe kind of crossing Wood Elf with Forest Gnome might be the most likely way that would happen? I would be interested in hearing about other probable or at least possible elf/gnome combinations... I kinda like Aquatic Elf and Wavecrest Gnome.

I'm not really sure that the stats would be that great. My attempt at a flavorful homebrew that I am trying to make useful for a cleric is +2 Con (anything with that combo of genes must be pretty hardy), +2 Wis (maybe the gnome humor mixed with elf seriousness provides a more balanced view of the world) and a -2 Int because Wood Elf...

So yeah, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int

Does that sound reasonable?

My first idea was to balance the two races stats. +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int / +2 Con, -2 Str.

But I didn't think +2 Dex, -2 Int was particularly helpful. I mostly just want to make sure my cousin has a good time. So I tried to imagine such a being and figured it might have an awkward build and so lose the dex bonus, but then still be a bit more hardy and so keep a con bonus, and also maybe it would be more wise than either of its parent races.

As for other racial traits I have no idea.

Mr Adventurer
2017-10-23, 07:32 AM
Why not just use Forest Gnome?

Is there something in particular the player is hoping to get out of this?

Not everything needs to be represented mechanically.

CharonsHelper
2017-10-23, 07:38 AM
Why not just use Forest Gnome?

Is there something in particular the player is hoping to get out of this?

Not everything needs to be represented mechanically.

+1

Just say that they're taller/heavier than other forest gnomes, but still small sized. (elves are on the small size for medium creatures anyway)

It even fits mechanically since forest gnomes get elven as a free language.

bmc88
2017-10-23, 01:05 PM
Ok thanks :)

Calthropstu
2017-10-23, 06:28 PM
I recommend racing apparatus of kwalish across multiple types of obstacles like a kind of decatholon.