PDA

View Full Version : Weird monk as a weapon enchantments, a fun little thread :)

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-23, 12:02 PM
Hello guys :)

I just rolled loot for my game and me players got an everbright weapon and I thought how weird will it be on a monk.

Monks can get enchantments from a magic amulet and some another methods I can't remember and all the monk is considered a weapon.

The weird monk enchantments I thought about:
An everbright(MiC) monk: He will have a bright skin, immunity to acid and rust and the ability blind someone with his bright skin 2 times a day.

A sizing(MiC) monk will be able to change is size without limits, will he still be proficiency with himself after he changes​ in size?

Post your weird monk enchantments :)

Telonius
2017-10-23, 01:05 PM
Throwing/Returning are classics; if you get Improved Grab somehow, you're Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. "Come here!"

Menzath
2017-10-23, 02:42 PM
Seems like metalline would be a little op, and dancing would be just funny.

One makes you Colossus from X-Men, the other is for the lazy man "I don't feel like fighting, body, fight for me!".

On second thought... Would dancing give you another set of actions?

And if you got every bright, illuminating, and prismatic burst would you be a walking disco ball?

Morphing and changeling also seem wonky.

frogglesmash
2017-10-23, 02:49 PM
How would one actually go about enchanting a monk, and do monks count as masterwork?

Jack_McSnatch
2017-10-23, 03:00 PM
An exploding monk.

Or a monk with the berseker enchantment. Now he does an extra 1d8 when wielded by a raging barbarian.

Telonius
2017-10-23, 03:00 PM
How would one actually go about enchanting a monk, and do monks count as masterwork?

I think we're ruling that the Monk's parents paid at least 300gp for Monk-Fu classes.

Menzath
2017-10-23, 03:13 PM
An exploding monk.

Or a monk with the berseker enchantment. Now he does an extra 1d8 when wielded by a raging barbarian.

A Goliath with fling ally and a halfing monk. Then he explodes on contact and returns to his buddies hands.
Imagine adding in special weapon qualities.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-23, 03:14 PM
How would one actually go about enchanting a monk, and do monks count as masterwork?Pay money at character creation, and yes; yes they do.

Don't forget about exit wounds along with exploding. Kool-Aid Man your way to victory. OH YEAH!

Oh, and any enhancement bonuses increase your hp and hardness, don't forget.

...Flesh grinding?

Morphic tide
2017-10-23, 03:30 PM
A Throwing Monk actually has the amazing power to move 50 ft. with an Attack. Screw charging, they just throw themselves at the enemy.
A Collision Monk gets +5 damage on each attack, and also apparently has their fists spontaneously gain, like, five pounds mid-punch.
A Bodyfeeder Monk gains temporary health based on the damage done by their fists with each crit. They apparently drain blood from bruises, or something similar...
A Coup de Grace Monk causes a DC 27 Will save or be Paralyzed for a round on critical hits, immunity ignored. A much better Stunning Fist than standard.
A Wounding Monk deals one point of Constitution damage on each hit. This Monk is apparently spectacularly good at causing bruises.
A Vicious Monk deals 2d6 extra damage with each punch, at the cost of 1d6 damage to themselves each punch. Apparently it really hurts for them to punch...
A Merciful Monk deals only nonlethal damage, but an extra 1d6 of it each punch. They make their enemies wish their punches dealt Lethal damage...
A Bane of Good Outsiders Monk gets +2 to attack and damage and +2d6 damage per punch against Angels and the like. They specialize in punching light out.
A Bane of Air Elementals Monk gets the above bonuses to attack and damage, but only against Elementals of the Air subtype. They specialize in punching the wind.
A Bane of Plants Monk gets the above bonuses to attack and damage against plants. They are the best weed-puller in the world.
A Bane of Aberrations Monk gets the above bonuses to attack and damage against Aberrations. They are very, very good at punching out C'thulu and imitators.

Telonius
2017-10-23, 03:32 PM
Vicious. (The Monk hurts his hand every time he hits someone).
Ki Focus. (The universe shuts down, as a self-reference error occurs).
Dwarven Thrower. (Can now be thrown by any Dwarf)
Mace of Terror. (You are now a Boggart)

Darrin
2017-10-23, 03:33 PM
...Flesh grinding?

Heh. Amusing!

For reference: Morph Ball Trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?128988-The-Morph-Ball-A-potentially-humerous-trick).

