PDA

View Full Version : Building a character for a political intrigue campaign

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-23, 09:46 AM
So our group has decided to play a political intrigue campaign (ie lots of backstabbing and game of thrones like debauchery) there will be heavy reliance on factions and there is gonna be PvP (Both political and combat, yes our group enjoys this we are weird) and there will be leadership and armies raised. So, I need a character who is a leader of men, able to cut down his enemies with both sword and word. I am thinking a fighter possibly a banneret (aka purple Dragon knight which although is unpopular but I'd like to buff my allies) with a noble backround because if we start with that in our campaign we get a small tract pf land and some influence in the world. I'm also thinking about using a mount in combat. If anyone has ever played one of these campaigns and sees a major error notify me.

Kane0
2017-10-23, 03:01 PM
I was going to suggest warlock (shifty invocations) + sorcerer (subtle metamagic), which is Cha based for all your talking needs but definitely less knightly. I suppose you could go Hexblade/blade pact for when you need to throw down in melee, if UA is on the table then stone sorcerer or the like also helps.

8wGremlin
2017-10-23, 04:03 PM
Seems like you have everything taken care of.

But if you would like alternatives, I have some suggestions.

First off are you allowed Unearthed Arcana classes?

Secondly, you are entering a political campaign, you'll need Insight and Persuasion in any skills, so Wis & Cha may be useful.
You should also look at what kind of rules your GM is using for battles.

Also mounted combat is thematic, but if you're mostly dualing, and your combat is skirmish like then it's probabally not going to come up.

Have you looked at the Valor Bard? It has a lot of the things you want.

but with UA material you open yourself up with all kinds of things, and if your willing to look at alternatives, you can go a long long way with other classes.

for Instance
Wizard(Necromancer), have undead troops, spread disease, raise your fallen enemy soldiers.
Druid, wildshaped spies, literally be the fly on the wall, speak to messenger pigeons, your adversaries horse, any animal you can get to help.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-23, 05:33 PM
Given the inspiration, how likely is it that there is PvP on the table? I think that would influence your build if you need to survive both against encounters and your own party mates.

Deleted
2017-10-23, 06:08 PM
So our group has decided to play a political intrigue campaign (ie lots of backstabbing and game of thrones like debauchery) there will be heavy reliance on factions and there is gonna be PvP (Both political and combat, yes our group enjoys this we are weird) and there will be leadership and armies raised. So, I need a character who is a leader of men, able to cut down his enemies with both sword and word. I am thinking a fighter possibly a banneret (aka purple Dragon knight which although is unpopular but I'd like to buff my allies) with a noble backround because if we start with that in our campaign we get a small tract pf land and some influence in the world. I'm also thinking about using a mount in combat. If anyone has ever played one of these campaigns and sees a major error notify me.

For this type of game I played a Rogue (Mastermind)/Sorcerer (subtle variety). Like, hot damn was that fun.

It was a level 10 campaign so my build was Rogue 4/Sorcerer 6.

Subtle Spell means you can kill or embarrass political rivals without being implicated and Rogue means you aren't being caught even if someone thinks it was you (Expertise in charisma skills).

PvP... Disengaging and dashing will help.

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-23, 06:11 PM
Given the inspiration, how likely is it that there is PvP on the table? I think that would influence your build if you need to survive both against encounters and your own party mates.

100% chance

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-23, 06:20 PM
Valor Bard/Warlock as have been mentioned before seem to be good compromises between social ability and not dying to a single dagger attack. I think if your party mates are going to kill you, getting plenty of NPCs on your side, not theirs is vital. Getting stealth also seems like a must.

Naanomi
2017-10-23, 06:28 PM
Lore-Bard Human/Half-Elf (depending on starting level) Charlatan with the actor feat... no better campaign for a 'master of disguise' than an intrigue campaign... and you can still get in on the 'noble' angle by making your charlatan ID be a (distant) visiting noble

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-23, 06:47 PM
Valor Bard/Warlock as have been mentioned before seem to be good compromises between social ability and not dying to a single dagger attack. I think if your party mates are going to kill you, getting plenty of NPCs on your side, not theirs is vital. Getting stealth also seems like a must.

I'm not sure how soon I'd take a dagger in the back but yes I hope it wont kill me lol

8wGremlin
2017-10-23, 07:24 PM
Does your race come into this, are the people you control the same as your race.

I ask because if you were a winged race, (Tiefling or Aarakocra) and all your troops are; then flying is a good advantage.
or High elves, with their 1 wizard cantrip
or Variant humans with a feat (magic initiate is very potent then)

Also a different approach to Nobel would be Folk hero, or Acolyte, or is it Noble is the only one that gets the land?
Because having the people behind you, or a religion would be very potent.

Corner the market in Religion, or Banking, or something can make all the political difference.

SociopathFriend
2017-10-23, 08:42 PM
I see a lot of magic options available and while these are good, sometimes you need just a good old-fashioned liar. Know what's better than a liar? An Actor.

Skilled at mimicry and dramatics, you gain the following benefits:
Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You have an advantage on Charisma (Deception) and Charisma (Performance) checks when trying to pass yourself off as a different person.
You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked.

No magic required, keep an open ear at court, learn to disguise yourself via mundane means (no magic hitches to give you away) and begin being whoever you need to be.
A Rogue would possibly prove best at this, although a Bard or Warlock would certainly bring a magic bend to it that will no doubt prove helpful in disguising yourself and getting around at night.

What did Palpatine do to screw over the Jedi? Not a thing- all he did was lie through his teeth and get the right people to do the right things at the right time.
What did Littlefinger do for pretty much his entire run of Game of Thrones? He listened, he watched, and he told everyone exactly what they wanted to hear.
But you have an advantage neither of them did- not only can you learn secrets- you can make them. Maybe a noble that looked and sounded exactly like Sir Jory was speaking of treason in the bar one night. Maybe the fair (and unmarried) Lady Jane was spotted consulting intimately with a certain Captain of the Guard that's too nosy about your business?

Making yourself not suspicious is only half the game- the other half is bringing your opponents down.

Naanomi
2017-10-23, 09:31 PM
Yeah my Lore-Bard-recommendation would rely heavily on Actor instead of magic... insulting people who question your disguise with Cutting Word is a powerful addition to the schtick