The Viscount
2017-10-23, 03:42 PM

I feel like Warforged Monks at least would be of masterwork quality, at least if they have mithril body, since mithril is always masterwork. Don't forget versatile unarmed strike so you can apply enhancements regardless of damage type.

You can enchant via necklace of natural attacks, or you can use infusions targeted on the warforged which I think would work.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-23, 05:03 PM

I feel like Warforged Monks at least would be of masterwork quality, at least if they have mithril body, since mithril is always masterwork. Don't forget versatile unarmed strike so you can apply enhancements regardless of damage type.

You can enchant via necklace of natural attacks, or you can use infusions targeted on the warforged which I think would work.

They can be a kensai, I think it is from CW p49.

That way they don't need to be Masterwork.

BTW, a Warforge is Masterwork for enchanting him as an armor.

Thank for the replys everyone :)
Now I want to add a Monk/Kensai cult to my game that is base on perfecting fighting styles base on the enchantments they have.
I will make the cult leader a Warlock 12(ClawLock)/Monk 2(I like the number 2)/Kensai 10 that made a oath to a diety(source of power as a warlock and as a kensai oath) that he will create a group of perfect combat artists.
I made him Warlock 12 because I want him to be a magic items crafter.
Now I need to find a way to make the party meet them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-23, 05:07 PM
Monk unarmed strike explicitly counts as a manufactured weapon for any given effect when it's beneficial. Which means you can make it masterwork upon creation, and if so, it can be enhanced as a magical and/or psionic weapon.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-23, 05:11 PM
Monk unarmed strike explicitly counts as a manufactured weapon for any given effect when it's beneficial. Which means you can make it masterwork upon creation, and if so, it can be enhanced as a magical and/or psionic weapon.

But you don't create it, and if I remember correctly you can't upgrade something from regular to Masterwork.

And what craft skill will you use?
Craft (body)?

Elricaltovilla
2017-10-23, 05:36 PM
But you don't create it, and if I remember correctly you can't upgrade something from regular to Masterwork.

And what craft skill will you use?
Craft (body)?

There's a Pathfinder spell, masterwork transformation (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/masterworkTransformation.html), that turns any mundane weapon into a masterwork one. It's duration is instantaneous, so it can't be dispelled.

Alent
2017-10-23, 05:41 PM
A piece of homebrew/houserule I wrote after my own question on this topic:

Monks and other characters with improved unarmed strike may commission an Alchemist to alchemically fortify their body for 300gp, granting them a masterwork unarmed strike.

So when someone says "How do you have a masterwork unarmed strike?!?", you can look at them and in wholehearted honesty say: "A wizard did it."

A few choice candidates:

Drowcraft: Melt in the sunlight.

Phasing: Walk through walls less than 5" thick.

Tentacle: Crit people's brains out.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-23, 05:57 PM
There's a Pathfinder spell, masterwork transformation (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/masterworkTransformation.html), that turns any mundane weapon into a masterwork one. It's duration is instantaneous, so it can't be dispelled.
Now your Monk is Masterwork(not in my table because all my group don't like PF).

How do you enchant him? Do you have the right craft skill?

A piece of homebrew/houserule I wrote after my own question on this topic:

So when someone says "How do you have a masterwork unarmed strike?!?", you can look at them and in wholehearted honesty say: "A wizard did it."

A few choice candidates:

Drowcraft: Melt in the sunlight.

Phasing: Walk through walls less than 5" thick.

Tentacle: Crit people's brains out.

I like it and might use it if you don't mind as it also gives the Craft skill I need, Craft alchemy.

BTW, Your Monk melt in the sun is a great way to mess with someone.

Alent
2017-10-24, 03:25 AM
I like it and might use it if you don't mind as it also gives the Craft skill I need, Craft alchemy.

Feel free.

Tohsaka Rin
2017-10-24, 10:32 AM
...I think this thread just made a certain character build feasible without tons of multi-classing.

Throwing/Returning are classics; if you get Improved Grab somehow, you're Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. "Come here!"

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/11111/111111362/2975207-640px-gomu_gomu_pistol.png
You can do damage during grapples, right?

A sizing(MiC) monk will be able to change is size without limits, will he still be proficiency with himself after he changes​ in size?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/29/d0/a829d0965fcd904282907de441c3f922.jpg
Well, he'll be the same size as he is/turns into, so, yeah?

You want a really weird enchantment? Seeking on a monk of throwing. You somehow now have the uncanny ability to ignore miss chances with your punches. I've heard of throwing a punch, but this is starting to get out of hand...

EDIT- Tossed the images into spoilers. Safe for work, just some people use their phones on the boards, and might not wanna load 'em, or something...

Necroticplague
2017-10-24, 10:46 AM
Monks can get enchantments from a magic amulet and some another methods I can't remember and all the monk is considered a weapon.Having your unarmed strike have a property is not the same as having your body have that property. It's not 'the monk is all considered a weapon' it's 'the UAS can be made with any part of the body'.

However, if we're going to ignore the rules to allow for these shenanigans, Ghost Touch gives you improved corporealy/incorporeality("a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.").

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-24, 11:23 AM
...I think this thread just made a certain character build feasible without tons of multi-classing.

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/11111/111111362/2975207-640px-gomu_gomu_pistol.png
You can do damage during grapples, right?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/29/d0/a829d0965fcd904282907de441c3f922.jpg
Well, he'll be the same size as he is/turns into, so, yeah?

You want a really weird enchantment? Seeking on a monk of throwing. You somehow now have the uncanny ability to ignore miss chances with your punches. I've heard of throwing a punch, but this is starting to get out of hand...

EDIT- Tossed the images into spoilers. Safe for work, just some people use their phones on the boards, and might not wanna load 'em, or something...
I like your brain in a non zombie way.

Having your unarmed strike have a property is not the same as having your body have that property. It's not 'the monk is all considered a weapon' it's 'the UAS can be made with any part of the body'.

However, if we're going to ignore the rules to allow for these shenanigans, Ghost Touch gives you improved corporealy/incorporeality("a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.").

It will be weird for a property to change places base on the body part that is used for the attack, especially for ones that have a big visual affect like everbright("a big bright shape in moving on the monk skin" is weird just like "a very bright monk is taking a bath in acid, after she see you looking at her she become so bright you think you are blinding(Reflex save)" or sizing("a colossal lump is moving from the colossal hand of the medium monk to his knee while his hand becoming medium size and his knee swells to a colossal size")

BTW, nice Monk enchantment you got there.

Tohsaka Rin
2017-10-25, 12:31 AM
It will be weird for a property to change places base on the body part that is used for the attack, especially for ones that have a big visual affect snip or sizing("a colossal lump is moving from the colossal hand of the medium monk to his knee while his hand becoming medium size and his knee swells to a colossal size")

Gum Gum Elephant Gun.

The weirdness is invalid, when you have a fist the size of a small house.

flappeercraft
2017-10-25, 12:52 AM
Sizing + Monk = This (https://youtu.be/kyCjumbLPUE?t=27s)

Thurbane
2017-10-25, 02:47 AM
Sizing + Monk = This (https://youtu.be/kyCjumbLPUE?t=27s)

Or maybe this (https://youtu.be/eBG7P-K-r1Y?t=79). :smalltongue:

Eox
2017-10-25, 03:44 AM
The implications of Brilliant Energy are quite fun, especially since you'd have to be on grass or a horse 24/7 to keep from hurtling through the earth. Or, if your DM says the amulet is still solid, you fall a few feet into the earth and wind up entombed once the amulet slips off.

cullynthedwarf
2017-10-25, 04:22 AM
Feat: Flaming Ki + Flaming Burst/Blast, For when you truly want a Kamehameha.

Mercurial: get even more damage as all the blood rushes to your fist/foot

Dread: i am One punch man, Save or Die

Maiming: because a random Crit muliplier seemed like a good idea at the time.

Mighty Cleaving: so your fist can actually go through the guy into the next

Blurstrike: +2d6 of sneak attack as a monk sounded so good in my head

Commanding: i am the leader of this order and you did not pass *eyes shine*

Disarming: But i didnt provoke the AoO, DM, it was the Amulet you gave me that let me do it my body just went along with it

cullynthedwarf
2017-10-25, 04:29 AM

Actually i think he would not be. so one who was in a permantent state of flux like that would have to relearn his center of gravity for each change he made to himself. a shorter person has a mush different center of gravity then a tall person and thats just going with human sizes. lets really amped it up by becoming a tall as a halfling or as short as an ogre.

Nymphadora Tonks. All im saying

still fun to think about though

Hiro Quester
2017-10-25, 09:18 PM
the way to enchant a monk's unarmed strikes is to get a Necklace of Natural Attacks (from Savage Species), BTW.

Enables any weapon enhancement to be placed on a natural weapon, by enchanting the necklace instead.

The necklace description gives the throwing/returning properties as examples, as I recall.